Structural Engineer in Solar Industry
A rapidly growing, progressive Florida company that procures, designs, fabricates, and installs racking & foundations for photo-voltaic solar panels across the country. The engineering department is responsible for structural, mechanical, civil, and foundation engineering design of complete racking systems, racking components, individual projects, product development, installation equipment, marketing efforts, as well as support as required by the company’s broad spectrum of engineering needs.
The primary function of the structural engineering position will be to serve as a lead engineer on solar projects of various size and complexity across the country. Travel may be required depending on scope and requirements of individual projects. This position includes both project management and project engineering duties, including CAD, and management of engineering and CAD design staff.
The candidate must have substantial experience in steel and/or aluminum and the ability to demonstrate examples of work in structures similar to those found in the solar industry, such as canopies, agricultural buildings, or other auxiliary structures. Knowledge of solar structures is preferred, but not required. PE license is preferred, but not required. Experience in California, specifically with the Division of the State Architect (DSA), is preferred but not required.
Potential candidates must be able to use accepted engineering practices to produce models that accurately represent solar structures and foundations while meeting the requirements of building codes and client supplied design criteria. The structural engineer will modify existing proprietary solar structure systems and/or create new solar structure designs and systems. The position requires engaging in Civil/Structural/Mechanical disciplines to design these systems. Preparing budgets, schedules, and project status reports is also part of the job.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate proficiency in computers, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook), RISA, AutoDesk AutoCAD, and AutoDesk Inventor, LPile and other structural and mechanical engineering computer programs. Candidate should have knowledge of and experience with IBC, ASCE, AISC, ASME, NEC and other pertinent design manuals and publications.
Compensation and benefits are competitive. Exciting opportunity to establish yourself within a rapidly growing company in an aggressively expanding industry.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design solar racking components and complete systems.
- Prepare individual, site specific project documents
- Perform structural and mechanical calculations and analysis.
- Follow standard operation procedures through a series of related details, steps or processes using design criteria and established engineering formulas.
- Adjust and correlate data, research code issues and document findings.
- Organize and maintain project files.
- Additional duties as assigned.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- BS in Engineering with an emphasis in Structural and/or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in structural design, specifically in steel and/or aluminum, preferably some experience in small structures.
- PE license preferred, but must be able to take responsibility for their designs and others working under their supervision.
- Currently practicing Structural and/or Mechanical (preferred).
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong coordination and team building skills
- Knowledge of IBC, ASCE, AISC, ASME, NEC, Codes
- Proficient in Microsoft Office RISA, AutoDesk AutoCAD, and AutoDesk Inventor, LPile and other Structural and Mechanical Engineering computer programs.
Indeed - 14 months ago
TerraSmart, LLC. is a leading provider of commercial to utility scale solar ground mounts. The innovative ground screw and integrated...