TDS Telecom Employee Reviews

Great company, getting a little too old and too big for it's own good.
Business Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIFebruary 13, 2017
TDS is a fantastic company and I would recommend an opportunity at TDS to anyone I know. People need to be aware of the size of TDS and the fact that you will not likely advance quickly in the company, and your contributions will likely go unnoticed for quite awhile. TDS offers job security and relatively easy goals and expectations of their people.
In my opinion, TDS has been getting in it's own way for a long time. There is a culture within the company of a "pass the buck" attitude. Call here for this, no, now call there for that, etc. etc. It's never that persons problem, or the next,.. The managers, who talk a big game, are rarely present in the day, and from a leadership and coaching stand point, it is severely lacking.
TDS will likely remain a great place to work, secure, with excellent benefits, but ultimately a company where very few ever climb the ladder.
Pros
benefits, work-life balance
Cons
Managers can't coach, train, & lead. Poor individual recognition/huge company
Great company
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 1, 2017
Management is awesome. The pay and benefits are really good. Annual raises based on performance. So "joe' will not get a raise or at least not a big one for barely showing up to work and only half doing the job, but "bill" who is exceeding and shows up everyday will be recognized for his commitment.
(those are not real employees just examples)

they understand life happens and do not scold you for being human.
They strive for their employees.
Pros
great pay, great management, fun place to work for.
Cons
inbound contact centers can be difficult. but worth it when you work for a place who supports you.
Great Place to Work
Customer Repair Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Pequot Lakes, MNOctober 31, 2016
I have been with the company for a year now and honestly it feels like I just started. I cannot believe it has already been a year. The people I work with are great and a lot of fun with great attitudes towards their jobs.

I have always been able to get answers to questions and people have always been willing to teach me new things to help me do my job better. There are times when it challenges me to step out of my comfort zone and it is rewarding to do so. I was presently surprised at the high level of benefits that came with the job.

I am sure that anyone willing to learn and be challenged in a fun work place will love it here and do great.
Pros
fun work place, plenty of time
Cons
can be stressful at times
Not for me, I guess
Customer Repair Advisor I (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 24, 2016
A: Their management structure was still in transition, so It was a good attitude from management, immediate supervisors' communication was taciturn when it turned to topics of concern, sometimes.

B: For me this job was an easy "A", a simple job that's easy enough to be minimum wage, but paid $15/hr. Bravo, it's a step in a forward-thinking direction for humanity.

C: How ever was I supposed to fit in with these guys?
Good people I'm sure, but all a bit over-interested in an influence in media I've found unhealthy.
I bit my tongue a fair amount while I was in that role, but that's due to my own beliefs and I understand that it is my lode to bear.

Overall:
Good pay, good benefits, not my cup of tea.
decent place to work
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Berthoud, COOctober 29, 2016
Good benefits (cheap healthcare for single woman with no kids), reliable schedule and hours, repetitive work but low stress enviroment
benefits
Cons
repetitive, not challenging
They invest in their employees.
Network Deployment Specialists 2 (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORApril 29, 2016
I have been with TDS Telecom for almost a year. I work out of Bend OR and have flown to Madison WI 3 times for training classes. They do not mind investing in their employees. The overall culture is good and most employees seem happy.
Pros
Competitive compensation, good environment, semi-flexible hours, competitive benefits.
Excellent Benefits
Administrator Talent Development (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 27, 2016
Full health, dental and vision benefits. Pension and 401K. Offers excellent opportunities for tuition reimbursements and employee discounts
An excellent place to work
Accounts Payable/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIMarch 5, 2017
I am currently working through a contract at TDS. It seems to be a very fine company to work for. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a new job. The people are very friendly and helpful. Always someone to assist you with questions.
Pros
Staff is very knowledge and assists with questions. Excellent work environment
Cons
Being judge by some other employees for being a contractor.
lazy to no leadership
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  La Center, WAJanuary 7, 2017
Poor local leadership, and neglected local infrastructure/plant. Management is out of state and non confrontational. Basically as long as numbers are met management turns a blind eye.
Pros
40 hrs a week, full time work.
Cons
No leadership/management
Not good
D2D (Former Employee) –  KNOXVILLE,TNMarch 21, 2016
The company is good. The management is terrible. Management stays on your back.No help as for as management. Training is terrible .No matter how hard you work no praise. Greta co-workers.
Pros
NO PROS
Cons
MANAGEMENT
Work enviorment
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMMarch 22, 2017
With an encouraging environment. And always changing. The quick pace ready to learn and the flexibility to change with technology. Very close work stations. Find friend. Incentive vactions, gift cards, and awards, comparative wages. And commission to sales. In house hiring.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Heavy deadlines and goals
Productive, but work environment very dependent on manager
Finance - Billing Risk Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 18, 2017
My first 7 years at TDS were very enjoyable, due to the nature of the managers I had previously. My last manager lacked the confidence and interpersonal skills of their predecessors, which caused some tension on our team.
with the exception of not have a company vehicle
Network Specialist II / Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arizona/Utah/Nevada/CaliforniaNovember 8, 2016
i felt this job was well worth having and a great experience in the commiunication field. i worked remotely so working on my own was a perk but on the flip of a coin it was also a challenge. one worth accepting. except for the distant drives and the lonely times on the road away from family this job was well liked by me.
Pros
benies
Cons
none only redeemable experiences
Company changed alot from my hiring till I left
Associate Manager OSP Deployment (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 18, 2016
I enjoyed working for and with some of the management .
As Corporate took control the whole culture and goals of the company changed. It became a tough place to work in my last 2 years.
Pros
Challenging leading edge telecommunications
Cons
Some bad picks for upper management
Cut throat and very poor management
full time (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIJanuary 21, 2016
Some very poor managers, especially the women managers. While promoting excellent communications, it is not practiced by managers but expected of the employee and then used against them. Watch your back as hypocrisy abounds when least expected. Definite favoritism is displayed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor communication, favoritism, pettiness
Unique work environment with great people
Sr. Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 17, 2013
My tenure at TDS, though brief was very exciting! We provided a service to thousands, and it was very rewarding.

