Teavana Employee Reviews

An amazing experience
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 10, 2017
In February this will be a year that I've worked for Teavana. It's definitely been an amazing experience overall so far. I've met some people that I'd consider lifetime friends over the past year. I started at a Teavana in Nashville now I'm working at one in Cincinnati. When I started at Teavana I was just looking for a job because I needed money but it has made such an impact on my lifestyle. Not only because it's specialty retail so it's different than any other job I've had but because it's brought out the person in me that I've wanted to become. This all might sound really dumb to anyone that worked there before mid 2016. But the entire way the company works has changed. All I've read online are bad reviews from former employee's and I just want to set the record that Teavana isn't about selling anything and everything to you anymore, it's about each individuals tea experience/journey and helping you love tea as much as we do.
Pros
Starbucks benefits & great training
Cons
Management pressure
non commission sales driven environment trying to sell garbage to people.
Teavana team member (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 14, 2016
I worked here for a year and a few months before finally calling it quits. I was offered a management position for a measly .75 cent raise that I ultimately turned down. The compensation was not worth the stress level.

I worked with some enjoyable people, had some fun...but when it came to the actual job of selling and making sales goals on a non commission basis. the rate of pay was not worth the effort.
Pros
free tea all day, fun coworkers
Cons
annoying customers looking for cure alls, bad pay, bad advancement opportunities.
Fast-pace Selling
Barista/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 17, 2016
A day at work would be trying your hardest to reach your quota by the end of your shift. Selling tea, different tea products and showing examples to customers. Making an array of different teas for those who are on the go.

Learned to be firm with sales pitches. Customer satisfaction, different sales techniques and how each tea is brewed.

Management is well on top of their game. They made sure everyone had hours and breaks.

Coworkers were great for the most part. Used teamwork techniques to help busy days get by faster.

Hardest part of this job was selling tea to the customers.

Most part of this job was drinking the tea.
Pros
All time access to drinking tea, starbucks benefits
Cons
Unpaid breaks, Not enough pay
Great Co-Workers but High, Hard-to-Reach Standards
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 17, 2016
While the in-store work environment can be supportive, the hours and wage don't compensate for the extensive knowledge of tea benefits, processing and culture you need to have. In addition to that, you have several sales goals you're expected to keep track of throughout every day.

Becoming a Team Lead only adds to your responsibilities, which include constantly maintaining store functions, appearances, and coaching while still all of your sales goals. Or at least, that's what you're expected to do if your store doesn't have an Assistant Manager.

Since Teavana is still being assimilated under Starbucks, any position under the company is a little unstable and every week brings new surprises and new expectations. I don't entirely fault the company for this, but failure to meet their high expectations will most likely result in hour cuts, which makes it difficult to make ends meet with an already sub-par pay.
Pros
Great insurance and school benefits, fun, inclusive in-store culture.
Cons
High expectations for inadequate pay, rocky job security
Awesome Product
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEDecember 19, 2016
Amazing teas and learn about the benefits. Before the company was sold it was a great place to work. Starbucks changed the culture and wanted to make it similar to what they are. Overall amazing product upper management is not supportive.
Pros
Drink tea and good discount
Cons
Low pay and no upper managment support
Ok work place
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 8, 2016
Depends on what location you work at. The company itself is slowly in decline. What was once a retail location is slowly becoming a beverage industry thanks to starbuck's poor management and inability to properly run a retail company. They do have good benefits that you should take advantage of.
Pros
401k, full medical insurance, free scholarship, free tea while working
Cons
Difficult work environment, poor management, short hours, little promotion opportunity
productive, great team and opportunities
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJanuary 12, 2017
It was a very cool place to work and learn about the new teas. The management was awesome and were ontop of everything. There are some cool benefits and since it's affiliated with starbucks you get the hookups there too. They have very flexible hours so it is a great to job to have if you're a student
Pros
discounts, benefits, perks
Great at first but Upper Managment is Horrible
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 4, 2016
Typical day at work was working with customers to drive sales. Their sales method has improved greatly but their expectations have not. If you do not make a certain dollar amount per hour you are yelled at, especially if you are management. This is true for all store, even the low volume. For example, my store's goal was often in the $400-600 range during the week days but Upper Management still required each person on staff to make $200-300 during their shift.

If the coworkers are great, the job can be wonderful. The tea and merchandise are fun and the knowledge required is interesting. However, the job doesn't pay what its worth and causes more stress than is helpful.
Pros
Starbucks benefits
Cons
Extreme stress, Low pay
Great place to work, but a few hangups.
Team lead (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 8, 2016
Teavana has been a fantastic employer to me. If you are passionate about tea, it's a good fit. The benefits are pretty great for a retail store- health insurance, stock in the company after a certain period of time, discounts and free product, and so on. The compensation rates could use a lift, especially based on performance. The only real chances for raises are on your yearly reviews, and the highest you can get raised is set in stone by corporate (and is meager cents on the dollar). Job security is pretty steady if you are competent and punctual. There are chances to advance, but it's pretty much a line of people always waiting to move up and you have to wait your turn, even if you're ready, due to lack of availability for positions. The management can be great or terrible, all depending on what store you work at (I've worked at two different ones and the management was like night and day). They try to foster a positive environment for the most part but it doesn't always work. Selling tea can be a lot more stressful than you think, but overall it's a great, steady job for people willing to put in the work.
Pros
Free Product, discounts, insurance.
Cons
slow to advance, semi-low wages, employees can be petty
If you can handle the BS
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 1, 2016
Teavana has a lot of great products, and great benefits, and for a mall job, they pay pretty well, with an opportunity to get commission on top of that. That being said:

They never get inspected. Tea isn't regulated by the FDA, so there's no third party to ensure everything is actually clean in those stores, and a few I've personally been into I would not accept a beverage from based on the staff's apparent cleaning habits. Keep that in mind when you're shelling out 5 bucks a pop for a to-go drink. None of the managers I'd ever encountered were ServSafe Certified either, and none from a background that included consumables.

