Tasty Baking Company Employee Reviews

Very productive and learning easier, smarter ways to do a job.
Mixer (Former Employee) –  Oxford, PAJanuary 28, 2017
When we are told how much or how many of a certain pastry and/or icing we needed for the day we need to figure the time for the following batches to be made to either finish or get ready for the next shift. The hard part of my job was if I got a mixing bowl with a bad wheel and had to push 400 pounds of icing all the way down to the other end of building. I had supervisors but timing and amounts were up to the mixer because they knew how much icing for how many pastries and it was like being your own boss. I learned a lot of the various things we mixed and went from packer to mixer in a short time and loved to do a good job as that is what I was getting paid to do.
Pros
Catered lunches, gifts for maintaining safety and for donating to various places.
Terrible company
Route Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2017
the worst work experience ever in my life. Such a painful and stressful work experience. No future. Consider you don't have any other options.
It use to be a fun rewarding place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2016
Over the past two years the place has spiraled down since new management took over. It went from a place you enjoyed workin at to a place that you dread. Management is in complete disarray and blames it on the workers. People use to really care about there job, now they are there to just collect a check. The only thing any one can figure out is that they want to shut the place down. They can't be this clueless and still have a job. Don't waste your time here, they can't run this bad much longer.
Pros
A lot of good people
Cons
Mismanagement, understaffed, and low quality service
N/A (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 12, 2016
I was called at the last minute for an interview for the following morning with no flexibility. The caller from HR informed me that a manager had recently left the company and that they were sharing her duties. As to her excuse for scheduling a late appointment. I arrived the following morning after making an emergency rescheduling to my day, had a wonderful interview, mostly because I exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position and had a diverse background in the food industry. My interviewers were impressed. About 2 hours later to my surprise I received an email stating that my background did not meet the necessary skills of the job. I called HR to inquire, a woman informed me that it was a clerical error and they have yet to make any final decisions. This didnt sound like accurate so I emailed the director of human resources to inquire futher. She never responded..... I called a week later to inquire again, the same woman informed me that they have made all hiring decisions and I should receive an email stating that didn't get the job, which I did the first time....... I explained to her again why i was calling and asked why I was not hired since it's false that I did not meet the qualifications for the position. Her answer was short. She said she didn't know. She didn't conduct my interview. Clearly the enployees that interviewed me weren't apart of hiring process since my excellent interview and qualifications didn't translate over to the actual hiring offical. Well needless to say HR needs some work. The individuals that I spoke to on the phone lacked professionalism  more... and experience. The method in which they hire is falsely advertised. Do not waste your time applying.  less
Pros
New facility
Cons
Low customer and employee satisfaction
Horrible place to work trust me
Shipper (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 28, 2016
I'm a current employee of 3 years.We have daily issues with the product getting there on time. In a warehouse where truck come in and out..we have no exhaust fans nor any type of ventilation AT ALL!!. We have no set time to come in or out. The other night we work from 10am-3am only aloud 1-2 breaks for 10 minutes. It's a horrible horrible place to work I'm looking for a new job. Only saying till I find new work
Pros
Free cake
Cons
Nothing good about the place at all!!!!!!!
it was the smell of fresh baked goods
Packaging (Former Employee) –  Oxford, PADecember 1, 2015
this place was the best place to work for the people were very nice and helpful they praised you when you have done great work management was fun
Company Relocated
Credit & Accounts Receivable Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 22, 2015
I worked with Tasty Baking for a short period during an acquisition transition. I was brought in as the Credit manager to liaise between management and the credit team during this time.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 9, 2015
Challenging business, consumer preferences are changing day by day. Company tries to keep up with changing environment. Never a dull moment.
I like it
Warehosue Shipper/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 21, 2015
Fill out each order
Make sure skids are neat and organized
Count left over product add to inventory storage area
Data entry for inventory
excellent compensation and benfits, results oriented
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 2, 2015
Typical Day: Fast paced, always a lot going on
What I've learned: very valuable experience, excel, kronos payroll system, SAP systems, detailed shift reports, Union CBAs and work agreement, learned valuable tools for safety and quality audits
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
stressful
100 yr old business almost goes under
Systems Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 8, 2015
What I learned most about working for a business that grew from the back of a delivery truck...

- It used to have a very "family" like atmosphere
- Management had to embrace modern business practices and tools or else lose everything
- modernization of the infrastructure negated many positions
- competition in the food industry is insane
Productive workplace
Sanitation Worker (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 23, 2014
Very productive place to work. This is the place I developed my efficient skills
Great
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 17, 2014
My internship at Tastykake was both fun and educational. They have a great staff that will help you when desired. The lead engineer Monty Wood is a great man and really helped me with getting to know the engineering workplace, as well as Mr. Huston and Mr. Raggousis. The maintence workers are a wonderful to be around and I enjoyed working for them. My daily routine would be to assist in whatever Mr. Wood wanted me to do, from CAD drawings to mechanical and electrical errors.
Friendly place to work
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 30, 2014
In the 8 years I worked for Tasty Baking Company I enjoyed going to work. It is a great company to work for and my only reason for leaving was to stay home with my children.
The management at Tasty Baking was excellent. I was always being challenged with advancement within the company and always did a great job.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Nobody bakes a kake as tasty as a Tasty Kake
Employee (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaApril 7, 2013
Good People, Financial issues. Upper Management lacked focus..
Pros
good people
Cons
poorly focused upper mngt.
More concerned with filling orders then quality and safety.
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 20, 2013
I've learned that I can not work for or respect management who look upon output over quality. The hardest part of my job was the 60 mile commute to and from and the two hours a day spent in my car. I liked the people who worked for me, I had the priveledge of working with some excellent people.
Pros
the money
Cons
the commute
All the free tastykakes to eat while on duty,free meals too.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 8, 2012
Tasty Baking Company was a great place to work at,i miss my co-workers from the bakery.
Pros
no accident on the job, the company treat the workers to lunch.
Cons
ceo of the company out source our jobs.
Its ok
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 17, 2012
not very secure. Work days are from mon- sat. Start at 5am-finish around 12-1.
Machine Operator/Feeder/Monitor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 3, 2012
It was a good place to work and the employees got alone with each other.
Pros
we got paid every week
Cons
we stood up all day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tasty Baking Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9