Tesoro

Tesoro Employee Reviews

Tesoro
sales (Former Employee), Talkeetna, Wasilla, AKJune 12, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no lunch breaks
When I started at Tesoro in Talkeetna AK, I started as the deli worker, making all the sandwiches and hot food in the store. I enjoyed doing this. Then they had me work in the stocking the store. Which was fun cause I got to see all the new things that came in. After working there for about 4 years they moved me to Wasilla to help with other stores. All and all Tesoro was a really good place to work. Great staff and management was great to work with. I still talk to all of the people who helped me there.
PRODUCTIVE, FUN, EXCITING, BUT DANGEROUS
Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Carson, CAJune 12, 2015
Pros: LOTS OF OPERTUNITY TO ADVANCE
Cons: DANGEROUS
THE DAY OR NIGHT STARTS AT 5:30AM OR PM WE WORK A ROTATING 12 HOUR SHIFT, YOU RELIEVE THE PERSON THAT WORKED THAT DAY OR NIGHT GETTING THE INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT TOOK PLACE THAT DAY/NIGHT, AND WHAT JOBS ARE TO BE DONE WHILE YOUR ON SHIFT. WE MITE HAVE TO SWITCH TO A SPARE PUMP AND ISOLATE, DRAIN, LOCK AND TAG ALL ISOLATION POINTS, PREPARE THE DOWN PUMP FOR MAINTENANCE. OR MAYBE YOU JUST DO TWO ROUNDS CHECKING TEMPS, PRESSURES OF PUMPS, EXCHANGERS JUST MAKING SURE EVERYTHING IS OK. WRITING WORK ORDERS TO GET THINGS REPAIRED.

I LEARNED HOW TO SHUT THE UNIT DOWN AND START IT UP SAFELY, HOW TO KNOW WHEN AN EXCHANGER IS GETTING FOULED BY TEMP AND PRESSURE DIFFERENTIAL, HOW TO KNOW WHEN A TOWER IS FILLING UP OR EMPTYING OUT BY USING PUMP SUCTION PRESSURE WHEN THE LEVEL INDICATION IS LOST. HOW TO MANAGE AND SUPERVISE LARGE AND SMALL PROJECTS..

THE MANAGERS ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE THEY HAVE ALL BEEN OPERATORS LIKE ME THAT HAVE MOVED UP INTO NEW POSITIONS.

MY CO-WORKERS ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS AND GIRLS THAT LAUGH AND JOKE AROUND AND WORK HARD.

THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS KNOWING THAT A PUMP OR FLANGE CAN FAIL AT ANYTIME STARTING A FIRE OR EXPLOSION THAT COULD INGER OR EVEN KILL PEOPLE, AND WE'RE TRAINED TO FIGHT THAT FIRE, SWITCH PUMPS AND HOPEFULLY SAVE THE UNIT KEEP IT RUNNING AND EVERYONE SAFE.

THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS MY CO-WORKERS.
Very busy work place but fun to work there
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Pasco, WAApril 16, 2015
I loved working here. It gave me new skills and showed me what it is like to work with people in a work setting. I was able to do whatever it took to get through all of the customers on the most busiest day by running both of the registers at the same time.
Different Day everyday
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee), ‘Aiea, HIDecember 31, 2014
Pros: steady income
Cons: no breaks
Being in the customer service/retail business, the was an opportunity to meet and greet various customers. There were regular customers, that encouraged stability, while majority of the time was dealing with new customers. Peer support was good, while management lacked true support.
My worst job
Assistant Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CADecember 30, 2014
Pros: i quit
Cons: worst job ever
The atmosphere is like a high school concentration camp. All gossip. Even managers you cannot respect because they will go behind your back gossiping. Assistant managers get one more dollar for tons more work than CSAs. CSA you get 50 cents during your 6 months then in one whole year you get one whole dollar so on and so forth. Managers are lazy and tend to just come in to close and open the day and make schedules while gossiping with Regional Area Managers who they all often get taken out to lunch. and put most work on assistant managers and CSAs. Assistant managers is just the position that the manager can put all the real work on and get blamed for everything. Three write ups and you're fired even if they didn't teach you everything and just expect you to know it? Safety Audits every single day boring paperwork. Customers have the most ridiculous problems not being able to simply just PUMP gas, they'll yell, they'll steal. You'll have to deal with homeless people think that gas station is the place to beg people for money. You deal with drunk people, women who will squat and number 1 right outside the door. You deal with homeless people who take a number 2 right outside and you have to clean it up. Spills and possible fires. Oh and they have cameras which they use to monitor employees and one little slip up will cost you your minimum wage job.
Nice office and friendly people
Senior Pricebook Coordinator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: solid company
Cons: lay offs
Nice people
laid back environment
good company
great benefits
In house gym
In house med clinic
cafeteria
Productive and challenging place to work
Process Operator (Current Employee), Kapolei, HawaiiSeptember 3, 2014
The refinery job is full of challenges and daily routines are a must to stay efficient at this job. Safety and safety culture is essential to the survival and proficiency of the workplace

