Terminix

Terminix Employee Reviews

Zero time to have a life outside of work employees arent provided with what they need
Pest Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAFebruary 12, 2015
This job is ok if you have a whole lot of time to waste. You never know how long your work day will be. If you just so happen to get an account with a lot of businesses or a lot of difficult customers your day will undoubtedly be very long. I would start at 5 AM sometimes and not get off until 5 PM and you cant clock in til you are at your first stop which for me was 35 min from my home, then you would have to go back to the shop to turn paperwork in and the shop was an hour away from my area of work, and 20 min from my house. Then you get home and have to spend another hour or so scheduling your route for the next day and calling customers and adjusting the times for the customers that like being difficult. This puts you at around 730 PM when you are finished, if you have a family like me you have maybe an hour to spend with your kids, and wife. They tell you you work one Saturday a month and you really work 2 to 3 so all you have is Sunday off and you are so tired its crazy. Certain businesses had priority so you could be having a day in a town 2 hours away from your normal route then a certain business or two that shall remain nameless would call in something they think might be happening at their establishment and you would have to drive 2 hours over there to handle it before you are off. Management was nice but the Sales team just told the customers what they want to hear and its the PC tech job to inform the customers you cant do that because you could lose your licensing while customer calls corporate and complains about you like it is your fault and not the sales guy  more... who lied to them in the first place. God forbid you get the mountain routes because they provide you with maps that are from 1920 that dont add up at all and a Sprint phone with no GPS that doesnt even work anywhere near the mountains. So if you cant find a customers house then guess what? You have to drive an hour down the hill and call that customer when you get in to service and hope they explain how to get there well and let you come the following day because odds are you are beyond your 12 hrs. Make sure you ask about honest pay rates before hand because i was tricked. It is 11 an hour plus commissions you end up making about 2700 a month if that. Best part about the job is the other employees which are generally nice people.  less
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
read about it
Decent place
Administration/sales (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLOctober 24, 2013
I've been working for terminix in daytona over a year and currently looking for other employment. I started out as inside sales which they no longer offer that position. My manager at the time was new and had no previous experience managing someone in my position, the goals required of me were unreasonable for the job that I had. After 6 months I ended up transferring under another supervisor and doing administration which would be labeled as "general office clerk". My manager is amazing, and I love working for her. Recently we had a change in our positions and no longer do administration duties which include accounts payable, cash processing, data entry. Now, we are doing collections and its not what any of us were hired for. The majority of the current admin team are considering leaving and looking for new careers. In terminix, there's not much room for advancement. Most people get hired into terminix as outside sales, which requires you to have your own transportation. The pay for outside sales is amazing though, they rarely hire for technicians. Sometimes they post ads for "start tech" which isn't exactly the same as a technician, though they do give you a truck. A start tech makes less than a regular tech, I think it might be hourly. The sales guys make a base plus commission, and the techs make salary plus extra for the stops they have every day. If you're good at sales, this would be the best place for you to work. I gave a poor rating for job security because in my instance, we might lose our jobs as the admin team, and if you get hired for sales, and you don't meet  more... the sales goals set for you within 3 months, they term you. Management is good, the branch manager is nice, he's fairly new. The service manager is really nice and easy going too. The sales manager is newer and I haven't spoken to him much, he's not the same person who managed me, which is good. That guy quit the company months ago. Anyways, terminix is a decent place to work depending on your job position. The benefits are pretty good too. They offer blue cross. Pretty decently priced. Also, they give you 40 hours a year sick time, 40 hours vacay, 40 hours personal time.  less
Highly stressful, depending on the region you are in. Six day workweeks without disclosing this at the final interview.
Branch General Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 2, 2012
Typical day included the Branch Manager checking in the sales team and discussing what they accomplished and what they could not close. Do some role playing when nessary to help them overcome any fears or shortcomings in their sales encounters. I then checked in my subordinate service managers to discuss their check in procedures with the service staff. We discussed any problems or identified chances to commend the service staff.

