STATUS: Hourly (12 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Religious Education Committee and Pastor
PRELIMINARY PURPOSE (Basic Function):
Under the direction of the Religious Education Committee and the Pastor, the successful individual will assist with the responsibility for organizing, developing and managing the youth groups of Tewksbury Congregational Church (TCC) including the Sunday morning education of the senior high class during the course of the TCC school year.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work with volunteer leaders and provide leadership to both the Junior High and Senior High Youth groups.
2. Will teach and help lead a Senior High Sunday morning class.
3. Will teach and model faith among the Youth of TCC, both at a leadership level and with the youth groups.
4. Will use contemporary media effectively in worship and teaching, including music and film.
5. Spend adequate time with students and families of TCC to know individuals and minister to them.
6. Encourage and integrate fellowship, discipleship and evangelism into all church related programs.
7. Works with ministry teams related to youth and family ministry.
8. Participate in other pastoral functions as assigned by the Pastor
9. Assumes other responsibilities and performs related duties as assigned.
10. May supervise associate youth staff and pastoral interns.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Must be a dedicated professional who demonstrates strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, as well as energy, vision, and charisma.
- Possess a discipleship focus, encouraging a deepening faith in those who seek to grow.
- Organized, analytical and detailed-oriented individual capable of performing under a variety of requirements and deadlines.
- Ability to exercise authority and good judgment in the absence of or in conjunction with the Pastor and other church leaders in a variety of situations, demonstrating exceptional leadership characteristics and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work both independently and as a part of a team environment performing all essential job functions accurately and efficiently with minimal direct supervision, while also cooperating/collaborating with staff at all levels as a member of the church community.
- Possess the ability to determine priorities specifically in terms of anticipating and reacting to highly complex and confidential situations.
- Possess a strong sense of personal and professional integrity, exercising tact and diplomacy.
- Must be willing and able to represent Tewksbury Congregational Church and the United Church of Christ (UCC) effectively in situations of significant importance to the present and future successes of the church.
- Must be able to articulate and communicate clearly the church’s philosophical backgrounds, missions, and present/future goals; acting as an advocate and a representative for the church at all times.
- Familiar with the major issues present in the realm of Christian education.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree is desired.
- A minimum of two years of experience working with youth in a church setting. Direct experience in the field of education and planning youth activities preferred.