Texas A&M University Employee Reviews

Great co-workers, no advancement
Computer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXNovember 14, 2016
I'm an IT tech at TAMU CVM, and while you'll meet plenty of great people and get to see some new tech, you're not going to climb anywhere. You're not going to get trained well, and management uses the 'other duties as assigned' to give you more work. If you don't want to be overrun, don't let on that you know more than you were hired on for.
Pros
Great people to work with, benefits are good
Cons
Paid pennies for T1 helpdesk support, micromanagement with poor training
Not recommended
IT Consultant for Columbia Advisory Group (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXSeptember 22, 2016
Very poor experience. There is a self appointed kingdom consisting of a systems admin who will pick you apart and bad mouth you to your boss, and has all the warmth and empathy of a shark. He essentially runs the department.

Benefits? They begin after a YEAR of employment, if you make it that far.

Saw two guys leave before me, and I was only there for 5 months.

Worse than no support, this company was depressing and belittling to work for.

I have over 15 years experience as a Systems Administrator. It isn't my first go around.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Depressing and the survival rate is zero.
Fun to work and learn at one place
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXFebruary 6, 2017
I worked in a place where I learned a lot. Developed some of the project related to web development and designing the university web page.

There was a perfect balance for job and studies during my masters.
The management has provided scholarship and other benefits like health insurance.
TEEX Associate Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXJanuary 6, 2017
Fantastic facility. Meeting people from all over the world is always intriguing. Co-workers are mostly old white men. Promotions are tough to get. Management can be overbearing at times.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
all old people
productive and fun working with students and alumni
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXJanuary 14, 2017
easy going environment. Loved working with the students and alumns. Assisted with different events the alumni office sponsored. Acted as office manager in the absence of the director and/or Assistant Director.
Pros
low stress environment, good benefits, fun co-workers
Productive environment
Graduate Assistant Women's Tennis Coach (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJanuary 6, 2017
I loved working for the Athletic Department. Co workers are very nice and helpful. You also receive benefits, and you are able to gain experience for future employments.
Job Opportunity and advancement limited
Professional Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 16, 2016
My passion is promoting good reading skills with every content and discipline. At TAMUCC my role was one of leadership and teaching. However, my salary was not commiserate with my role. For the past four years, I have completed a full time role with the same salary. I am looking for opportunity to serve and the opportunity to advance.
Pros
medical and dental insurance
Cons
schedules and morale of department
My best day is when objective was made.
Student (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXDecember 17, 2016
As a student, the best day is the day that I got all my lessons with feedback.
I learned that good management is a prelude to success.My others co-students who work hard find it easier to succeed.
The hardest part of the job is when students do not cooperate in team. But the most enjoyable is when team work is implemented based on needs of the students.
Pros
Love cooperative students.
Cons
Hate uncooperative students.
Not a living wage
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXAugust 11, 2016
Compensation here was terrible. The system grinds out graduate students and requires so much work from them that there is no life aside from the research group that you hope you picked properly for 5 years of your life.
Felt good helping students.
Tutor/Peer Counselor - Trio Programs (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXJune 3, 2016
This was a rewarding job but again, dependent on grants//funding for salary. I loved working with the students and when one would succeed and pass a class it was such a good feeling knowing I helped them get there. Loved this job but graduated and moved away.
Pros
fit student schedule and it was close
Cons
salary depending on funding
Ucare
UCARE Director (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXFebruary 18, 2017
This is an awesome place to work. We founded the "Batcave" in a small back office and today it is now a university level dept. I absolutely love my Grad Assistants and the work we do. The professors who helped create UCARE have been excellent mentors! Each and every one of the 25+ students that have worked within UCARE's walls have gone on to be fantastic and awesome "adults." The culture of the Batcave and its Minions is one of flexibility, collaboration, two-way mentoring, and fun. We all have learned how to handle multiple projects in different phases while under pressure with expert professionalism. The hardest part of this job is losing the grad assistants. when they graduate because we have developed such a unique work relationship. The easiest part of UCARE is doing the work. Our team is just awesome and I'm happy and proud of each and every one of the Minions!
Pros
Flex hours, variety of projects, awesome engagement with the community
Cons
Budget is not big enough to really support all the projects we wish to undertake with the community
Flexible and fun
Student Worker - Veteran's Affairs Work Study (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXMay 19, 2016
The most flexible job I ever had. I was able to adjust hours to suit my needs any way I wanted: number of hours, days I worked, even times I worked. I learned a lot about tuition costs and financial aid, probably more than your average college student. I also learned specifics about VA benefits and many other veteran students.
Great work experience that allowed me to learn the different components of cyber security.
Computer Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of reviewing daily/weekly reports that were generated by our security systems. I learned how to manage a variety of software, as well as develop my interpersonal skills. Management was very understanding and flexible with my college schedule. My co-workers were great to work with. They always brought knew and exciting ways of solving problems. The hardest part of the job was creating queries for one of our security systems. The most enjoyable part of the job was collaborating with other IT departments to meet a common goal.
Pros
Flexible hours, Understanding managment
Cons
No benefits since I was a college student
Poor working environment at Political science department
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJanuary 26, 2017
Professors are worried more about their achievements than the impact their work has on important education/economic/management policies, especially in regards to marginalized communities. Race and ethnicity is used as a gold mine for easy publications, but very few of the professors care about those communities.
Pros
great networks
Cons
alienating for students/workers of color
Excellent academic work environment and research facilities
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXSeptember 14, 2016
I learned that as a graduate student you are not given the freedom, or even allowed, to live as an adult. Long hours with low pay.
Pros
Flexible about when I could show up to work.
Cons
low pay, long hours, not allowed freedom to live as adult
Custodial services
custodial services for the student center (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXMarch 31, 2016
Custodial jobs aren't good in my opinion wherever they are . The office staff continually griped about the job being done,and other co workers on other crews didn't do their jobs and nothing was done about it . Ther pay wasn't good they had good benefits at that time but have since privatized and took them away
Pros
they once had good benefits
Cons
close to home
Amazing Experience
Director of Alumni & Development (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJanuary 3, 2017
Working at A&M-Kingsville has allowed room for advancement within the University.
Work days varied depending on the time of year.
Leadership under Dr. Tallant were all solid to work for and with.
The hardest part of the job was wearing many hats, but gave me the opportunity to be diverese.
Great place for wildlife research
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXJuly 25, 2016
There is a lot of flexibility and work involved. As a grad student, you need to always be committed to giving your best work efforts and finding ways to improve your professional and career skills. I have been very blessed with many opportunities to take advantage of here.
Pros
Field work, application, connections, opportunities
Cons
Long hours, hard to balance
Study environemnt, alot of educational resources to help you and other students
Kingsville - Physics Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, TXOctober 30, 2016
You have your own class, the goal is to help the student taking physics class acquire the materials and learn. It is exactly like what professor does, with extra work because you have to explained in details. The SI leader works with the students at their level and improve it. The schedule is flexible. The job is time consuming every student has different problem and you have to help them all. Co-works are tutors and instructor, they are friendly and helpful. The best part is that you meet a lot of students and make new friends.
Pros
flixable scheduale
Cons
Take a lot of time
Intellectual and laid back environment
Lab/Field Technician (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJanuary 23, 2017
I enjoyed the job. I gained valuable knowledge and experience. There were many projects covering many different areas of agriculture and environmental research. I seek to obtain a job related to these fields.
Pros
Breaks taken of my choice, Lunches sometimes included

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas A&M University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4