Terminix educated me on how a large Fortune 500 company can vary greatly between which VP your region reports to. I have also learned that with this Service Master Company a division may follow the Mission Statement more seriously than other divisions.

Under the right Regional Manager/VP you could really love this job and have a fulfilling career.

My co workers were my branch team. They supported me and worked hard at any task that I presented to them. My particular branch had a great work ethic and supported me as their manager.

The job itself was very fulfilling. It was when I transferred to another regional manager that I had difficulty understanding what was required, I felt like I moved to a different company with many rules that did not seem to coincide with my previous managers ideas. Hence the required 6 day workweek and 14 hour days.

The fact that you were responsible for your branch and could run it almost autonomously gave you as a manager the greatest satisfaction when your team achieved good or great rusults over the year before's performance. I will always regret with all my heart that the placement that I recieved, if under a different
  more... Regional Manager, would have given me the best job that I could have ever hoped for. I also regret that I will have to explain this to future employers as to why I resigned from Terminix. It seems to me that it will never bode well for me since I had a very negative experience. I will have to run into another hiring manager that has the same openmindedness as myself when it comes to hiring someone who had a negative experience with the previous employer.  less
Pros
wages
Cons
long working hours, 6 day workweek.
Stay away from this company
Manager (Former Employee) –  NYAugust 16, 2012
I was employed by Terminix for quite a while and went through several changes the company made not only to upper management but the structure of the company as well. They preach about holding people accountable but when you do hold you employees accountable you are the one that is reprimanded for it. They have the We Listen program in place to assist with employee problems however, once an acqusation is made against you the perception is that you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. Since you are not allowed to know what was said or who said it, you have no way of presenting your side. You will work 60+ hours a week and not be rewarded for doing so. You will be lucky if you have a Branch Manager that even bothers to show up at the branch and extremely lucky if they know how to do their job let alone any portion of your job should you be on vacation or out of the office for any other reasons. The bonus plan they offer has the potential of being rewarding however, they change it so that it makes it harder to earn one. There is dishonesty throughout and unless you are one to suck up to the right people you won't get anywhere. The AOE program is geared towards Branch Managers and Sales Reps. The service side only gets to send one manager or management team and one technician while every BM and OSP in the Region could go if they met the minimum requirements. On many days it's like running a daycare. There are some good people that work for the company but they are becoming few and far between with the way the company is treating people. If you see things being done that  more... are against company policy or the law it's in your best interest to just look the other way if you want to keep your position or job.  less
Pros
benefits, bonus
Cons
no loyalty, let the employees run the place, managers are just there to take the blame
Over all it's an ok company to work for, but they do not care about your work ethic, & loyalty, u are only a number to them.
ADMIN/CSR/HBA (Former Employee) –  Tucker, GASeptember 29, 2012
I was with Terminix for 8 years. I worked in ADMIN/CSR, and had alot of knowledge that some mangers did not have, senyority. I had recvd numerous of certificates & emails from managers & Corp Managers, for outstanding Customer Service & also got gift cards as well for the certificates. It's was a great place to work, as far as the job I done, and the people I worked for, and the benifits are great. The only issue I have is, the company does not look at your work ethic, and loyalty. You are a number to them & regardless of how good u are & your loyalty, if u do not meet a number, they either fire u or lay u off. In my case, I was laid off.

