TEXAS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE COMMISSION Employee Reviews

Corrupt and Deceitful
Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXNovember 22, 2017
Management is corrupt Agency needs to be totaly investigated.They make their own laws and cheat and steal from the citizens that import liqour by bundling prices on some bottles and charging the right way on other.Also your state benefits are not given they are subject to supervisors approval there is also no lunch breaks you eat in your booth and have to take care of costumers while you eat.Only thing that matters is making revenue.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Supervisors, benefits are not given, forced to work long hours
Boring
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 29, 2017
Office is very slow. Position I had was really not needed. Work I was responsible for was actually duties that could have been handled by other staff and supervisor. Spent many days trying to find things to keep me busy. Pay is set by the state and pay raises are given based on the state career ladder. Pay rate for civilians is near poverty level.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay scale for civilians.
Great environment, friendly people
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 19, 2017
It was a friendly place to work for. Working 8-5 and moving at your own pace. I've had a lot of opportunities to take free in- training services and using that to my advantage. From Microsoft word to entering Data for travel, Payroll, and Accounts Payable. Management was easy to work with and the work culture was the best part about the job. The hardest part and the job was being able to maintain the different task that was given. The most enjoyable part about the job was being able to have state holidays off to spend with family.
Pros
Healthcare, Retirement, Environment, Training
Cons
Workload, Vacant positions, Turnover rate
Fun job, terrible management and work environment.
Agent (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 10, 2016
This is one job that red-tape and poor management ruins it. Expect to work odd schedules such as Tue-Thur 10am to 6pm and then Fri-Sat 6pm to 3am. You will have set days off (Sunday and Monday for probably your entire career).

Benefits are good (state of Texas) and you get a take-home car.
Pros
Good benefits and pay.
Cons
Terrible hours and days off. Poor management.
It was a great position
internship (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 18, 2015
TABC was a great position that I had for a short amount of time. I actually wish I could have stayed there longer, but I was offered another job (and I HATE IT). If I could go back to the TABC, I most definitely would.
Enjoyable work enviroment
Taxpayer Compliance Officer III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2015
A typical work day was to check on inventory and to help customers with purchases or returns.
I learned how to get along with management and co-workers.
Pros
Cons
Salalry
Good Job Work/Life Balance
Taxpayer Compliance Officer I (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 29, 2015
Working at TABC allowed me to work full-time and complete my degree at the same time. The schedule rotated, but the supervisor and coworkers were flexible, allowing shift trades.
Great place to work, office politics can be a problem
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2015
This is a great place to work very family oriented people. As with any job office politics can play a role in day to day life and some groups tend to be clickish.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Hours, Micromanagement
Overall a great experience
Enforcement Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 18, 2013
I learned so much working for the TABC. I was able to take professional development courses, go back to school, and experience first class management training.
I left for a myriad of reasons, none of them "bridge burners", it was merely time and I had managed to save enough to make a clean break while I was still on top of the game. I have only myself to support, so that is less risky than it sounds, though the job market has been more competitive than I expected.
The best part of the job was leading professionally minded employees. I was fortunate enough to see some of my protoges take the reigns as I left - succession planning works! I was able to work with many close friends. The employees had a good grasp of the concept that while our role was enforcement and regulatory, we did so in a way that supported and enhanced the performance of the regulated indutry. That may only be accomplished when employees buy into the agency values.
The hardest part was being stationed at HQ as a Lt. - in the field a Lt. meant management. At HQ, it was the lower end of the spectrum and not really a leadership role - however, it was important to learn a staff position at the hub of the operation, so it had value. The agency is currently in a transition phase and no doubt will come out performing at 100% as they always do.
Pros
The people - very dedicated employees with great attitudes
Cons
Inconsistency of approach - again, something that willbe fixed
Look Elsewhere
Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  HoustonFebruary 9, 2013
Good entry level regulatory experience. If you are looking for a law enforcement position, look elsewhere. I agree with previous comment; during my employment the agency sustained a culture of back biting, poor relationships between managers and frontline employees, and a very poor work environment. This was especially present in the Houston office.
benefits
Cons
work environment, work schedule changes regularly, poor work/life balance
Very poor supervision and hours expected to work
Field Training Officer Certification (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 12, 2012
Constantly worried about fellow employees and supervisors trying to set employees up and stab them in the back.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 26, 2012
Work involved coordinating clerical activities such as compiling and tabulating data, checking documents for accuracy, handling and transporting documents and maintaining files.
A busy, learning position
Enforcement and Agent Personnel (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2012
Overall was a good job. Worked independently on a daily basis. Loved my job there.