Terracon Employee Reviews

Good people to work for, knowledgeable, a great place, a good company
Senior Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 4, 2017
Job duties were variable, making employees very diverse and never bored.
-Minimal supervision
-Good pay and benefits
-Many opportunities to pick up hours when needed
-Approval of vacation/sick time was never a problem
-I worked in three offices. Two of the three had fantastic coworkers and top-notch management who showed support and recognized a job well done.
-Very concerned with employee safety.
Pros
Good Boss Understanding Easy to work with
Cons
I dont see any real downsides. A job is afterall still work and hard at times. Cant complain
looks out for its employees
Lab technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 25, 2017
works with the employees. takes time out of work schedule to help further and maintain job morale and security. listens to employee input and suggestions.
Benefits are amazing!
Engineering Technician II (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 17, 2017
Terracon is a great company to work for, as far as working in construction materials testing its a tough balance having a family. Construction is a demanding field of work and taking care of clients is high priority.
hard hours
Level 2 Technician (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 4, 2017
weird early morning and late night hours- not a bad place if you really need a job- no advancement and that is all that I will say- you can't ask for more
Dirty, hard job with low pay and high turn-over
Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 30, 2017
Low-paying job that leaves you exhausted and worn out. That is why there is high turn-over at this position. I recommend you to keep searching as you will not be here long. If you are on the road, you may be gone for long hours and sometimes over-night. there is a high probability that you will get laid off in the winter!
Pros
lots of over time if you like that.
Cons
Low pay, long hours and likely to get laid off in the winter.
Good place to get some internship experience
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Winterville, NCMarch 24, 2017
As an Intern, you may not get many hours, but the idea is to gain some experience and an understanding of the industry. Co-workers are generally helpful and the office manager is a great guy.
Pros
Great people to work with
Terrible place to work
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 21, 2017
Trial by fire training. Low pay. Management will lie to you about raises and promotions to keep you in the building as long as possible and never follow through. Safety protocol is a sham. "IIF" You get Hurd your job is on the line. Either work 12 hour days when it's nice or get sent home when it rains or snows. Field techs all feel sorry for each other and just to prop one another up.
Pros
Decent benifits
Cons
Pay. Work/ Life. Promotion from within does not happen
Productive hard labor.
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2017
At Terracon, I worked with concrete cylinders, picking them up from the work sites around the Houston area and classified them at the office. Besides this, I also worked with soils. From Terracon, I learned more about soil classification. The hardest part of the job was the manual labor, it was constant.
Good environment to learn and Progress
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Bluffdale, UTFebruary 27, 2017
Terracon is an amazing company. It's employee owned, and really conscience about their employees. My day usually consisted of being the first one in the office (I enjoyed the quite time) and working on a variety of testing. I would test concrete for tensile strength, asphalt for porous properties, and soil for comparison levels. Managment was friendly, and productive. They did their best to help keep us at our best. The culture was very friendly and supportive of one another, and they all got along amicably. The hardest part was standing on my feet for hours on end, sometimes the whole day. However that was easily over come with time.
Pros
Great benefits as early was 30 days
Cons
On your feet a lot. Loud depending on what you're assigned. Really repetitive work.
Good Company
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 13, 2017
Great place for various construction related work including materials testing, geotechnical exploration, and environmental compliance. The company is set up with a cooperative attitude which encourages a high state of morale and enthusiasm which causes employees to maintain a teamwork oriented attitude.
Avoid it if you can
Env Engineer (Former Employee) –  MississippiFebruary 10, 2017
Typical consulting company where managers run field level employees into the dirt while doing everything they can to enhance their position.

Lies and false promise prevail
Pros
It beats unemployment
Cons
Tolerating lies and false promises
Decent pay, on the road a lot.
Driller (Current Employee) –  Gahanna, OHJanuary 29, 2017
Management has no appreciation for drillers. Pay is ok but could definitely be better. They will tease you with more money to keep you longer but come raise time you'll get .25 to .50 cents of a raise. Good luck moving up. they would rather hire someone in at a cheaper wage that doesn't know what they are doing. The only good thing is Per Diem and job security. You get 140 bucks a night when your out of town which is 95 percent of time.
Pros
Per Diem
Cons
Harsh weather bad management
Productive place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2017
This was a good start position in the corporate world. I was able to learn a lot about the company and it's values. I was also challenged with additional duties and was able to move up into different positions.
Great work environment with great people
Environmental Technician I, Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 9, 2017
Terracon was a great place to work. I learned about the consulting side of engineering. I learned how to conduct Phase I Environmental Site Assessments. My technical writing skills were enhanced because of the technical reports I wrote. I was also held accountable on an individual level whenever I logged my hours in each week, and how many hours I spent on each specific project for each day.
Good for job security
CMT IV (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 16, 2016
Way to many and too strict safety policies. Treatment of field staff to management is very noticeably different, benefits are ok, great pto, low bonuses, less than great insurence, manipulative coworkers and management, lots of broken promises.
Pros
Stable, reliable secure work if youre willing to travel
Cons
Go too far on safety policies, insurence not the best, little room to advance
Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 14, 2016
Terracon is a good place to work if u can become of of there favorites....lots of favoritism in the fort worth office..but if u dont mind early pours any where between 12 am and 4am everyday great place
Pros
Good bennifits
Cons
Horrible working hours
Terracon Lab Assistant
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 7, 2016
Began each day organizing samples for analyzing. Performed tests on individual samples and compiled results for statistical accuracy. The work itself was informative about the composition of retaining walls and structures. Co-workers pleasant and cooperative.
Very welcoming atmosphere
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 4, 2016
You get a lot of hands-on experience, in which you can apply your skills from schooling to actual field projects.

The work is a mix of testing materials both in the lab or on the field.

It is a great experience for people who do not mind long hours or traveling.
Great company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXNovember 8, 2016
Great place where I was able to learn about the engineering field and at the same time was able to contribute with my knowledge of computer software systems.
Good place to work and learn.
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 1, 2016
Terracon is a great place for the beginners. The guidance provided by the senior management is really a plus and overall the work culture is really great here.
Pros
Guidance and mentoring from senior management, benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Terracon. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8