worked on several projects the lab was working on
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) – Galveston, TX – May 3, 2015
• Aided in a study that involved the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD), where juvenile red drum otoliths were extracted for which were used for stable isotope testing and aging. This research will be used to relate habitat characteristics to the frequency of red drum occurrence in three separate bay areas across the Gulf of Mexico.
• Participated in an early life ecology study of snapper species along the Texas coast. This study was conducted by the Fisheries Ecology lab, NOAA, and TPWD.
• Sorted and identified larval fish (swordfish, marlin, tuna, flying fish, and dolphin fish) species from nekton and bongo net tow samples.
• Identified different species of larval tuna (big eye, blue fin, yellow fin, and black fin) both visually and through running genetic tissue samples.
• Limited exposure to acoustic telemetry tracking through tagging Gulf flounder off the Galveston coastline.
Provided me skills to work in a laboratory setting