Tennessee Valley Authority

Tennessee Valley Authority Employee Reviews in United States

Making electricity or supporting; how cool is that!
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Tuscumbia, ALOctober 21, 2015
I worked at one of the coal plants, supported nuclear, hydro, and gas. All locations have good management and are willing to challenge legacies.
Their training organizations are top notch. The nuclear organizations do not have a choice, but to be top quartile. Coal, hydro and gas follow the same standards as nuclear, but are not required to. That speaks volumes for the leadership and the importance they place on training.
Pros
large company, great benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons
government corporation equals slow processes, red tape, political pressures
Great for entry level, and contract work
Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 2, 2016
Great for entry level, but your work is slowed by lengthy processes. poor management good ole boy workplace. If you think your getting change in place think again you will be doing the old process and the new one. documentation is using three systems to date. if you like meetings this is your place, 8 hours a day some jobs all they do is stay in meetings all day, some lasting for several days. I was often double and triple booked for meetings.
Pros
cannot think of any
Cons
Too much management, to many processes, not enough pay
Probably the best paying and worst culture I've ever seen.
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  ChattanoogaJune 25, 2015
The pitch seems great when your onboarding, you think it's a good place but they pay a premium to treat you bad. You are guaranteed a reorganization annually in an effort to shift things around and look like they are improving but it's still littered with waste.

They change your evaluation too so they can hit "numbers" that come down from upper management.

Save yourself time.... Avoid this place if you value family life, have morals, and enjoy holding on to your soul.

If you do join and you work downtown wear heels, mine weren't high enough nor did my dark hair do.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Unethical, low morals, bad work life balance.
I wouldn't tell anyone I cared about to work there
System Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TnSeptember 11, 2015
Lacking diversity in Management, lacks diversity in hiring practices, and advancement. The culture was divisive. I worked there a year and seen more family members hired and advanced. A husband would promote his wife or kids, or sister. This is the culture.
Politics
Intern, Commodity Forecasting (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 16, 2015
TVA has potential, it really depends on the Management. I was not lucky enough to be under someone that wanted to manage properly.
Pros
Secure Job, Tremendous Benefits.
Cons
Lower management.
The best and most creative work environment for someone at my level of experience
Geotechnical Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 11, 2016
The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) offered the best and most creative work environment for someone at my level of experience. When I went to work for TVA, the company had recently experienced one of the worst environmental incidents in the history of the United States. Yet, regardless on the media and outside pressures from the National EPA and many concerned citizens, TVA's management team was able to keep its cool, be courteous, respectful and polite to everyone involved, including plaintiffs, and acted in every case known to me with the professional responsibility that one would help expect from folks who cherish the American values of those who founded this great nation. I served TVA as its first Geotechnical Engineer after a long absence of engineers with my type of background and soon my level of responsibilities grew from being just one more person on a very large team to a key professional in TVA's goals to not only remedy the errors of the past, but to establish a state-of-practice engineering team by leading an extensive geotechnical engineering monitoring program and a quality assurance/quality control program for the proper stacking of a very difficult material to understand, namely the behavior of Coal Combustion Products (CCPs). TVA's management team not only entrusted me with enormous project budgets and responsibilities, but encouraged me all the way through challenging times. After years of great professional rewards, I took an early retirement to return to south Florida, where my family and I have permanently resided for over 30 years.
Pros
An excellent work environment with great benefits and performance bonuses
Cons
As with any large organization, internal policies and controls can at time stifle progress and creativity.
Great Place to Work
Allen CT Site Foreman (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2015
Good Company to work for. Pay and Benefits are at the top of the list. They make it hard to go to another company due to the pay and benefits
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
No Room for advancement
Fun Office Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 18, 2016
I will go to my desk and begin to file hardcopies of updated CADNet drawings into their designated portfolios. Then, I will file the digital/electronic copies of the material I just previously filed into the TVA digital database. It is up to me to keep all records up to date in the database, which can be assessed by all TVA office employees.

I will then go to the mailroom and send off any necessary materials that is needed by field workers. I also pick up materials and new copies/printouts for all the office workers in my department. I then hand-deliever the mail to the workers and order any office supplies needed for the week.

Lastly, I email and fax all documents that my supervisor asks me too.
Pros
45 minute lunch, breaks and great working conditions
Cons
Job secuirty
Stable and safe environment
Senior Instrument Technician (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNMarch 25, 2016
I currently work at a fossill fuels facility in Tennessee.