A typical work day insisted of, answer phones any where from 150-200 calls or more a day. Follow up on Customer resolution problems, deposit, and a whole lot more. I learned a lot during my 8 years with Terminix. Such as the GA State law guidelines on transfer of contracts. That was the best part of my job . My co workers were awesome. Best manager I could ask for. Management was great to work for. Hardest part of the job, was when an upset customer called yelling or cussing & u have been instructed no matter what, do not hang up. That is the most stressful part of the job. Most enjoyable, was to set & do data entry in computer systems. The best times, was when u get a customer who was very upset & u keep your calm & u take a bad call & turn it around & make it the happiest customer of the day. That was a joy & I did that 99% of the time. Kept alot of customers from canceling their accounts.
Pros
free lunches at times if we met monthly branch requirements.
Cons
two 15 min breaks a day & 1 hr lunch
A billion dollar company, technologically lagging, deficient in training, and tries to grow by 'defense'
Inspector/Sales/Application (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 4, 2015
Terminix was bought from the Servicemaster group of companies, reorganized and sold back to Servicemaster a few years ago. Buyout 'specialists' did the easy work by closing small offices, reducing rent and overhead and consolidated by opening larger offices and call centers to handle customer contact/management. They seemingly blatantly ignored other more complex and costly issues that could have made Terminix a world class company and instead left the company with a different set of challenges.

Call center attrition rate as of March '15 is 30% and a regular source of customer complaints.

The day to day operations, reporting, etc, uses a DOS based computer system (that's right, no typo, DOS)

Routing of over 8,000 service vehicles is grossly inefficient and wastes technicians time and opportunity to earn (ever heard of Microsoft Streets and Trips?)

Initial classroom and online training is adequate and meets state requirements. In field developmental training is ad hoc

Technician compensation has a built in 'wage supressor' meaning cancels due to customer moving, dying, complaints about call center ops all contribute to reducing commission and no way for a tech to neutralize those cancels thru pro active, controllable measures on their own part.

Management has clear operational and financial goals, but has not incentivized the workforce to 'buy in' to those goals, to wit.....lack of continual training, lack of an effective employee 'feedback program' and wage suppression of their primary public contact service people.
hardest part of the job
pest control technician and sales representive (Current Employee) –  TNOctober 14, 2014
Working for a pest control company can be rewarding and stressfull
at the same.time. generally on a typical day you start your day out with a schedule that can change at any moment this can cause havoc for you if you need to leave a territory you are scheduled to work in and a trouble call gets double booked on you in a different city thus causing you to fall behind in your routine and cause other customers to have to wait this can become very agitating to the technician and his other customers.However it can also be rewarding dealing with the same customer over the years allows you to build a relationship that pays of in the years of service they get to know and trust you and learn of your family such as children and other relatives some are giving at holidays and others are just glad to see you and have someone to talk to especially the elder.its a great feeling in knowing you were able to do some one a great service and leave them satisfied with what they have paid for there are easy days and there are hard days that seem to never end sometimes but the hardest part about the job is losing a customer someone you come to know and suddenly there not your customer anymore weather from the economy or death they still were someone that made the job worth getting up for and going to
maybe this title should have been (what you learned) because
no matter what job we have we all have to sell ourselves and making a good impression can go a long way with customer relations and satisfaction.it can sometimes be hard but rewarding at the end of the day.
Pros
co-workers good customer relations and fulfilling day of a job completed
Cons
pay, no room for advancement, constant schedule conflicts and benifits that dont meet expectations of the employee
Terminix is a very lucrative place to work
Outside Residential and Commercial Sales (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXJanuary 19, 2016
However, once you get in you start to see little problems here and there that can eventually lead to big problems. They are very disconnected and have a break down in the stream line of information once you get on the branch management or above level. The pay is great if you're truly a "go getter" but if your not willing to work for it, you're likely not going to be profitable here. The benefits are amazing!

