Texas A&M University Employee Reviews

Paper becomes your best friend, not so much the printer
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXDecember 23, 2015
Typically, I was in charge of everyday office maintenance which included refilling printers with toner, paper, staples, etc., and straightening up the all offices before professors arrived in need of assistance. When the department head left the office for wither lunch of class, my responsiblilities were to record any missed calls and answer any questions within my realm of knowledge of the school for the caller at hand. Occasionally, an instructor (professor, asst. professor, graduate student, etc.) would need assistance with either an upcoming event of classroom assignments/projects of which I will give my full undivided attention to help complete any requests they may have for me. These requests could range for something more time demanding such as brochure designing and event place booking, to something as simple as making 50+ copies in a specific order, or simply being capable of understanding printer error codes during a printer malfunction.

From employment at the Psychology, Counseling, and Special Education Department of Texas A&M University - Commerce, I would review my overall learning experience as a fair challenge to my time management and organization skill. You also obtain an increased knowledge on easing the tension of angry callers, rushed instructers, and enrolled/potential graduate students who come for a visit with the intent to "tell-us-how-it-is".

If anything, the hardest part of the job would be to approach an someone and inform them that their attempt to incorrectly fix a problem would possibly lead to the problem becoming worse than it already
  more... is, and they are unwilling to listen you. Being an minimum-wage, easily replaceable, student worker tends to set that challenge more than it should, but I do enjoy the feeling of stopping them before any real damage comes into play for equipment.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the positive attitude of the overall workplace.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Very strict clock-in/ clock-out system
Outstanding and knowledgeable faculty. Immense resources. Opportunities abound if you like participating in projects outside your standard scope.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXFebruary 3, 2015
I work mostly with gas discharges (plasma), and I have had opportunities to investigate plasma applications in the chemical processing of crude oil, flow control over airfoils, generation of high energy particles, thin films for medical applications, and switching kilovolts at kHz frequencies. When I am not instructing upper level undergrad labs/classes I work in my research lab where I get to use equipment such as oscilloscopes, vacuum systems, spectrometers, scanning electron microscopes, gas chromatographs, rheometers, profilometers and many other tools. Projects require knowledge of thermodynamics, transport phenomena, circuits, electromagnetics, material properties and design/fabrication techniques. A formal report/presentation is given to the research sponsors at the end of a project. In addition to research, I volunteer with the Industrial Assessment Center (IAC), which is a DOE sponsored organization that promotes energy end-use and process efficiency to small businesses. The IAC will evaluate current practices of a business and recommend financially attractive modifications. Recommendations from the visit are prepared in a report and delivered to senior level personnel.
Great Experience
Internship - NSF REU (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXNovember 16, 2013
As a student just beginning my studies in Aerospace Engineering, the NSF REU Aerospace Program at Texas A&M helped me focus what I wanted to study in Aerospace Engineering.

A typical day included the attendance of a GRE and leadership workshop as well as heading to the laboratory to run tests that would be used for the final presentation.

In terms of management, there were certain flaws specifically to the Aerospace department. Certain logistics were not reliable, lack of information caused many of us to have reimbursement problems, and organization of program was not there.

However with that said, the program did function well and did gain a lot of knowledge including working in the wind tunnels and running tests, to gather sample data from an observed group of people.

One of the hardest part of the job was developing the journal paper and creating the research poster. As with any presentation, a large sum of information has to be filtered and arranged so that it can be display in a coherent manner.

