Teavana

Teavana Employer Reviews

Management experience learned; Pros and Cons of Management
Retail Sales - Team Lead & Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAMay 14, 2014
Pros: decent pay; personal bonuses
Cons: limited opportunity; poor leadership; poor sales strategy; lack of concern for employees
I was the only employee during my time there that made my bonus every single month that I was employed there. Overworked. Underpaid. Poor corporate communication and advancement opportunities. I learned a great deal about corporate jobs that are positive and negative. I am thankful for the experience but look forward to taking what I have learned and – more... being a more effective communicator and better manager. – less
Don't knock it until you try it.
Barista (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 12, 2014
Pros: virtually free tea, fun work environment, easy to advance at first.
Cons: sometimes bad co-workers, customers (ugh), once you get to the gm position it is hard to go higher from there.
I was moved a few times in the stores in Dallas and what I noticed was that all of the customers are the same but what working at Teavana really comes down to is: How compatible are you with the co-workers.
In some places they are very aggressive and hungry to steal your sales and move up in the company. In most others they are laid back and very enjoyable – more... to be around. It really does change from store to store. – less
This company does not care about their employees. Just dont even apply. My manger is being allowed to target her employees
Team Lead (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 30, 2014
Cons: everything
I'd like to just take time and write about what happened to me in Teavana.
I was an employee for two years, got promoted to team lead and was consistant in making A-A+ every week in sales. I was a good employee. We were all friends with each other and all got a long. This past november my manager (who only got promoted because our manager for ten years – more... had to leave for medical reasons) started to have a relationship with a team member. At first no one minded. But the more it progressed the more hours he would get, even though he was making only B's. So we started to get annoyed but nothing serious. But then one day, my manager went on an unpaid break witht he team member and got drunk and came back to work.This made several of us mad. We sat down and one of us called our Area Manager and just let her know what was going on in the store. That area manager gave us her word about not telling anyone who called her. Because, you know, that would make the workplace very uncomfortable.
But. What does she do? Goes straight to our manager. Our manager got angry and sinc se knew who called, she took it out on me. For five months I dealt with that. With her calling me stupid, snapping at me for no reason.
Twoards the end of my employment, it got worse. two weeks before I left she targeted a coworker and created lies and rumors and gave the employee a choice to quit, or be fired. For no reason. She wouldnt tell the employee what her reason was at all. Just that she heard things. And after that employee left, it was my turn.
Ill point out now that in my two years of working there, and four years retail experience, I have never been written up or been given a warning.But two weeks before I left, my manager called me in the back and showed me a piece of paper that I wrote my time punch on because I wasnt able to clock in. She informed me I wrote the number. And I agreed. I did write the wrong number, but since I was running late, I rushed to open the store. Thats when she starts with her attitude trying to say that I was trying to Steal NINE dollars from the company. I was in shock. Why in the world would I want to steal nine dollars. If I wanted to look like I wasnt late and wanted more money would I put myself inside the grace period? But she WROTE me up anyways. My first one. And I signed it, stupidly. But I did leave a comment in it. Things went back to normal, (meaning she was visibly angry at work everyday making employees and customers uncomfortable). Just a week later, I woke up on a saturday I was supposed to open And I felt so sick I had to go to the hospital. I had my father call my manger to let her know where I was and why I wasnt at work. She didnt answer so he left her a voicemail. three hours later she called me but I had three meds in my system because I had strep throat and sinusitis. She called my mom and my mom let her know again, I was very sick.
The next day I got some energy and went to a managers meeting (against doctors orders sicne it hadnt been a full 24 hours with antibiotics) but I went and as soon as I did, my manager called me into the back. I handed her my doctors note and she told me "I do not accept this. You were drunk. I dont accept this and UMA(area manager) does not accept this. You will be written up" I was dumbfounded. What? for what? So i shut up and just went into the meeting trying not to get too mad. I went home, talked to my parents. My dad called my manager again to make sure he had the right number, and when she picked up he let her know, he did call.
That wednesday was my next scheduled day. My manager called in another team lead which is very odd, two managers closing in one night. So I knew, it was my turned to be given the choice to quit or be fired.
So I went into work, saw my name on no team sheet or anything(everyone working a particular day will have their goals on it) But the other team lead's name was on it. So I asked my manager why and she pulled me back again and presented me with my SECOND WRITE UP. In two weeks. But this one made me angry. IT was all a lie. She said my dad did not call, and i risked a fine for the store because they opened late. (EVEN THOUGH SHE HAS GONE IN AND OPENED THE STORE 4 HOURS LATE BECAUSE SHE WAS HUNG OVER) and that I was hungover. EVEN though I was almost assing out in front of her due to strep, and even though she knows I get severe sinusitis almost three times a year,

So thats when I got up and left. I could not let her treat me like that. Like I hadnt been faithful for two years. After I left, she targeted three more people. All the people she has targeted knew about her and the relationship she had. So she was trying to get rid of us.

I've contacted HR several times, and so has everyone else. Theyve done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Even though this has happened to five people and theyve gotten 6 reports on the manager.
Im now finding out my area manager has been lying about that entire situation. And of course, so is my former manager.

