TCF Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Great company to work for
Region Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2015
Great leadership with a competitive work place that supported a good work/life balance and recognizes employees for their efforts. Well engaged executive management team that listens to concerns and fosters creative thinking. Great people, fair process & competitive products.
Pros
Supportive forward-thinking leadership with a great culture, high energy work place, employees are recognized for their work & efforts
Cons
Health-care, technology challenged, heavy work load vs. compensation for lower-leveled management, goal setting structure is "one size fits all", very aggressive top-side project demand (too much rolled out all at once).
Good work culture, enjoyable atmosphere, interesting work, lovely managers
Jr. Accountant, Bank Accounts Dept (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 29, 2016
I enjoy my job, but unsure of whether there will ever be an opportunity for me to advance within the company. I have an MBA and would like to earn higher wages. There is not a high turnover in the management positions.
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers, fun atmosphere, comfortable place to work.
Cons
Unsure of further advancement opportunities, lower wages.
Fun and educational place to work with quick advancement
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNJanuary 7, 2016
I like TCF Bank. The people I work with are great and show great initiative in training new employees. Everyday I learn something new and I apply it not only to the job, but my future career. The hardest part about working is when management is not in one accord with each other. Someone may tell me something and then another manager may say that's the wrong way to do a particular task. I enjoy coming to work each day and helping customers with their transactions. This in part assures that they are not only a customer but we are building life long relationships.
Enjoyable, and friendly coworkers.
Relationship banker (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJanuary 13, 2016
The atmosphere is very friendly, but sales driven. Management was okay, but upper management tend to put so much pressure on both branch managers and tellers. Training didn't cover all of the important things needed to know in order to operate on the first days. The company policies and procedures were all scattered, and difficult to understand. Overall I only liked the people I worked with.
Pros
Overtime, relaxed atmosphere, mostly friendly coworkers.
Cons
Upper management, Horrible training, no benefits, very low wages.
fun place to work
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILFebruary 15, 2016
The culture at the bank is very supportive and the management too, if you are a student than its a best place to work because everyone from a branch manager to teller goes to school and you can they are well aware of the fact that you are a student too so they will work with your schedule as best as possible.
Good place with great work/life balance
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 24, 2015
Good place to work with great work/life balance. Very flexible with work schedules. The culture needs a little help as it's old and feels very silo-ed. Just went through and is going through major re-org changes, but the new Executives seem to be pushing the company in a positive direction.
Pros
work/life balance, laid back, always busy
Cons
Wage/compensation is too low
unprofessionalism
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  glen ellynSeptember 15, 2015
i learned more about sales and how to get accounts
management showed me what not to do because most of them were lazy and had poor communication skills. you generally work more than you earn.other banks pay more to employees.
my co- workers are generally nice but young.
the health benefits suck and there is too much gossip and favoritism.
the hardest part was not making any errors, the most enjoyable part is meeting new customers.
Pros
experience recieved
Cons
slow advancement
it was a productive place to work ina and it keeps you busy
Teller (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJanuary 27, 2016
Tcf was a great and fun place with alot of room to grow and advancement. if i didnt relocate i will definitely still be working there.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
part time
The Working Dead
Cash Management Services (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNSeptember 11, 2015
I would have to say in my eleven years working here that it only gets worse with time. I have had three managers who should be fired for work harassment, belittling employees (victim) and it's commonplace to swear when they are under stress. Every time I go to management these "winners" get promotions. In the meantime, I have to use the food shelf because the health insurance is so expensive and the pay is below cost of living. My wife works three jobs to try and make ends meet. Then to top it off they relocated us to Plymouth where its a three hour round trip commute on top of working like a slave. I'm actively looking to work some place else. My word of advice is don't work here!
Pros
Discounted Bus Cards
Confused Culture
Customer Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 19, 2016
Never have been so confused with an employer. Nor have I ever been told so many times to stop working so hard and to stop assisting customers. Management seems to have no knowledge of their business. Many times told directly (and I mean directly) to sound more effeminate. Astonishing! Told to speak with a feminine drawl and inflection. Asked to not answer customers needs right away. To act demur and waste time in order to gauge and potentially manipulate a customer into believing negative experiences may be positive experiences. Efficient is a pejorative at TCF and helping the customer with their needs and letting them know you're there to help them is less important than being leisurely and sympathetically torpid.
Pros
Income
Cons
Insane culture and a philosophy bordering unethical
Great advancement opportunity
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILMay 3, 2016
Tcf is a sales driven bank. The 90% of your job is gaining and mantaning customers and the 10% was operations. Everyday you learn something new especially in a slow branch. Slow branches are the ones that get to learn a variety of products and servises since customer volume is low and there is more time to learn and help customers. The fast paste branches on the other hand are very quantity based. New accounts and deposits and withdrawals are what you got to learn alot!
One of the hardest part of this job is dealing with upset customer with issues that are out of our hands. You do not want an upset customer. TCF view on customer service is to provide a excellent customer experience.
Overall is a great place to work. Very team oriented.
Pros
Exciting enviroment!
Cons
Out of our hands issues
Great secondary starter job, and bank.
RELATIONSHIP BANKER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2016
Worked at TCF for just under a year, try to get a busy branch and cool branch manager and supervisor or life will be not be fun.

