Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services

Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employer Reviews

Great Place
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great staff
Cons: parking
Going to work was always fun. Many great personalities and smiling faces to assist whenever possible. Being able to be a part of many projects to assist with the consolidation in 2004 was a great experience for my career.
Good, stable employment
CPS Specialist IV (Former Employee), Houston, TexasFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, able to work from home
Cons: rules changed often
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services was a good and stable source of employment with great benefits.
If you want a family and to enjoy/invest in them, do not work CPS
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: lots of humor amongst co-workers, team lunches
Cons: no overtime pay, lack of family life, low pay to workload ratio
The agency as a whole is done well and provide valuable services. CPS is not the department to hold a good family life as well as put in the "expected" hours. Expect many work nights ending at 8PM or later.
Difficult and stressful place to work.
CPS Investigator II (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: unmanageable workloads, stressful
Most days, you spend trying to make your face to face contacts with your clients, documenting, and trying to stay in compliance with unrealistic work exceptions. The job is good for someone whom is single with no children. You will easily work 12-16 hours every single day. Case loads are extremely high and unmanageable. Management don't seem to care about you as a caseworker. They know what you are going through and they know the work is unmanageable but there is really nothing anyone can do because the state's policy sets caseworkers up for failure with the unrealistic expectations.
It was hard to do physically and mentally
Investigator (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXJanuary 23, 2015
It was hard to work the overnights and unexpected hours on-call when my children were young. I had some great co-workers. It is a very thankless job and a very noble commitment.
Great experience with the legal environment and foster care system
Conservatorship Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 30, 2014
You have tools to assist you in entering your daily contacts such as a tablet, cell phone, etc. You will make decisions along with other CPS staff in order to determine the next steps in a foster care case. You work with many people and professionals to help you assess the case and needs of the families such as attorneys, parents, children, relatives, fictive kin, foster families, case manager, therapists, psychiatrists, teachers, etc. You are required to see each child in foster care on your case load every month. You are also required to follow up on the progress that the parents make each month on the court ordered services such as therapy, parenting, employment seeking, housing, domestic violence classes, substance abuse therapy, etc. The best part of the job is seeing how resilient the kids can be and making it work for them to have a permanent home that is safe and loving. The hardest part of the job is balancing the deadlines with court reports, court environment, safety risks, late hours, the emotional toll it can take, etc. Your coworkers become your second family since you see them often in the office and at court.
Challenging and Rewarding
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee), Lake Worth, TXDecember 14, 2014
Pros: working with a diverse group of people on a daily basis
Cons: unpredictable, no day is ever the same.
Overall a great organization to work for. An exceptional example of where being both a team player and individually motivated comes into play as being a key aspect of the job. Have to be willing to work hours outside the normal 8a-5p scope. Great benefits and many opportunities to advance.
Wonderful place to work
Human Services Technician (Current Employee), Austin, TXDecember 1, 2014
Cons: not enough pay
If you love helping others who are unable to help themselves, this is the place for you.
fast paced job
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Former Employee), Killeen, TXNovember 28, 2014
This job was a learning experience for me. It was long hours and a lot of work. I learned how to interview parents and children that were under investigation for complaints of child abuse. The hardest part of the job was having to see actual cases where the child was hurt.
Stressful Job Environment
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 11, 2014
Although I enjoyed the job itself, the work environment is stressful and demanding. I could not plan a life outside of work, and the expectations were unattainable.
Management is inconsistent.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 2, 2014
Policy and procedures are open to interpretation; very inconsistent.
Productive and fun job
Investigator (Former Employee), Copperas Cove, TXNovember 2, 2014
Pros: i liked everything about this job
Cons: i didn't have a permanent status & pay could be better.
I really liked this law enforcement job. I loved my supervisors, leads, co-workers (civilians & soldiers), location and work I did.
Life as a CPS worker
Child Protective Services Investigator IV (Current Employee), Plano, TXOctober 31, 2014
I have been a CPS Investigator for nine years. My experience has been rewarding yet challenging. Relationships have been built with peers as well as professionals such as law enforcement officials, school staff and medical staff, etc. The knowledge that I have gained has been monumental. Working with a vast array of clients has been rewarding and interesting. The schedule has the potential to be flexible although some days require working until very late hours of the night. The hardest part of the job to me was placing children in foster care. The most enjoyable part is the help that can be offered to families to preserve the family. I enjoy talking with the children and clients and being able to make a difference.
Good benefits and good co-workers
Foster/Adopt Development (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 8, 2014
Helping child and families. Long hours and stressful environment. Good benefits and good co-workers.
Great teamwork.
Adult Protective Specialist IV-Caseworker (Former Employee), Alamo TexasSeptember 23, 2014
I was able to meet a lot of interesting individuals with a great knowledge of history. My co-workers were team players and were great communicators. Policy and changes were often given to employees. I enjoyed helping and assisting clients.
Good job
CPS INVESTIGATOR (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Good job - overwhelming at times, two many cases assigned to the case workers/investigators. I worked as an investigator for a period of 10 months. I was offered a job at Weslaco Independent School District.
A very productive low rewarding environment
Child Protective Services Investigator Specialist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2014
Investigating allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking the necessary steps to protect children. This could include removing a child from their family.
Interviewing people in the case such as the person who reports it, family members, doctors, nurses, and others familiar with the family situation.
Checking children for signs of abuse or neglect.
Talking frankly and objectively with families about income, money management, abuse, and personal relationships that they will probably consider personal and private.
Testifying in court and preparing comprehensive reports of investigative findings that support recommendations to the court.
Documenting all relevant and appropriate information and completing all required forms.
Serving as liaison to social service agencies, schools, local law enforcement agencies, and attorneys.
Working under constant deadlines that require prioritizing efforts and flexible work hours.
Maintaining a balance of objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful and crisis situations.
Investigator II fort worth tx
CPS Investigation Worker II (Current Employee), north txJuly 30, 2014
Pros: learn something new everyday, help a family in need
Cons: no support, no matter what time has been put into work still didn't matter
Caseloads very high. Was told by a supervisor in order to spend time in outside work activities(family, friends, dates), I needed to figure out how to submit my cases in a timely fashion in order to participate in outside work activities. I have spent time to catch up work by working on weekends, and working after hours with a 35+ caseload. When does it end..was able to turn in 12 of my cases in a weeks time. Supervisor emailed," I see you have submitted several cases, but what about these other 4 cases".
Very Productive workplace. It is a great place to obtain work experience.
CPS Specialist II (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 27, 2014
Pros: a lot of flexibilty, case management
Cons: with the amount of flexibilty it is possible for workers to become lackadaisical.
Working for Child Protective Services provides good experience. It allows you to manage several cases, and determine the parents capabilites to successfully provide for and ensure their child/children safety. A typical can range from working in the office, or working in the field. Caseworkers are required to make recommendations to the court on the parents abilities and inabilities to correctly parent their child.
N/A
APS In-Home Specialist I (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 22, 2014
I was able to gain a lot of knowledge working for this company. This is all I have to say about this employer.

1 2 3 4