TCF Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Enjoyable, and friendly coworkers.
Relationship banker (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJanuary 13, 2016
The atmosphere is very friendly, but sales driven. Management was okay, but upper management tend to put so much pressure on both branch managers and tellers. Training didn't cover all of the important things needed to know in order to operate on the first days. The company policies and procedures were all scattered, and difficult to understand. Overall I only liked the people I worked with.
Pros
Overtime, relaxed atmosphere, mostly friendly coworkers.
Cons
Upper management, Horrible training, no benefits, very low wages.
Great company to work for
Region Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2015
Great leadership with a competitive work place that supported a good work/life balance and recognizes employees for their efforts. Well engaged executive management team that listens to concerns and fosters creative thinking. Great people, fair process & competitive products.
Pros
Supportive forward-thinking leadership with a great culture, high energy work place, employees are recognized for their work & efforts
Cons
Health-care, technology challenged, heavy work load vs. compensation for lower-leveled management, goal setting structure is "one size fits all", very aggressive top-side project demand (too much rolled out all at once).
it was a productive place to work ina and it keeps you busy
Teller (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJanuary 27, 2016
Tcf was a great and fun place with alot of room to grow and advancement. if i didnt relocate i will definitely still be working there.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
part time
Great Co Workers
Bank retail Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 9, 2016
Great Staff and customer service. Provides excellent training for all products and services. Benefits and vacation package is great. Bank does change products a lot.
unprofessionalism
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  glen ellynSeptember 15, 2015
i learned more about sales and how to get accounts
management showed me what not to do because most of them were lazy and had poor communication skills. you generally work more than you earn.other banks pay more to employees.
my co- workers are generally nice but young.
the health benefits suck and there is too much gossip and favoritism.
the hardest part was not making any errors, the most enjoyable part is meeting new customers.
Pros
experience recieved
Cons
slow advancement
Good place with great work/life balance
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 24, 2015
Good place to work with great work/life balance. Very flexible with work schedules. The culture needs a little help as it's old and feels very silo-ed. Just went through and is going through major re-org changes, but the new Executives seem to be pushing the company in a positive direction.
Pros
work/life balance, laid back, always busy
Cons
Wage/compensation is too low
Charter One had to be in the stock market
Teller 2 (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MIJuly 10, 2015
Most mornings start off with a meeting about current promotions and what each person sales should be for that day. Charter One was like a supermarket too many products and half of the customers didn't have a lot of cash to work with. Co-workers were friendly but will steal a new customer from you because they knew who was an establish customer and who was new. The hardest part of the job was that Charter One didn't have a coin machine so loose coin from a business customer was very tedious. I enjoyed learning how to empty and refill the ATM.
Pros
Health benefits were offered.
Cons
You had a lot of out of pocket fees for health care.
They are excellent when it comes to promotions.
Relationship Banker I (Former Employee) –  Shorewood, WISeptember 9, 2015
When you work at TCF Bank they will stop at nothing to see their employess go far in their career there. A typical day at work is full of cross selling to best fit customers with bank products. TCF makes sure you have the tools and the knowledge to move forward with the company.
Pros
Hours are flexible
Cons
No FMLA compensation for part time employees
great benefit
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Grove, ILOctober 19, 2015
Friendly work place with supportive management. excellent benefits for all employees . I enjoyed working for them for almost 11 years ,unfortunately due to downsizing the business and closing 37 branches I was laid off .
Pros
?
Cons
?
Fun and educational place to work with quick advancement
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNJanuary 7, 2016
I like TCF Bank. The people I work with are great and show great initiative in training new employees. Everyday I learn something new and I apply it not only to the job, but my future career. The hardest part about working is when management is not in one accord with each other. Someone may tell me something and then another manager may say that's the wrong way to do a particular task. I enjoy coming to work each day and helping customers with their transactions. This in part assures that they are not only a customer but we are building life long relationships.
Good work culture, enjoyable atmosphere, interesting work, lovely managers
Jr. Accountant, Bank Accounts Dept (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 29, 2016
I enjoy my job, but unsure of whether there will ever be an opportunity for me to advance within the company. I have an MBA and would like to earn higher wages. There is not a high turnover in the management positions.
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers, fun atmosphere, comfortable place to work.
