Tate & Lyle Employee Reviews

No different than high school/Persecution/closet racism/alienation
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 17, 2017
The lack of professionalism was unparalleled. The negativity was unparalleled. I heard two years ago that this company had racism issues. I chose to ignore this until I experienced the persecution/closet racism first-hand. The only enjoyable part of this job was the money. Beware if you are a minority working at the corporate office.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Minorities not welcome
Great company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 25, 2017
I enjoyed working at Tate and Lyle. The people I worked with were great. The management was very nice and laid back. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning many administrative responsibilities, such as payroll, new hire paperwork, typing of letters, and so forth.
too much politics
Process Operator III (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 10, 2017
12 hour days in a 3 on 3 off rotating shift for 5 weeks of days and 5 weeks of nights. Seldom does an operator get 3 days off in succession.There is an extremely high turnover rate mostly due to the rotating shifts and, in some areas, headhunters and backstabbers. The area in which i currently work the Day Shift Coordinator is constantly looking for ways to get people fired and has fired close to 70 people in my time there. There are a few operators that do their jobs diligently while others are merely trying to fly under the radar while doing as little as possible. The working operators (go-getters) are at a higher risk of making errors and are not cut any slack by management. Management will over-work these folks and expect less of those that do less. Completely backwards type management. The company is also built on an upside down pyramid. Opportunity for advancement is based on how much or who's boots are licked and not on the merits of work ethics and knowledge. The pay is truly the only upside of being an operator in the plant.
Pros
pay
Cons
middle management is weak
excellent work/family balance
Descriptive Sensory Panelist-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 31, 2017
Employed for two years , as a part time contractor, for the Sensory group. I was not given choice to become a permanent employee. I witnessed many management changes unfortunately there was nepotism.
Pros
free lunches for certain events
Cons
I was not a permanent employee but a contractor.
Great place for college kids to work
Grain Grader (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INDecember 2, 2016
Grade corn and test corn. Some days were more laid back then others. Was a great place To get school work done on slow days!
great to work enjoy the people and the work
Elevator Operator (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILNovember 6, 2016
a typical day at work. Unloading grain trucks general cleaning of the equipment , general knowledge of equipment is taught. Learning different use of the grain and the equipment is taught on a daily . The management is great very knowledgeable of the facility. People I work with are very great to work with. i don't find any part of the job really hard. the best part of the job, getting to interact with the customers. Hearing the stories they tell. And learning different process of the grain
Pros
great hours
Cons
High stress, high reward atmosphere.
Area Resource (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INSeptember 20, 2016
A career where you get out of it what you put into it. Advancement is available to anyone that shows a high degree of involvement and OWNERSHIP in the process. I have been granted upward movement (operator, technician, area resource) over time.
Pros
Good money, responsibility, ownership, self directing in many ways
Cons
Higher than normal stress
Good Money but a Extremely Negative Environment
E&I Technician (Current Employee) –  Loudon, TNSeptember 19, 2016
I would not recommend working here as a lifelong career choice. Come in and make some good money and get out. There are very few tangible rewards for working here other than the money. You work a rotating 12-hour shift of 3 on 3 off.

It is a very negative environment with no real leadership demonstrating and rewarding proper behaviour. No consistency in how policy is administered or enforced so you should learn how to "play the game" early on to survive. It is a cutthroat, got ya culture.

