Teach For America Employer Reviews

Preparing educators on a culturally relevant framework
Guest Lecturer (Former Employee), Richmond, CaJune 15, 2014
Pros: emphasis on cultural relevancy
Cons: program needs more teachers of color
It was a one time speaking engagement. I was impressed that I was there to present on working with communities of color to a predominantly white teachers, it speaks to their integrity in wanting to work from a strength based perspective.
Great place to get your foot in the door
Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 27, 2014
great place to start out. The entry-level positions are way above normal entry-level positions and there is tons of professional development and opportunities for advancement.
Change in Education
Science Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 22, 2014
I enjoyed my experience. Provided awesome guidance to help me change educational opportunities for my students.
Lots of work
Third & Fifth Grade Math Teacher (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 9, 2014
Big learning experience. Worked as a teacher in a low income community.
Exhausting and not what they claim to be
Corps Member (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMay 8, 2014
Pros: good on resume
Cons: terrible culture
Working for TFA Detroit was a terrible experience. While they claim to fight for educational equality, they make choices and partnerships that are morally corrupt and do little to improve education in Detroit. Additionally, while they claim to encourage criticism and dialogue, they do little to address the needs of current CMs.
TFA
Corps Member (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 2, 2014
Enjoyed working for a fast paced organization dedicated to growing our schools.
Houston Corps Member (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 22, 2014
TFA is an organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap. TFA seeks to make sure every child in this country, regardless of race or socioeconomic status, receives an excellent education.
A supportive environment that promotes growth in pedagogy and critical thinking
8th-12th grade Spanish Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 11, 2014
Teach for America is a very controversial organization and while I have my own qualms with some ways they choose to handle things, my experience with TFA has been incredibly supportive and challenging in a positive way. There was never a moment where I didn't feel like I had a network of fellow educators to rely on for feedback and encouragement. My – more... placement through TFA proved to be extremely challenging, but I did not feel like I was left alone to fight through it. I appreciated how much energy the organization put into making sure I was growing along with my students so that together we could all create a positive learning environment. – less
Detroit Corps Member (Current Employee), Detroit, MIApril 4, 2014
teaching 1st grade in an urban area is challenging, yet rewarding. There is a lot of support of the teachers because all employees believe that every child will and can succeed in school.
Great Place to Make an Impact
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development (Current Employee), America, OKMarch 30, 2014
I worked with people who were dedicated and worked tirelessly to make an impact on students in Oklahoma City.
Awesome network!
MENTOR TEACHER (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 12, 2014
Working in an inner-city school in a very tough neighborhood. Management is supportive but sometimes require too much time outside of school hours. The best part is the amazing network of young, energetic professionals you join.
Intense, physically and mentally demanding job in a low-income area
High School Physics Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2014
Pros: rewarding, important work. work with adolescents, have the opportunity to truly make an impact on many lives
Cons: very short breaks, 80+ hour work weeks, limited teacher's union (charter school), emotionally charged job
My work hours on a day-to-day basis are from 7:15 am--4:45 pm. I usually arrive to work around 6:45 am, and do not leave until about 5:30. I physically teach students from 9:30 -- 4:00 PM, with one 25-minute lunch (and 3 minute passing periods). Outside of these times, I spend my time planning, designing and creating Physics curriculum resources from – more... scratch, attending professional development sessions, collaborating with other teachers, and grading. Although I leave work at 5:30 pm, I normally will put in at least 2-3 more hours of work at home.

Teaching has been one of the most difficult endeavors I've undertaken, and fighting through these challenges on a daily basis has taught me innumerable lessons. One of the most important of which is the value of "grit." I believe that teaching is one of the most difficult, rewarding, and sometimes unforgiving exercises in leadership. I graduated with a degree in Biology from UCLA and was given a Physics classroom at a charter school in urban south Chicago. I am provided no curriculum, and no textbook. I had close to no lab resources at my disposal. Every single thing, from every lesson to every handout to every lab, had to be designed and implemented by me. As a teacher, I looked at myself as a leader of 190 students who required a great science education, regardless of my position as a first-year teacher. I tied my success directly to their achievement. This attitude taught me so much about the finer details of leadership, and I believe that the lessons I learned can be applied to every workplace, regardless of my position.

Despite the position that I've been placed in, I've been able to experience success at various times. I regularly have received positive reviews from my superiors, and I have been the first teacher to last at the Physics position for longer than a year (most do not complete even one year at this school). Amidst the stress of being held accountable by 190 students on a daily basis, there are times that I truly enjoy my work. Given all that I try to teach my students, I've realized that I can often learn from them. Their smiles and positive energy is a reminder to my older, sometimes more cynical self, that life is meant to be enjoyed. – less
High energy, high expectations
Corps Member - Teacher (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 9, 2014
Teach for America (TFA) is a widely respected organization dedicated to creating motivated, effective teachers. I have learned a lot about managing and meeting expectations that come from a variety of supervisors, about accounting for and responding to a range of factors that could possibly effect student performance (in the classroom), and about communicating – more... consistently and clearly with a range of stakeholders (TFA staff, parents, students, coworkers, etc.). I absolutely love the other corps members in Atlanta. We have an unparalleled sense of camaraderie and support, an essential component of pursuing the mutable and demanding career of teaching. However, the lack of unified communication within TFA has been a drawback. Within the barrage of emails sent each day, they never quite seem to align and effectively convey their expectations. Although my experience here has not been an entirely positive one, I would not trade the time that I have spent with my students in the classroom. – less
Teach for America
Corps Member (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 8, 2014
Teach for America gave me experience and opportunities for further education.
Inspiring
Teach For America Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2014
The people are energetic and driven by a cause. The expectations are high, but the support is present.
Great personal and professional development with excellent people working toward one vision
ELA Learning Team Leader (Current Employee), ArkansasFebruary 2, 2014
As a Learning Team Leader with Teach for America - Arkansas and online Content Coach for TFANet through Teach for America national, I have enjoyed expanding my content knowledge in ELA, ultimately making me a better teacher and learning in the process. I have worked with excellent people and have been managed in an excellent way. Everyone pushes me – more... to be the best version of myself, and is willing to coach me to reach my goals. Everyone is also working for students and student achievement constantly. – less
2nd Year Review
Corps member (Current Employee), Hazlehurst, MSJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: resume builder, opportunity to work with some amazing kids
Cons: not that great of a resume builder, some kids aren't that wonderful to work with
It's a tough job with not a lot of support, but if you can find the right people in leadership positions to connect with, they are a treasure trove of knowledge and resource.
Teach For America Corps Member (Current Employee), HonoluluJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: excellent training, professional development, rewarding
Cons: work-life balance, pay
Rewarding but challenging work. TFA will require you to eat, breathe, and sleep TFA - work/life balance for many staff members is not very even.
Teach For America is growing the movement of leaders who work to ensure that kids growing up in poverty get an excellent education.
Greater Newark 2012 Corps Member (Current Employee), Newark, NJJanuary 20, 2014
I want to show my students that I truly believe they can go places and they can achieve anything. My classroom will be an environment where students will be nurtured. I would not have accomplished what I have without the support of those around me, including educators, friends and family. I believe the more support a young man or woman has; the more – more... likely they are to succeed. – less
Great place great people
Community Onboarding Adviser (Former Employee), JacksonvilleJanuary 14, 2014
Everyone works hard and wants to help each other succeed. Great atmosphere

1 2 3

About Teach For America

All kids—no matter where they live, how much money their parents make, or what their skin color is – deserve access – Read more

Teach For America Photos