Texas A&M AgriLife Employee Reviews

Poultry Science Research Center is interesting place to work; constant learning opportunities available
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJanuary 8, 2017
Typical day of work at the POSC Research Center mainly entails several monotonous tasks involving test-running, sample-collecting, histology work...great position for anyone looking for a lab-coat career!
Pros
Good experience oppurtunities
Hardworking and productive workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 18, 2014
Depending on daily needs, I worked the field maintaining crops, equipment, irrigation systems, and gathering data as needed. I occasionally worked in greenhouse, planting and caring for plants. Most days would finish work at five, but from time to time I had to work late or weekends and holidays.

I learned how to maintain crops, farm and research equipment, and how to run and maintain irrigation systems. The work wasn't very difficult, it was just very tiring and time consuming; having good co-workers was a big help. The hardest part of the job was working out in the heat and making sure to keep myself and other workers hydrated.
Pros
Great benefits, job advancement opertunities
Wonderful environment with friendly coworkers
Student Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXFebruary 26, 2016
I loved my position with Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Services! The job included emailing representatives across the state to record data they collected and place the information in files for A&M records. I helped with shipments and financial disbursments between representatives and A&M Agrilife and acted as a record keeper to streamline their business. I loved my job, I had a wonderful office I shared with another student worker and was able to contact any office personel any time I needed help and felt welcomed everyday I worked there! The hardest part of the job was overcoming my own personal anxiety handling phone calls but this was also rewarded with the enjoyable part which was having the confidence that I always knew I was doing my job well. Nothing I did made me feel inadequate or unsure of what I was working on, it was straight forward and easy to manage while I was in school.
Pros
Office, easy to manage, welcoming atmosphere
Cons
Worked under a grant
Hard working place that had a lot to teach.
Student Worker/Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Bushland, TXSeptember 7, 2014
My job was usually a mix between field work and lab work. There was a period of a year where most of my work revolved around lab work. During this time I managed my own research project in sugar beet pathology. Field work included collecting data/samples for research and maintaining the current research crops. Lab work included various molecular protocols that involved DNA/RNA synthesis and PCR work. I enjoyed my co-workers and we had a great team of people that worked hard and always got our work done with quality and in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was working in the field during the summer months under intense heat. The most enjoyable part was working in the lab.
Pros
Good people and experience
Cons
low pay no benefits
Nice Place to work
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXAugust 19, 2014
Very Nice management and friendly co-workers but Salary is low
Pros
Near to my House
Not what I expected
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Station TexasJune 4, 2014
I received almost no initial training, other than the location of the kitchen, and I found my own office by walking around the building until I found my name on the door. I still am unsure of all the tasks I should be doing, even after inquiring frequently, yet when I try to perform simple tasks, I am often micromanaged to the point where the supervisor stands over my shoulder watching me type an e-mail, and then and says "now click SEND." I am extremely dissatisfied with this organization, and will be a "former employee" just a soon as I can arrange it.
Pros
I get weekends off, mostly. (even though the supervisor sends me e-mails and texts at night).
Cons
Leadership is weak to non-existent, there is no training, and poor, if any orientation.
Poor management!
EXTENSION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  WACO TEXASJuly 23, 2015
Poor management, indecisive supervisor, micromanaged my work, no office space or area to work in on first day at work, office space was set up by myself and co-worker in a closet/storage area. We built and put together our own desks, chairs, computers and storage and filing system. 85% Is travel or out of office. Glorified sales person having to meet a number every quarter to teach a grant funded class that is not informative nor helpful to the underprivileged and expenses for marketing come out of pocket initially and reimbursed if approved.Odd hours and very late hours and flex time is offered but supervisor will approve upon her discretion. Immediate supervisor is not knowledgeable on grant and grant manager is new at grant program. Constant changes on rules and creativity or personal feedback is frowned upon on. Morale is low and uncomfortable and high stress for little pay. Hard work is not appreciated and holiday schedule is the same as the county's. Negative environment to work in, constant travel and constant change by program manager and immediate supervisor, very click-y management personnel which prompted to gossip and bias decisions. Not worth the commute, stress, and constant micromanagement with no assistance from. Terrible place to work at, concerns and open door policy does not apply, you will get yelled at and treated like a kid. Initial perception is positive but once you make a mistake (learning job on your own) you will be scolded and the negative change will slowly begin.
Pros
NO PROS
Cons
TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT- HIGH STRESS, NEGATIVE ENVIRONMENT
Research Assistant for Professor. Great experience
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  college station, texasMay 27, 2015
Worked for professor on industrial wastewater treatment technology. Learned chemical analysis, continuous flow treatment and gained lab experience. Overall great experience.
Pros
good experience
Cons
time consuming
Great Job to travel if funds permit.
County Extension Agent (Former Employee) –  TXFebruary 24, 2014
Good people to work with. Nice chance to travel to conferences and meetings all over the state. Real close group of employees.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Lack of funds
great place to work
educator (Former Employee) –  ccorpus ChristianJanuary 10, 2014
Its a great place to work . you will. always. find growth. with this company..
Pros
helping others
I got to work independently most of the time
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXNovember 13, 2014
Faculty members are usually busy with their own work and you are left to do the work at your own pace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas A&M AgriLife. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8