Teacher Retirement System of Texas

Teacher Retirement System of Texas Employee Reviews

Great Culture
Temp (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2017
I was hesitant before taking a government job but I have nothing but positive reviews and have had a great experience thus far. Although my job was temporary I hope I can continue or come back.
Pros
Friendly employees
Poor management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2017
Need better management and better employee to work with. Benefits were great. Lots of time off. Mon thru Friday. No weekends. Great employees to work with.
Pros
Great benefits time off
Cons
Better management
Private sector employees need not apply
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2017
TRS is not really interested in a diverse workforce. They only seem to want state agency clones who have done the same thing, the same way at the same old boring agencies. You could be a subject matter expert from the private sector, but managers don't want those innovative solutions to their redundant processes.
Pros
Free on-site parking
Cons
Poor management
Good if you like being treated like a piece of furniture
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 29, 2017
Lots of cliques; lots of people who horde knowledge and make you grovel to get them to do their job; Dept & Agency management condescending; state benefits keep getting worse; mid-management the worst example of passive-aggressive terror management; Dept & Agency management offer trivial perks that are more akin to Make-A-Wish efforts to make you forget you're in a dead-end job and not a solution to workplace apathy; Dept & Agency management seem to be more concerned about their own careers and being sure to find scape goats than actually finding real solutions to problems.
Pros
covered parking (I know weak)
Cons
Internal politics that prevent service improvement or professional or personal development
Good work life balance
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2015
TRS give you lots of time off. For the most part things run smoothly. I have no real complaints.

Some of the people are not so friendly.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Lots of clique
Hardworking and friendly staff, constantly learning
Benefits Proccessor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2015
Welcoming and warm staff, ready to assist, teach, and learn at all times. Training is well-organized and individually based over a long period of time, ensuring full knowledge of the retirement process. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing results in your individual work and acquiring greater analytical/problem-solving skills. Also a very fast-growing company.
Cohesive state agency with great benefits and security.
Records Management Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 22, 2014
TRS is a supportive and friendly work environment. Great benefits and a supportive management team create a stable work environment and ample opportunities to learn new skills. I had a great internship but unfortunately was unable to maintain my position. That is the one down side to this organization; most people enjoy their positions and stay so long vacancies can be sparse.
Pros
One of the friendliest places I've ever worked, supportive management, security if you can get hired.
Cons
Difficult to find permanent position, not the highest paid job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teacher Retirement System of Texas. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9