Tennessee State University Employee Reviews

Professional workplace; Student Support.
Coordinator/Student Liaison (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 20, 2017
Professional workplace in college environment. Provide Student Support for all students. Love helping student graduate and achieve their educational goals. Coordinate and manage Online Degree Program.
It's an o.k place to work.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37209October 10, 2017
its an ok place to work, the pace is steady with plenty of work to keep anyone busy, the pay is decent and the benefits are great, there are plenty of ways to improve the campus electrically.
Tennessee State Athletics
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 9, 2017
Tennessee State University is a Historically Black College & University the is located in Nashville, TN. Great opportunity to gain experience working within the Ohio Valley Conference in the sport of basketball.
Pros
Conference
Cons
Facilities, Budget
Great place to work for recent graduates
Research Technician I (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 26, 2017
It was a great place to work right after my graduation from college. I was in charge of literature review for the project that we worked as a team on: "A Survey of Immigrant Entrepreneurs in Middle Tennessee".
comfortable yet competitive place to work
Research Assistant (Traffic Safety) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 19, 2017
A perfect fit for learning and career advancement. While role may seem a herculean task at first, the leaning culture and team spirit makes you overcome and enjoy your everyday job
Productive but stressful
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  3500 John A Merritt BlvdSeptember 15, 2017
TSU is good place to work, a lot of nepotism that goes on. The job was easy, but no adequate training. Customer service in poor, inadequate parking and lack of security.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of training
Most enjoyable part of the job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 1, 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job for me is being able to help the students reach their educational goals. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help students obtain the finances needed to continue their educational goals.
Pros
working with students
Cons
state job - low pay
Police Department
Law enforcement officer (Former Employee) –  TennesseeAugust 27, 2017
Great university to work for with state benefits. You will work with students and staff. Overall department needs more man power and great officers to lead.
Not paid on equal level of counterparts
Coordinator, Identification and Access Control (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37209August 22, 2017
But required to work extended hours. Was required to attend several functions outside of the normal working period and not compensated nor time flexed, properly. I had a family illness and was removed from my position due to too many absences, while using FMLA.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 15, 2017
Working at Tennessee State University as a research assistance helped me develop my research abilities. It exposed me to various areas of research and gave me the opportunity to work with highly intelligent and dedicated team.
enjoyable place to work and attend school
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 15, 2017
I enjoyed working at my college while working in schoool i got paid to work where i attending school so it was great ... well enjoyable Im a proud alumni as of now..
Pros
I graduated and worked at the same place
Cons
a contract is signed
Great experience and friendly environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 14, 2017
An inviting environment with excellent supervision. The staff is very supportive of the students. Healthy discourse was encouraged and students were challenged to hone his/ her skills.
awesome
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 12, 2017
this is a great school and place to work very family centered place. theres not to much i can say that isnt positive. i loved my years there as well as the students
University Support
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 7, 2017
TSU provided me with many opportunities to excel as a student. I am not confident that my skills were put to use in the most efficient way. However working with students at the University was a rewarding experience.
Pros
Student
Cons
Resources
Hard job but good benefits
Coordinator of Clinics (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 6, 2017
I have mostly enjoyed my time at Tennessee State University. Employment in education is difficult and very time consuming. It can be rewarding, but the job is made more difficult if you do not have support from upper administration.
Big yet close knit school
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 3, 2017
Working at TSU is pretty good. We have Fridays off. Working as student at the university gets me a reduced tuition. Normally being a student and working is difficult to balance but at TSU it's pretty easy to keep it balanced.
Great city
Masters Level Researcher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 26, 2017
Awesome people. Nice place to work. Great experience. Nice structure. I enjoyed working knowing I was making a difference for agricultural landowners. This is ideal for interns
Pros
Downtown Nashville
Job security and advancement
Research Associate/GIS Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 19, 2017
For support staff and non-faculty members, there are no clear paths to advancement. Most positions are basically stagnant. Staff member without terminal Degrees assigned into roles that do not leverage their expertise and passion.
Lab tech
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 18, 2017
Working for the HIM department at Tennessee state university was an experience i will always cherish. the students were a hand full at times, but the diversity is priceless
Slow pace however, I enjoyed working with my Vice President Dr. Mark Hardy
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 17, 2017
It was exciting to network with different cultures & a strong supported staff. However, maintaining a dialogue was somewhat challenging at time due to different ethnic background.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Excited to meet different & diverse group of people.