Tetra Tech Employee Reviews

Fairfax - IT Div - Worst Nigtmare
Senior developer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 23, 2013
In my 15 yrs experience, the IT division in the Fairfax location is the WORST I have been in.
The director of this division has no clue what professional etiquette means. He runs that place like a sweat shop. VERY HARSH working conditions. Very easy 15+hr days. He micromanages and just depletes the last drop of energy from his workforce. Very poor work acknowledgement and appreciation. End of a week that you have slaved logging 15+hr days, the last you want to hear is that you were no good. He has a loose tongue and just is ready to throw harsh criticisms. I have always been appreciated for my work ethics and the quality in what I produce. In previous jobs, I have lead teams and projects to successful deployments. Here, I would have been surprised if I was able to take a lunch/restroom break.
He underestimates the workload and goes around saying that 'you have gone over the estimated time for a task, so you have to eat up the hours you worked over'. End of the day, you are (of course) over the time limit and still have more work to be completed according to his estimation. Even after working for unbelievable hours, you getting paid for the 40 hrs/wk is an over-stretch. You end up eating up your paid leave to make up for the time he refuses to acknowledge.
When a Director walks into a meeting with IT professionals, in his ripped up gym clothes and sweat dripping from his face (because he worked out up to the minute the meeting had to start) shows how much he respected and cared professionally for his team.
I am surprised that he is still allowed to manage the Division. He brings
  more... in negligible amount of new work and has no human value.
It is only a matter of time someone sues Tetra-Tech for such abuse and harassment, before they open their eyes and let him go.
Pros
commute
Cons
abusive and harrassing director
Strict work environment with no room for advancement
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 4, 2015
TetraTech Technical Services is a part of TetraTech that calls business and customers of utilities to ask them about a program that the utility provided to them recently. The utilities want to know how well the program did and what it didn't do.

This workplace is a mix of incoming and outgoing call center, but it's mostly outgoing. There is a script and you have to read it verbatim with none of your own dialogue when speaking with the customer. They want to have an unbiased feedback to give to the client. This is what is called the phone lab.

Handling these calls is a typical day in the office. The hardest part of my job was staying on script. When I worked in previous call centers, they allowed you a certain freedom to help the customer. This freedom was not allowed in the phone lab.

The most enjoyable part of my job was completing a survey with a customer. I enjoyed calling the west coast as they were very willing to do the surveys with us rather than the east coast which wouldn't give us the time to go through the survey with them.

All in all, this company's services are needed and they offer a critical service to utilities. However, as a work environment, it needs more attention to their employees.
Pros
stable job employment
Cons
shifty management, no room for advancement, less than 40 hours a week.
Worst place I've worked and I have 20 years of experience.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 14, 2013
Good pay, great office facility and physical amenities but that's it. Endless Internal financial accountability to the point where no work is getting done. Incredibly talented staff, stifled by lackluster operational structure and poorly trained management, mainly in place due to attrition. Good design takes a back seat to a good quarterly report. Lack of adequate backlog in the buildings group. Firm hires employees away from stable companies and positions within other firms by enticing with high wages but drops employees quickly regardless of promises or performance. A revolving door of highly qualified but lower quartile performers (sales) are dropped regularly. Be prepared to sell or be laid off regardless of your position.
Pros
facilities are nice, talented architects and engineers
Cons
lack of adequate management, poor operations, all about the numbers
Great place to work, could be manged a little better though.
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  BellevueJune 3, 2014
On a typical day we would try and find out which job was the most important for that day and try and complete as much work as possible.

Management wasn't the greatest, not a lot of communication between Project managers and the CADD department.

The people there are fun to work with and are culturally diverse, I worked with a lot of fun and unique people.