If the store is managed correctly, and the competitive nature of the commission environment is tamed, it can be a great workplace. The schedule is supposed to be made 2 weeks ahead of time, which is nice, and it's not very strenuous, nor is it that hard to make your commission, and you meet some very interesting people.
Pros
30% off Teavana/Starbucks products, 1 free lb of coffee per week.
Cons
Management, Management, Management.
Not a bad place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTJanuary 9, 2017
A typical day at work starts at the sample cart and asking potential customers if they want to try a sample of tea. I've learned that the world of retail is an ever changing environment and is an unsteady one as well, however that's what adaptation is for. Our management is alright. Co-workers are eager to learn more and adapt to the ever changing environment. the hardest part of the job would probably have to be giving the proper information to the customer about the product they wish to purchase. The most enjoyable part of the day working with a customer that wants to purchase products and is honest and descriptive about what they wish to purchase, and after the sale is made, watching the customer leave with a smile on their face!
Great interaction with customer base
Barista/Sales Team Member (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 25, 2016
Work can be slow but there is always something to do in the store. One of the more interesting things you learn is how to properly interact with a diverse customer base. Management are always willing to work around the employees school, medical, and life schedules. Co- workers are as diverse as the customer base and can also be great to work with.The hardest part of the job can be on the slower days. While the best part of the job can be getting to understand the client base so that you can really help them with what they are looking for.
Pros
Working with diverse people
Cons
It does get too slow on some days.
Operations Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTAugust 24, 2016
Love the products, love the company, love the customers, love my co-workers. Working here feels like home, I have great communication with both my co-workers and the management. I never feel like there is an issue that I can't bring up to either my Manager or my Area Manager. Great benefits package, being part of Starbucks.
Pros
Great work environment, free tea while on the clock, flexible hours
Not a great company to work for if you are looking for job security and job stability
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 21, 2016
This company does not allow you to move up. All of their management is from Bath and Body Works. Their training is horrible and you do not learn anything. All they care about is a ridiculous sales goal and being the number one tea store in the company.
Pros
Free drinks while on the clock
Cons
Poor management, Pay is horrible, No sense of job security
Favorite place I worked
Area Manager/ New Store Trainer/ Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2016
Teavana was a great company before it was bought out by Starbucks. Many managers were lifers and would have gone to the moon and back for the company. The people that were committed to the company had a strong passion for tea. IF you but in the work, drove sales plan, developed great people and could relocate lots of opportunity for growth. Overall was a great career experience.
Pros
Under original owner trips to Atlanta for extensive product training, won a trip to Japan to visit Tea gardens, Great people to work with to build relationships and career.
Cons
Worked 7 days week, Often would travel a month at a time with no days off, changed over the few years and was difficult to keep product in stock in top 40 stores
Great First Job
OPERATIONS AND VISUAL TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALMarch 13, 2016
It's a lot of stuff to learn but overall the culture of the job is really fun. Hardest part is when stuff changes, which is a lot, and you have to change a behavior they wanted for the behavior they didn't want 6 weeks ago. It makes managing the store a little difficult as well. The people there are a little weird, but overall relatively nice. The store manager is the one everyone doesn't necessarily like but they respect her out of fear. I learned that my coworkers trust me more than the one they're supposed to, that I'm severely underpaid, I don't get enough time off. And when I do, my boss is calling me.
Pros
Full Health benefits for part time, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Low Pay for long hours
Comfortable workplace with an ever-changing job
Sales and Barista (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MODecember 23, 2016
One of my favorite parts of the job was how much I got to learn, both the skill of salesmanship and the product itself. The most enjoyable part was seeing people happy with our products, on the other hand it was frustrating to see people disappointed with our products. Or, more commonly, to be discouraged by the price.
Pros
Good management, comfortable environment
Cons
corporate pressure to push products
Alot of Growth from one store
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMay 23, 2016
This store is an ever-changing one. Whether it is the employees, the merchandise or the customers, something is consistently changing. I learned a lot of important customer service and leadership skills at this store and appreciate it for that. There is not much room for advancement sometimes because there aren't many positions that are open (many people try to work here). I will also say it does get a little cliquey when there are younger employees in the store. All in all, the pay is great, the co-workers aren't too bad and management can work on communication more.
Pros
good discount, relaxed enviornment
Cons
lack of communication
Up and coming alternative health resource
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 1, 2016
Teavana is a premium loose leaf tea retailer, and in my honest opinion is a fantastic company to work for. The variety of tea is immense, and the culture is rich. It is an invaluable commodity for tea aficionados and new comers alike. As an entry level job, there isn't a great deal of strain placed upon employees, and the general vibe of the store (i.e. tea, peace, relaxation, health) provide a fun, enjoyable environment to work in. The management are very accepting of all types of people, appearances aside. If you have a drive to work hard, and are willing to learn, you can easily thrive in this workplace. One caveat is the pricing; it is high end tea! Convincing and selling this product to customers can be tricky when they end up with a total bill of $200. I most enjoy having the chance to try every single tea every day and craft new blends to share with my customer base.
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 24, 2017
Educating customers about different tea and ways to brew tea as well as learning more myself each day. I learned how to multitask as well as brew different teas to each customers preference. Management was always patient and kind as well as very eager to assist me with things I was unsure of.
Pros
Helpful staff and a family like atmosphere
Cons
Pay just wasn't enough to live off of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teavana. Our community is ready to answer.