Teavana Employee Reviews

Fun, yet interesting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 1, 2016
After the first month it goes pretty well after learning EVERYTHING about it, but after switching out people about every 3 months you get the annoying people who don't know how to do anything at all and complain about everything. Very easy job just more toward drama and lack of actual retail sense with most workers. Can be very pushy depending on sales or stock.
Pros
Free drinks on the clock free lb of coffee a week
Cons
New workers constantly, floor resets
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 31, 2016
Teavana is a terrible place to work!!! Please, please, please take my advice! Do NOT work here... especially if you are applying for the barista position. Team members are pushed hard to sell and reach goals. If you do not make your goals, managers will bombard you with questions and ask you why you aren't making your goals. It is very sales-oriented and stressful.

Management isn't good. They found reasons to "let people go" just because they didn't like them. People were fired/let go without any warning. There is no sense of loyalty here. If you do your work well, there is no guarantee you won't get let go or fired.

If you are applying to be a barista, you basically do all the dirty work. You are asked to move and organize a lot of heavy boxes (shipments). The barista at our store was supposed to get holiday help, however the managers never looked. So, the barista had to do it all by themselves. You will be asked to get stuff while team members stand around with nothing to do.

Whatever you do, do not apply for the barista position. Although there is not a sales goal, you will not be equal to the other workers and will be taking out all the trash, doing all the heavy lifting, etc.

The only good thing about working here is the mark outs, but other than that, nothing.

Do not work here.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Tedious
Barista (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VaJanuary 28, 2016
In a job where you have to reach a certain quota of money, you can't help but feel things are a little tedious. With having to "advertise" to bring people indoors, and trying to push sales a little, I wasn't to big a fan of all that. To be honest management has gotten a little better, but could still use improvements.
Pros
Lenient on scheduling, 30 minute breaks, nice people, drink tea.
Cons
Non paid lunch, low pay
Cool Job that doesnt pay much
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  atlantaJanuary 28, 2016
Great environment, but you must be competitive because its a sales job. Management is very interpersonal, you can build relationships with your superiors up the chain because the reachout to communicate with you. drink as much tea as you want and flexable scheduling.
Pros
drink as much tea as you want
Cons
compensation
Educational Tea Experience
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 25, 2016
A typical work day is all about selling and educating the customer about Tea.
The company is a great company to work for, they really look out for their employees
not bad if you dont mind being up early
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2016
pretty good job, great benefits, free coffee, good people. very early hours, not much room for advancement, sometimes can be slow regarding customer traffic.
Pros
free coffee, good benefits, hours are good
Cons
can be demanding and busy, not much room for advancement.
Productive company with room for growth
Southwest Regional Training General Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJanuary 21, 2016
Teavana requires the best from its managers. They offer endless opportunities for growth to the managers that give it their all. The company is in the middle of a re-branding and ready for growth.
Enjoyable job, but puts rouse on for public
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIJanuary 20, 2016
While I learned a great deal more about tea than I thought I would, Teavana just is not a very well ran company. You'd think that being owned by Starbucks would make it a great place, but no.

You basically have to earn hours for the following week by forcing tea and tea accessories on customers that usually don't want it, (after all, it IS retail). It seems that the higher up the management chain you go, the more corrupt they get. They care not about you or your personal life, but for making money. And favorites are definitely played. Also, when you walk/get drug in, everyone has a chipper smile, and if a manager helps you, they'll usually make you feel like they're trying to help save you money. Well that's not true about 95% of the time. Don't get me wrong, there are some managers that work for the company that actually do care about the customer. Just not all of them. And that it passed on and embedded into the minds of the team members. Talk about a charade.

However, the benefits and perks of working at/for a Starbucks company are pretty fantastic. And there were a few employees that I did get fairly close with, friendship-wise, and a lot of employees that I despise.
Pros
Discounts, benefits, certain employees
Cons
Favoritism, shoddily ran, corrupt management, wasteful; the list goes on
Good benefits, Low wage, Great co-workers
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJanuary 18, 2016
Each store is only as good as the staff it is comprised of. My location has a great staff, is well managed, and comprises of a team-oriented environment setup to meet corporate sales goals for the week and month.