Typical day of work: They prefer you to get in front of between 4 and 12 people a day, do a thorough, but swift inspection of the attic, crawlspace, inside and outside the home. (if your super claustrophobic you're either facing your fear or you're not going to last. After each inspection you're expected to graph out and label a graph of the customers home using a hand held or tablet (depending on branch, all should be ipads by end of 2016) and calculate the cost of whatever services you've deemed their home needs. Then you have to overcome any and all rebuttals to close a sale,

Pay, usually if you're in sales they will provide for a $1,500+ set salary per a month and start at 15% commision after the first $20,000(which often takes less than five customers meet), for 2016 there is also a plan built in for a kicker 5% from the first dollar in all core termite sales, and certain managers also run challenges that offer additional bonuses of gift cards and other cool stuff.
Pros
A lot of positions provide company cars and great benefits and commision structured pay.
Cons
Several systems are out dated, and the communication from branch to region to corp is very disconnected and slow.
No time to spend with family
Route Tech (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXJuly 24, 2015
Overall this company is alright to work for though the pay is below fair also do not expect to have any time outside of work. One of the biggest problems I had with this company is that they push you to sell services by having a lenient quota system even though you are not part of the sales team. When you do inquire why do we even have a sales team if the techs are the ones being pushed to sell, sell, sell you are answered with "Have you received any punishment for not selling?".

Sales team sells things to customers without full knowledge of what they are selling so when you show up to complete the service and collect payment the customer gets upset due to price, service, and other discrepancies leaving the tech to take the blow both on paycheck and face value.

There is zero room for advancement other than starter tech and route tech which are generically the same.
Almost seems as if you are scheduled with the knowledge it is physically impossible to meet the time frame.

You will spend your thirty minute break driving to your next stop because if you actually stop and eat you will be late for a few stops and will hear about it from management. Expect to work from 6:30AM-8PM; sometimes 9/10PM.

CEO came to our branch and disregarded all the tech questions though once sales team came in he was happy to answer any questions they had.

Speak out about concerns and it will be held against you.
Pros
Multiple discounts, Benefits, Company Vehicle.
Cons
No/Short breaks, Low wages, Pushed to sell services that are not needed, Work/Life Balance, Inconsistent scheduling.
Overall "it was a job."
Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TxDecember 30, 2014
I was employed by Terminix for 5 yrs in sales. Money varies depending on the season. I have been gone for 4 years and from what I understand it is still the same. You have 4 to 6 salesman going after the same nut. Keep in mind you pay your own fuel and drive your own vehicle. With that said someone else makes your schedule and I found that this "other person" making schedule did not own after map. One could drive 200 miles after day and not have one credible appointment. This is a commissioned job. You are paid on a draw just as most car salesmen. On average you have to sale 13k a month to break even on draw. This does not include fuel. If you make a sale you are paid 2 or 3 % of sale for fuel. So it is in your best interest to prequalify your leads....problem....pre qualifying is a big "do not do." Your management will make or break you. Some care....Some don't. Just depends on branch. If you like little to no recognition for Selling above and beyond, want to make 40k a year after expenses, work six days a week and run a vehicle into the ground this might be the position for you. In short what I found as my overall view of the company and how they view sales/sale man is if they throw enough mud at the wall some will stick. Some won't. Turn over is huge. New sale men every 3 months or so.
Pros
limited freedom to make sales happen.
Cons
poor pay, use of own vehicle, poor management
Good branch management, great co-workers
Pest Technician (Current Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYNovember 4, 2014
The day starts off by stopping at the office if you choose. A quick hello to management, maybe a brief conversation. Pick up any supplies you may need and you drive to your territory for your first stop of the day.
A typical days number of stops can range from 10-12 on the off season and up to 15 or 16 during busy season. Depending on your duties you may treat for pests or check termite bait stations or both.
The managers are helpful and always willing to talk. The new branch manager is working diligently to give the office a new, clean look. Given the type of work, you don't see a lot of your co-workers, but when you do they are all great people and willing to help when they can.
There really isn't a "hard" part to the job, but as with any service related industry, keeping the customer happy would come the closest to being considered "hard".
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to a variety of people on a daily basis.
Pros
company vehicle, company gas card, they supply uniforms and laundry service for the uniforms.
Cons
takes forever to move ahead, even with a number of years experience, have to work every saturday, possible lay off at the end of november.
I managed an office with the best employees
VP Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaliforniaSeptember 10, 2015
I was the office manager and I worked hand in hand with the VP and five other department heads but I primarily worked directly worked with the regional VP. I had the best team. I still stay in contact with them and visit them when I return to California for m annual vacation. I loved working at the regional office and would probably still be there but Terminix changed it's structural business operations and closed all offices of every kind and everyone worked from their house, which I did for 3 years until they decided that they wanted a call center and moved it to a state in which I did not reside. I love working with numbers so i loved balancing the budgets and I loved working with customers. Since this was the regional office they called our office if they could not get a resolution at the branch level. The hardest part of the job was once a month we had all the branch employees from a certain dept come to the region and we fed them breakfast and lunch and held an all day meeting. It was a lot of work. It took us most of the month getting ready for that training meeting and work on our other duties in between getting the monthly meeting prepared.
Pros
I loved everyone I worked with
Cons
I lived about 20 miles away and traffic was so bad it took me an hour and a half to get to work.
Company means well...
Outside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CASeptember 8, 2014
Decent place to work but they have no real interest in sales associate retention. Their business model is based on a revolving door of field reps instead of employee cultivation. This could be changed with just a few minor tweaks in the commission structure, but no one seems interested in changing.

