TEFCU Employee Reviews

N/a
Consumer Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2016
TEFCU is good enough just to be a stepping stone. You need a do-it-yourself attitude and must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, in order to survive. You can easily be promoted / transferred throughout the company if you are willing to start as a teller or CSR.

Even though people are able to move through the company quickly, people tend be promoted before they are ready which leaves them set up for failure.

Benefits are not competitive at all. Management is always ill-prepared or not knowledgeable. No work-life balance. Micromanagement. Company seems to run off of emotions instead of logic and common sense. They pay more than other banks and credit unions but, they still experience a high turnover.
Don't Do It
Administration (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2013
I worked at TEFCU for about 8 months. I am a positive person so I will say this. If you can stand constant criticism, back biting, excessively long hours, unrealistic expectations, and a job well done without reward, this is the place for you.

My main issue here was the lack of care or concern for my family life and the lack of trust in my ability to own my position. I'm a professional and it amazes me how folks with a "position" think they can do your job better, instead of trusting the professional they hired. This is a micro-managing atmosphere and you are under constant scrutiny. Not observance. They are LOOKING for mistakes. You could miss a period on a sentence and get a tongue lashing. You can do something with the BEST of intentions and if it is off by a half of a percent or nanoparticle, you get suspended. It is crazy. You stand up for yourself, you get fired. You stand up for someone else, you get fired. You get blamed for mistakes made on work you didn't even DO. I'm not kidding, it is THAT BAD!

If you value your career/profession, don't come here. She looks for ways to bring you down which can lead to a bad reputation in your industry. If you weigh your salary with the hours you work, you will be getting paid pennies. I HATE that I ever came here to work but I met some awesome people and I am grateful for that.
Pros
None.
Waste of Time
Administration (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2013
I used to work for TEFCU. I came thinking I'd be getting better pay and and wonderful hours. Boy was I wrong!

You come in thinking that your typical workday is 7:45-4:15. But when you start working, you're overwhelmed. Most days were long. You don't want to be on the top floor and you definitely don't want to be working near the CEO.

She's a liar. She doesn't care about work-life balance. She doesn't care about your time. She doesn't care about staff. Within one year at least 35 people came and left and it hasn't stopped. She's still firing people and people are still quitting. Some employees quit with no job in the works just to regain their sanity. And let me tell you, there is life after TEFCU.

IF YOU ARE IN HUMAN RESOURCES, WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!! You'll always be interviewing, going to court to attempt at denying someone unemployment benefits, hearing from unhappy staff, writing blown-out-of-proportion termination letters, and reading tons of resumes. Being late once or twice will mean excessive tardiness. And leaving "on time" is out of the question. You leave when "massa" says you leave..If you write anything, be ready to draft it several more times. The CEO is never pleased. One HR person just left and never came back, it was so bad.

The CEO has the Board wrapped around her fingers. She makes money while everyone suffers. And she's always at work from the crack of dawn to the crack of dawn. If she could do it and get away with paying everyone a meager salary, TEFCU would be a 24 hour shop. If you work at TEFCU, you will work harder than you ever have. Pay feels like
  more... it's better but compute the hours you work and you're making the same as your counterparts.

TEFCU is going to be run into the ground, so if you get a call from them, make sure to deny an interview. The only thing I learned from this place is that I should have trusted my gut and denied the offer of employment or left in the beginning. If you stay for more than a year and you're not a MSR, you're doing better than the norm. Most people will quit if they don't get fired first.

The only branch manager is like the CEO. She'll say or do whatever it takes to keep her job. Stay away from her and don't tell her anything. She'll report it back to the CEO. If you're already there, they're looking at your resume online to see if you're looking so be consistent. They're always trying to find out dirt about you. They care too much about feelings and can't be objective. The atmosphere is hostile and cutthroat.

Don't think you're irreplaceable. There's a employee list. You might as well throw it in the trash. It's always changing. Nearly a dozen HR staff, several Accounting Managers, and at at least half a dozen Executive Assistants to the CEO have quit or been fired. They all had one thing in common: they worked closely with the CEO.
Pros
401k, cool employees
Cons
no work-life balance, long hours, psychotic management, not enough checks and balances
The worst employer in the United States
ex-employee (Former Employee) –  washington dcDecember 12, 2012
The turnover is unreal. The CEO has no people skills, treating others with a hostile atmosphere. She fires people daily in order to save money since the Credit Union pays her a salary that is consistent with a CEO of a Billion Dollar Credit Union. She required the staff perform actions that were uneithical and illegal in order to make money for the Credit Union and then fired them when they would not do it. Second in command, now that is a story in itself, just ask the two Credit Unions she worked at before being hired at TEFCU! The Board is a joke, they don't care what happens at TEFCU as long as they are on the Board.
Cons
everything
The worst employer ever
none (Former Employee) –  DCNovember 21, 2012
The Ceo is the worst person in the world. I don't know how she sleeps at night, knowing that she treats her employee's like they're nothing. She treats everyone like they're just one of many and can be replaced at any time. I know she makes a great salary, but she doesn't want to give her employees nothing. She doesn't know how to talk to adults. She talks to you like you're a child. She's never satisfied, she always find something wrong with your work. I hope a house falls on her.
Cons
working there
Do not apply or work here!
MSR (Former Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 30, 2012
CEO runs the company with "cult like" tendencies. She will not allow you to talk, go out to lunch, or wants you to communicate outside of the workplace with your co-workers. She expects that you work 12 hours a day like her and if you leave early she will fire you. You are being called to her office and awaiting to be scolded. She is very arrogant and distance. She always says she is tough but fair but she is not in the right frame of mind. Don't waste your time.
Pros
has the potential to be a great place to work
Cons
ceo...get rid of her and it would be a great place to work.
Thoughts of TEFCU
NA (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2012
I worked for TEFCU for a couple of years. As any work place you start with a great attitude looking forward to succeeding within the company. However, over time I realize working for TEFCU was not going to be any easy challenge. The CEO of the credit union has a horrible way of treating employees and the manager are not any better. I couldn't even explain the work culture because it's that bad. The years I was there I never once felt I had job security. HR reports directly to the CEO therefore, anything you share with HR will be shared with the CEO. I would never recommend this place for employeement.
Pros
small company easy to advance
Cons
over worked
The worst place ever to work
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2012
If you are looking for a nice and peaceful place to work, this is not the place. The turnover rate is ridiculious. The management team is a joke, so is HR. The HR department is not for the employees. New Employees that work there last 6 months to a year. The CEO is a monster. No one could work for her she is never satisfied. She has been through 6 EA since she a 2 year period of time. TEFCU is a very hostile and stressfull envoirnment to work in.