Under general supervision of the Infrastructure Application Manager, Clinical Engineering Manager, and Mission Bay IT Program, this position is responsible for providing supervision and technical assistance in the implementation, development, and support of Nurse Call and RTLS applications being installed at the Mission Bay Hospital Campus and used throughout the institution. This position interacts with clinical and business customers, as well as various IT groups, external departments, and outside vendors and consultants. Position is responsible for complex assignments that are small to significantly sized, that require independence, decision making, project management, and judgment levels beyond that of Programmer/Analyst II. Analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. Incumbent will exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criterion for obtaining results.
The Clinical and Infrastructure Application Analyst reports directly to the Mission Bay Information Technology Program, but also has matrix reporting relationship to the Clinical Engineering Manager and Infrastructure Applications Manager.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide technical consultation and guidance to other team members.
- Meet weekly with the Infrastructure Application Manager and Clinical Engineering Manager to prioritize team workload.
- Support new project development, including systems analysis, planning and preparation, coding, testing and implementation and client coordination as needed.
- Provide production support, by being on-call, carrying a pager and remote dial-in and onsite support as necessary to keep systems operational.
- Develop, support and maintain systems documentation and procedures as needed and provide training to other IT staff and user clients as appropriate.
- Coordinate interactions and activities of vendors, both on-site and off-site as related to systems or areas supported.
- Assign, plan, manage and complete tasks with minimal supervision and coordinate multiple assignments concurrently.
- Coordinate and participate directly in the support of infrastructural applications, including
o Awarepoint Real Time Location Services (RTLS)
o Rauland Borg Adult Nurse Call
o Zettler Pediatric Nurse Call
- Support and maintain AwarePoint Real Time location system: Tags, Servers, Application support, and vendor management.
- Perform daily system monitoring including ensuring that automatic data collection is functioning correctly, reviewing logs for hardware and software.
- Troubleshoot problems end-to-end, identifying potential root cause, coordinating service/support between Clinical Engineering, IT, Network support, server support, medical device vendors, MDI application vendor and Apex application support.
- Work with IT to coordinate security management process including risk and vulnerability analysis and related documentation associated with interconnected/integrated medical systems
- Work with clinical and application stakeholders in developing specifications for new interfaces.
- Test and provide quality control for implementation of new interfaces.
- Assist Clinical System Engineering Manager in the planning and development of new hardware and software interfaces by MDI application vendor.
- Provide technical and administrative support for other Clinical System Engineering staff – i.e. will assist in the implementation, integration and support of new medical systems at UCSFMC.
- All other duties as may be assigned.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
o Know how to triage and handle all non-IT-supported systems.
o Work schedule and travel flexibility.
o Exercise sound judgment and prioritization and reorganization of customer requests.
o Maintain solid communications skills and develop working relationships with other IT staff, other members of UCSF Medical Center departments, outside resources such as vendors and technical representatives and their affiliates.
o Be available 24x7 for emergencies involving technical problems that affect the ability to provide patient care.
o Be available for work shift hours that include weekends and off-hours as part of regular work shift.
o May have incidental access to confidential information. As such, employee is expected to adhere and abide to UCSF confidentiality agreements, policies and procedures
o Communicates effectively, works productively and cooperatively with other UCSF Medical Center departments.
o Participates in Medical Center Committees as needed.
o Demonstrates a clear understanding of, and consistently adheres to all Medical Center and department policies and procedures.
o Attends and actively participates in department and facility meetings and classes, including annual fire, safety, and disaster programs.
o Follows safety procedures, operates equipment and performs job related duties in a safe manner which prevents accidents from occurring.
o Demonstrates sensitivity to diversity and acceptance of patients, families, visitors, and co-workers regardless of race, gender, life-style, religious or cultural beliefs, or disease process or treatment.
o Demonstrates commitment to quality through continuous organizational improvement.
o Exhibits a customer/supplier philosophy that emphasizes both internal and external relationships; identifies both customer and supplier needs/expectations and strives to exceed them.
o Treats others as customers and fosters this philosophy throughout the organization.
o Demonstrates responsibility for ongoing personal development, professional growth and continuing education.
o Performs duties in a self-directed manner with minimal supervision or direction.
o Ensures that routine and priority tasks are completed within established departmental time frames.
o Other duties as assigned.
