TCF Bank Employee Reviews

I enjoyed this type of work, but not the sales part of it.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Round Lake Beach, ILDecember 1, 2016
I loved being a bank teller. I enjoyed the work and counting money was fun, my drawer was always exact because we counted out money to the customers a total of 3 times, 1st time to ourselves, then so on. The hours were decent. However, at the time, I was expected to 'sell checking accounts'. The tellers were given a quota to meet a goal every month. This was stressful. Customers came in to open an account on their own without any selling, so I would still somehow meet my goals. I eventually had to find something else because I could not handle the sales pressure. I also did not get any benefits, and it did not pay well, otherwise I would have stayed, if not for these few issues.
Pros
Easy work, fun
Cons
Pressure to sell checking accounts. No health benefits. Extremely low pay.
Offers Convenient Work schedule if your a student.
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2016
Everything revolves around sales. You MUST SALE!!! I Although, you do learn how to build solid relationships with clients that are long lasting. Management is not always the most professional. Co- workers are average.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Pay
Operations Specialist II-Analyst (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNNovember 28, 2016
This is a great company to work for. It is a completely relaxed atmosphere. The over all pay just needs to be higher. I have no other words to add.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
happy family owned
Bank Teller - Commerce (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 19, 2016
every happy work place, family owned, fast growing company, empyees super nice, same with owners,very fun would love to b e there agian
Stressful
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2016
TCF want you to do a lot for little pay. Trying to get customers to bank with this company is very hard. I did not learn anything at this company due to all the supervisors were young and they acted as children. The environment was not professional.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Hours, pay, expectations
fun working with people
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILNovember 16, 2016
management was good.more focus was on accounts.but definitely a good place for begginers in bankig.I learned a lot about teller transactions.
Branch Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILNovember 16, 2016
Very exciting environment. Constantly learning new skills, great co-workers and clients, and awesome full-time hours with bonus incentives. Very competitive field.
Professional environment with opportunities for advancement
executive assistant to CEO (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 14, 2016
TCF offers a professional environment with opportunities for advancement to those who are willing to work hard and pursue additional training and education.
Excellent Entry Level position
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 13, 2016
Excellent entry level position to venture into banking. Allowed sufficient time to learn the ins and outs of banking in order to continue progressing as well as possible promotion either within branch or other financial institutions.
Hard work goes un-noticed
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CANovember 7, 2016
Committed to their indirect company for 5+ years, met goals, help build relationships with dealerships, maintained a positive attitude and was always hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel... what I got was not that. This company does not recognized hard work if it slapped them in the face. Management plays favoritism and allows fraternization to occur in front of their eyes. Hired only friends and family. Overall would be a great company if leadership cared more about their employees.
Pros
income potential
Cons
lack of management skills, lack of training, favortism
Sales driven banking.
Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, LANovember 3, 2016
My responsibilities were hitting a monthly sales goal on banking accounts, balancing volt, balancing teller banks, operating teller transactions and handling client issues.
Pros
free parking
Cons
rush hour traffic
Great for building resume
Relationship Banker I (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, MINovember 2, 2016
Tcf is great to work for if you have a proper team and good management. If it doesn't have those things then it's not enough pay for the work you do. Gotta have tough skin to deal with customers also.
Pros
Helps build resume
Cons
Pay is not that good
Quality of management
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 31, 2016
A typical day at TCF bank would consist of customer service, cash handling, opening and closing accounts and being able to provide account maintenance for the customers.

I learned how to be a teller, a banker, and then I was promoted to Operations where I learned how to do back office work such as Loan Processing and balancing general ledgers,

The hardest part of the job was not making sales goals at one point. So it was a struggle to come back from that place and be able to exceed our goals.
Pros
Volunteer at events
Cons
Money out of my paycheck to help build the stadium.
Low maturity level company
Enterprise Data Architect (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 25, 2016
From consultant's perspective:
Middle level managers are the problem and needs to be fired.
To be fare it is a problem in many places as well.
A lot of folks enrolled from Target. Bringing Target corporate culture can be problem as well.
fast paced sales driven
ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 20, 2016
Learned management skills multi tasking and enjoyed customer service. Many changes thru the years but overall good company.
Positive work environment, and very helpful coworkers
Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Dearborn Heights, MIOctober 17, 2016
Wonderful company full of wonderful people. I however was looking for something more financially secure because I took a large pay cut working for TCF.
Friendly and small bank
Teller (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 5, 2016
I grew really close to my coworkers at TCF because of the small amount of staff needed for the cute little branch. It was nice getting to know my customers at a personal level as well as working as a team to meet sales goals.
Pros
Great benefits and hours for students
This was a great job. The is lack on hiring african americans.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  MPLS, MNOctober 5, 2016
I really don't have much to say about this company. The benefits were great. The job was easy to do and learn. The job was not a good fit for me. I was interested in a management position.
Enjoyable place to work
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2016
A very enjoyable company to work for, great management and it was very easy to move up in the ranks as long as you performed well. I worked there for 3 years and enjoyed every minute of it.
Pros
Great management, loved the customers, loved the banking hours (if you worked at a traditional branch)
Cons
If I have to chose a con it would be working on Sundays for the in store locations, but if that doesn't bother you then you're set
I had some of my first sales experience here
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILSeptember 17, 2016
I would approach random customers in the store and try to sell them on bank accounts. I was also responsible for keeping up with the bank and engaging customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TCF Bank. Our community is ready to answer.