Tennessee State University Employee Reviews

Love working with Students
DENTAL HYGIENE CLINICAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 21, 2016
I love working with students, however, some of the older faculty feel as though they have to be nasty to the students. I feel that a warmer more open learning environment will help the students succeed.
Pros
Time off between semesters
Cons
No benefits.
Work environment definitely prepares you for the real world
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNSeptember 16, 2016
Fast paced and sometimes stress environment ( due to the fact that my first semester i was over an entire floor by myself). However, after about 2 weeks i got the hang of it. Coworkers were extremely friendly and loved to hang out.
Pros
Rotating shifts, can switch with other's as long as shift was covered, provided lots of life changing experiences and skills
Cons
Job is literally 24/7 so on call every day even on off days, 300 month ( budget wisely! )
summer job
Carpentry Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 12, 2016
This was a summer job. I learned a lot in the field. I but things, put together things and learned a new skill that I will use a lifetime
Tsu
Childcare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Trenton, TNAugust 9, 2016
I like the idea of the early head start program. The system of the program was based on who you know and not job performs. I think that the program would have been better with the right people running the program
lab assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 26, 2016
During my undergrad career I had the opportunity to work in two labs. I learned sanitation methods, safety rules, bioremediation, bacteria streaking methods, and more. The professors were always helpful and took the time to explain everything in detail. I did presentations and traveled to different conferences to present our findings. I assisted a graduate student with her thesis work and took care to keep the lab organized and clean.
Great place to learn and work.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 22, 2016
The Tennessee State University culture is one of exposure.
The faculty and staff were extremely inviting and always willing to offer counsel.
In the position of the research assistant, many hats and positions were worn in hopes of giving students experience and exposure to industry need. This was also a forum for the team and cultural practise building.
Pros
Exposure to new technology and expert staff
Cons
Short breaks, long work days.
Productive and professional work environment
Finance and Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 19, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed engaging with students and assisting with them with any questions or concerns they may have had in regards to registration for school.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Sometimes there was lack of team work
Decent place to work
Operations (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 19, 2016
Not a bad place to work, difficult to operate due to crazy work hours by different departments, and weird summer work schedule. Pay is good but the work requires longer than average hours away from home.

Management is difficult as every request has to go through five different steps of approval with no sense of accomplishing things in a timely manner.

Co-workers are what makes the job bearable. They are in the same boat as you and feel your pain as well.

Hardest part of the job is trying to do the job right but cannot accomplish the task due to people not being at work on Fridays due to the summer work schedule/crazy work hours.

Going home at the end of the day is the only enjoyment of this job.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Bad neighborhood, bad summer work schedule
Fun working environment.
Resident Hall Director (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 4, 2016
Working in a diverse environment that is fun and enjoyable and being able to share my experiences. I am also able to manage student workers and an Assistant Director where we are able to share ideas for the betterment of the students that reside in the Resident hall. Being on-call 24/7 is the most challenging part of my experience in the University.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
Being on call 24/7
Experience was helpful, but faced some obsticals from Management
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNJune 29, 2016
Had several job responsibilities with this job. I enjoy working with co-workers and learning new operational procedures
Pros
Access to Company vehicle, Seminars and meeting other people
Cons
Location of office and lack of more advance technology
Fun workplace
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 5, 2016
Work is easy and mostly fun. It is fun because, I love my job and I love what I do. I have learned a lot of things especially working with different people mostly about the campus and all of opportunities. My manager is awesome she always works hard, and my co workers are cool I mostly help and show the new people what to do. The hardest part of my job is getting people stuck out of the elevator in the dorm. The most enjoyable part of my job is just working I general and working with my co workers.
Pros
Have our own cafeteria
Cons
bad pest
awesome
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 3, 2016
I got the job during my senior year and really enjoy the professor i work. The lab has great atmosphere and good place to go to school and work.
Pros
Great place to learn lot.
Cons
pay could be better.
Its a cool place to work wonderful people
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 23, 2016
very hard working people
a pretty laid back job
you will meet a lot of people from everywhere
I enjoyed this job working hand and hand with the student to help better the future
Education
Graduate Admissions Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 13, 2016
Tennessee State was a great place to work. I had the pleasure of seeing students reach their goals. TSU is part of the state so they do have good employee perks. Enjoyed working at TSU.
Employs some of the best Science Professors around
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 11, 2016
The science department has some of the most caring and motivated professors. They work hard to push the students to their fullest capacity.
Review
Administrative Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 10, 2016
This is a great school to attend. I liked it you will love it. Small classes and one on one attention from professors. They are very welcoming. I would recommend this school for students to attend.
Lab Assistant
IT Dept. Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 9, 2016
Work was fun and exciting. Helped students to achieve academia goals as well as technical support with pcs and printing.
great place
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNApril 29, 2016
awesome place to work. Love the staff and coworkers. very friendly place to work. Students are exceptional and kind. really challange you to stay on your toes.
Small Job
Mathematic Research Participant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 29, 2016
I was only given a small, one month research position. They offered a decent stipend and provided room and board. I would definitely recommend working there for other summer endeavors.
Great school for training
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 25, 2016
Its an excellent center to learn all about agriculture and research. The scientist there are extremely patient and passionate about thier research.

4.2