The promotion potential is too structured on who you know versus your work history and performance.
Pros
Very good pay
Cons
Expensive health care costs
Fast Paced and Challenging
Senior Manager, Nuclear Supply Chain & Materials (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 13, 2015
Excellent company to work for. They, like other companies have been downsizing/rightsizing, However, it is/was necessary in order to meet the demands of our customer community
Pros
good compensation
Cons
Can be stressful on the nuclear side
Challenging place to work with great co-workers
Retired and unemployed (Former Employee) –  New Johnsonville, TNApril 16, 2016
Learned about the electric power industry especially within some of the top-rated Nuclear and fossil-fired powerhouses in the country.
Management and employees reflect a safety-first attitude.
Great learning environment with generous opportunities for education and training.
Pros
adequate salary, benefits and training opportunities
Cons
somewhat limited ability for advancement
Typical days at work
Production Engineer (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALMarch 16, 2016
Typical day at work varies depending on the season. Typically during the summer months pre-planing is conducted in preparation for the fall turbine outages which can last anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

Pre planning involves working with the customer on developing the scope of work, writing or revising job instructions, and setting up vendor contracts.

In addition to outage pre-planning, tasks during the summer months include providing engineering direction/support to the machine shop craft on the refurbishing of various nuclear and non-nuclear power production components. This involves analyzing data and providing dispositions/recommendations on the various as found conditions of components.

During the Fall, and Spring months I provide engineering support at the various outage sites thought the Tennessee Valley. During the outage components are dissasembled, inspeced, and repairs are made as needed per engineering recomendations.

Outages are typically are very high pressure and very fast paced due to the amount of issues found and the short time constraints.
Pros
Jobs are very hands on and provide the opportunity to learn a lot.
Cons
extensive travel
Well established security.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALJune 27, 2015
This was one of by better jobs. Although there were things I did not agree with, there was a different sense of comfort from management even if I felt like they were not as qualified for their position as they should be. Overall, A good place to work.
Pros
Job security and advancement opportunities.
Cons
Shift work, swing shifts, monotony in duties.
Good job and benefits
Information Rep - Records (Current Employee) –  Spring City, TNApril 20, 2015
Good people, good job, and good benefits, especially for the area. Very competitive environment. Management personalities vary. I enjoy my job because I am able to demonstrate and improve my skills and provide innovative solutions.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Hard to progress
Love Nuclear Power, very interesting
Equipment Reliability Intern - Nuclear (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 11, 2015
Pretty good management, great coworkers and down-to-earth people. A lot of after work activities to stay connected with each other! Hardest part of my job was sitting still in a cubicle all day, but getting to go into and being so close to the plant was cool. Typical day was spent quietly in a cubicle trying to stay awake. However there's always something to do so no looking for work.
Pros
Great coworkers, gym available, beautiful area
Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 24, 2016
Management is always encouraging growth and personal development. I was thankful for that during my time at TVA. I learned a lot and have put to use many skills that I gained there.
Good Place to Work
Student Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tuscumbia, ALOctober 13, 2015
Excellent Pay and Benefits. Great people. I have really enjoyed the past 10 years working at TVA. I have gotten to know a lot of really good people.
worst job ive ever had, poor managment, bad invirment, poor leaders
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Bear Dam, Hodges, AlabamaAugust 17, 2014
I went annual with T.V.A 3 years ago and it was the worst mistake i ever made in my life and Ive made so poor decisions in my life. I went annual for job security but when i hired in the started talking cut backs imagine that. No one seemed to care about your skills or trades all they worried with was that i didn't make them look stupid so out of the 2 annual employees me and my foremen you can guess who couldn't do anything but i wish the management in T.V.A would see the talent and would get out of there office and see who done all the work and jobs that had to be done right instead of taking someones word for it. T.V.A offered everyone valley wide a ref package even if you had 1 year service and if u didn't they would find a reason to let you go like me using my past and falsifying documents were they could get rid of u without costing them any money
Pros
benifits
Need Permanent employment
Administrative Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALAugust 3, 2015
Great company to work for. Provide great benefits if your lucky to get hired as a permanent employee. Provides on the job training programs and educational resourses.
Pros
Work Hours
Cons
Only hiring contract work, no permanent employment
Good place to work as a High School student
Auto-Cad Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 2, 2016
I worked at TVA as a COOP program. I gained a lot of important information as a young student. I enjoyed working with fellow students doing an important job using Auto-cad overlaying drawings from Senior Engineers.