Exp: Sales Reps receive their commission checks as well as their mileage reimbursement only once month (and this compensation is received a whopping 30 days AFTER the month ends). So when you're just starting out, you'll make pennies for about 2 months while you get your license, then you'll use your own money for gas for 2 months (because you won't receive your first mileage check until 30 days AFTER your first month in the field) running around "filling the funnel" before you finally receive your first real commission check anywhere from 4-6 months after your hire date. That kind of financial strain puts most adults in the kind of hole that it takes months to climb out of. And it could all be circumvented if sales reps were paid their commission and their mileage every 2 weeks for the 2 weeks prior, instead of once of month for the month before like every other sales job.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
takes way too long to start making adult money
Fast paced enviroment with no co worker support or management.
Pest Control Technician (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Poorly run management team with lack of communication between them. Managers have no desire to go out in the field and help out the team instead prefer to remain in the office playing secretaries.Company under sales services to remain competitive and over burden the technicians with work imposing a daily quota of 17 or more stops depending on the amount of monthly customers(usually between 200 and 300) Company has on time delivery service that only pertains to the corporate accounts and consider these high priority however due to the time constraints technicians have no time to deliver that service and it is always compromised.Unfortunately due to the daily high route volume the technicians are forced to provide very sub standard work in most of the cases technicians walk in and walk out with little or no pesticide application or just conducting inspections only,leaving the poor customer wondering what they are paying for.Unfortunately most pest control companies are the same way today.What a shame.And to think that onetime there was such a thing in this nation called customer service.Now its called lets do the bare minimum and get rich B!
Pros
no micromanaging
Cons
No management support.
They'll basically give you a Terminix shirt and tell you to make it happen
Outside sales (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 7, 2015
The outside sales position is a complete joke. I've been there for over 1.5 years living on promises of things getting better. They never do. In reality this is a cold call/door to door position with very high turnover. There will be 2 or 3 guys who get all the leads, other than fake junk leads. Your best bet to make sales will be to do an hourly paid position for no pay and "work your magic".
There is money to be made but unless one of the guys with a gravy territory dies, you'll be doing more company business than it's worth to try to make it.
My best bet right now is to crawl under snake/spider infested houses (8+ per day) and try to find problems that no one has tried to sell on yet.
THERE IS NO LEADS TO CLOSERS PROGRAM. The employment sales ad they are running blatantly lies about that.
This is coming from a person who is still on good terms and working there.... Run.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
This is a fake sales position to get you to promote their services until you quit, They will provide little or no leads.
Everyday games,food and contest
Inbound / Outbound Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAApril 6, 2015
A highly energetic office full of sales reps,using creative effective communication,to get maximum results and closed deals.When you first walked in you may be surprised with employees cheering,because of your performance for previous days or weeks. I learned a technique on how to show the customer ways they saved money,by purchasing the companies best and most difficult program to sell,by upselling a comparison of the least amount of service,for the price. All the employees were very helpful,and eager to see you succeed,the hardest part of the job,was hearing some of the emotional customers who had horrible,pest issues,that needed our service attention,but the hours of operation,sometimes left a next day scheduling,instead of right away. The enjoyable thing was there was always spiffs,prizes and games after every accomplishment,and company parties were a treat.
Pros
Several sales options to secure a close
Cons
Not having available technicians for later shifts
Unstable
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FloridaAugust 1, 2014
This company changes management as quickly as most people change socks. They overwork their employees and with each passing year their benefits decrease. They are constantly revamping, for what they believe is to the better. However it is not. They used to let each office handle their own clients. Then they made it so each region handled everyone in regions calls. This was still not so bad. Then it went to everyone handled nationally. This was bad because you no longer had a personal relationship with customers. Then there is the fact that they like to fire people with no notice what so ever. They know in advance who they are going to let go, but they give no indications. You just come in one morning and they inform you it is your last day. There are always budget cut backs or offices closing. They treat the location manager like dirt. I felt sorry for their Service managers. This is a horriblele company to work for.
Pros
there used to be some, but now with their changes i can think of none.
Cons
michro-manage even down to potty breaks.
Horrible Morale, Management, Everything
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa's Net ParkJune 27, 2013
This call center strives for "World Class". Its more like "World Class Ghetto". Management changes policy everyday. Write-ups are an everyday event. Every employee was written up for the month of May-2013. The district managers hate each other and each day try to make the other look bad. Supervisors are not trained, there is no Resource Management Group, and the QA group is a joke. Ask for a company handbook, and your name gets added to the "get rid of" list.