Management is normally easily accessed however communication could always be improved

Co-workers are great and have built a camaraderie amongst each other as we all deal with the similar stresses and day to day situations

The most rewarding part of the job is the ability to work together as a team to troubleshoot problems and always come up with solutions that are always safe and environmentally sound.
fun and enjoyable
Customer Service (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 6, 2014
I enjoyed working for Tesoro. The employess were very nice and easy going
accounts payable
Accounts Payable Exception Operator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 6, 2014
accounts payable. office work. I want to work somewhere where I move around and am not sitting around all day. Thanks
Associate (Former Employee), Ukiah, CAApril 29, 2014
Pros: retirement packages
Cons: union fees
My manager was very knowledgable and proffesional. My job was extremely difficult sometimes because there were times when the store was so busy that one cashier was not sufficient. Often my manager would take over the second register in order to elleviate some of the long wait times for customers. I know from experience that this is not common practice and therefore I appreciated his help very much because it took a lot of pressure off of me.
Mangement has military attitude . Looks down on truckers in oil field climate .
Class A Driver Tanker (Former Employee), Dickinson, NDApril 26, 2014
Taxes you on company paid housing ,30,000.00 annually .
Do not finish your day early, you will be in trouble for that .
Spy's on you via DRIVE CAM . Loves to take your safety pay !
Will get you in the door and change your living arrangements
with very little notice , even if you have move your whole family living with you and have you use your vacation days to move where they want to put you . No time to go home if you live outside North Dakota.
Thius was a good place to work.
Sadfety Supervisor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: nice area
Cons: it gets cold there
The people I worked with were great. The company was good and they had a great safety culture.
awesome job
c.s.a (Former Employee), Spokane, WADecember 6, 2013
fast paced people were in and out of gas station and something new everyday count cigarettes stock cooler co workers were awesome manager was great the theft was hard the people were the best
This was a great learning experience.
Controller (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 22, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: travel
Experienced many different jobs with this company. I traveled to different warehouses and was in charge of inventorying all company products.
Was in charge of overseeing all accounting departments.
The working environment was pleasant and comfortable.
I met many interesting and learned people.
The hardest part of the job was traveling. I didn't like being away from my family.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and working with so many different people.
My co-workers were like family. We were together five days a week and we enjoyed working together to better the company..
I participated in several educational training programs.
It was an enjoyable and meaningful work experience.
Cashier/CSA (Former Employee), Kailua-Kona, HIAugust 10, 2013
I enjoyed working at Tesoro. It was a fun and great place to work. Management listened to employees opinion and concerns.
Love the customers
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Magna, UTJuly 13, 2013
I learned a lot about people in general and a lot about myself. I was able to maintain family life and enjoy time off when needed. Management was very involved from top to bottom of the chain and knew me by my first name. They had great training programs.
I enjoy all craft hobbies.
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee), Ephraim,Utah and South Jordan, UtahJuly 9, 2013
I have worked for Tesoro/ Maristar for 5 yrs and enjoyed working for the company. I met a lot of people over the 5 yrs I was with the company.
Great Place to work
Rafractory Inspector (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 17, 2013
Inspection of refractory, Work close with the contractor to insure that the refractory is being install to specifications.
Great Place to work
Customer Service, Cash (Current Employee), Saint George, UTMarch 27, 2013
Pros: very positive atmosphere
Cons: working in to small of an area
I love my job & working with the public on a daily basis.
Very good management & employees
Good company with focused strategy
Consultant (Former Employee), San Antonio TXMarch 3, 2013
Pros: clear focus & direction
Cons: employee knowledge & skills spotty
Good company with focused strategy on refining. Large competitor across town keeps them off the radar

About Tesoro

Once a player in the exploration and production field, Tesoro Corporation (formerly Tesoro Petroleum) has been enjoying a more – Read more

Tesoro Salaries