Managers talk a good safety game but the reality is much different. If you get hurt while working it is in your best interest to NOT report it.
Pros
good money
Cons
Poor leadership, redneck culture
Great company, great coworkers, great job
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMay 3, 2016
Coworkers really do become like family at this facility. Managers are involved with and genuinely concerned about the safety of the employees. I've learned so much from my position here through involvement with safety, GMP audit teams, OSHA audit teams, and helping with and presenting at trainings and customer visits and audits.
Pros
Ample overtime, benefits, pay scale
Work All The OT You Can and Get Out!
process operator (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 1, 2016
The work is pretty easy and mostly just watching a video screen for 12 hours. The pay isn’t bad at all. Overtime is easy to get and often mandatory.
The atmosphere is depressing and the plant is old and nasty. Newly added lights just make all the black build up and mold stand out! With the rotating shift and the long hours it gets you down quick. They only clean the place when the big shots from Coke or Pepsi are coming through.
Had to take training not long after starting cause someone had used the N-word during hiring. First time I knew we had an HR department. Not sure as to why we needed it as there aren’t any blacks working here and the women are few and far between in the plant. Pretty racist and sexist from what I was used to. Management keeps to themselves in meetings and such and you rarely see them. They kinda have thug enforcers though. Not sure what one guys job is as he just sits in the control room, laughs and tells off color jokes. He does cook breakfast and bring in donuts occasionally. I think he just mainly runs back and tells management if somebody else fixes something!
Safety is kinda funny! You fill out a lot of forms and sometimes have people sign them that can’t even speak english. Have had a few people get hurt but they weren’t very smart people and could have avoided it if they were!
Lots of divorces and drinking going on. Going to make enough to find something else and move the wife and kids on!
Pros
Good Pay and Simple Work!
Cons
Long Hours, Horrible Shift, Redneck Atmosphere!
Work experience is gained rapidly for those who show drive.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 18, 2016
Work culture has many positives. The experience gained is directly related to the effort put into learning and offering to assist others with projects and tasks.
Previous Employee
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 18, 2016
Excellent company that is well ahead most organizations in safety, operations and innovation. Truly enjoyed my time with this company and was offered and experienced great growth and opportunities.
Typical Factory Except with employees with overinflated egos
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJanuary 8, 2016
I worked at the South Plant in Lafayette for several years. The hours are awful because you have to work 12 hours (holidays included) and you work for 3 days on and then 3 days off, BUT you swing from 3 shifts on nights to 3 shifts on days. That means everyone is tired, unsafe and irritable. There is a class system where the old people think they are royalty and the new people are treated poorly...unless you are a hillbilly/farmer/hunter. It is racist and homophobic and unprofessional work environment. Managers just care about climbing the corporate ladder and employees just "outlast" them until they move on. The job was easy although it could be hot and sometimes messy. Talk to the employees and you would think they are building a rocketship to Mars in a sweatshop. They make 60-80k (including overtime) and the hard work keeps getting reduced and farmed out to Mexicans. Most employees sit in the control room as if they are on a lazy version of Star Trek (with no exploring, hard work or human values). You are paid well, but management knows it and will continuously work to reduce benefits and opportunity. It was not a union plant and so they are going to be putting the employee's feet to the fire. Funniest part is that the employees think they are "self managing". They are no more self managing than a 2 year old who think going potty by themselves is "living independently". Most overpaid and underworked place I have ever been at.
Pros
high pay, flexible schedule, easy work
Cons
horrible culture, horrible work schedule, bad management
Most reviews are from Management positions.
Hourly (Former Employee) –  Sagamore Parkway North , Lafayette In.August 10, 2015
I worked at the Sagamore North Plant in Lafayette In.for twenty six yrs. Worked many hours overtime per year (2000 hrs+). I was at the top of the pay scale and worked very hard at my job. I was injured while doing a job on forced overtime and was denied any compensation for my injury. Company doctor ordered light duty but that too was denied. I took five weeks vacation to heal but was still unable to do my job. Was given extremely difficult jobs , which made my injury worse. I turned in my resignation and walked away. Never even got a goodbye or good luck or thanks. Go to work for them at your own risk. This is a Union plant and the Union even turned their back on my case.
Cons
the benefits are the only good thing about this company
former process operator (Former Employee) –  decatur, ilMay 14, 2015
If you can suck up and you want to work everyday and have no family life then you will go far with this company. Your expected to work 2 out of your 3 days off all the time. Your expected to work through your breaks. Your work hrs are not 6-6 like they tell you. It's up to your relief when you get to go home. If you work past your 12 hr shift you don't get paid for it. On a good note the insurance benefits are really good. That's it though. So if you are single or don't want to spend time with your family then this is for you.
benefits
Cons
everything else about this company.
fun place to work and made cool freinds
product evaluator (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 13, 2015
had a ride to job partially but was waiting on a friend who was forclosing a house. i liked one of my managers and didnt understand the function of the second one at all. It was very tedious but was only part time so i was able to visit with my daughter.
Pros
time to get to job
Cons
soial security cut me down to $250
A very professional environment.
SAP Security Consultant (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 4, 2014
Its a very good experience and learn lots of things. The people are very friendly, co-operative and helpful as well as know the meaning of team work.
Factory work in the summer time but great pay
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 30, 2014
I learned that working in a factory is a tough job. The management was pretty cool but they stressed safety a lot, almost too much. The hardest part of the job was trying to do work required in a hot part of the plant. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my dad was at work so I got to hand with him a lot.
Nice Place to work
Technical Test Lead (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 5, 2014
Quality of work is good.
Learn new skills
Understanding the business
This is definitely the most enjoyable place I have worked
R&D Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sycamore, ILAugust 19, 2013
I was always busy, something diffrent to do Never Boring,
There is so many diffrent kinds of Ingredients in products and substitutions, Management was always available for questions
Co-workers worked well together as a team, Helping one another in completeing tasks.
there was alot of ingredients I wasn't familiar with
the part I loved best is i was able to do my own schedule of what i was going to do for the day for the most part.
Pros
There was always Free Lunches
Cons
long drive from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tate & Lyle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9