Tennessee State University

Tennessee State University Employer Reviews

stagnant company
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 4, 2013
Cons: to much nepotism
I taught myself and made my classes better for students with no guidance
Very Good working enviorment
Assistant Secretary (Current Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: the benfits
Cons: the pay
It is a sheer joy to come to work for Tennessee State University. It is a pleasent working envoirment.
nice place to work
Administrative Assistant/ Resident Mentor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 1, 2013
Understanding because the position was with school.
Flexible and lots of responsibility.
Greatest learning experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 25, 2013
My time at Tennessee State University (TSU) as an undergraduate and graduate research assistant was one of the best experiences of my life. I learned so much about the laboratory through hands on experience, formal/informal training, and seminars. There weren't really any easy parts of my experience there, but learning isn't always easy. The long hours, trial and error, model designing, etc were all the hardest but most enjoyable parts of my time at TSU. My co-workers were usually senior research graduate who were always willing to give advice and help when needed.
laid back company easy to work for
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 26, 2013
A typical day at work is arriving on time getting your research completed and being able to leave once your work is complete.
Great working enviroment
Research Intern (Former Employee), nashville tnJuly 18, 2013
The research only lasted about 2 hours tops. We were trying to find out what organism, plant ect worked to alter cancer cells basically what got rid of them. I worked by myself and a couple of days later I would meet up with my teacher to go over the results.
Great Place to Start
FINE ARTS DIRECTOR FOR UPWARD BOUND (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 17, 2013
Pros: opportunity for disadvantaged students
Cons: wish they could help more students
The Upward Bound program is intentionally designed to empower high school students to take a proactive role in their education and excel far beyond their idealized potential.

Upward Bound prepares approximately sixty students (with at least two-thirds low-income and/or first generation college-bound students) in grades nine through twelve, for success through high school in order to enter and graduate from college with a Bachelor's degree.
College
Student Athlete Advisory President (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 29, 2013
Experiences are all beneficial.
Schooling was educational
Programs are accredited
Great place to learn so many new things about the workplace, human resources, special events, and procedures through formal routings.
Graduate Assistant to the Sciences Department (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 27, 2013
Pros: great place to learn a variety of procedures and processes
Cons: the "red tape" of "democracy" sometimes gets in the way of positive progression.
Overall, a good place to work and attend college.
sometimes, organized chaos got in the way of production. Learned a lot about state or government backed organizations and the procedures that go along with that. Overall, my co-workers, professors, and students were great to work with.
TSU Graduate Student and Instructor
Instructor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 7, 2013
My years as a student at Tennessee State University has afforded me great opportunities on the undergraduate and graduate levels. As an undergraduate student I was given the opportunity to work as a teaching assistant. My duties included giving lectures, preparing reagents, and giving tutorial services to students. When I returned to TSU for graduate school I was awarded grants/fellowships and was the primary instructor for a host of chemistry labs. While working on my M.S. I gained a tremendous amount of R&D skills which were utilized in the development of novel precursors to make photovoltaic materials. I worked in collaboration with my mentor's graduate adviser at Vanderbilt University. This gave me the opportunity to have two research labs, one at TSU and another at Vanderbuilt. The synthetic techniques I learned is invaluable to my career as a chemist. I am now able to work in the development of novel materials, improve existing materials, and make synthetic processes more cost efficient.
Great experience and supervisors
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 3, 2013
The one of the best experiences I had in college. The work can be challenging but people and experiences you have can outweigh the negatives
TSU
Records Transfer Analyst (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 15, 2013
Pros: hours
Cons: management, structure
It was a good job for the most part, it helped challenge you to push and do better with customer service and office skills.
My graduate school
Graduate Student Clinician (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 9, 2013
This university is a great place to attend. It taught me the basic knowledge I needed to know to begin my career as an SLP.
Able to go to school
Assistant Director of Operation (Current Employee), Nashville, TN 37208April 24, 2013
Pros: the university will pay for school
Cons: paid
I manager the day to day operations. I have learned more about sustainability and using green products. I use my many years of experience to manager the crew and to complete many of the
daily tasks. We practice team work to make the work easiler and better environment. The job isn't that differult for me, because of the years of experience I have.
Great team work atmosphere
Catering Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 16, 2013
The team work atmosphere here was excellent. Job promotions were few but based off of the right things.
Fast Paced productive retail grocery store
Director of Residence Life and Housing (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 9, 2013
Pros: discounted lunch
Cons: hourly wages
> fun, fast, easy,
> learned how a fast food restuarant works
> management was very cool
> co-workers were fun to work with, helping
> hardest part of job, putting up with complaing customers
> most enjoyable part of day, being able to work with friends
Great organization, if I could, I would go back and do twenty more.
Computer Operator (Retired in2010) (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 24, 2013
Pros: great eduational benefits
Cons: 37.5 workweek
Enjoyed every day. Had a opportuknidty tdo learn about the educaion system and meet knowledable people. I enjoyed the travel and the spirit of the university. The hardestd part of the job was leaving.
Installation
Assistant Project Coordinator, C.A.R.E.S. Project (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: flexible work scheduling
Cons: lack of support at times
A typical day working for the C.A.R.E.S grant was answer the phone, conducting educational sessions, pre/post ops, installation events, or helping install seats.

I learned the laws of Tennessee for carseats and how to properly install carseats. Moreover, I learned how so many people have no clue about the law, how to install a seat, or what questions to ask about the proper carseats.

Management was supportive.

My co-workers was very busy and helpful in my growth with the grant initiative.

Hardest part of the job was supplying everybody who needed our assistance because we were limited to 1500 seats per year.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the smiles of kids faces when they receive a new seat.
INTERVIEW
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 9, 2012
• Created prototype of robot using Solid works CAD software.
• Investigated various robot assembly techniques.
Provided technical assistance to students going through HIM program
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 9, 2012
Great atmosphere dealing with student and staff. Understood the responsibilities associated with my job. room for growth. It has difficult to leave but a had to because the position was part time