The most enjoyable part of the job is enjoying the off work hours with fellow co-workers, allowing us to develop friendships and networks that are still viable today.
Pros
stipend, experience, networking, friendships, field trips
Cons
organization, lack of more (expected) field trips, lack of leadership
A great place for learning
Career Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 10, 2014
As an intern I learned so much at Texas A&M University- Corpus Christi. The environment is conducive to learning everything you need to know about becoming a Career Counselor. A typical work day consisted of working directly with students regarding various elements of career development, resume writing, job searching, interviewing strategies, career explorations, and reviewing career assessment results. I have had the opportunity to work with a diverse population of students, including domestic and international students, the campus community, and the public. My co-workers and boss were always willing to help or contribute when I asked for advice with students and even let me sit in on some of their counseling sessions to observe their counseling style. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help students, they would come in visibly distraught and feeling the pressures of being a student, trying to find their way, and setting themselves up in their careers. When a student left feeling significantly better and making choices and moves in the right direction for their career paths it made becoming a Career Counselor all worth it.
Pros
networking
Cons
higher education politics
Volunteer Research Assistant-- Personality Study
Customer Service Climate Research Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TexasJune 22, 2012
While attending Texas A&M University, I volunteered to help conduct a personality study. The study focused on comparing people's perceptions of self within a work shift with their perceived performance through the vantage point of customers. A typical day of volunteering would include calling business to ask if they would be interested in the study, arriving on location to conduct the survey research at distinct points throughout an employee's work shift, and compiling and submitting the data collected in the study into an excel template that ultimately would allow the research team to draw conclusions about the correlation amongst the factors taken into consideration. I had no co-workers for the majority of the study, only a research head who would instruct me to do various tasks depending on the day. The hardest part of the job was convincing businesses to include themselves in the study, the most enjoyable part of the study was meeting people and explaining the nature of the study to them.
Great research laboratory
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJune 28, 2012
The Riverside Energy Efficiency Laboratory (REEL) has several research and job capabilities. It's primary focus is air flow, sound quality, and psychrometric testing although there has been specialized testing such as heat conduction testing.

The lab has amazing, friendly people. This comes from both the working staff and the graduate students who work in the laboratory. Everyone has their particular responsibilities, but everyone also chips in assistance for anyone who needs it. This also allows someone to learn about the other projects happening in the laboratory.