The 78 y/o HR rep cannot remember conversations he has while conducting so called "investigations". This organization is a cesspool of harassment & discrimination. The EEOC has conducted two investigations in the short time I was there. There will be more, I'm sure. Don't waste your time with this company. They are horrible to their staff and even worse to their customers.

So glad that I'm gone. The worst three months of my life.
Pros
leaving this cesspool of hell.
Cons
taking this job over another i was offered.
Every day held a new adventure
Admin (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAFebruary 16, 2015
A day would consist of daily deposit from and posting, while taking customer calls and resolving customer issues. Assist salesman with sales and scheduling , follow up with problerm issues, handle credit card disputes as well as collections . Assist customer service reps. with scheduling, new account set up, pricing and contacting of reps.
Learned about the pest control industry and was educated in the fumigation and pest control industry. Management very much buried in corporate paperwork, large turn over but for the most part a pleasure to work with. Enjoyed co-workers in call center, very much team environment. I can't really say any part of the job was hard , I least enjoyed having to tell a client that there home was burgalrized during the course of receiving our services. I enjoyed my co workers and the cleints most of them just want to be heard and feel they got what they paid for.
Pros
great environment, never the same day twice
Cons
no advancement, constant selling of company with no job security
Inconsistent values-poor management
office administrator (Former Employee) –  WvJanuary 4, 2016
I applied for an admin position in the local branch. The job description was nothing like what the job ended up being. I was a glorified collections agent that spent the majority of my day getting yelled at because sales guys will say anything to get a sale. The service mgr ran around like a chicken with his head cut off while the branch mgr hid in his office, until he had to deal with something. I caught sales guys lying and stealing, and nothing was done.i got yelled at for not being able to collect on jobs, but mgrs went MONTHS ignoring customer complaints, because the jobs weren't completed.Nothin like fighting with a 65 y/o widow who owes $5,000 and her home is worse off than before terminix showed up. RUN AWAY! Don't work here or hire them
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible management, terrible customer service