Memphis City-Shelby County Schools is hiring teachers for multiple mid-year vacancies and 2013/14 school year positions. Certified teachers as well as career changers should apply today at www.teachmemphis.org
Working in MCS-SCS offers:
- A salary starting at $41k-$44k with excellent medical and retirement benefits, and one of the lowest costs of living in the country!
- A chance to make a real difference in the lives of those students who need it most
- A fantastic city to live in! (Beale St., The Grizz, BBQ, Civil Rights Museum, Elvis, The Zoo)
A national model for education reform
By working in Memphis-Shelby Schools you become part of a national model for education reform. In 2010, the Gates Foundation donated $90 million to Memphis City Schools to implement the Teacher Effectiveness Initiative, a program designed to overhaul how we think about teaching and place an effective teacher in every Memphis classroom. TEI aims to:
- Define and measure effective teaching—so teachers get the development they need and the recognition they deserve
- Increase rigor in hiring and retention—to ensure that we attract and keep the best educators!
- Improve teacher support and compensation—so teachers have the tools to succeed and are rewarded when they do
- Enhance school culture—to make teaching even more rewarding
Who we’re looking for:
We seek individuals who accept no excuses, take responsibility for student growth, are masters of pedagogy and content knowledge, continuously develop their skills, can lead the classroom, engage all students, work collaboratively, and build strong relationships with students and parents.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher; 2.75 for Elementary Education
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and pass a criminal background check
- Be licensed and Highly Qualified by NCLB guidelines or be eligible to work on a transitional license (i.e. have a degree/24 credit hours in the subject area, or pass the Praxis II exam in the subject area)
Please visit www.teachmemphis.org to submit your online application and learn more about Memphis City-Shelby County Schools.
Memphis City Schools does not discriminate in its programs or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age or genetics.