Terracon Employee Reviews in United States

big turnover! gps tracking system. horrible. nighmare
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Tampa bay FloridaApril 13, 2016
Salary . Work 60 plus hours a week with absolutely no extra compensation or gratitude whats so ever!! Charge you too much out of your paycheck to use their company truck. Had one for the longest time last few years took it away with no compensations at all. Cost me naturally more in fuel and tolls wear and tear on my car for same salary. And in office between 6am and 7am. Getting home maybe by 7pm or 8. Approximately an hour drive each way. :'(:-(:O:-(
Pros
lots of work and hours if you want it
Cons
tons of overtime. pay $ sad:-( GPS stucks! horrible
A great experience
Technician II (Current Employee) –  Gates, NYMay 23, 2016
This job has give me more experience in geotechnical engineering. My co- workers/ bosses are very friendly. This job takes a lot of hard work, but it is very rewarding.
The hardest part of the job would be waking up at an early hour to drive to a job site in another city, or having to stay in that different city over night.
Pros
Compensation for food, gas, and overnight stays.
Enjoyable place to work, good working environment, good coworkers and good benefits. Can lack career advancement sometimes.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 11, 2016
Typical work day- 7 am - 530 pm

Recent changes in management have made me open to other options, however I'm not unhappy with my job

My co-workers are a good group of people and very supporting

The hardest part of the job is the lack of being able to plan personal things more than 24 hours in advance.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with clients
Great Company
Construction materials technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 25, 2016
Great company! Great benefits! Highly qualified and friendly staff that became like family! I fully enjoyed working for this company! If you are great with time management, responsible, hands on, easy to work learn hands on and able to work alone than this company is great for you!
Pros
Gowing
Cons
Can't say! Love this company
Not a good company to advance in.
Engineering Geo Technician (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 17, 2016
My job consists of commercial construction inspections and materials testing such as testing concrete and soil densities and reinforcing steel inspections according to blueprint and engineering specifications.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Low wages and terrible work/life balance
Stress filled job
Dispatcher/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 25, 2016
Take jobs for services, dispatch technicians, perform soil & concrete testing, covering customers services with technicians at the time specified by customers.
A wonderful employee owned company where employees matter
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 1, 2015
Terracon is a first class company. Proper initiatives are in place to be sure every employee is taken care of at every level both personally and professionally. It's an employee owned company so much care is given to its employees. The benefits are good and management truly does walk the talk.
Pros
Great benefits
Fun and hard labor job
labor operator (Current Employee) –  Lakeside, AZOctober 29, 2015
typical day on the job, you have to drink alot of water and work hard and fast to complete the days work given, its normaly hot outside, so it can get exsausting, work hard and go home and rest for tomorrows day of work.
Pros
30 minute lunch
Cons
short breaks up to 10 min
Long hours and then hour get caught. Enjoyable work though
Construction Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Parma, OHDecember 7, 2015
Wake up early go to construction site test concrete lots of downtime and minimal physical work. lots of days with 12 hour shifts.
Must be a jack of all trades
Staff Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAApril 18, 2016
Management at my office at Terracon (Atlanta-Duluth) was very good about changing the safety attitude in the company, and always emphasized the reasons and resources to do our jobs safely. Most managers were very supportive of safety, and of promoting the junior staff. There was a really big emphasis on the numbers - chargability goals and budgets were talked about at least weekly. Most junior staff was cross trained in at least two services (Phase I, NEPA, wetlands, asbestos testing, etc.) to ensure that when work was slow that you could cross to another group.

Each office operates as an individual Profit-Loss center. This allows each office to be more nimble and quick to respond to the local markets and to employee needs and ideas. However, it does not provide incentive to share work across offices. It was not uncommon that if someone in our office got a job in TN or MS, that we would keep it and spend more money traveling rather than working with an office more local to the project and spending less money. This also goes back to the focus on chargability.

There was a lot of flexibility to make your own hours and to work from home frequently.
Pros
flexability, good local management
Cons
senior management seemed out of touch, lot of solo travel
they will nickel and dime you, every benefit has a down side
senior testing tech (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 12, 2015
Here is what we were told when terracon bought out our company, "you are not just a number to us. Here is your employee number, that's how we know who you are." Bonuses can equate to fake money that can only be used at there silly online store with cheap merchandise which is like pulling teeth to use. They'll give you a truck to take, which you can take to and from work, good right? Then charge you for it and call it a state law....liars. Raises are stupid. Only the top few get good raises, so you can bust your behind and do well, but if the manager has his "friends" working there guess who.gets.the good raises. They do not.care if you want a life outside of work. Billable time is all they care about, so, when you take an approved paid vacation, it really hurts your billable hours, and you will be fired if your billable hours for the year don't meet their expectations. This company is set.up for the top paid employees to continue to do better while the ones that work hardest, the techs, get the.most scrutiny and fired easily. Any other testing company would be better to work for.
Pros
few and far between
Cons
you are easily replaced to them
Typical run-of-the-mill geotech company
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 14, 2015
Typical run-of-the-mill geotech company devoid of excitement, ingenuity, or passion. Works most on commercial real estate development that requires very little engineering expertise.
Well meaning but poorly executed
Technician I (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 9, 2015
My location meant well in their actions but this "employee owned" company certainly did not have the employees in mind. As an hourly employee during the summer (our busiest time) they decide instead to hire on 5 unneeded interns to take our hours away. This is not a stable job and the job itself is meticulous, robotic, boring and dull. This is a mind numbing place. Now, I have a college education so this is part of the issue but still, there is so little variation it kills me. The co-workers are nice and the management is mediocre at best, they tend to only care about salaried employees. I learned how to take concrete samples and test for quality of concrete.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Terrible pay, volatile schedules, mediocre management
Diverse Enginieering Company from Electrical, Physical, Environmental, to Construction Materials
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2015
It was a great company to work for. They became like family and made you want to work harder and longer for the good of the company as a whole. I was afforded many opportunities with this company and enjoyed every day working there.
Pros
Excellent benefits and Management
Cons
Nothing. It was a great place to work.
great place to work
Construction Material Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 3, 2015
professional team of engineers and project managers, exposure to a lots of great projects, opportunity for advancement. Long work hours during summer.
Very fun and Challenging
CIVIL ENGINEERING QUALITY CONTROL TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioJuly 15, 2015
Every day was different. Never knew where you were going to be and what you were going to be doing next. Worked many different time shifts to me clients needs
Terrible place.. Horrible bosses
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston TexasJune 7, 2015
Terracon is a bunch of people who think they are someone, needing to always be over your head. You apply for one job and they hire you for another, promising promotion and never getting it. Lab life sucks.
Out of touch management on local office level....
misc. (Former Employee) –  USAFebruary 9, 2015
If you are in management maybe okay. If you only aspire to be a technician it will wear thin....quickly. If you plan on making moves into management, it is your typical run of the mill corporate, back stabbing environment...if you're into that kind of thing.
Pros
great company wide initiative, resources, opportunity and vision.
Cons
aspirations of younger management without enough experience is completely frustrating.
Produtive and carring workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wheatridge ColoradoApril 18, 2015
A typical work day would be greeted in the morning by almost every employ, getting my workload for the day and completing it on time so everyone else job gets done effectively to ensure the success of our company.
Poor first job out of college
CMT Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 4, 2015
The company is big, but good luck getting any sort of career path or opportunity. I was made into a field technician working with guys that have no educational background and abuse prescription drugs. If you really need a job right out of college personally I'd keep looking.
Pros
they give you a truck
Cons
they charge you for the truck