The laboratory works with the industry by offering testing services. This results in client interaction and meeting new people on about a biweekly basis. Overall, the social environment between working with the people in the laboratory and client makes REEL a great research laboratory.
Pros
ideal working facility, secluded from campus and plenty of space.
Cons
lab was under a few changes that deterred from my research although that time should be past.
Opportunity was given to me and I am thankful. I believe if I had not gotten hired on at the post office I could see myself advancing at TAMU.
Clerical Work (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXFebruary 4, 2014
I must indeed say that a typical day at work was great for me as well as challenging. Over thirty years ago, my typing speed was about 80/4 and I did go to many interviews before I was hired. I learned that I could do this. Just listen, follow orders, read and can all you learn. It was at TAMU when the Apple Computers came out and one of the professors would log me in and I would type and he would come and do the rest, etc.. Otherwise, I typed on a electrical type-writer or the word processor. Management were great and my co-workers were nice. In some of the offices they were somewhat older ladies, but nice. The hardest part of the job was taking control, afraid that I would fail, not realizing that is a part of life. Being confident in what I was doing and enjoying every moment of it.
Pros
comp-time, if you had to work thru lunch or late to finish a project.
Cons
depends on the projects, not enough time in the day to complete.
worked on several projects the lab was working on
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXMay 3, 2015
• Aided in a study that involved the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD), where juvenile red drum otoliths were extracted for which were used for stable isotope testing and aging. This research will be used to relate habitat characteristics to the frequency of red drum occurrence in three separate bay areas across the Gulf of Mexico.
• Participated in an early life ecology study of snapper species along the Texas coast. This study was conducted by the Fisheries Ecology lab, NOAA, and TPWD.
• Sorted and identified larval fish (swordfish, marlin, tuna, flying fish, and dolphin fish) species from nekton and bongo net tow samples.
• Identified different species of larval tuna (big eye, blue fin, yellow fin, and black fin) both visually and through running genetic tissue samples.
• Limited exposure to acoustic telemetry tracking through tagging Gulf flounder off the Galveston coastline.
Pros
Provided me skills to work in a laboratory setting
Exciting laboratory always advancing the field of Livestock Biotechnology
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXApril 22, 2013
On a daily basis we get to see the success of our laboratory work in the over 30 transgenic animals (sheep, goats, cattle, and pigs) we have in the pastures and pens out the windows of our lab. We have combined upcoming molecular biology tools with assisted reproductive techniques to advance the field of animal agriculture. I have become an expert in cell and molecular biology techniques as well as assisted reproductive technologies. As a senior member of the lab at TAMU, I have honed the skills of a project manager, directing a research team and facilitating new member training. I have developed high standards of communication, to those under my direction, as well as to the senior investigators in the lab.
Pros
diverse skill set in molecular biology and assisted reproductive technologies
Cons
always changing projects and focused on the end goal. poor student development and mentoring
Great University
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJune 25, 2015
I loved attending school at TAMUK. As a TAMUK Dietetic Intern, I completed the comprehensive didactic program of 1200 hours in the practice of: 15 weeks of clinical health care (Medical Nutrition Therapy rotations), 8 weeks of food service management, and 7 weeks of community nutrition. The TAMUK-Dietetic Internship’s focus is in Medical Nutrition Therapy, and thus the majority of my experience was spent in multiple hospital settings using critical thinking skills to assess patients and to make nutrition-related decisions to deliver the best patient care. I provided patient education, assessments and consultations to a wide range of patients with a variety of health care conditions. I developed communications skills between the healthcare team that I worked with, as well as with the South Texas, largely Hispanic, population located near the American-Mexican border.
Reason for leaving: Completed my dietetic internship.
Provide professional and exceptional service.
Acting Users Services Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 9, 2015
Attend constant calls or emails from users requesting help with their computer equipment.
Attend meetings with department heads in the search for solutions to provide the best of the technology in classrooms or conference rooms for teachers to provide a better class to the students and these become familiar with new teaching methods and new technology and new programs to be used in their future work.
Attend meetings with the Help desk staff and the Desktop computer technicians to find out their needs in their areas so they can continue providing a professional service to the users.
Attend meetings with vendors to learn from them new software or new technology that can be used at the University for the benefit of all our users and the university community in general (administrators, teachers and students) .
Pros
good retirement plan.
Cons
no much room to grow up.
Witnessing someones dreams coming true to go to college
Senior Office Assistant/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXMarch 16, 2013
Typical work day was helping prospective students with their applications by answering questions and entering their applications and reviewing applications, transcripts and other important application information
What I learned a new database, the ins/outs of the application process from the prospective student side and the admissions and records side, how to delegate,
Management team was fantastic, understanding, helpful and great teachers of life.
Co-Workers were team players to a point, but all away around great people to work with
The hardest part of my job was sending out rejection letters and explaining why when the prospective students called.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a prospective students dream come true
Pros
health benefits, prospective students
Cons
health benefits, counselors
I have learned a lot but pay, stress, and lack of room to grow has me moving on.
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXMarch 7, 2013
My typical day at work begins with checking and updating social media. Then I work on tasks that consist of re-sizing a photo, downloading photos from the camera, fixing any errors detected on our website. I then go to lunch. After lunch I work on large projects (magazine layout, webdesign, graphic design work, etc.). Peppered throughout my week are events that I need to take photos at.

I have learned office skills, CMS, CSS, and that Google helps with most anything else I run into that I am not knowledgeable in.

The management, while mostly helpful, tends to be unsteady at best.

I work very closely with my boss as we are only a two person department. It is emotionally stressful with only two people covering a whole campus.

