TECHSHOP Employee Reviews

Events
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 13, 2017
TechShop is a wonderful melting pot of creators. It is a great place to find trade skills that you are good at and can nurture advancement in those skills. It has limited room for advancement as an employee but offers other discounts and perks as a replacement.
Pros
Delightful staff, clean/ AC, Nice clients, good hours
Cons
no real advancement, little to no raises, can seem stagnant at times
Great people, and fun workplace
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 14, 2017
After catching up with members who are working on their projects, I enjoy the number of inspiring interactions that TechShop conducts. It is easy to contact my manager and team leaders for new projects. There is a lot of tools, and educators to learn from. A great stepping stone!
Startup Culture: High Paced - High Stress
Senior Director of IT and IS (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJuly 20, 2017
The culture in the stores is AMAZING and fun; creative and energetic staff, inventors, entrepreneurs, scientists, engineers, DIYers, and trade professionals all focused on building things. I love being in a TechShop, it is a place everyone should be a member of once in their lives - just to see if they are a Maker at heart (if they don't know it already).

The hardest part of my job was the constant pressure and stress. Additionally, the scope creep on projects. This created massive cost overruns, exhausted and frustrated project team members, constant delivery date changing and constant project realignment. I saw too many employees loose relationships over the stress and commitment level required.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and the store staff. I learned a great deal about the Maker Movement and how hard some people will work to build their dreams.
Pros
Great Enviroment at the Stores
Cons
Constant Stress, Extreemly Long Hours and Project Scope Creep
Fun place to work, many talented people and members
Basic Safety & Use Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2017
Great place to be an instructor, great staff and members. Very creative and challenging place to hang out and teach ! An always changing and growing environment.
Pros
Great club/rental facility for makers
Cons
bad business model for pittsburgh location
Unproductive training due to management.
FD Lead Salesman (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXSeptember 19, 2016
Management was trying to keep up with a shop that had been poorly ran for quite some time. I was hired in during a transitional period, with pricing, and growth, etc. We tried a new tiered membership system, which was an ultimate failure, and I got laid off due to corporate cutting company expenditures and jobs by 35%.

I loved the mentality of the members, but I joined at a time where my fellow employees bad attitudes were affecting my own.

I was laid off due to cutting company costs, not due to my performance, etc.
Pros
Using company equipment after work, etc.
Cons
No breaks, poor management, poor sales techniques, unorganized structure and environment.
Fun open-minded workplace
Dream Consultant, Class Instructor (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJune 27, 2016
The Management team is always in transition, whether it be for travel or just not hired and leaves the employe feeling leader-less and unsuccessful.
Pros
Free membership and training
Cons
Short lunches, Low pay
Great and Fun Work Environment
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 12, 2016
-Learned Market Research skills
-Learn how to use every workshop tool
-Learned to work with people my age and older
-Learned how to give a successful pitch
Pros
Free Transportation, Free lunch, and free membership
Exciting maker space full of potential
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 2, 2014
As a relatively new company, there are still kinks to be worked out, but overall TechShop is a great place to work. All the staff are great and the community of members is very positive.