- At least 5 years of experience in a highly regulated clinical healthcare environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, graduation from a school with an equivalent curriculum, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with server and network monitoring tools and designing system interfaces is required.
- Basic understanding of EDI concepts including basic structure of HL-7 standard and how information flows from one system/ application to another using HL-7 format.
- Strong interpersonal, written, technical, and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and projects independently and simultaneously.
- Strong problem solving and analytic skills; able to use knowledge of systems to identify source of problem quickly.
- Strong understanding of server operations, network operations, security, Wi-Fi networking and cabling.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent judgment, attention to process and detail. Follow up on relevant clinical/equipment issues.
- Discretion, confidentiality, tact, and ability to deal with sensitive issues.
- Able to prioritize multiple deadlines and dependent activities.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of PC hardware, software and Windows operating systems (i.e., WindowsNT\2000\XP and MS Office 2000\3) is required. Experience and knowledge of printer technology, especially the HP line of printers is preferred.
- Experience in supporting Windows desktop computers in an enterprise AD environment utilizing GPO and SMS is required.
- General network knowledge, including network connectivity from faceplate to hub, including use of punch-down tools, toners, and LAN scanning equipment.
- Extended general business application support skills, including Remedy and MS Office tools.
- Must have working knowledge of PC peripheral equipment including CD ROMs, hard drives, NIC cards, PDA and motherboards.
- Well-developed troubleshooting skills, including tenacious ability to research, analyze and resolve a variety of hardware and software problems.
- Must be able to communicate well both verbally and in writing, as well as be able to follow both verbal and written instructions. The person in this position must be able to work with all levels of staff and work independently with minimum supervision.
- 3+ years’ experience supporting and implementing clinical communications systems such as Comtel or Emergin
- 2+ years’ experience supporting Rauland-Borg or similar nurse call systems
- 2+ years’ experience in mobile-device support and integration.
- Demonstrated expertise in IT systems’ analysis.
- Intermediate understanding of Microsoft Server 2003, 2008, and SQL operating systems and functions.
- Intermediate understanding of clinical systems middleware and integration protocols.
- Ability to stay current with new technologies and maintain desire and ability to learn these technologies.
- Experience with the development and support of web-based applications.
- Ability to put together application-support structures for vended infrastructural applications that do not fit easily into a single-group support structure.
- Working knowledge of VoIP or other network technologies and standards
- Working knowledge of information security best practices and demonstrated commitment to information security.
- A valid California state driver’s license is preferred, since auto travel to other sites is often required.
- Expertise in end user devices including Windows desktop/laptops and operating systems.
- Medical device technology knowledge preferred.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of clinical workflows; applicable to the functionality and capability of Nurse Call systems and integrated devices.
- Quality improvement or patient safety knowledge and experience preferred.
- Experience implementing and maintaining a large scale Real Time Location System in a healthcare environment.
- Experience with server technologies (Windows Server, Linux) and data center operations.
- At least 1- 2 years’ experience in the Maintenance Connection Equipment Management Database is highly preferred.
- Experience with Epic Hyperspace Summer 2010. Bridges certification a plus.
- Working knowledge of University of California management and employee policies and procedures.
- Experience working in an academic health care, healthcare, or university environment.
- Cisco and/or APeX certification.
- Working knowledge of Service Now Software.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce.com platform.
- Working knowledge of AMCOM clinical communications systems.
- Working knowledge of University of California management and employee polices.
- Experience with SQL and/or Epic Clarity.
Indeed - 21 months ago
At Tech Observer our Pharmacovigilance and Drug Safety group is dedicated solely to collecting, interpreting and reporting safety events on...