Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

Helping vulnerable Texans has high demands
Protective Services Intake Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2017
The recent changes in software have made a difficult job even harder. Demands on tenured staff have risen along with the hold times due to poor software performance. The calls can be very emotionally stressful as the majority of calls are about abuse and neglect. At least 30% of the staff work from home and appear once a month at the unit meeting. There is some effort to make the workplace more sociable but there is still little community. The organization is about to be split into three offices with new offices opening in El Paso and Texarkana. Going into the office is akin to entering a cubicle ghost town. Advancing is easier if you are willing to put in training time outside of normal working hours. Training time during normal working hours is extremely limited and usually only 45minutes is provided for mandatory training.
Not the best
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 4, 2017
I enjoyed the administrative job, however, I was never given enough work to do. I had empty days and when I asked for more work I was given a seating chart to do. I didn't feel as though they believed in my work capabilities which was upsetting.

Also, it seems as though there are cliques and I never was able to get through to anyone (besides one coworker). I felt as if I were in high school again!
Very high staff turnover
Program Director Clerk IV (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 22, 2017
High turn over in staff due to low pay. Supervisors have minimum years experience in management and leadership due to agency hiring very young candidates.
Pros
Free health insurance
Cons
Low pay
Great Place to Work
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 11, 2017
This job was one of the best jobs I have ever had. I loved the people I worked with. Everyone gets along with each other. Very family-like environment. The hardest part of the job is obviously the work we do along with Child Protective Services (CPS). The most enjoyable part is knowing that we helped future children of Texas.
Rewarding
Caseworker II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 3, 2017
No two days are the same. Extremely rewarding. Stressful but worth every moment. Meeting with clients all over the place is very exciting. You meet new people daily.
Pros
Flexiable
Cons
Long days and traveling.
Great Place To Work
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2017
I learned so much working here; but most importantly I have grown professionally. I was taught the importance of communication, professionalism and dignity.
very stressful workplace
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasApril 4, 2017
the management did not care about its employees and picked favorites
my supervisor here was very rude and hateful
There was very little positive reinforcement
I did like working and helping the people
benefits
Cons
stress
Job and Life balance
Child Protective Services Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 15, 2017
Typical day at work involved working after office hours were over. The job interfered with school. I had to make a decision whether to quit the job or quit school. I chose school.
Pros
Helping troubled families
Cons
work hours
Different experience every day
Child Protective Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande City, TXFebruary 23, 2017
Enjoyed serving the families and children in my community. Working in a small community enabled me to personally meet and work with various members of the community to better serve our clients.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
Long hours without compensation
Very professional.
Intern Student Full-time field placement (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Typical day at work was overwhelm employees. Venting is a key to stay clam. Management were difficult to voice concerns. Family and fun environment. The hardest part of the job is to receive calls from a hospital on one of the clients. The most enjoyable part of the job is closing a case.
Pros
limited time to review cases
Cons
high case loads
Investigated child abuse and neglect
Investigator II (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Investigated child abuse and neglect. Provided services to children in need. Completed court documents and testified when necessary
Pros
Employee benefits and retirement
Cons
too much work and not enough time to complete it
A very fulfilling job with high levels of stress.
CPS Specialist III (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 18, 2017
There is a lot more work to this job than most people realize. The stress of the job itself is hard. It then there is the stress of meeting impossible deadlines. And I can't speak for all supervisors but in my unit all that mattered was that my paperwork was done as quickly as they wanted it to. E done. Didn't matter how much time I was doing field work, it was more important to have the paperwork done. It was impossible to get everything done without someone suffering.
Benefits
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Fast paced ever changing work environment.
Child Protective Services Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXFebruary 18, 2017
A typical day at work may consist of Face to Face monthly visits with Foster Parents, Youth and possibly Biological Parents. Everyday is a learning experience. The constant interaction with different cultures teaches one to keep an open mind and understand the similarities as well as the differences. The hardest part of the job for me is the brokenness of the families I deal with daily. It can be heart wrenching and extremely overwhelming at times. On the other hand it is extremely rewarding and fulfilling to ones inner being.
Pros
Helping disadvanted families
Cons
Not enough workers and not enough pay
Great work experience, but long days
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Granbury, TXFebruary 9, 2017
The job itself was rewarding as you know that you are helping out innocent children. At the end of my time there, upper management only cared about getting their numbers lowered and not what they should be, getting the families and children the services they needed. It became a very political job. They also started to hire people right out of high school and I don't think that people right out of high school are prepared for the signs of abuse or neglect that you see in this job. This was their solution so people to stay in the jobs.
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2017
Working for the State of Texas was a good job. I really enjoyed working with my unit staff. The hours were great. Management was great. Being able to help someone in need is always a good feeling
It sucks the soul out of you
Conservatorship Worker (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 23, 2017
Whatever you do, don't do it. It's not worth all of the time with your family you miss out on. There is the expectation that you will work 24/7 with awful compensation.
Protecting children and keeping environments safe of any hazardous environments
CPS Investigator I (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 18, 2017
It is a very demanding job. It limits family activity. Too many cases and not enough workers. Demands on workers for closure cases within a 30 day frame.
Pros
Helping to keep kids safe from abuse and neglect
Cons
Dangerous and Unpredictable
Overworked and Underpaid
CPS Investigation Screener (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 28, 2016
This company has some good people but the upper level management was quite corrupt and the workers were treated less than human at times. They don't care about their employees and wouldn't protect them if the offender is someone who has friends in upper level management. Insane amount of work and extremely underpaid. No work life balance for sure if you're a caseworker, especially an investigator.
Pros
Job security (because no one else wants to do the job)
Cons
Pay, lack of work/life balance, biased treatment by managers
Hopefully changes are underway
Centralized Placement Unit Placement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 24, 2016
Working for this agency takes a special kind of person. While changes are trying to be made, it will take a while but I am hopeful. This work is necessary and there are lots of people there that want to make a difference. To have a work/personal life balance takes discipline because the demands of this job on a single person are high. It looks like the new commissioner is trying to fairly compensate their workers.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
High demand and high turnover
Great Benefits
CCL Abuse and Neglect Investigator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2016
The overall job is fun; especially when children are involved. It helps to know that you may be helping out a child in need. However, there are disadvantages. The upper management can micromanage, especially when state office is involved.
Pros
Health insurance, time off
Cons
Micromanaging, drama between staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9