Hardest part of the job was trying to convince management to allow the CADD group to further their education pertaining to new software, rather than send us to a class they would prefer we just go through tutorials and try and learn the software on our own and on our own time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working on some unique projects and seeing them get completed, Panama Canal, Dams, Locks, Bridges etc.
Pros
free parking
Cons
not the best commute to and from work
Fun on technical side and a mess on management side
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 24, 2012
In my last 5 years with Tetra Tech, I did learn a lot on engineering side as well as project management side. I had a chance to work with multi-discipline engineers and multi-discipline internal/external teams that increased the breadth of my engineering knowledge. The biggest negative point is poor upper management. Tetra Tech is reluctant to send people for training for some reasons and there is absolutely no planning for career development from the department manager's side or HR side. The most enjoyable part of the job inspite of all the frustration from the chain above was variety of stuff that you get to work on which kept me going and interested.
Worst company/work place I have Ever worked for
Environmental planner (Former Employee) –  Boulder, ColoradoNovember 4, 2012
In my 17 years as an environmental professional this is the worst place I ever worked (I lasted 9 months in the Boulder office). Consulting is a tough world, but I had terrible management, work load issues and no support from other staff. You are basically a consultant witin the company who needs to find their own work within the conpany. This leads to constant uncertainty. This model is similar to Ch2mhill (Bellevue Wa) office-terrible model for business.
Pros
dog friendly
Cons
management, work model, endless internal financial reports
Very nice company to work with.
Consultant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Morris Plains, NJAugust 17, 2012
Working for Tetra Tech was not like working but more of like getting task done and move on to the next project, I have learned alot from Tetra Tech. The management was very supportive and educational to my needs in my career. My co-worker worked more like a team and family always supportive and helpful. Their was nothing hard about working with Tetra Tech all my resourch was right at my finger tips. The most enjoyable part of working with Tetra Tech was the appreciation that I receive for working with them.
Pros
ability to extend my career
I think we took too much time off work while work needed to be done.
Foreman/Operator (Former Employee) –  Stokesdale, NCOctober 16, 2013
They are an out of town company. They took too much time off work due to weather when other things could have been done. I have been on job sites for over 25 years and can look ahead and tell what needs to be done. I feel like the hardest part of the job was not working when things could have been done in other areas such as erosion control and hammering rock. The best part of the job was that it was a thirty minute drive from home.
Pros
close to home and good pay
Cons
not working full weeks when weather permitted
Dysfunctional Corporate Structure
Project Professional (Former Employee) –  Associated with the Golden OfficeAugust 20, 2014
On the Project level there are some very competent skilled staff but at the engineering level there is poor communication, little understanding of constructability and no concept of deadlines.
Mid and upper management is arrogant, vindictive and disrespectful.
Do not expect promises made during the hiring process to be honored. And do not expect any support from the HR department. Any concerns shared shall be used against you.
Pros
good salary
Cons
hostile work environment and lack of corporate integrity
most days entering expense reports, scanning, make copies, trouble shooting with xerox machines and making sure they were up and running
Administrative Assistant /Office Support (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAAugust 22, 2014
inter act with co-workers, helping to keep office machines running keep them loaded with paper and supplies, getting expense reports prepared, reviewed and submitted in timely manner, receive mail and parcels, ship out parcels, straighten up conference rooms. On occasion lunches would be provided,
Pros
great group of people to work with
Cons
job ended due to elimination of position
High level, competent people with 0 interpersonal skills
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 15, 2014
A lot of intelligent, capable, experienced people within the organization, but the culture is sorely lacking with regards to humanity. Utilization is heavily pushed, while leaving the more junior people at risk for no work. Within a certain department, a 10 hour overhead cap forces the employee to "supplement" hours with their own paid time off.
Pros
job/industry experience, good benefits
Cons
utilization, communication, management
Needs new leadership
Senior Executive (Former Employee) –  EASJanuary 18, 2013
Company buys small local firms then uses resources to make local presence. Does not follow through on marketing efforts.
Downturn handle poorly. Layoffs at any downturn.
Company culture and values opposite of marketing on website.
They promise rewards for excellence, but fail to execute. Expendable even after exceptional continual meeting of quotas, deadlines, client feed back, margins and successful projects.
Cons
no advancement.
Dedicated and fun co-workers, flexible work hours, good projects and clients
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2015
Very diverse projects with dedicated and talented co-workers. I learned something new every day even after 20+ years. Hardest part of the job was the constant pressure to remain billable. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to solve problems for our clients, especially with the help of good co-workers.
Pros
Great flexibility
Cons
Pressure to stay billable
Some great people but horrible management
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  SeattleAugust 17, 2013
There are many great people here but senior management and genuine staff support are lacking. Corporate claims are one thing, some offices are probably much better, but practice in this office is something entirely different - the importance of people is not understood. Management is dysfunctional.
Pros
clean office, free coffee
Cons
senior management, direction, focus, message clarity, etc. etc. etc.
It's your typical engineering/consulting firm
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Golden, COSeptember 4, 2014
I've worked in more than one, and this is a typical engineering/consulting firm. There are some great people, and there are some you'd rather not deal with. If management could inspire the staff to work together, instead of allowing pockets of insanity to reign, it would be a great place to work.
Pros
good location
Cons
time off policy, 0 sick time
amzing and fun atmosphere
Monitor (Current Employee) –  CAFebruary 1, 2016
overall a great job to have if you enjoy working outdoors. job security is not what i would call a part time position with this company but the people are all amazing and it gives you a little inside into everything that goes into helping others who have lost it all.
Pros
always changing, outdoors, and very fun
Cons
can be a little hard during rain to do this job.
Incredible Place To Work
Civilian Contractor (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GeorgiaJuly 1, 2014
Originally got on with TetraTech through a staffing Agency. Everyone was courteous, knowledgeable, & willing to teach you anything you needed to know. The pay rate was incredible & I was always able to get forty hours a week. I would love to possibly work for them again.
Pros
challenging work, great pay, phenomenal benefits
Quiet Work Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 31, 2015
I coordinate in-house trainings at our location as well as off-site trainings from start to finish. Registrations, billing, putting together packets, nametags, certificates and ordering lunches. Along with many processes in between. I enjoy meeting new people and helping them with administrative needs.
Tetra Tech
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, Irvine, Tucson, PaysonNovember 16, 2011
I worked there through good times and bad. During the good times things were great, but the bad times everyone took a hit. the company was split into many different business groups that competed for work with little sharing of resources.
Pros
worked on many different types of projects
Cons
unable to secure sustainable work
Management Bad
Engineer (Former Employee) –  western USMarch 13, 2015
They will let you go with NO notice. Work you hard and keep bonuses for upper management. You are just a tool to them BUT if you are in the old boy's network you can lie about your education and NOT get fired just demoted and keep your Millions. Very disappointing.
Pros
liked the work
Cons
management all the way to the top is terrible