This company does not care about their employees.
Do not give them money
Also, the teas have preservatives and they bye the teas from farmers for like 90 cents an ounce.. – less
fun place to work
Tea Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2014
everyday was fun
i learned how to brew tea
management needs a little improvement
hardest part of work was leaving because it was super great
i love tea.
Terrible work environment
Brewer/ Stolk (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 31, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: to fast to do your job and to un organized.
Not a fun environment if you want to keep your workspace clean and the stock organized. They give you Very little hours (4 hours a week)
Its fun but hectic
Barista (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 31, 2014
Pros: tea is amazing, learn more and more about the product your selling, happy enviroment
Cons: very crowded when packed, not enough training time, left with hands tied alot
Lots and lots of reading is done at this job...so if anything you got to know what your selling form the history to the taste to the look.
its hectic depending on what your doing but if you have a good relationship with your crew..its all fun!
Eccentric work environment with an emphasis on education of products.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee), Portage, MIMarch 22, 2014
POS functions and opening the store in the morning. Sales goals and sales accountability.
Fun work place for tea lovers
Team Member (Current Employee), Oak Brook, ILMarch 22, 2014
Pros: free drinks all shift, 30% discounts. starbucks discounts
Cons: hour cuts. not a lot of sales.
Its a great job is the tea culture really interest you. There is so many neat products we offer and over 90 teas to choose from. only downfall is hours can go from 20-30 one week and 10-15 the nexts. also regional manager sets too high of goals and freaks and blames staff when goals arent met.
I was this stores manager
General Manager (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 6, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: life
This is a great company if you hate life outside of the company.
They boast of how they treat employees but what am act.
They will give you things. Like some free tea, a few paid days off *they dictate*.
Teavana gives you what will make them look good.
Don't ask cause you won't receive.
I was the manager here for over a year. I personally hired over – more... 85% of its staff.
Trust me... its tea hell
I loved this company until I saw is true colors..
good luck – less
Fun place, but terrible hours.
Barista (Former Employee), South Portland, MEFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits, great co-workers
Cons: no room to progress, unreliable hours
I had a very nice and supportive team members. The company is very well run, but management has issues. They are a good job to help you through a small rough patch, but a hard job to advance. The environment is very fast paced. They do have problems keeping the store clean.
Apply now if you are willing to trade your soul.
Mentor, OH (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: free tea, open-minded, fast-paced
Cons: low-pay, terrible management, high-pressure sales, little to no career advancement opportunities
Teavana is a horrible company that doesn't know how to treat its employees, especially after the Starbucks merger.

Store associates are seriously underpaid, management is unprofessional and petty, and you can basically expect all the typical mall-retail drama working for Teavana that you would anywhere else.

I also got the opportunity to attend a – more... 2-week training course in Atlanta, GA with the great people at the headquarters. It was very inspiring, informative, and generally a good time. The CEO gave a nice speech about the future of the business and how he valued us as employees. One of the things that I was most impressed with is his passion to promote from within and to give those promotions to people who have demonstrated hard work and success, regardless of their experience or educational background.

After working for Teavana for three years, five different locations, I still only was a "key-holder" team lead being paid under 10 dollars per hour.

After being sent to HQ because I was the top-performer in all locations that I worked, an 18 year old employee who had been working for the company less than 6 months was given a promotion over me.

A lecherous, lazy, constantly late and sexist employee was promoted to Assistant Manager over me, even though he had three official Sexual Harassment claims against him.

Why?

I realized that Teavana is a popularity contest full of kissing the butt of your General and Area Managers so that they can make you look good to Corporate management. I have no doubt in the CEO's passion and truth in his message I heard him give, however it does NOT follow through to the ground-level.

In a company that uses a set formula for it's selling techniques which is consistent in nearly all 250+ stores in America, it is shocking that their managerial and HR practices have not followed through to the bottom as well.

Ultimately, this company only cares about making money. After the starbucks merger, there was also a significant decrease in the quality of the teas and products, and NO ONE received a raise even though the company sold for over half a million dollars.

After appealing to my General, District, and Area managers only to receive discouragement and the suggestion that I pursue a career at a different company, I gave up and walked out on my last shift at Teavana.

Fortunately, because they have "perfected" the sales pitch I was easily replaced. The turnover for Team members in the company is alarming and is a clear indicator that they don't give a s**** about you unless you're at least at the General Manager level.

So. My advice to you. If you are a high school kid (18+) or didn't go to college and looking for an awesome place to work for some extra cash, apply to Teavana. I have had some wonderful experiences and met great people.

