In collaboration with backline engineering staff the Field Support Engineer (FSE) installs, troubleshoots and maintains an extensive variety of products and equipment by identifying, analyzing, and repairing product failures and also FSE orders and replaces parts as needed. All this is done in a timely manner in order to maintain maximum customer satisfaction second to none.
The FSE is familiar with a variety of the industry’s concepts, practices, and procedures; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. The FSE may also lead and/or direct the work of others.
The following are principal duties of the Field Support Engineer:
LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT
- Represent TERiX in a positive and professional manner.
- Work with all personnel and outside contacts to satisfy clients and achieve company goals
- Identify areas of improvement in the company and assist in creating and implementing solutions
- Identify wasteful or inefficient practices and other unnecessary expenses to maintain a strong “Index of 1”
- Report hazardous work environments to management.
- Assist in training other engineers within TERiX.
- Ability to work with and enhance the team concept.
- Provide timely, accurate and unambiguous updates to the ticketing system.
- Follow company guidelines and procedures.
- Maintain work areas in a clean and organized manner.
- Dress professionally when meeting customers.
- Perform duties so as to meet customers’ SLA.
Policies & Procedures
- Accept dispatches from response center personnel.
- Recognize situations requiring a service call Escalation and follow proper Escalation Procedures.
- Understand the Out of Scope process and how to properly use it.
- Verify serial numbers, model types and locations of each piece of equipment worked on.
- Provide the support required to close service events promptly, within the SLA and to the satisfaction of the customer (“fix the customer”)
- Prepare for service events by reviewing technical documents, ticket details, and possessing proper tools.
- Arrive to work, job sites, and meetings on time and prepared
- Understand how to prevent damage to components from ESD and practice safe ESD.
- Follow Action Plans and other instructions provided by backline engineers.
- Follow appropriate OEM procedures (Software or Hardware) to resolve the end user’s hardware problem.
- Communicate effectively with end users, customers, and other TERiX personnel.
- Validate actual problems and validate correct parts to be used for service
- Update ticketing system with problem resolution notes.
- Submit parts requests for the appropriate parts to resolve customer issues per the Parts Request Procedure
- Test various parts used for service
- Perform any other duties assigned by your manager
The Field Support Engineer is responsible for:
- Possessing the following:
A thorough working knowledge of TERiX’ ticketing system
A thorough understanding of the Five Rules of Entitlement.
A thorough knowledge of TERiX Values.
Understanding the three levels of escalation and situations that would trigger their use.
Understanding TERiX’ basic SLAs and how to find definitions of other SLAs.
- Preparing for each service event so that the need for backline support is minimized.
- Providing accurate information for each service event.
- Recognizing when help is needed and ask for it.
- Following the STIX process when functioning as either a Sticky Owner or Assigned User.
- Updating the In/Out board regularly with personal status.
- Seeking additional training to enhance personal technical competency.
- Sharing personal expertise freely with other TERiX engineers.
- Submitting accurate Time sheets, expenses reports regularly
- Tracking personal PTO accruals.
- Personal transportation to and from customer sites is available.
- Completing all the duties of the Field Support Engineer per this job description
The following are principal authorities granted to the Field Support Engineer:
- To communicate directly with end users and customers.
- Commit TERiX to a specific time for service.
- Escalate tickets in line with the escalation policies
- Make recommendations for Ticketmaster or process improvements
- Exercise the responsibilities and perform the duties of this position. This includes full decision-making authority for all responsibilities and duties
The Field Support Engineer reports to the Service Delivery Manager. This may be through a Field Support Supervisor. There are no positions that report directly to the Field Support Engineer.
- Technical Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent Technical Certifications
- Strong troubleshooting skills coupled with an aptitude for working through technical issues.
- Minimum of four years direct related experience
- Valid Driver’s License, reliable vehicle, current auto insurance policy, with a clean driving record
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize and self-direct one’s own schedule.
- A heightened attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills
- Strong customer facing skills