Teavana Employee Reviews

Fun Work Place with Great Benefits
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNJuly 11, 2016
I worked at Teavana for 3 years and it is the best job I have had so far in my experience (about 6 jobs). Great benefits and everyone works together in a close environment so you really get to know everyone. It was frustrating at times and the learning curve is tough (with all the tea knowledge and opinions out there) but they really try to teach you about benefits and not just flavors. For me I learned a lot about myself and my attitude and working with others who have the same passions as I do.
Fun place to work but management does not train their employees well
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJuly 10, 2016
I was hired at Teavana to be a key-holder as well as a floor manager. This job was physically demanding as it requires its employees to stand all day and is very competitive. Management would constantly tell employees that they had to hit a certain number in sales.
Pros
All the free cups of tea and rock sugar your heart desires
Cons
Minimal training
Great place to work, but a few hangups.
Team lead (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 8, 2016
Teavana has been a fantastic employer to me. If you are passionate about tea, it's a good fit. The benefits are pretty great for a retail store- health insurance, stock in the company after a certain period of time, discounts and free product, and so on. The compensation rates could use a lift, especially based on performance. The only real chances for raises are on your yearly reviews, and the highest you can get raised is set in stone by corporate (and is meager cents on the dollar). Job security is pretty steady if you are competent and punctual. There are chances to advance, but it's pretty much a line of people always waiting to move up and you have to wait your turn, even if you're ready, due to lack of availability for positions. The management can be great or terrible, all depending on what store you work at (I've worked at two different ones and the management was like night and day). They try to foster a positive environment for the most part but it doesn't always work. Selling tea can be a lot more stressful than you think, but overall it's a great, steady job for people willing to put in the work.
Pros
Free Product, discounts, insurance.
Cons
slow to advance, semi-low wages, employees can be petty
funny but difficult to balance
Barista/team (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 2, 2016
I've have been working with the company since the last holiday season. the job it's nothing difficult, but with recent changes to the work style and effort they want puts a lot of people down. and with a manager who can go from a nice act to physically chewing you out it heavily weights down on the experiment there.

its a nice starting job for anyone looking for there first place hours are chaotic but manageable and the co workers are nice, and are ready to help when needed
Pros
great co-workers, very easy to get into
Cons
commission style of sale, management needs improving
Terrible Management in store and out
Lone Tree, Colorado - Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COJuly 1, 2016
Terrible management! have zero respect for employees no mater how good their sales are they treat you as if you expendable
productive, fun, welcoming
Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJJuly 1, 2016
I adore working for teavana. The manager does not at like he is above the team members and is right there on the sales floor with us. Everyone is so welcoming and inviting. Instead of criticizing they offer suggestions to help you learn and advance yourself. Great break times and benefits!
Pros
15 minute paid break and 30 minute unpaid break in any shift, healthcare for part time employees, 30% store products, tuition reimbursement, given stock in Starbucks
Cons
none!
Terrible management
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 28, 2016
The management is terrible and they don't know how to hire competent people. There was too much drama and it was an entirely unprofessional work environment.
Cons
Low pay, horrible managers, incompetent employees
loved it
Associate (Current Employee) –  Hyannis, MAJune 28, 2016
fun open environment!
great hours and easy to learn work!!
my co-workers were great and moving up was a breeze
the discount is nice and has awesome benefits
It was great overall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJune 27, 2016
I learned alot of cool facts about imported teas. I was fully trained as a barista. A typical day at work was fun and with great music and with the right people during my shift we made all of our goals for the day
Loved it here!
"Team Leader" (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NY 14225June 24, 2016
One of my favorite jobs! Loved learning all about the teas and their health benefits. Such a rewarding job. Getting to help others through the power of tea.

Want to know more about Teavana?

