Tesoro Employee Reviews in United States

Pathetic as an organization
Interviewee (Former Employee) –  SeveralApril 17, 2016
I have interviewed for three opportunities now for Tesoro in various locations and this is the worst, most disorganized bunch of incompetent managerial losers I have ever come across in oil and gas. Their HR is clueless, their management are someone's buddy and their work force obviously could care less... typical union. Of course if you open your mouth...YOU ARE GONE...

I think they hire those who are clueless just so they can look confused when regulators start asking questions... DID THEY NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM ANACORDES WHEN THEY BLEW THAT UP???

APPARENTLY NOT SINCE THE REGULATORS KNOW THAT THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED THEIR LOUSY INCOMPETENT PRACTICES AND ARE STILL TRYING TO GET BY WITH MAYBE THE MINIMUM...

SEE YOU ARROGANT LOSERS ON THE NEWS TESORO!
Cons
Enjoyed the different areas of my job.
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 4, 2016
Tesoro has been a good place to work, its has many good benefits and good individuals to job with. The problem I have found is the lack of communication between departments. I has made my job hard to complete many projects.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Long work days during refinery shutdown. No communication on higher levels.
Great company with very good employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, UTMay 4, 2016
Very long day's but goes by very fast.
Always something to work on.
Management is awesome to work with.
Wonderful co-workers.
At times the job can be very stressful but worth it at the end of the day.
I loved the Management and my co-workers.
Pros
Wonderful employees
Cons
Pay was very low for the type of work that needed to be done.
Procurement Specialist / Requisition Technician
Procurement Specialist / Requisition Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 14, 2016
• Responsibilities include reporting to Procurement Operations, having a critical role in supporting Field Operations groups and the Buyer group in the creation and management of Purchase Requisitions in the SAP system and procurement through SAP based buying channels
Cons
Company cared about employees well being.
Accounting Associate II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 28, 2016
Learned how to balance high volume of work with less stress.
Learned how to communicate with people and work together as a team to accomplish task in a efficient manner.
Pros
Very employee oriented
Cons
not much room for advancement
Its Ok
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Palmer, AKJanuary 27, 2016
Before Tesoro's retail was purchased By Anabi Oils from California Tesoro was a great place to work with chance for career advancement. Now unless you desperately need a job I would high recommend not working for the current Tesoro locations in Alaska. New management, New owners and no more benefits. I Learned a lot about customer service though along with freight check in. Coworkers for the most part where awesome.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, no health benifits, no direct support from managment
Great place to perform all aspects of home renovations,
Residential Renovation Contractor (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYMay 26, 2016
Great company to bring the clients vision to reality. Excellent quality of work and leadership. Constant contact between clients and Owner minimizes issues.
Not very fun place to work at
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJanuary 5, 2016
I learned the benefits of being organized, I worked under a lot of pressure due to periodic inspections and visits from upper level management but it was rewarding to get good scores and encouraging feed backs from my boss, in general I enjoyed working for this company because I became a more knowledgeable manager.
Pros
paid lunch time, 401 k, vacations
Cons
health insurance
Fast paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKDecember 19, 2015
The hardest part of the job was the lack of work/life balance. My days would start out very early and it was expected that I stay late or work more often to get the job done. Some members of upper management were stressful to work for. I got along with most of my co-workers and associates and have maintained friendships with them after leaving the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to travel and work with different people.
Pros
Traveled and met new people.
Cons
Expected to be on call 24/7; days off didn't feel like days off.
overall good place to work.
Field Operation/Maintenance Coordinator/ERT (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, CANovember 23, 2015
worked on operations and Emergency response for the refinery.
Safety is imperative in regards to operations.
I learned to control systems of refining.
worked together with fellow team mates in shutting down and starting up process units.
Worked with the fire brigade responding to emergency calls from the refinery.
Pros
travel for training, good incentives from management.
Cons
Shift work.
Creating a High Performing Culture
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  South Gate, CAJanuary 25, 2016
This is a simple equation for employee retention, process efficiency and organizational success.
"Empowerment, involvement, acknowledgment, accountability and fun; add up to individual growth."
Very busy work load. Fast paced
Rotating Equipment Engineer/Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CADecember 10, 2015
Great place to work and nice people. Long hours but have every other Friday off. A lot of interesting task to work on since a lot of mechanical equipment and process in refinery.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Could be asked to work long hours on weekend
Highly motivated professional with over 15 years of procurement experience, working in fast paced industrial and technical environments
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, CAOctober 11, 2015
Work in a highly fast paced environment providing cross functional support while maintaining positive working relationships with refinery Team leaders, Managers, Supervisors, Engineers, Contractors, Planners, and Suppliers.
Provide procurement support for all departments; Capital Projects, Maintenance, Turnaround teams and peer groups within the refinery
Clickish organization
Current Field Employee (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 7, 2015
Corporate management has great intentions however; the field does what it wants. Success and enjoyment on the job depend greatly on the individual manager rather than a singular corporate culture. In many locations you are either "one of the boys" or you are not. If you are not, forget advancement or recognition of any sort. Extremely difficult for women to advance in portions of the organization.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Good 'Ol Boy veteran managers
Productive and fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CANovember 16, 2015
Everyday was a new challenge but I was always ready to tackle new challenges. I learned on how to be patience and confident. My manager was very supporting and he was always there to help me. co-workers were encouraging.
Pros
Supportive Management
Cons
Too much overtime
Not a great place to work
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Mandan, NDJanuary 13, 2016
Had to come in as a relief operator. Didn't know your schedule and some good supervisors but overall treatment wasn't good
Pros
coworkers
Cons
bad management
Process improvement with high collaborative organization
Corporate Senior Health & Safety Leader (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 1, 2015
A growing company with many opportunities. I enjoy working with my co-workers on projects that facilitate standardization and successful, repeatable and sustainable processes. The systems that are being developed represent a much smaller company that was in place just a few years ago.
Pros
Growing and profitable company
Cons
Growing and most systems represent a much smaller company
Good co with great people to work with
Construction Superintendent/Engineering support (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 28, 2015
Travel to multiple job sites everyday to have projects done on time, within budget, safely, and according to blue prints, electrical schematics, DOT, NEC and all regulatory agencies
Management depended on us with very little interference
Worked well with our engineering department on front end loading, planning, and scheduling.
Pros
Freedom of planning my own schedule
Cons
Work long hrs. Closest job site was 2/3 hrs one way.
company potential is there if propper leadership was aquired
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKSeptember 9, 2015
Company overworks there employees and there grossly underpaid. High volume customer interaction, cleaning, and fuel clean up. You will be expected to complete many tasks while helping customers with the understanding you will never meet upper managements goals.
Pros
At least you have a job
Cons
It happens to be with this company
Great place to learn SAP, use alot of modules
Shared Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 4, 2015
This company was a great training ground for me to learn SAP. They use a lot of SAP modules and their technology for the most part was very up to date. The SAP IT team was very strong. We did several enhancements when I was there. We purchased the Shell Refinery in Long Beach when I was there. It was a lot of work, but I learned a ton about acquiring new business units.
Management was very loose when fiscal times were good, but when the crack spread was low per barrel, no mistakes or gone.
Pros
Great SAP ERP learning
Cons
Up and down management