Ten Thousand Villages Employee Reviews

I love the store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 8, 2017
I believe to work here, one must be a volunteer. The only reason I was paid was because it was through a work-study program at my university. So technically, Ten Thousand Villages did not pay me, my university did. But I absolutely adore this store. Its value and the meaning behind everything is great. I love all the hand-made things, I think they're very cool. The other people that work there are also amazing. It might be a little slow from time to time, but the overall environment and atmosphere is great.
Constant interaction with amazing people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 4, 2017
Great mission to fair trade and spreading awareness, beautiful items, passionate coworkers and customers. This is a wonderful place to work, but beware the pay is low (if any). Most of the folks working there are actually volunteers for the cause!
Ten Thousand Villages
E-Commerce Line Cordinator (Former Employee) –  Akron, PAApril 28, 2017
Ten Thousand Villages was good place to work.They treated employees very respectfully. I really enjoyed the work I did. learn
about Ten Thousand Villages and how they work with Third World. I worked with a good team work group. Can't say the job was hard, it has it's difficult times when learning a new process that your supervisor does not understand before training.
Pros
The benefits, earned vacation time
Cons
Not be able to do the job you know so well without having to explain your every move.
Rewarding Company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MAApril 19, 2017
If you are a charitable person who feels rewards when helping others in need, TTV is the store to work. Learning about other cultures and helping women around the world to survive is a rewarding experience. It's a very laid back company, with no attachment to the retail life at all, except the commitment of providing good customer service, honest customer service.
The pay is very low, NOT AT ALL COMPETITIVE with any company.
The personal growth is very limited, if you are a woman you would have better chances here to grow, you do not need to know much but rub shoulders with the corporate office.
Pros
the learning experience
Cons
very low pay, no future growth
Work place with a wonderful mission
Sales Associate and Currant Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 7, 2017
Whereas the work place culture is good - and I was lucky to have a great team - it is often hard to deal with customers who do not appreciate our goods
Pros
supporting the poorest in the world, health benefits, retirement
Cons
salary, hardly any chance to rise within the company
General review
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 23, 2017
Great place to work at. Very friendly, meaningful and fun culture. You might get to travel and meet the artisans who created products. Recommend to join the company if you are looking for a meaningful career.
People oriented culture, poorly managed with low pay.
Warehouse Director (Former Employee) –  Ephrata, PAFebruary 24, 2017
People oriented culture, poorly managed with low pay. Poor planning, leadership, training, and execution from many areas throughout the organization.
Focused on empowering disadvantaged communities
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 22, 2017
It was a great place to learn about communities from around the globe that are working to end poverty. I enjoyed explaining our products to new customers that came through the store.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Small remuneration
Meaningful mission and vision.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ephrata, PAFebruary 16, 2017
Great work culture. Managers are allowed to run their building. Wonderful mission and pleasant culture. Great benefits with ok compensation.
Pros
Great medical benefits.
Cons
Lack of job security.
exciting place for craft lover
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 9, 2017
I worked as a volunteer there and it is something unique about this company. They have a lot of interesting products and the concept is nice, which is helping out the developing country's people.
Too much trouble
District Sales Manager, District (Current Employee) –  Akron, PAJanuary 26, 2017
Company is in trouble. It has a very good mission but is not following it for those in the stores. Manager's are always asked to do more for very little money. They even ask their manager's to wash towels to keep from spending money on paper towels.
unstable working environment
Staff (Former Employee) –  Akron, PAOctober 7, 2016
The mission is great but the company has stepped away from the mission. Corporate office is very incompetent, mostly because they re not educated or trained in the department they work in. They fear that someone knew might take their job so they make it impossible for new faces to go forward.
They come up with ideas last minute and the management personnel are always indecisive about everything.
The product has been wonderful with quality it has changed over the years dramatically.
Pros
the mission
Cons
Lack of opportunity, salary, treatment by management, I have seen staff being treated very harshly by management
Great company
Sales Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Akron, PASeptember 26, 2016
Enjoy working there. Company is mission based and nonprofit. Great people and caring working environment. Good work life balance and flexible schedules.
Ten Thousands villages is a fun store with a diverse crew.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 25, 2016
Ten Thousands Villages is a great store to be a part of . It is a fair trade store which helps people around the world. I am proud to be a part .
Company with a heart brings the best out of staff
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 19, 2016
I have the good fortune to manage a store that brings out the best in staff and customers. Though fair trade buying practices, Ten Thousand Villages breaks away from other retailers by providing over 160 groups in 34 developing countries with consistent purchases at fair prices. As a non-profit organization, Ten Thousand Villages is a respected leader in the Fair Trade national and global movement.

My typical day involves interacting with customers and selling merchandise through the beauty of handcraft and the stories of the people who make them. Staffing and training staff is an ongoing process. Meeting daily, weekly and annual budgets for sales and operations while managing merchandise and shipments keeps the days varied and dynamic.

Keeping up with sales events and organizing special in store events adds a level of creativity and engagement other retails seldom expect from their managers. I enjoy working autonomously as well as with a team of devoted staff and volunteers.
Great Working Enviroment
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Intercourse, PAMarch 18, 2016
Such a great company to work for and we help artisans in developing countries. My confidence has grown so much with working for the company because the managers really want you to succeed and make the best out of your time with the company.
Fun workplace
MARKETING, SALES AND FINANCE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Great people, Great Environment, Relaxed Work Environment, and Great cause. The management and staff were great. The customers were also very nice and aware of the cause.
Great social skills
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COSeptember 14, 2015
During the time I worked for the company (A&F) I was able to use my strong suits to do the best job possible. While all companies have some issues; Abercrombie did not seem to have that issue.
Enjoyable enviroment to work in
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Media, PAAugust 12, 2015
By far this is my most favorite place to work at. Our management team and co-workers are a pleasure to work with. They are all very helpful and are very supportive and understanding. The management makes sure that we are happy and that each and every one of us grows within the company. It also has become a very positive environment to work in and I truly enjoy going to work.
Pros
Positive enviroment
Cons
Wish we could have more hours
Lead Volunteer Managing Nonprofit Store
Lead Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2015
As one of the biggest non-profits in the world Ten Thousand Villages does tremendous work for underprivileged people all over the world. It is an excellent company to volunteer for. Typo cal day is store management as well as people supervision. All the volunteers are dedicated and work hard to help those who cannot help themselves.
Pros
Excellent people and customers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ten Thousand Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2