Teach For America

Teach For America Employee Reviews

Great job for a motivated and hardworking individual
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee), MississippiAugust 21, 2015
Be ready for everything to take a backseat to teaching if you accept this job. If you have a passion for educational equality and show leadership in the classroom this is a great job to have.
Growing Experience
Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Connections
Working in the South Bronx was a great experience. I have grown professionally and personally, successfully completing my Teach For America 2 year commitment.
Best Experience
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee), atlantaAugust 2, 2015
Great experience. Glad I took the leap. Hope I helped a lot of students. Training was pretty perfect, but on site teaching was most valuable.
Extremely disorganized
Teacher/ESL Coordinator (Former Employee), Camden, NJJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Americorps education award
Cons: No work-life balance
Teachers should expect to be in difficult school situations, but most of the "support" provided by TFA just added increased stress without providing any real solutions for improving in the classroom. Some teachers were placed in schools where they were threatened and/or assaulted.

The organization teaches you to be suspicious of the teachers in any school your work in, and there is a heavy emphasis on designing assessments for TFA to use, rather than on other professional development.

No work-life balance whatsoever.
If you want to grow as a person and make new friends join TFA
Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2015
Yes you will have to spend some Saturdays doing work that may seem trivial but in reality it builds skills that you can use in the classroom and in your real world life.

Open yourself to all the things you can learn and all the people you will meet. Not everyone is there for the same reason and you will constantly have to deal with the issue of race, but it is a growing experience.
Not supportive.
Member (Former Employee), Eastern KentuckyJuly 15, 2015
Not supportive environment to be a productive member. Was placed in school outside of my discipline and geographical area a day and a half before school started.
Demanding yet meaningful work experience
Chemistry Instructor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 30, 2015
I teach chemistry at Bryan Adams High School, a title one school in the Dallas urban school district where the majority of students are from low socioeconomic areas. This experience, more than any other, has taught me how to connect with someone from a different background on a deeper level, how to listen carefully to the problems someone is having, and how to take care of the varying and individual needs of over two hundred people in a personal, compassionate, and thoughtful manner. Additionally, I strove to become a leader in my community, and induce long lasting transformations in the culture of our school by initiating ACT and college preparatory courses. The result of this work has provided more of our student population with college acceptances and needed scholarship access, thereby changing the trajectory of their futures.
Mission-driven
Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 28, 2015
The job was a good opportunity to work on campus in a paid internship. No travel and Teach for America provides the resources necessary.
Working to close the achievement gap!
Corps Member (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 26, 2015
Selected from over 50,000 applicants nationwide to join the national teacher corps of 5,800 recent college graduates who commit two years to teach in under-resourced public schools. Participate in intensive training program to develop the skills and knowledge needed to achieve significant gains in student achievement. Teach in a summer school program run by Teach For America for low-income students in the St. Louis Public School District, under the supervision of a faculty of experienced teachers. Engage in a full schedule of professional development activities including seminars, discussion groups, workshops, individual and group reflections, readings, and learning team’s specific to teaching license area.
Tough
6th General teacher (Former Employee), PassaicJune 23, 2015
• Inclusion: ESL & Special Needs
• Curriculum Development for 6th Grade Social Studies, Science, Mathematics, ELA, and Health
o Differentiating and Modifying for ESL and Special Needs Students; Extending for General Students
o Modifying Lesson Plans and Delivery of Instruction Based on Student Growth Data
• Creation of Classroom and Behavioral Management Models
• Advocacy for Best Interests of Students
• Facilitate Interventions with Parents and Social Workers
• Experience in Co-Teaching and Interdisciplinary Problem Solving
• Crisis Intervention
Great work environment - very easy to get too - excellent work staff - excellent pay -
Payroll Specialist - Temporary (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYJune 17, 2015
a typical day at work consisted of a 40 minute train ride and then a 1 block walk - up to the office and a coffee and right to work - very casual quiet work area
Achievement focused culture
Corps Member (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 17, 2015
Teach for America is good at supporting teachers new to the profession as they entire their schools. They have an intense, no excuses culture that helps to motivate their teachers.
Great place to work if you aren't ambitious
Assistant (Former Employee), RemoteJune 6, 2015
Pros: travel, hours
Cons: wages, co-workers, management
No two days are the same, however there are a standard group of core tasks that you reflect. While working here I noticed that professional development and advancement of employees is greater for those who are alumni of TFA. My manager went from corps to ED and wasn't great at building relationships with staff or navigating without bias. My co-workers were either great friends/allies or self-centered and unwilling to work towards the greater mission.

The hardest part of the job is working towards professional development and advancement only to realize that positions were created with other people in mind who are alumni. The other hard part of the work is working with someone who had no plan, vision, or communication skills, but expected you to read their mind and anticipate their needs. The job allows a lot of travel for professional development which is great for those who like to travel, but can become stressful if you are trying to seek a work/life balance.
Very little support, very corporate, nowhere near as idealistic as they put on.
Educator (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 6, 2015
This organization is about metric analysis and the bottom line. While individuals within the organization have a deep passion for educational equity, the organization as a whole and its managers at the executive level only care about maintaining the status quo and will not stand up for people who actually espouse the social justice views their recruiters claim to uphold.
love it
Corps Member (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2015
great place to be. These people really care about what they do and they are focused and career-driven folks that really care about the kids.
Positive and meaningful workplace
Managing Director, Institute Program & Staffing (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2015
TFA is an incredibly positive and meaningful place to work. Fellow staff members are top-notch, training is readily available and expectations are high for quality work. There is a clear vision and focus on doing work for our students.
Great Environment
Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AzApril 16, 2015
Pros: Flexible with hours, Great experience
Cons: No cons
Working for TFA has taught me to be a team player. Also, working for this job has taught me to file paper work and follow up on calls. TFA was the greatest experience that I could've ever been apart of. In addition to this, I also made calls to future teachers to make sure that they had their paper work to be eligible for a position as a teacher.

This job has also taught me time management. Time management was the key to this job because everything had to be done in a specific time frame of the day.

I enjoyed everything about this job; from the work environment to working all day there.
Great organization with a strong mission and cares about staff members
STO (Current Employee), USAMarch 30, 2015
great org with flat hierarchy. opportunities to develop within position and others within organization. awesome culture.
Incredible cause and purpose
Recruitment Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMarch 24, 2015
This is a role where you feel like you have a specific purpose. As a recruitment manager, you build a database of potential applicants, meet with those applicants, and then convince them to apply.
Very depending and unable to provide enough support
Middle School Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Oakland, CAMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great experience and my students were amazing!
Cons: not enough support or time
I was required to get a Masters in Special Education while starting my first year in a Special Education classroom. I also had to train myself to be a case manager for my students. I worked from 4am to 7pm most days of the week, and my life was my work.
Industry