TEFCU Employee Reviews

Don't Do It
Administration (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 8, 2013
Pros: none.
Cons: everything
I worked at TEFCU for about 8 months. I am a positive person so I will say this. If you can stand constant criticism, back biting, excessively long hours, unrealistic expectations, and a job well done without reward, this is the place for you.

My main issue here was the lack of care or concern for my family life and the lack of trust in my ability to own my position. I'm a professional and it amazes me how folks with a "position" think they can do your job better, instead of trusting the professional they hired. This is a micro-managing atmosphere and you are under constant scrutiny. Not observance. – more... They are LOOKING for mistakes. You could miss a period on a sentence and get a tongue lashing. You can do something with the BEST of intentions and if it is off by a half of a percent or nanoparticle, you get suspended. It is crazy. You stand up for yourself, you get fired. You stand up for someone else, you get fired. You get blamed for mistakes made on work you didn't even DO. I'm not kidding, it is THAT BAD!

If you value your career/profession, don't come here. She looks for ways to bring you down which can lead to a bad reputation in your industry. If you weigh your salary with the hours you work, you will be getting paid pennies. I HATE that I ever came here to work but I met some awesome people and I am grateful for that. – less
Waste of Time
Administration (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: 401k, cool employees
Cons: no work-life balance, long hours, psychotic management, not enough checks and balances
I used to work for TEFCU. I came thinking I'd be getting better pay and and wonderful hours. Boy was I wrong!

You come in thinking that your typical workday is 7:45-4:15. But when you start working, you're overwhelmed. Most days were long. You don't want to be on the top floor and you definitely don't want to be working near the CEO.

She's a liar. She doesn't care about work-life balance. She doesn't care about your time. She doesn't care about staff. Within one year at least 35 people came and left and it hasn't stopped. She's still firing people and people are still quitting. Some employees – more... quit with no job in the works just to regain their sanity. And let me tell you, there is life after TEFCU.

IF YOU ARE IN HUMAN RESOURCES, WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!! You'll always be interviewing, going to court to attempt at denying someone unemployment benefits, hearing from unhappy staff, writing blown-out-of-proportion termination letters, and reading tons of resumes. Being late once or twice will mean excessive tardiness. And leaving "on time" is out of the question. You leave when "massa" says you leave..If you write anything, be ready to draft it several more times. The CEO is never pleased. One HR person just left and never came back, it was so bad.

The CEO has the Board wrapped around her fingers. She makes money while everyone suffers. And she's always at work from the crack of dawn to the crack of dawn. If she could do it and get away with paying everyone a meager salary, TEFCU would be a 24 hour shop. If you work at TEFCU, you will work harder than you ever have. Pay feels like it's better but compute the hours you work and you're making the same as your counterparts.

TEFCU is going to be run into the ground, so if you get a call from them, make sure to deny an interview. The only thing I learned from this place is that I should have trusted my gut and denied the offer of employment or left in the beginning. If you stay for more than a year and you're not a MSR, you're doing better than the norm. Most people will quit if they don't get fired first.

The only branch manager is like the CEO. She'll say or do whatever it takes to keep her job. Stay away from her and don't tell her anything. She'll report it back to the CEO. If you're already there, they're looking at your resume online to see if you're looking so be consistent. They're always trying to find out dirt about you. They care too much about feelings and can't be objective. The atmosphere is hostile and cutthroat.

Don't think you're irreplaceable. There's a employee list. You might as well throw it in the trash. It's always changing. Nearly a dozen HR staff, several Accounting Managers, and at at least half a dozen Executive Assistants to the CEO have quit or been fired. They all had one thing in common: they worked closely with the CEO. – less
The worst employer in the United States
ex-employee (Former Employee), washington dcDecember 12, 2012
Cons: everything
The turnover is unreal. The CEO has no people skills, treating others with a hostile atmosphere. She fires people daily in order to save money since the Credit Union pays her a salary that is consistent with a CEO of a Billion Dollar Credit Union. She required the staff perform actions that were uneithical and illegal in order to make money for the Credit Union and then fired them when they would not do it. Second in command, now that is a story in itself, just ask the two Credit Unions she worked at before being hired at TEFCU! The Board is a joke, they don't care what happens at TEFCU as long as they are on the Board.
The worst employer ever
none (Former Employee), DCNovember 21, 2012
Cons: working there
The Ceo is the worst person in the world. I don't know how she sleeps at night, knowing that she treats her employee's like they're nothing. She treats everyone like they're just one of many and can be replaced at any time. I know she makes a great salary, but she doesn't want to give her employees nothing. She doesn't know how to talk to adults. She talks to you like you're a child. She's never satisfied, she always find something wrong with your work. I hope a house falls on her.
WORST PLACE TO WORK
n/a (Current Employee), n/aOctober 20, 2012
Pros: nice facilities, ability for advancement
Cons: terrible management, no job security, no training
I use to work for TEFCU, and it is simply not a good place to work. You will always walk on eggshells, and never feel comfortable with your job. I think a company should push the employees to do a good job but TEFCU pushed its staff off a cliff.

You will not get trained, you basically learn on a trial and error type system. Management is terrible and are not real managers. The CEO is the person that makes all decisions and even if its a bad decision their is no one to contest. TEFCU expects you to work all your life and not give any raises worth the amount of work that you do. There is not career opportunities at TEFCU, simply because job security is nonexistent .

The CEO is running a business like a jail. The branch manager does not work and just tells the CEO about every mistake made. The board of directors do not oversee decisions made by the CEO as they should. TEFCU has fired or made so many people quit, and are really effecting peoples lively hood in these tough economic times.
DO NOT APPLY OR WORK HERE!
MSR (Former Employee), Washington DCAugust 30, 2012
Pros: has the potential to be a great place to work
Cons: ceo...get rid of her and it would be a great place to work.
CEO runs the company with "cult like" tendencies. She will not allow you to talk, go out to lunch, or wants you to communicate outside of the workplace with your co-workers. She expects that you work 12 hours a day like her and if you leave early she will fire you. You are being called to her office and awaiting to be scolded. She is very arrogant and distance. She always says she is tough but fair but she is not in the right frame of mind. Don't waste your time.
Thoughts of TEFCU
NA (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 27, 2012
Pros: small company easy to advance
Cons: over worked
I worked for TEFCU for a couple of years. As any work place you start with a great attitude looking forward to succeeding within the company. However, over time I realize working for TEFCU was not going to be any easy challenge. The CEO of the credit union has a horrible way of treating employees and the manager are not any better. I couldn't even explain the work culture because it's that bad. The years I was there I never once felt I had job security. HR reports directly to the CEO therefore, anything you share with HR will be shared with the CEO. I would never recommend this place for employeement.
The worst place ever to work
Current Employee (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 9, 2012
If you are looking for a nice and peaceful place to work, this is not the place. The turnover rate is ridiculious. The management team is a joke, so is HR. The HR department is not for the employees. New Employees that work there last 6 months to a year. The CEO is a monster. No one could work for her she is never satisfied. She has been through 6 EA since she a 2 year period of time. TEFCU is a very hostile and stressfull envoirnment to work in.