If your branch is short staffed, expect long hours 40+ easily.
TCF needs to become technology savvy, better computers and infrastruture

I'd personally never bank with TCF, the poor man's bank..
Pros
Commission, Bonuses, Fundraising, Fab15
Cons
"Breaks" some one needs to sue TCF, TCF Tech
A motivator to finish school
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIMay 22, 2016
While the job itself is okay the fact that so much emphasis is put on you to sell a product instead of promoting a customers need can be tiring. You have a points goal you HAVE to reach or you'll be berated at the end of each month. There is no care for the workers too much only the branch manager and goals. The dress code is so old fashioned and strict they should just give you a uniform. There is no guarantee to get what they call part time hours (20) you'll wind up with terrible shifts example: 12:45pm to 3:330pm REAL SHIFT! While all supervisors and branch managers get forty hours. They claim they don't have the moneyu.
Tcf bank
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 16, 2016
On a typical day at TCF Bank each individual knows what their duties are for the day and plays an active role in achieving the branch's goal. Duties include balancing accounts, security testing, and meeting individual sales goals as well as the overall branch's sales goals. One of the most important things about being part of the management team is knowing how to lead by example. Although it is one of the most challenging parts of the job it is one of the most rewarding parts as well because the harder you try the harder everyone tries which makes for a wonderful working experience.
Gateway One Lending and Finance--worst company EVER worked for
Employee (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJuly 11, 2016
This company sells you on culture because unless you are in sales, they will never pay you up to standard. Sales runs the operations in auto finance which is a huge conflict of interest within the industry standards. Their policies are murky at best so they can be as loosely interpreted as possible. While they talk about change, they are too far behind in their processes to make any significant changes and the dealers like them for that reason. Very easy to manipulate.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
With TCF as its backer, just expected so much more.
Gain Experience and Get Out
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 23, 2015
You do not need any minimum experience or knowledge when you apply for the position they will hire anyone. The company is trying to catch up with larger established banks and they are just throwing money away which causes many hours to be eliminated for all part-time employees. And the only positions available are part time positions.

The company is based on 'The Customer First" but there are so many fees that they charge customers that cannot be explained by the manager, training staff, or supervisors it is ridiculous. You have to basically tell the customer, "you were charged $$$ and we can't reverse them, but you can call customer service to see if they could help you." And I will not even start about how un-helpful and unknowledgeable customer service representatives are even when the employees have to call them, so I know the customers pain.
Pros
Will help resume when stating you worked previously at a bank
Cons
No promotions, low pay for a bank, uninformed company
Stress is high but they offer help.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2015
A job where you must hit your daily, weekly and monthly goals. Constant pressure from management makes individuals quit very easily. If you're able to handle the stress and get accustomed to this fast paced environment especially on the 1st and 3rd of the month then you would do well. The pay isn't that bad and the job/life balance is achievable. You just have to survive your first 3 months without getting fired or quitting.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere when sales are going good
Cons
Increasing sales goals each month
excellent company
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 5, 2016
great company and supplied me with the tools to be successful, great management team, lot of resources and me opportunity and trust to run a branch office
Pros
family atmosphere
Cons
no time off
Productive and great place to work
Operations Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 23, 2015
This position helped me adapt to the operations of the banking environment internally and assist with the responsibility of the operations teams that handles processing of banks transactions. This was a fun and exciting job to have I enjoyed working on a team as well as working alone and I enjoyed the team meetings and supportive management that was there to help move us along in this fast pace environment.
Pros
No mico management
Great management team!
Relationship Banker/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNAugust 26, 2015
Great work environment. Employees very friendly. Loved going to work everyday. Loved helping regulars and new friendly customers. Cash handling very easy. Great company for promotions.
Pros
school benefits, healthcare
Cons
employees very competitive