Target
11,817 reviews

Target Employer Reviews

toy
electronic (Current Employee), Forestville, MDMarch 25, 2015
good place to work and good pay. at night you work hard but morning you hustle with the work.ghetto guest come through messing up all the time
Hostile work environment
salesfloor team member (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
I cannot speak for all locations but this one has poor management that has led to low morale. low pay and not enough hours. They expect open availability but there isn't a set schedule. shifts will vary. there is no opportunities for career development unless someone has left. "expect more, pay less" is how the employees are treated.
Corporate retail
Logistics Team Member (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Benefits, breaks, bureaucratic
Cons: management
Clock-in, work, break, work, lunch, work, clock-out. The job is great for understanding the processes that go into retail, but fails to create an environment, where employees can go and enjoy work. But that aside the co-workers are fine. Unfortunately the management failed to represent the target brand, by being the opposite of what target's values are, (Fast, Fun, & Friendly). Fortunately the lighting was good and created a better atmosphere than the constant overcast that is Washington weather.
Flexability
Logistics/Team Member/Team Leader (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: adequate break times
Cons: lack of productivity from others puts more pressure on you
I had the good fortune of having a relaxed boss who was able to work with me which did me a huge service later on. I learned a lot managing a group of 30+ people, how to quickly identify strengths and weaknesses, communication, disciplinary skills, leadership effectiveness.
The hardest part of the job was creating a culture of employees who cared about the work, enough so to complete it in an acceptable or above-average pace.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being given the freedom and space to work as hard as i could overnight when the store is empty.
Co-Workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 24, 2015
The co-workers here was very friendly and easy going. If you just started employment there, they showed you the ropes and let you know what needs to be done and whose to go to when help is needed.
A very inbred Minnesota company, but it's getting better
Business Partner (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Lots of time to volunteer, store discount
Cons: Introverts won't survive in the culture, decisions by consensus, not great for minorities
Target is an interesting place to work. It's a Minnesota company which is very apparent in the culture. Decisions are made by consensus, and you can't get 10 people in a room to make a decision; instead you have to meet with them individually. Decisions also take a very long time to be made, which results in Target being slow to catch up with the rest of the retail environment. The culture is big on what they call collaboration, but is really socializing. The norm is to multiple 30 minute "coffee statuses" with people and most of the time you aren't talking about work. Extroverts and those who are popular are rewarded with promotions and many high-level positions are filled with people who don't deliver results, but they are well liked. To counter balance the amount of time people spent doing other things, Target overstaffed. With the new CEO, he's moving the company to be more data-driven, make decisions faster and focus on productivity. Hiring a CEO from outside Target was a step in the right direction but they have a way to go to change their corporate culture. Also there is a lot of talk of diversity and inclusion, but that isn't reflected in their employee base. Many employees of color find the culture not inclusive and leave after only after 1-2 years.
Some people who worked here were great.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Highland Park, ILMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Schedule Flexible
Cons: Know it all useless managers
When I first started working here there were only a few bad managers. The kind who were rude and thought they knew it all without actually doing it all and just pacing around the store until it was time for them to go. Within my last year there I noticed that most of the new managers were like this so I wasn't upset that I had to leave.
Great Company - just need to figure out what direction they want to go in
Marketing Professional (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 24, 2015
Pros: see above
Cons: see above
I had a wonderful experience working at Target Corp. Here's a brief synopsis:

PROS
Great fun, fast work environment
Exceptionally talented and hard-working team members
Teams are always driving to improve processes/results
Exceptional benefits for employees (i.e. unlimited sick days, pay scale, etc)
Challenging and rewarding work
Ability to transfer skills and experience to multiple areas of interests (not just limited to the department you may have been hired in)
Team building between cross-functional partners is greatly encouraged
Best Method processes are regularly implemented but are not "set in stone" giving you freedom to tailor to your own specific business needs

CONS
Managers have too much input into whether a person can move or apply to another team
Bloated corporate bureaucracy
Blunt, direct communication between partners is often squelched in favor of indirect-third party"feedback" that is often watered down and that doesn't get to heart of the matter
Too many meetings that often interfere with needed desk time to get work done
Highly productive but quieter personalities are often overlooked for promotion vs. Type A extroverts who toot their own horn
Fun place to work
Merchandise Specialist (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 24, 2015
Target is a fun and energetic place to work, with a lot of opportunities for advancement. A lot of the team member are young professionals from all over the country.
Very productive & fast paced work environment.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Baytown, TXMarch 24, 2015
I enjoy working in a fast paced work environment that shipping & receiving had offered. I love always having something to do as I am a very motivated person.
Target is a good company to grow with.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), GreensboroMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Working holidays
I have enjoyed working there. It has taught me a lot as far as customer service. I did not like having to work holidays because it can get tiring after a while.
Target Review
Sales Floor Hardlines Team Leader (Former Employee), Dickson City, PAMarch 24, 2015
With hard work and determination, I started stocking shelves and worked by way up to a manager of three different departments. I enjoyed working with my team and had a good rapport with them and my fellow managers and executives. The customers were our guests and we treated them as such.
Good Company if you bring right attitude and work ethics
In-Stock Team Leader (Current Employee), Elk Grove, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Coworkers, discount, schedule flexibility
Cons: Management
Learned communication skills, problem solving skills, management skills, customer service. It is retail so the odd hours and shifts are expected, especially working for a larger corporation such as Target. My experience within Target has been great, all because of the positive attitude and strong work ethics I brought in day in and day out. I kept personal problems outside of work and vise versa. I also didn't get caught up with all the drama working in a retail environment brings and by all means I did not do any brown nosing to be successful within Target. I've been promoted 4 times all by having a positive attitude, completing what was asked (of course I gave a lot of push back on numerous tasks), and just worked hard at everything I did. Yes certain tasks are unrealistic, but voice your opinion, challenge what is being delegated, bring ideas to the table, straregize. Management is not always the best, but find one or two Managers you can genuinely trust and leverage them to your corner.

