Ten Thousand Villages

Ten Thousand Villages Employer Reviews

Fun place to volunteer
Retail, Volunteer (Former Employee), Lawrence, KSDecember 29, 2014
I was volunteering at a store that was giving back to the world. They find artists in all the underdeveloped parts of the world and partner with them to buy their wares. Those wares were brought to the US and sold. Run by volunteers, all the money goes back into the company to keep paying the artists.
Great place to work with a wonderful mission
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Tallahassee fl.June 26, 2014
This is a great place to work selling items made from all around the world. Volunteers are fabulous to work with. Telling the mission and sharing with new people is the best.
Summer Internship
Merchandising and Marketing Intern (Former Employee), Cleveland Hts, OHMay 30, 2014
• Assisted Managers in the construction of visuals and executing floor sets.
• Created original and unique point-of-sales merchandise displays.
• Organized and participated in community outreach programs for Ten Thousand Villages.
• Extended client to company relations.
• Gained knowledge on the buying process for each season.
Great organization and great cause
Volunteer Social Media Marketing Team Member (Former Employee), Panama City, FLApril 23, 2014
Ten Thousand Villages in Tallahassee is a fair trade company. The organization works for a great cause. Me and two other students were given the task to put together a social media marketing plan. The hardest part would probably have to be the contact issues because of differing schedules for managers and distance. I really enjoyed working with others to formulate this plan.
Best job EVER!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 12, 2013
I learned so much while working at Ten Thousand Villages, I could not have asked for a better opportunity. I learned all aspects of retail needed to start my career path through retail and am very thankful. I learned everything from operating the till to visual merchandising. But what I got the most out of working with Ten Thousand Villages was their deep understanding for Fair Trade and Non- Profit Organizations, it was very eye opening and heart warming.
Exciting Non-Profit
Volunteer/Retail (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 27, 2013
Pros: fun, educational, exciting, nice breaks
This store is a non-profit that sells household and gift items that are made by artisans around the world. On a typical day, they will teach people about the items in the store and about who made them. This helps people to appreciate the hard work that people in 3rd world countries put into all the items that we sell for them in the store. The store is staffed mostly by volunteers with at least 2 paid employees there at all times. The hardest part of the job is keeping an eye on the items we have for sale as there have been many thefts in the store, right in front of the staff. Thankfully, the thief has been apprehended and banned from the store for life, as have his friends. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see things that people worked so hard to make without using the tools we have at our disposal.
Open-Minded and worldly.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Albany, NYJuly 26, 2013
Pros: advocating for fair trade. constantely learning.
Cons: the manager.
I got to advocate for Fair Trade and educate customers about it while selling beautiful items at prices that truly compensated the artisans who created them.
Retail
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 2, 2013
A great place to work with good people where you sell a product that helps other people from around the world
Friendly environment with a great cause to work for
Volunteer (Current Employee), Marietta, GAMay 17, 2012
Pros: friendly management and co-workers, quaint yet fun atmosphere, great cause
I handle the shipment and inventory of new or replenished handicrafts in the store. I also inform customers about the mission of Ten Thousand Villages and assist them in any possible way. As a volunteer, I have learned that I enjoy promoting the value of fair trade through this organization. In addition, I am satisfied with my co-workers and manager. I believe that the hardest part of the job is keeping track of the stories behind the new products, yet that is also the most interesting aspect of the job--learning the history behind the hand-made picture frames, jewelry, dishes, and so forth.
Great place to work for. Employee value is high in regards to the overall feeling you get from management.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Brownstown, PAApril 27, 2012
A one of a kind place to work for. One of my favorite jobs ever. Family oriented feeling among co workers.
Wonderful mission, wonderful work
Marketing Coordinator/Asst. Manager (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 10, 2012
Pros: supporting a good cause, being surrounded by quality people, exposure to the the plight of developing countries, seeing the new handicrafts created each month
"Ten Thousand Villages' mission is to create opportunities for artisans in developing countries to earn income by bringing their products and stories to our markets through long-term fair trading relationships."

I'm proud to have been able to contribute to this organization that is promoting empowerment and creating a place for people to help themselves.
Positive Mission and culture
Volunteer Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEApril 1, 2012
Pros: positive workplace, discounts, and helping families
Ten Thousand Villages is a fair-trade, non-profit organization that strives to provide employment and stability to artisans all over the world in developing countries. What is great about Ten Thousand Villages is working/volunteering for a company with strong ties to the community and strong social responsibility. Ten Thousand Villages has advancement opportunities, a positive and inviting store environment, employee discounts, flexible work schedules, and encourages employees to learn and grow.
Great place to get educated about different parts of the world.
Sales volunteer. (Former Employee), Cambridge, Mass.September 3, 2011
Pros: working there at christmas.
Cons: standing on my feet.
I enjoyed the interaction of people who came to purchase items that were handcrafted and I felt each item could tell a story all of it's own.
Chilled environment
Volunteer Sales Associate (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 24, 2014
Pros: free coffee and tea
A typical day at work includes ringing customers in and letting all those who are new about the mission of Ten Thousand Villages. Most of the time people are buying gifts so you may have to wrap and make the gift look presentable.
Sweeping, making sure the environment is clean and visually appealing are part of the day as well. All in all everyone is always warm and welcoming the environment is fulfilling and the ambiance is relaxing.
This is a place that mostly only takes volunteers so be wary of that.
The volunteers were such a great part of how the store was run.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 31, 2012
Pros: i had the opportunity to sell the products at festivals, outside of the store.
Cons: store hours
A typical day was filled with many projects. I took care of emails coming in and opening the store to the customers. Customer service was our main focus.
I learned a lot about Fair Trade. I was completely inspired by the artisans work, all done by hand. We were there to help the developing countries. It was an amazing experience to be apart of.
My manager was always there to support us on the floor. Great attitude. Very smart woman.
My co-workers were all volunteers. They were amazing to work with. Everyday was a new day. I helped them to learn about the products and the countries where the artisan were from. Teaching them our mission. They also taught me quite a bit as well about the counrties where they were from. Our store was very multicultural which I enjoyed.
They hardest part of the job was putting the schedule together. Being that everybody was a volunteer. It was sometimes difficult to fill shifts becuase they had other jobs as well. All the shifts were filled with patience and help from others, including myself.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the sales. I enjoyed helping people to buy. It was Fair Trade products. So the feeling of helping so many people in one sale felt amazing. The customer, the story of the artisan and the country. I enjoyed selling the coffee and chocolate. To support Fair Trade is so important for the future.