But don't bank on it as a career path. It is not viable and you will only get discouraged. – less
Typical environment
Cashier/Help (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: free beverages while one shift, 30% discount on all products
Cons: stressfull sales enviroment
Usually worked 6 - 8 hour shifts, got a 30 minute lunch each time. I learned very quickly how to use their register system, Learned about every kind of tea and benefits. Layout of the store. Hardest thing for me is convincing people to buy a lot of stuff. Overall I loved my fellow employees the most. However they where 3 weeks late in paying me.
Cool laid back place to work
Operations / Visual Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: 30% off all merchandise, great health and company 41k beneifits
Cons: short breaks
I review company emails, set and focus on store plan, personal and individuals floor employees sales goals. I have learned how to maintain company productivity standards. I learned to process refunds paperwork properly. I am used to working around different personalities. The hardest part of my job would have to be keeping up with all the visual organization – more... of the store because it changes so often you have to keep up with it. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be helping customers and building this trusting relationship with them. – less
Kind of boring, just stood in the same spot for many hours at a time while not doing very much productive work.
Cashier (Former Employee), Madison, WIJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: free tea, easy
Cons: wish i'd been doing more, time passes really slow when you're not doing anything.
I would come in and put on an apron, then punch in. Then I would stand at the cash register and check people out. Except that many times, the store wasn't very busy, so I would just end up standing there doing nothing (because I wasn't really allowed to do anything other than be a cashier). I did learn a good amount about teas. The hardest part of the – more... job was probably just that I felt very unproductive, and wished I could've been doing more to help out. The most enjoyable part of the job was the free tea, and getting to know my co workers. – less
Ripoff for customers and sales associates.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: free tea, but i stopped because tea absorbs all the employee f-rts. yes they f-rt in the tea.
Cons: favoritism, managers stealing your sales because its easy to steal sales on the computer, aggressive sales and lying to customers, really expensive tea when you can buy the exact same thing for a lot cheaper everywhere else.
When I first applied here, I just thought it was a simple barista kind of job where you sell hot/iced tea, dry tea or make tea mixes for people while selling their tea kettles and other products. NO. This is an AGGRESSIVE sales position where you're supposed to try to drag people into the stores with free tea samples, where you tour them around the – more... store, leading them to the ridiculously expensive Cast Iron pots (where you can buy A LOT cheaper online or in other stores), and then to other areas of the store. 90% of the time people catch onto what you're doing and shy away or say "this is commission based isnt it? I can tell...". Unless you want to embarrass yourself by looking like a desperate fool, then this is the perfect job for you! By the way for cheaper BETTER QUALITY tea, shop anywhere else but teavana. Teavana's products are cheap material anyway! The amount of times they open the canisters to "show off the tea", the tea isn't even fresh anymore. The tea has absorbed the f-rts of the employees since more than half of the tea canisters are at butt level anyway lol!!!!! Please get better quality and fresher tea elsewhere!!!!!!! If you want good quality cast iron then shop in asian stores or WELL KNOWN stores. Working in Teavana is a ripoff as well because the managers STEAL your sales. This has happened to me several times, I got the manager fired after pointing it out to upper management. I quit the store, too much drama and f-rting from management and employees. (I had to dash out the word because it warned me of inappropriate language! Its the truth though, maybe this cant handle the truth) – less
productive.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burnsville, MNJanuary 20, 2014
learning process about tea and also becoming a seasonal sales associate.
Great opportunity to learn sales
General Manager (Former Employee), Brea, CAJanuary 17, 2014
Typical day including meeting sales goals, directing staff and providing knowledge of tea and tea products for customers
Fun, upbeat place to indulge in a great product.
General Manager (Current Employee), Exton, PAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: wonderful benefits, as part of the starbucks family; good pay; fun atmosphere
Cons: pto structure; room for advancement; slow-paced
A typical day at Teavana always starts by arriving somewhat early to make myself a cup of one of the world's most amazing teas! And the rest of the day follows suit, insomuch that the job is incredibly product-centric.

Our job as Teavana partners is to introduce the benefits of high-quality, loose-leaf tea to as many new customers as possible, and – more... educate them on why a strong tea habit can make their life better.

I work with a team of passionate, fun, interesting people and have gotten to know them as a second family.

The hardest part of the job is the aggressive sales plan we have to achieve. It's challenging, bordering on unrealistic.

The most enjoyable part of the job is truly connecting with people who begin to see why they should make tea a central theme in their daily routines. Helping people get healthier and introducing them to some of the nuances of this traditional beverage is my favorite! – less
Fun workplace, yet too much expected of you for how well they treat you.
Barista (Former Employee), Natick, MA, USAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: free tea during your shift
Cons: often have to stay late.
I really enjoyed working at Teavana, but I worked as a barista for the store, while also working as their stock boy. The two jobs got in the way of each other constantly, yet they wouldn't hire a dedicated stock handler of some kind. It made my job much more difficult, so I wouldn't be able to get all of my work done by the time I was supposed to leave, – more... which meant I had to stay late most days. That being said, it's an awesome work culture, with fun interesting people (who are drawn to the store due to the whole tea concept), and management honestly tried to keep us happy and healthy. Free tea during your shift is a bonus. – less
This job is a fun job.
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Willow Grove, PAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: free tea
Cons: no room for advancement
I like all of my coworkers very well. Ive gained much customer service experience from working at Teavana. I educated myself on the products we carry and am very confident when selling to customers. Ive made top 40 sales person in the country twice.

About Teavana

Teavana Holdings hopes its customers become steeped in its tea stores. Through some 250 company-owned retail stores, Teavana Holdings – Read more

Teavana Photos