Only main problem with TDS was the compensation and advancement. The compensation was poor in comparison to other similar jobs in the field, and the opportunities of advancement were not there. The annual pay raises are bogus, and the employee rating system is completely askew. Also the resources they provide are meager. It's hard to be excited about work when you have a 4 year old machine running Windows XP.

However, I am overall satisfied with my experience, and recommend this place for employment despite the downfalls.
Pros
free lunches, travel, nice people, great building, nice office
Cons
lack of new technology, poor compensation, lack of advancement
busy
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, ILNovember 12, 2016
I work at mcdonalds some days it could be fun and some days its not. sometimes it slow but most times it busy. Most of the time I close the store or work nights.
Productive and Friendly Work Environment
Business Sales and Support Advisor (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WISeptember 11, 2013
Most of the day would be spent on the phones either taking an inbound call or making an outbound call to an existing customer to sell them new products. I did have to work with several teams to complete sales which was the most frustrating part of the job since many times the other teams were not communicating with each other. I did learn much about sales, time management, and how important good communication skills are. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the customers call me back and let me know how much the new product had been helping them out. The management could be difficult to work with due to them not communicating the new rules with each other or the advisers and them all having their own procedures for everything.
Pros
Two paid 15 minute breaks, benefits, friendly co-workers
Cons
lack of communication amoung Management and other departments
Micro manage mania
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Madison WISeptember 9, 2014
Beware. The right hand knows not what the left hand is doing.

Continuous layoffs of the people who actually do the work for the company. Little compensation for hard work. HR will put your pay at an average even if you go above and beyond. Their reasons are pretty much that they have to give you crumbs now so they can give you crumbs later rather than maxing out your pay range.

Micro management at the extreme by individuals that have no experience in the areas they manage.

Great co workers and could be a great place to work but seems to be a dinosaur nearing extinction.
Pros
Great Coworkers; good benefits
Cons
Questionable future??? Outsourcing of jobs
Great company at one time, but competition is driving them out of West Michigan
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids MIMay 16, 2014
TDS has a good VOIP phone system that they sell as their premier product. 5 years ago there weren't as many players in the VOIP game. Now T1 technology is slower than what most customers are asking for and even though they partner with Comcast, many customers are still leaving so they can get all of their services with one company. They sign customers to 5 year deals, then last year raised the cost of basic lines by $2 and double the cost of blocks of direct inward dial numbers, giving the customer a 30 day out option. Larger customers who had 100s of internal numbers saw huge cost increases. This is poor business. They should have grandfathered existing contracted customers with their same pricing.
They've cut their entire outside sales force, management and engineer (leaving one for the state of Michigan). They increase sales quotas without increasing commission payouts. It seems like they're really counting their pennies.
Pros
Schedules are fairly flexible
Cons
Feels like corporate wants to shut down Michigan and run operations from Madison WI

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TDS Telecom. Our community is ready to answer.