Tennessee State University Employee Reviews

TSU is Opportunity
TV Host and Producer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 14, 2017
Our instructor was very thorough in pre production, post production, and our coordinating shows.
Each person was properly trained on cameras, sound board, producing and script writing.
Each person also trained as Tech Director, Television Host, Screenwriting and Floor directing
Tsu
ADMINSTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 8, 2017
Loved it, Great People. Great place to work, and give great raises. My boss is very understanding, he cooks for the whole office sometimes, or take us all out lunch. Love to interact with the students, and answer phone calls to help others.
Nice, relaxed atmosphere and peaceful
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2017
Good environment to learn and grow, supportive faculty who take interest in students growth beyond the academic scene. Paper work and administration needs a little work, grossly under staffed and inefficient in that department.
Pros
Good location (not far from downtown)
Gave me everything
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 31, 2017
TSU is everything to me.
It gave me the opportunity to be what I am today.
I won't trade my memories of TSU for anything else in life.
It has been great so far.
The overall rating review of employment for each job was wonderful.
Instructor & Clinical Director of Respiratory Care (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 13, 2017
The typical day and most enjoyable part of any job I have worked involve completing goals set in a reasonable time frame to keep the business day successful while collaboratively working with others of various backgrounds.
Daily Activities at TSU
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 11, 2017
The typical days activities went by whatever the theme of the week was. While in the classrooms I learned about different forms of assessments as well as a new way to do lesson plans. The hard part was sometimes dealing with the management because they are accustom to their ways they did not welcome new ways of teaching. The most enjoyable part was the children and how I saw them grasp onto information.
It was work study
Workout Class Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 5, 2017
It was very easy because it was work study. All we had to do was check the areas come back and study. Thats it. You got to use the gym on duty if someone else worked with you
interesting job with new task everyday
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, TNJanuary 3, 2017
Assist people with studying nursery plants. New task almost every day. Usually is an outside job with good amounts of physical labor.
Pros
hour lunch decent pay
Cons
little chance to no chance of advancement without degree. no benefits
Research Assistant, Nashville, TN
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 22, 2016
The typical work day included studying environmental samples in the lab.

Management is always the driving force. Good co-workers always make things easier. The hardest part of the job is make sure that things are moving in a positive direction.
The most enjoyable part of a job is to enjoy what one is doing and helping others at the same time.
Fun Place to Work
Graduate Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 11, 2016
Working in an academic setting is very fun; it allows you to meet and network with so many people from different walks of life and is a great opportunity to build your own resume and academic profile.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Not a lot of work to do sometimes.
Productive work environment
Administration (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 29, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see the students progress, grow, and develop into leaders. The hardest part is seeing students leave because of their inability to obtain the financial support to stay.
Very chill enviroment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 7, 2016
I had this job my freshman year of college for work study, I loved my supervisor. Super easy job, very calm atmosphere. My job was to answer phone calls, pick up mail, file papers and run other errands as needed.
Pros
It was on campus
Love working with Students
DENTAL HYGIENE CLINICAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 21, 2016
I love working with students, however, some of the older faculty feel as though they have to be nasty to the students. I feel that a warmer more open learning environment will help the students succeed.
Pros
Time off between semesters
Cons
No benefits.
Work environment definitely prepares you for the real world
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNSeptember 16, 2016
Fast paced and sometimes stress environment ( due to the fact that my first semester i was over an entire floor by myself). However, after about 2 weeks i got the hang of it. Coworkers were extremely friendly and loved to hang out.
Pros
Rotating shifts, can switch with other's as long as shift was covered, provided lots of life changing experiences and skills
Cons
Job is literally 24/7 so on call every day even on off days, 300 month ( budget wisely! )
summer job
Carpentry Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 12, 2016
This was a summer job. I learned a lot in the field. I but things, put together things and learned a new skill that I will use a lifetime
Tsu
Childcare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Trenton, TNAugust 9, 2016
I like the idea of the early head start program. The system of the program was based on who you know and not job performs. I think that the program would have been better with the right people running the program
lab assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 26, 2016
During my undergrad career I had the opportunity to work in two labs. I learned sanitation methods, safety rules, bioremediation, bacteria streaking methods, and more. The professors were always helpful and took the time to explain everything in detail. I did presentations and traveled to different conferences to present our findings. I assisted a graduate student with her thesis work and took care to keep the lab organized and clean.
Great place to learn and work.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 22, 2016
The Tennessee State University culture is one of exposure.
The faculty and staff were extremely inviting and always willing to offer counsel.
In the position of the research assistant, many hats and positions were worn in hopes of giving students experience and exposure to industry need. This was also a forum for the team and cultural practise building.
Pros
Exposure to new technology and expert staff
Cons
Short breaks, long work days.
Productive and professional work environment
Finance and Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 19, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed engaging with students and assisting with them with any questions or concerns they may have had in regards to registration for school.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Sometimes there was lack of team work
Decent place to work
Operations (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 19, 2016
Not a bad place to work, difficult to operate due to crazy work hours by different departments, and weird summer work schedule. Pay is good but the work requires longer than average hours away from home.

Management is difficult as every request has to go through five different steps of approval with no sense of accomplishing things in a timely manner.

Co-workers are what makes the job bearable. They are in the same boat as you and feel your pain as well.

Hardest part of the job is trying to do the job right but cannot accomplish the task due to people not being at work on Fridays due to the summer work schedule/crazy work hours.

Going home at the end of the day is the only enjoyment of this job.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Bad neighborhood, bad summer work schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tennessee State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2