Cons
Unsure of further advancement opportunities, lower wages.
Transition Time
Tier I Anti-Money Laundering Investigator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 7, 2015
It is difficult to rate the company as a whole, since I have not worked in the branches, and since our headquarters is going through a change in location.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, Internal Promotion Opportunities
Cons
Pay/Compensation, High Employee Turnover
Great management team!
Relationship Banker/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNAugust 26, 2015
Great work environment. Employees very friendly. Loved going to work everyday. Loved helping regulars and new friendly customers. Cash handling very easy. Great company for promotions.
Pros
school benefits, healthcare
Cons
employees very competitive
a day at tcf
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
Promote and advise on the bank's products and services, receive and count working cash at beginning of shift, identify customers, validate and cash checks, accept cash and checks for deposit and check accuracy of deposit slip, process cash withdrawals, perform specialized tasks such as preparing cashier's checks, personal money orders, issuing traveler's checks and exchanging foreign currency, perform services for customers such as ordering bank cards and checks, receive and verify loan payments, mortgage payments and utility bill payments, record all transactions promptly, accurately and in compliance with bank procedures, balance currency, cash and checks in cash drawer at end of each shift, answer inquiries regarding checking and savings accounts and other bank related products, attempt to resolve issues and problems with customer's accounts, initiate and open new accounts, explain, advise on and promote bank products and services to customers
Pros
incentive, supervisor position
Cons
no benefits for part timers
productive
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2015
Easy to learn, chances for growth and good learning experience. The people are nice and helpful they show you the ropes. Interesting things to learn in a field like this.
Pros
incentives, benefits
The Working Dead
Cash Management Services (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNSeptember 11, 2015
I would have to say in my eleven years working here that it only gets worse with time. I have had three managers who should be fired for work harassment, belittling employees (victim) and it's commonplace to swear when they are under stress. Every time I go to management these "winners" get promotions. In the meantime, I have to use the food shelf because the health insurance is so expensive and the pay is below cost of living. My wife works three jobs to try and make ends meet. Then to top it off they relocated us to Plymouth where its a three hour round trip commute on top of working like a slave. I'm actively looking to work some place else. My word of advice is don't work here!
Pros
Discounted Bus Cards
Cons
Great secondary starter job, and bank.
RELATIONSHIP BANKER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2016
Worked at TCF for just under a year, try to get a busy branch and cool branch manager and supervisor or life will be not be fun.

If your branch is short staffed, expect long hours 40+ easily.
TCF needs to become technology savvy, better computers and infrastruture

I'd personally never bank with TCF, the poor man's bank..
Pros
Commission, Bonuses, Fundraising, Fab15
Cons
"Breaks" some one needs to sue TCF, TCF Tech
Confused Culture
Customer Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 19, 2016
Never have been so confused with an employer. Nor have I ever been told so many times to stop working so hard and to stop assisting customers. Management seems to have no knowledge of their business. Many times told directly (and I mean directly) to sound more effeminate. Astonishing! Told to speak with a feminine drawl and inflection. Asked to not answer customers needs right away. To act demur and waste time in order to gauge and potentially manipulate a customer into believing negative experiences may be positive experiences. Efficient is a pejorative at TCF and helping the customer with their needs and letting them know you're there to help them is less important than being leisurely and sympathetically torpid.
Pros
Income
Cons
Insane culture and a philosophy bordering unethical
Great advancement opportunity
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILMay 3, 2016
Tcf is a sales driven bank. The 90% of your job is gaining and mantaning customers and the 10% was operations. Everyday you learn something new especially in a slow branch. Slow branches are the ones that get to learn a variety of products and servises since customer volume is low and there is more time to learn and help customers. The fast paste branches on the other hand are very quantity based. New accounts and deposits and withdrawals are what you got to learn alot!
One of the hardest part of this job is dealing with upset customer with issues that are out of our hands. You do not want an upset customer. TCF view on customer service is to provide a excellent customer experience.
Overall is a great place to work. Very team oriented.
Pros
Exciting enviroment!
Cons
Out of our hands issues
Nice productive day
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calumet City, ILSeptember 18, 2015
Fast pace and multi-tasking with quickness and accurately leaving the customer and worker satisfied and day enjoyable.
Pros
paid breaks
benefits