TDS Telecom Employee Reviews

You and the customers are numbers
Customer Repair Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 28, 2017
Managers keep telling employees that they are important and we need to help every customer. But, actions speak louder than words. Everything is determined by numbers. The ruder you are with customers and faster you get to the next call, the more likely you are to get promoted, get a preferred shift, and get days off that you want. Everything is determined by your numbers with no regard for the customers.
Pros
generous time off and decent insurance
Cons
low pay and constant flow of new hires
Great Place to work
Field Service Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 28, 2017
The was to much going on all of the time, while managers tried to manage from a distance. Engineers created plans having never been onsite. Created unneeded stress.
Productive standard workplace
IT Architect Intern (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 13, 2017
Developing production displays within a software. Learned how businesses operate, and development within a company. The most enjoyable part about this job is the people I work with making it a fun atmosphere.
Na
Forklift Operator/ Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 5, 2017
This job was a relaxed setting as long as you did your job you did not have to worry about anything. The staff work together and got the job done and get the product out.
Often times confusing and stressful.
Level 2 Customer Support Team (Former Employee) –  Pequot Lakes, MNNovember 3, 2017
Rapidly expanding company that wishes to maximize their dollar by constantly expanding support responsibilities and not not hiring new staff to handle the extra support load. Every month to two would have to learn additional and new telecom/cable television services with rushed and minimal training after company bought out yet another local provider. Pay was largely stagnant and support responsibilities constantly snowballed. Management was largely unsympathetic to support staff which resulted, in combination with the constantly shifting support duties, a very high turnover rate.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Exhausting work with minimal training and minimal support from upper teams and management staff.
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 1, 2017
Management does not value long term employees but is more interested in what the latest trends are. The culture is gossip oriented and definitely one sided.
Great Team Environment
Revenue Accountant/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 26, 2017
Work place culture promoted a lot of team activities so the members would get to know and work well together. The company dedicates significant resources through training and other activities to build team chemistry.
Pros
Team activities and lunches
Cons
Work was repetitive
Was a great company prior to the reorg
Manager/PM/AE/Outside Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 22, 2017
I worked for TDS for 13 years and had several promotions. After the leadership team changed it started going downhill with a my way or the highway mentality. For the last 5 years of my employment, they were downsizing because they didn't have a solution to be competitive. I enjoyed most of the years with the exception of the last ones because everyone was job scared. The market collapse of 2008 coupled with their reorganizational efforts placed the company in a downward spiral. I would assume they have recovered to a certain degree now and I think they have good product and service offerings.
Pros
Nice office and good peers
Cons
New managment was lost in the ILEC business
Cable Tech Level II (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 1, 2017
Good place to work, management is friendly and out going, great benefits starting on day 1, company phone, truck, tools, gas cards, basically anything you need is provided.
Excellent place for a sales driven envrioment
CONSUMER SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMSeptember 20, 2017
I really loved working for TDS. I finished top 5 in the company. Only because of the Federal Hiring Freeze I could not get my 2nd child in daycare so I had to leave to take care of my children.

Want to know more about TDS Telecom?

Ask a question
Its a call center
Repair Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 16, 2017
It is a call center not much to review here. Very metrics based which is fine. TDS did its best to make working the call center as maintainable as possible.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
call center
Fun job with occasional issues that are due to issues with service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Monroe, WIAugust 29, 2017
All in all a great place to work.

Only issue is job is dependent on how you handle customers and how quickly. This can be affected by customers ability to listen or experience with issues of service. The more problems they had or more unwilling to listen usually leads to more frustrating time or issues while working. Some of this can be remedied by using empathy.

I do feel some of the work requirements could use a little relaxing but with the way all places run now its about the money which I understand. Its not the hardest to meet standards so long as you focus or you dont have many changes hit at once. Since this is a technology driven job changes do occur at regular intervals, usually for the better.

They claim to promote from within which I have little to see myself save from within your own department.
Pros
Good Benefits, Decent Healthcare, Nice Discounts
Cons
Strict schedules that are not too forgiving, customers can be stressful
Fast paced environment with lots of encouragement
Consumer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMAugust 19, 2017
We work in a fast paced environment. We are given tools to succeed in our position and go above and beyond with our customers. Each department has a sales coach that encourages you and gives you help if you are struggling in sales. Great work environment.
Great Place to work
Customer Repair Advisor (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 14, 2017
This Job does offer great Benefits, on-top of work from home, and the managers are amazing people. The Job itself does take a toll on a person and can really beat you down.
Pros
They do try and make those that work on site feel appreciated
Cons
once you know one job they add more on to your work load and don't give more pay!
good company, awful customers
Customer Repair Advisor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 7, 2017
You will receive a lot of calls from customers who have data,VOIP, or Cable TV issues. Most of them are willing to let you fix the problem and are grateful, but you will get at least one nasty customer every day that thinks you owe them the world.

Customers will drain you, but the company itself is a good company.
Pros
culture
Cons
bad work/life balance, customers are nasty.
muy interesante
ayudante general (Former Employee) –  usaJuly 28, 2017
aprendi a hacer el proceso de vulcanizar llantas de camiones unas maquinas vulcanizadoras gigantes terminaba bien negrito pero me agrado un trabajo muy rudo requiere de mucha fuerza.
Challenging environment with high turn over
FST Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Monticello, MNJuly 27, 2017
Good company overall ,a lot of micro management due to I feel one local manager in the 13 years i have worked under this person I have seen 13 people come and go in a department of 8 that in itself speaks volumes and yet I am still here and the only one who could change my own situation, aside from that good benefits, vacation co-workers good other than their inexperience due to turn over.Company does stay on top with current equipment for customers and tech gear
Pros
close to home
Cons
working for a sometimes, child- like, person with no chance of moving up, unless I want to be someones lap dog!!
Boys Club
Customer Care Operations (Current Employee) –  Madison, WI 53717June 29, 2017
Great company to work for however chances for advancement is slim unless you're a brown nose. The pay is decent and the benefits are great. The office is laid back and the dress code is relaxed.
Install Telecom Services and Travailed
Cable Technician (Former Employee) –  East Norton, PaJune 5, 2017
TDS was a small company that provided telecom installation services for large and small businesses.
Their were out of state installations.
Telecommunication technology had change to voice over right so I asked to be laid off because I couldn't meet my bill,my hour became erratic
Pros
I like the work
Cons
work dried up with the change of technology .
Excellent benefits but poorly ran
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Marys, GAMay 11, 2017
I have learned lots of things at TDS but the company doesn't listen to the employees on how to improve things. They had subpar equipment that barely worked. The modem/routers that were given too customers would work great hard wired but the wireless was awful it was weak and at tops would only shoot out 36 Mps. We were told to just lie too customers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad products

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TDS Telecom. Our community is ready to answer.