Texas Biomedical Research Institute Employee Reviews

Lack of advancment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 28, 2017
Stressful, but making advancements in research and medicine that are amazing. They started an education program, but it requires a lot of hoops to jump through.
Poor management
Vet Tech I (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2017
Unprofessional Institute and sadly work moral extremely low which directly affects animals! From the HR department all the way thru immediate supervisor there is lack of responsibility, unethical demeanor and blatantly disregard of common human relationship interaction. Awful communication within interpersonal animal departments.
Pros
interaction with animals if you are an animal lover!
Caring for Animals
Animal Caretaker II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 21, 2017
Getting to take care of wild animals is so much fun. the rewarding part of being an Animal Caretaker is when the animals know who you are and they cooperate with you when you are trying to take care of them either it be cleaning there cages to just treating them and them taking fruit from your hands gracefully.
Prodcutive
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 5, 2016
independent biomedical research institution, specializing in genetics and in virology and immunology. Texas Biomed is funded by government and corporate grants and contracts, and donations from the public
Needs improvement
Budget & Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 13, 2016
Culture around the workplace needs to be improved. Management could listen more to the employees.
Many changes in management has lead to questions.
A learning experience
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of washing down macaque cages, feeding animals twice (once in the morning and once in the afternoon), recording observations of each cage (feed intake, stool consistency, injuries, etc), pulling cages and transporting animals to and from the clinic, providing edible enrichment (either vegetables, fruits, or grains), and sanitizing cages if scheduled for the day. I'd never worked with monkeys before, so everything served as a learning experience in regards to macaque behavior. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was giving out enrichment to my assigned monkeys every day.
Strong company culture
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Texas Biomed has a strong want/need to be the best in the biomedical field. It is exciting to work with scientists who work on the forefront of biomedical discoveries.This is a great company to work for.
veterinary research technician for marmosets, tamarins
veterinary research technician 1. (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 29, 2015
I was hired as veterinary research technician and everything what I did was 90% of husbandry, moving heavy cages, changing cages and cleaning areas another 5%.
And rest of 5% was blood draw, rectal swaps etc.
I was expecting more medical stuff to do, but If I would like to be animal keeper, I will probably go to the Zoo.

My supervisor was awesome lady, my lead technician was the most horrible person. Never ever tells you, good job.
I heard only do this, do this one, you are to slow, etc

This company is very good with all benefits or if you working at the lab, but if you are down there and you tried to go up to different position it is hard and takes years.
I was able to go to the lunch after 5 hr of hard work, this is against the law. I had barely time to even go and take a drink if my lead technician was not behind my back.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hard work pulling those big cages, this is more animalkeeper postion
Worst company to work for
Primatology Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 28, 2015
This company does not talk to its employees. It is nearly impossible to get into to and once you do, it is a constant battle. The HR people act as through they are gate keepers when really they are just ask jockeys. This company is horrible.
Fascinating work, great mission
Director, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 7, 2014
Significant opportunity for advancement. Great place for post docs to advance their careers.

Want to know more about Texas Biomedical Research Institute?

Ask a question
raising an animals, feeding, and etc..
Animal Caretaker II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 24, 2013
love working with the Chimps doing observation, medication, washing and feeding, santize cages, and adnormal behaviors. and etc..
Pros
breaks, lunch
Cons
short breaks, hot weather
Excellent
Macaque area (Cynomolgus monkey and Rhesus monkey) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 11, 2013
Dream Job
Educational, learned something new everyday.
Triage and treat wound or other injuries, as clinical animals present for routine or emergency surgical intervention, facilitate the preparation of the patient by establishing an IV, intubation and administration of gas anesthesia. Prepare surgical site, maintain the animal in a surgical plane of anesthesia, through assessment of the patient and support equipment. Keep written documentation of the animal’s progress and enter information into the animal data base. Operate standard clinical support equipment. Equipment includes, tattoo equipment, animal identification and retrieval equipment including microchip insertion and scanning equipment, thermometer, centrifuge, scales, EKG, X-Ray. Report broken equipment to the appropriate supervisor; maintain equipment within the clinic as necessary. Perform surveillance testing and collect samples (TB, parasitology, virology, bacteriology and genetics) as program directs. Apply fundamental mathematics to determine drug dose (anesthetic agent or medications), Project amount (volume, number) of drug necessary per administration to complete the designated length of treatment. Proficiently administer drugs by multiple routs (SQ, IM, ID, IV, and PO). Assist in preparation of animals for pathologic evaluation, prepare appropriate documentation, and acquire sampling requests, samples as directed. Able to euthanize the animal under the guidance of Veterinarian as needed. Follow through routine observations of group housed animals under production for signs delivery, dystocia
  more... and post partum complications. Perform daily observations on singly housed animal. Observations include but are not limited to the assessment of clinical conditions, feed consumption, normal behavior, stool consistency. Report abnormality to supervisor or veterinarian to further guide the clinical treatment, also perform other duties as assigned.

For a greater cause....
Buyer III (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 23, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job: knowing that, though I was small element of the organization, I was helping support the science and the scientist that work for human life and progression.