The most enjoyable part of the job for myself is helping customers, the unlimited tea, and starbucks benefits. This includes their healthcare, free spotify, discounts at large retailers, and free products.

The job isn't hard if one is a people person, but most employees will agree that the most annoying post would be the sample cart. Additionally completing emails while managing the store can be the hardest part of the job for store managers.
Pros
Starbucks (SB) partner perks, SB healthcare, Free Tea
Cons
Low pay, Low advancement opportunity
Low stress, easy part time job
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 8, 2016
Depending upon the store manger it can either be fun or stressful.
They do put a lot of focus on team member sales and do not really compensate for them. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning about tea and then being able to teach others about it. My co-workers were wonderful and probably the best part of the job.
Loved it Here!
Seasonal Barista (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 1, 2016
The pay wasn't fantastic, but work was great and I thoroughly enjoyed my seasonal position! It has a great culture, great management, great co-workers, and a lot of really interesting customers as well!
Pros
free tea, employee discount, daily free meal at Starbucks, weekly free pound of coffee at starbucks
Product is great, management has potential to inspire
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 29, 2015
When given the space to lead your team you can truly inspire and flourish your team to achieve new goals. However there is a lot of pressure given to the team with not a lot of payroll to execute. Longevity of the staff is harder to achieve as pay below GM is not competitive.
Pros
401k, Stock in the company, vacation time, sick days
Cons
Low pay, micro management can and will arise
Retail
BARISTA / SALES SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 24, 2015
It's seasonal retail. Doesn't require much description. Team was friendly but the work is well... retail. Company is going through changes. Now owned by Starbucks.
Decent Job with surprising benefits
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIDecember 16, 2015
- Learn to make exemplary tea
- Learn to up-sell
- Learn about many different kinds of tea
- Great perks while you are a Starbucks Partner
Wonderful place to work and learn new products. Lots of fun
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 3, 2015
I loved both of my managers I worked under, they were quick to coach us if we needed it. They kept us up to date on all new products. They kept it a fun environment by offering incentives and having an all around excellent attitude. Adored my co-workers, I made a lot of new friends and we all worked together to make help management run the store smoothly.
There was so much to learn in such little time, however both managers kept us up to speed with accurate information and ways to engage customers in product. I miss it there.
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
The regional manager at the time was awful to management and staff
Run.
team lead (Former Employee) –  OklahomaNovember 30, 2015
Teavana is a terrible company to work for.

I was there for less than a week when I was told that my sales were not enough and my hours were cut. Then they talked to me again and said if I didn't make more sales that I was going to be demoted.

I would be watching the floor and be helping customers and the manager would say, "Have you helped them yet? What are you DOING? Have you had them try all of our teas? Which one is their favorite?"

I was the manager of a retail store for five years and I kept getting raises because I was so good at my job. I quit my job to move and I didn't expect to be treated like this.

I called in and quit on a Saturday after being there for two weeks. I pretty much was like, F this.
Pros
There was one cool chick that worked there, you get free tea
Cons
Have fun trying to force people to buy stuff they don't need, asking ever person that walks by if they want to try some tea, being a robot
Amazing Team
Supervisor/ Tea Barista/ Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 29, 2015
Responsible for Inventory of the Tea supplies provided weekly. Loved my team players and loved working hard for this company before it was bought out by Starbucks :)
Pros
Liberation
Cons
Needed more structure
Great place
Operations/Visual Team Lead (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 28, 2015
Enjoyed working there, just wished the pay matched the job responsibilities. Benefits were ok, and the training and education of the product is in depth.
Amazing Company Pre- Starbucks
General Manager (GM) And Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2015
Before the Starbucks Buy out, Teavana was the best Job I could ask for. No matter your position in the company, your voice was heard and mattered
Teavana
Team Lead/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJNovember 15, 2015
A culture that most people are not aware of, the Tea Culture. Learned so much about Tea and all the benefits it has to offer, made me want to live a healthier lifestyle. After the merger with Starbucks and all the changes, there was mass confusion and jobs were not secure. The environment was not as fun anymore and everyone seemed to have to watch their back.
Pros
learning about and receiving tea
Cons
constant change of selling and none secure jobs