Texas Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Acquire great knowledge and relaxing work environment
International Marketing Intern/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 27, 2012
My typical day starts at 9am and goes until 5pm, usually depending on the projects I have to stay extra hours or come in earlier. Since I started I have learned an extensive amount of information on the agriculture industry and its various aspects of operation and categories. This job has helped me increase my knowledge of the industry and acquire more experience in the international platform, since I have been exposed to marketing abroad. This is a very relaxing work environment, there are helpful coworkers and my supervisor has been a great mentor. The hardest part of the job would be time constraints and multiple projects at once, therefore I need to manage my time and work under pressure in order to deliver great work results on all the projects. I do enjoy coming in to work since I constantly learn something new and I love the idea of marketing and working for various international markets.
Pros
social events, flexible hours
Cons
higher management, government protocol
Fun diverse place
International Marketing Assistant/Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Information had been submitted in an earlier window (this window to rate was repeated)

Would receive tasks directly from the international marketing coordinator to assist and help him with projects. I would conduct extensive research to see what products were able to be exported and what countries were on point so we could initiate trade with. I was in charge of any travel arrangements, documents and visas needed for the team and any other company that was traveling along. I would help and assist the events that we arranged, such as trade shows, expos, conferences, rodeos, among others, in order to promote our mission and market Texan products.
Pros
luncheons, traveling (domestically), conferences
A great bunch of people, but limited room for growth.
Audit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 24, 2012
I enjoyed my co-workers and my direct supervisor was great, but the division was in a state of flux due to merging of programs and an implementation of a new computer system. Processes and procedures were not planned out which lead to a high level of chaos. The positive to this was that if you were willing to jump in there were lots of opportunities to learn new things. Unfortunately, with state budget constraints there is no career path, so if you want to advance you have leave.
productive and semi-relaxed corporate environment
Clerk I, (Administrative Services Intern Position) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2014
TDA was a very great place to intern. It taught me how to be independent and how to be more confident in my performance. This intern gave me a chance to show off my skills and abilities which lead me to being more hands on with different departments' projects.
Pros
office parties, free lunches
Cons
short term position
Enjoyable work
Agriculture and Consumer Protection Inspector (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 26, 2015
As an inspector 90% of communication with my supervisor was through e-mail and phone calls. My territory was two hours away from the regional office I worked from home. It was a very independent atmosphere at which I enjoyed and thrived in. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people every day and completing new tasks everyday.
Pay is not competitive with private industry.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 1, 2015
8 to 5, lots of paid holidays and paid leave. Declining benefits. Good retirement package. No room for advancement. Centrally managed without input or consideration from the people actually doing the job.
Pros
Good retirment package
Cons
Declining benefits, below average pay
Above average state agency
Chief Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2015
Agency in transition with new leadership. Great people who work as a team especially in IT, HR and Operations Support. Above average management team who are dedicated to the mission of the agency.
Pros
good work/life balance
Cons
organization in transition
Texas Department of Agriculture
Assistant General Counsel III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 3, 2013
The people who worked there were all very nice and friendly and were easy to get along with. It was a good job to have overall as well because they gave me plenty of raises. We were a family environment as well and had lots of get of celebrations.
Job Flexability
Regulatory Inspector (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 28, 2015
Very flexible schedule. A lot of day time traveling. The pay is not very good. As long as you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, you will be able to retire there with government benefits.
Pros
flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons
advancement is minimal
Lots of freedom but no advancement
Consumer Protection Inspector (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 25, 2015
I would drive around and inspect businesses usually talking to managers and owners in order to make sure they were compliant with their license.
Pros
Freedom and job security
Cons
little room for advancement
State agency that helps the agricultural industry
Administrative Technician II/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasMay 14, 2013
It is a license agency that regulates agricultural industry
Pros
monday to friday, 8 to 5 job
Cons
get paid once a month
Poorly run organization
program specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2012
Extreme micromanagement. No advancement at all. Horribly run place,...things were always run by the executive "groupies" as to how the political head would look.