Tennessee Valley Authority Employee Reviews

Was productive but not secure
Watershed Information Technician (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALApril 20, 2017
TVA is nice paying job but just not secure from one year to the next. You do have chance for promotion but you will likely to have transfer to Chattanooga or Knoxville.
Pros
Nice Paying
Cons
Unstable
Great benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 4, 2017
The benefits and compensation are exceptional. Some of the management is inspiring and tries to bring the best out in their employees. However, there is so much turmoil and change in this company it is hard to feel secure.
Multi Skill/Multi Tasking is a must!
Specialist, System Operator Training (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 28, 2017
There is a good amount of flexibility with a great group of diverse co-workers. The amount of accrued sick leave and annual leave is great compared to other large companies.
Pros
Accrued leave, Flexibility
Cons
Company instability, Day to day unknowns, Management doesn't encourage personal or career growth.
Who can I make happy today...
IT Infrastructure Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 9, 2017
I really enjoyed working at TVA. I learned a lot in the 5+ years I worked there. The managers I worked for were professional. They were also encouraging in helping me advance in my IT skills.

I believe my most enjoyable part of my job were the customers I dealt with every day. They would be very frustrated that their computers weren't working correctly and also anxiously awaiting for their old computer to be replaced with a new one, which seemed to take longer than they had hoped for. I learned that if you are a good listener, encourager and of course a good troubleshooter, you can at least make them feel better for a time.
Pros
I had good managers to work for.
Cons
I was laid off before my contract expired.
Electrical Engineering Intern, Asset Performance (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 7, 2017
What makes TVA so special is the people. TVA offers such a dynamic and respectful work environment and makes you eager to work there everyday. TVA's work area covers much of the Southeast U.S. so there are many oppurtunities to rise within the company. Also TVA offers a very laid-back work environment but the people motivate you to be the best you can be.
Pros
Respectful people, laid-back work environment, benefits
Cons
Hard to get hired on at this time
Laborer/ Instructor (Current Employee) –  West Paducah, KY 42086February 7, 2017
Tennessee Valley Authority is a great place to be. They are downsizing which is a sad thing for a lot of people (I included in the ones to be retiring involuntary). It is a great place to work at with people that are good at getting along with everyone. My work ( as a laborer) was to maintain the job site and there were always something to do but safety is always the first thing to consider before starting the job. You would have pre-job briefings, safety awareness, and post-job briefing of any problems as we work.Management is great. I only have one problem with managment and that was because of my fault of missing more days than usual. The benefits is wonderful as well. In the mid of November everyone will get a bonus based on our salary and the percentage TVA gives according to our yearly performances and safety which helps on christmas items. Working for the Government letting hotels and other place know you work for them usually gives good discounts. And from what I heard, retirement is great for those that have been there for twenty or more years. I do enjoy working for TVA while the job is still intact.
Pros
Best place to work
Cons
A lot of downsizing is happening
overall good place to work
Operator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 23, 2017
lots of changes in the energy industry has caused tva to down size. not sure what the future holds for tva. maybe things will turn around in the future for the industry and tva
Pros
pay
Cons
company in the middle of down sizing
Student Analyst
Stock Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 16, 2017
Through the investment challenge, 10 students each semester manage an equity portfolio worth about $500,000. Made presentations for existing or new firms to have in the portfolio and whether to buy, hold, or sell.
Pros
Great real world experience in the classroom.
Cons
Great pay. Union tradesmen can do as they please. Unions control workplace.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 8, 2017
Seasoned Union members know all of the loopholes and exploit them to there advancement. You cannot enforce any discipline because a grievance will be filed every time. If you are Union and are permanent, you can do as you please. Unions are great but some discredit their value.
Pros
Paid AL and SL all holidays with good pay
Cons
Manipulative Union members
A company in a changing regulatory environment.
Corporate Fire Protection Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 14, 2016
TVA has significant expertise, but not as much as it previously had. Many engineering functions were decentralized, causing higher emphasis on production and inconsistency between unit designs.
Pros
Excellent benefits and bonus
Cons
politics
Great Place to work
HVAC Mechanic and Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNNovember 2, 2016
TVA is one of the top places to work in our area. Pay is great, along with benefits.
Safety is a main concern, along with education.
Some of the most professional and easy going people I have ever worked along side.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
not any
Dedicated and talented workforce
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 25, 2016
Overall, the employees of TVA are dedicate and skilled. Deep cuts to the labor force and recent managment changes have created an unstable work environment.
TVA Top Notch team and management
Sr. Specialist Host and Network Forensic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 21, 2016
Great team to work with along with great mid to Sr. Management. Cyber security is an amazing group of focused and and talented individuals. Management actually takes time to listen to all concerns and reasonable to work with.
Pros
Cons
contract work with terrible contracting companies
TVA Review
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 18, 2016
The company was a good company to work for while in College and right after. The team members that you work with are a great team to work with and everyone gets along with each other.
Pros
The team that you work with
Cons
The long work hours and the location of the job sites
Na
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALSeptember 18, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Lot oof frequent upper management changes. Employment stability for lower levels challenged by usual approach by leaders to trim the tree by chopping the roots!
Pros
Pay
Cons
No comment
Not much of a fun place to work at
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 13, 2016
A typical day at work was frustrating because I didn't have anyone to talk to the workers wre very hard people. I learned not to trust everyone. management was nice and undrestandable. Co-workers were to themselves and pretty much stuck with there friends. Just going to work and dealing with negeative people. Getting hired was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Working for the Goverment
Cons
Hard enviorment to work in.
Review of TVA
Financial Services (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 24, 2016
TVA is a great place in terms of benefits for employees. However, TVA middle management is too beaurocratic and political. Great ideas and innovation were fundamental in TVA's early success, however, middle management chooses to not rely on that same path of vision in today's business environment. Top management is some of the best in the business. Middle management needs development.
Pros
Benefits, stability
Cons
Layered Management and support
International Laborer (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALAugust 23, 2016
I truly enjoyed being contracted to work with TVA. I am very proud to be a part of such a wonderful process and what we do their matters. I take great pride in saying I am a part of the process that takes place there. I have been able to learn and review things that the every day person would not be able to see.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
longs hours
Stress Analyst Safety Related Piping
Engineering Associate - Civil Engineering (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 12, 2016
I was a stress analyst for safety related nuclear systems and equipment on all of the TVA nuclear projects bot at the Engineering office in Knoxville and at the plant sites
Pros
Stimulating learning environment
Cons
Long hours and stress
Best employer in Chattanooga
Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 2, 2016
TVA is where to work in Chattanooga for the best pay and the best benefits, assuming you can survive all the cuts and re-orgs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tennessee Valley Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Tennessee Valley Authority Reviews by Location