Ask a question
Wonderful Tea
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAJune 24, 2016
Team was pretty good, the tea was awesome. I gained a lot of knowledge about tea and the culture. I love tea and working at Teavana opened my world to the endless combinations of tea.
Great place to learn about tea and the "tea culture"
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 17, 2016
Teavana is a wonderful place to work and a great loose leaf tea company with high quality merchandise and tea from around the world. The staff are wonderful and happy people to work with and Teavana exemplifies a "team work" environment. The training is interesting and educational and easy to learn and the atmosphere of Teavana is relaxing and welcoming. I would recommend Teavana to anyone who is interested in tea culture and wants to learn more about tea and anyone needing flexible hours or part time work.
Pros
Free tea drinks, Starbucks employee discount and weekly perks
Cons
Not many hours, hard to move up from within.
Substantial
Team Member/ Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTJune 16, 2016
It was okay. The hours weren't the best and neither was the management but the new sales approach is fantastic and they only way to truly sell anything.
Please avoid unless you are desperate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJune 6, 2016
Don't get paid enough for the amount of work you do and hours are absolutely horrible. If you can, try to find a better job.
Pros
free drinks, starbucks perks
Cons
bad hours, bad pay, not much ability to grow in company
good place
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 3, 2016
Great place to work at. traveling opportunities. great pay. always have fun during training. everyone loves each other. I love being part of the teavana
productive and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAJune 1, 2016
I've learned allot about tea from working there. It's been quite an enjoyable experience thus far, and I've been able to exercise my customer service there.
If you can handle the BS
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 1, 2016
Teavana has a lot of great products, and great benefits, and for a mall job, they pay pretty well, with an opportunity to get commission on top of that. That being said:

They never get inspected. Tea isn't regulated by the FDA, so there's no third party to ensure everything is actually clean in those stores, and a few I've personally been into I would not accept a beverage from based on the staff's apparent cleaning habits. Keep that in mind when you're shelling out 5 bucks a pop for a to-go drink. None of the managers I'd ever encountered were ServSafe Certified either, and none from a background that included consumables.

If the store is managed correctly, and the competitive nature of the commission environment is tamed, it can be a great workplace. The schedule is supposed to be made 2 weeks ahead of time, which is nice, and it's not very strenuous, nor is it that hard to make your commission, and you meet some very interesting people.
Pros
30% off Teavana/Starbucks products, 1 free lb of coffee per week.
Cons
Management, Management, Management.
Good
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GA 30144May 27, 2016
Teavana expects a lot out of its employees. It CAN be fast paced but mostly you are just standing around waiting for someone to sample the tea. You are expected to make your sales goal nearly every day even when the mall that your store is in is always dead.
Teavana, your cup of tea?
Barista/ Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 19, 2016
I love working at Teavana, great atmosphere and learned so much about all types of tea. I just don't see me having a career here. To many regulations and the tea are not all natural.
Pros
Bonus
Terrible place to work. Don't waste your time.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 9, 2016
I don't even know where to BEGIN. This is hands-down the worst job I have ever had, and I never felt as unhappy in my life. The pay is not at all commensurate with the amount of work you are expected to do, and the amount of money you are expected to make in one shift. The selling practices are pushy, and deceptive. If you question them at all, or try to be "honest" in your selling techniques, you WILL be mowed over and pushed out. This company cares about one thing, and one thing only; the bottom line. They know they are offering an inferior product, and they are so afraid you will go home and realize you got ripped off and never come back, that we are trained to milk customers for EVERY LAST DOLLAR. If you do not upsell, upsell, upsell, you will be constantly nagged at and made to feel like a failure. Management is incompetent, gossipy and childish. Work environment is hostile and reminiscent of middle school. Just an all-around terrible job. The manager once wouldn't let me leave work early when I was THROWING UP because "we still have to make our numbers today." Guess what?? I make MINIMUM WAGE. If you want your employees to care, PAY THEM A DECENT LIVING WAGE. If you want them to make you $100+ dollars/hour, PAY THEM MORE THAN 10 TO DO IT. People are constantly bickering, the managers will blatantly steal sales from you to improve their own numbers. This is a MISERABLE place. If you work at this place, you WILL hate your life. Just don't bother. Work for a company whose mission statement isnt to "be the most well-known brand in the tea business."
Pros
Free tea. Somewhat decent benefits if you can stick out the first 90 days.
Cons
Terrible management, pettiness, unrealistic sales goals.