I love when I am able to lose myself in a design.
Pros
great stepping stone.
Cons
low pay, high stress, no room for growth
A casual work atmosphere with the Department of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
Graduate Assistant, Data Analyst - IT Department (Current Employee) –  College Station, TexasApril 5, 2013
My typical day at work would be where I would be assigned task to complete on developing a website or updating the same. Also I am responsible for content management of the website. I would receive e-mails requesting for content updates or deletion. The thing that I learned when working here is time and task management. I learnt how to prioritize my tasks and keep the work rolling smoothly. We have the best team to work with and all are helpful towards each other. The hardest part of my job is to know what tasks to prioritize and which ones needs to be give higher importance. The most enjoyable part of the job is my team who I work with, the people who I meet and share my day with. There are a lot of things that I learn everyday from my work and I love working here
A major university with some problems.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXFebruary 5, 2015
I worked as a student employee so I can't comment on regular employee jobs. The pay is far too low to adequately offset the cost of education there. The "student employee" health plan is exactly the same as the "student" plan. Switching from one department to another requires a whole new employee file to be created. The different departments, and even professors and staff within a department, don't seem to communicate with each other much. Nobody knows how the school's resources are distributed, who has what special equipment, or what their neighbors are working on for research. I would recommend working here only as a last resort if you can't find any other "student jobs" in town.
Pros
staff tries to be helpful, works around student schedule
Cons
low pay, confusing management structure, poor inter-department communications
Work Study, Nice people and Good experience.
Supervisor, Amy Manning (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXMarch 6, 2014
My typical day at work would start out with me looking to see if we had any jobs in the in box for the professors /graduate students. After filling the jobs the next step is to check the mail and distributing it in the proper boxes. While filling the jobs I would answer the phones and transfer calls to the proper office or take messages.

Another part of the job would be to do errands whether personal or professional for the supervisors.

The best part of my job would be that I was able to learn office operations and work on my course studies when the office was slow.

The hardest part of the job was that some of the professors were wanting their work done first even though they were not the most urgent orders put in.
Pros
flexible hours and the ability to work on my studies.
Cons
structure of office decorum..
Cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Commerce, TXMarch 30, 2015
I enjoy working at the store. The fellow employees are nice and casual people. The managers know what to say and how to phrase wording so that customers are not upset. The work flow can be brainless but I enjoy rush times where I can keep shelves stocked and help customers with any and most issues that arise. I learned how to run the registers and do returns, book buy-backs and most customer service. If I can not help a customer I always ask them if they would like to talk to the manager in charge.
The hardest part is my Tuesday/Thursday's because I am upfront by myself and do not have the ability to roam the store sorting and organizing the stock. I just can stare at is and make a list of what needs to be fixed when a coworker comes in.
Pros
fun employees, experienced managers, good hours
Cons
skeleton crew at a few hours, college kids complaining about money.
Productive, fun and diverse environment to work in!
Community Adviser (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJune 1, 2014
As a Community Adviser in Texas A & M University-Kingsville Residents life, I truly enjoy the culturally diverse interactions among students and faculty members. It was an environment of motivated workers and very productive. A typical day at work consisted of paper filling, escorting, answering telephone, filling mail, handling confidential and sensitive information of residents as well as portraying great communication and customer service. Every little part of the job was extremely enjoyable, sometimes we had late night conflicts that we must solve to ease the residents stay and we early starts, either way, it was an enjoyable experience, especially interaction I built among students and my self.
Pros
cultural diversity, professional environment
Texas A&M Univeristy is an honor to work for.
Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXNovember 6, 2013
Thru this position I worked for Texas A&M University in Austin, Texas. I worked from home and I was out in the field recruiting students from over 40 high schools to assist them with applying to Texas A&M. I was a recent college graduate and to have my first job working from home I believe it has made me a stronger candidate because I had to be self motivated to insure that I was on top of everything. If my next job were to be in an office setting I would be able to perform my work duties with little supervision due to the fact that I am already an independent worker. The hardest part of my job was working with students all year knowing that not everyone would get admitted. The one thing that always made me happy was when a student thanked me for my help.
Work and fun place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJune 10, 2015
The best place to work as it was my school too. It was the best day when it was my colleagues birthday, everyone enjoyed to the fullest. Everyone made a special dish at lunch and arranged fun activities. Here, I learned to manage the situations in a good way. My co-workers were very polite and helpful, they used to guide me if I was going wrong in any situation. I got the confidence and judgement skills with their help. I used to teach the undergraduate students and help them with their homeworks/assignments. I even helped them to accomplish in their projects (which was tough part, as I need to learn all the basics of their projects and learn the skills according to it). But, still I enjoyed it a lot and enhanced my knowledge too.
Pros
Great food and ambience

4.4