Key to be successful:
- Positive attitude
- Drama free
- Be mature
- Challenge your peers and management in a professional way
- Check yourself at the door (work is work, personal life is personal life)
- Stay clear of drama
- Work hard at everything you do
Productive, safe and fun environment to work in.
Flow Team Member (Former Employee), Torrance, CAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: meeting new people, getting to know the supervisors and managers
Cons: limited time frame
On a typical work night, one team would unload the trucks and assort the deliveries to their proper designated sections and take them to that particular section and would repeat this process until all the trucks were unloaded and delivered items were dispersed. The second team would unbox and stock any and everything in the numerous amounts of boxes and work on any unattended aisles and continue that process until everything was stocked on the shelves.

I learned how fast-faced this type of environment could be night after night and how productive their work can be while learning where things belong throughout the store.

My coworkers were all friendly and helpful when I needed assistance.

The supervisors and managers were very friendly and encouraged a safe and productive work pace.

The most difficult part of the job was the limited time frame of our team members to have everything unboxed and stocked within seven and a half hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many new people and making friends throughout the time working at this location and feeling compelled to do something I enjoyed doing for a part time job at the time.
worst job
Target Team Member (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CAMarch 23, 2015
i can't wait to find another job this staff here only cares to see you fail they already have a group of employees they like and no matter how hard you work to make it to the top they try their hardest to make you fail.i would recommend anyone to employ here its by far the worst experience I've had
High pressure and fast paced
Executive Team Leader (Former Employee), Livonia, MIMarch 23, 2015
The executive team leader role is an entry level manager. An ETL will come into a target store and run one area of the store like logistics, apparel, guest services, human resources, security, Food guest service or general merchandise.
ETL's will have 3-4 direct reports and 15 to 40 indirect reports. The ETL's overall job is leading his team to execute the great looking area or a great running process.
Along with running our areas an ETL will also take leader on duty shifts. This is where one ETL will be running the entire store for part of the day. An ETL can expect to be LOD 3 to 4 times per week.
About 50% of our jobs are hands on. We cashier, stock shelves, unload trucks, we really work side by side with our guests and our team.
The other 50% of our job is more behind the scenes. This time is spent training and developing our teams and selves. The time is also spent strategically planning for our next work areas.
An ETL Works about 50 hours a week. This will include one closing night a week and one weekday and weekend day of a week. This will also include working every other weekend.
ETL reports to the Store team leader. Each store will have anywhere from 4 to 20 ETL's and one STL all depending on volume. Most career paths for an ETL is to move into the STL role
Company is not bad, some locations are.
Team Member (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2015
Company does not have good practices for hiring management, as a result many locations do not properly handle their team, and this leads to them promoting employees who have no skills for a managerial position. People are not held accountable for their responsibilities and general morale in most locations is terrible. Everyone just wants to punch the clock, get paid, and leave.
is a good place to work due the multicultural and diversity plus respect to each other
Property Manager Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 23, 2015
Pros: perfect schedule in my position
Cons: work outside in extreme weather
-Typical day at work; check emails review my work load to prioritize tasks
-what you learned; every day is something new to learn ,in the technical side even though I consider myself a seasoned technician
management ; strategize vendors to reduce cost as well schedules
-co-workers is a friendly environment
-Hardest part ,when is winter and work in the roof with the RTU
-most enjoyablepart ,whe I get awards and recognitions
Bad management and hours.
HUMAN RESORUCES TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee), Savannah, GAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: other team members were very nice.
Cons: everything
Communication from management is very bad and fake. Advancement is almost not possible. Always cutting hours. Typical day was very stressful and you never knew when you were going to be coached. The harder you work the worst they were on you.
Productive friendly environment
Target Team Member (Current Employee), Dickson City, PAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: teamwork
Cons: benefits are not that great
The Culture of the Target Workplace. is a general caring atmosphere.
The hour that I work are not great tends to kill my day with just 4 hours of work and a broken sleep schedule.

About Target

Target Corporation operates Target general merchandise stores with an assortment of general merchandise and food items, as well – Read more

Target Salaries