Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

Intensive but Rewarding
Conservatorship Worker/ I See You Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJune 22, 2016
A typical work day at CPS will depend on which area you work in. What I can say for sure is that the job comes with high stress, it comes with wanting to put families first, it comes with wanting to put children first and their well being. This job is incredibly challenging, but rewarding at the same time. I enjoyed my time at CPS. I know the office I worked from was a supportive, positive and team built office. I know not all offices are the same.

Working as a caseworker you have to be mentally prepared to hear anything, a good listener, empathetic, patience, calm, tolerant, organized, and good with data entry skills. As a worker you have to be willing to have a voice to speak of the facts that you have found that serves in the best interest of the child. This can mean having different opinions from other caseworkers, supervisors or court. It is important that all facts are gathered to best serve the child and or family.

The best part of my job was my team, my co-workers, and the amazing children I met. It was hard work, but rewarding when you know you made a difference in at least one child's life.

The hardest part was not the 40-50 hours a week I put in, as I was compensated for that. The hardest part was pouring your heart into a job to help reunite a family and doing your best to help the parents only to see that they continued to choose drugs or lifestyle over the priority of the child. The other hard part is becoming too close to foster families only to find you have to send in a report due to suspected abuse or other issues. You do learn to balance
  more... it all and make boundaries where necessary.

People think working for CPS would be terrible and that they couldn't do it. CPS puts all new employees in an intensive training program. I think an employee quickly is able to compartmentalize their jobs and the stories they hear in order to work in this field. Keeping positive and remembering your purpose helps to keep one focused and grateful for what they do.

My management team was amazing and didn't throw me to the wolves. CPS trained me and my team also worked with me. I had a very good experience with CPS.
Pros
flexible hours, working from home, making a difference, meeting new people, team members, management, benefits, able to advance, training
Cons
Stress, children's stories, hearing what parents are capable of, lawyers, constant documenting (everything needs to be documented), long hours (however I didn't mind that) filing reports on abuse, having difficult and confrontational parents, having to stand your ground on facts that you have.
If you do not like casework, Do not take the Job!
Specialist (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TX 78504May 14, 2016
This line of work is not for everyone. It takes a special kind of person who genuinely cares about children and their families. This line of work is demanding and presents little to no reward. Do not expect any compliments from your superiors and be ready for unpaid overtime.
Pros
Flexible working hours. Free health insurance.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
I was happy helping people
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 8, 2016
A Typical Day Working For Child And Family Protective Services

My day always started off with having to prioritize the many situation that would take place in a day, or that took place the night before I got to work. I had to manage a case load, up to 20 families at any given time. I multi-tasked always by visiting homes, making assessment to determine what the clients need were. I then set up any of the needs of the entire family. The best part of this job was that I was helping the success of the family.
Pros
What I liked most was being independent, because I am a self starter.
Cons
What I disliked most was the late night visits to homes.
Rewarding job but comes with a lot of stress
Conservatorship Specialist III and FBSS (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXFebruary 2, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Child Protective Services. It is a very rewarding job getting to help children and families. The pay rate could be better due to the amount of stress it comes with and the high intensity it requires. I loved the employees I worked with and it feels like a family.
A very good, consistent career opportunity
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 11, 2015
This was a very busy position; I started my days running but the craziness of the job was great. Management was awesome and very helpful as well.
Pros
A good, consistent job for a small community.
Cons
At times you feel like you're overworked due to the number of cases and low amount of caseworkers.
It has changed.
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 16, 2015
The agency has changed for the better since I was there. It is not an 8-5 job. Co-workers were great. Hardest part was seeing injured kids or dealing with child deaths.
A busy and multitasking place to work for.
Conservatorship worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 15, 2015
Organizational skills are a must to survive in this job. As a legal worker, I had to prep court documents, attend and testify in the court room, assist children with emotional and traumatic situations, create child and family plans, keep up with parents and their services, set up services, and document everything that happens in each case. I enjoyed working with my families and coworkers and had a great boss. Legal workers are definitely overworked and under paid. Keeping up with all the cases can be very difficult and stressful.
Overall
Child Protective Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 11, 2015
Typical day at work requires a lot of driving and critical thinking when dealing with caregivers. It also requires a lot of case management and entering reports timely.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay is not worth the stress
Productive workplace
Investigator IV (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 13, 2015
This job is very rewarding. There is supportive management with good team work. However, this job can be very stressful and is not for everyone.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Good Job.
Family Based Safety Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Centerville, TXOctober 12, 2015
Worked as a cashier and sales associate. Work day consisted of helping customers locate merchandise and check them out.
Good Cause
CVS Specialist II (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 10, 2015
You will never be caught up on paperwork. It is hard to balance personal and job life. The co-workers are the best part of the job. They are supportive and all have the same common goal to help others.
fast paced work enviroment with plenty of work to keep busy
Contract Technician III (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXSeptember 2, 2015
I learned time management, computer skills, contract management skills and what it's like to handle your own workload in a timely manner
Helping the elderly.
Adult Protective Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasAugust 31, 2015
Work is very flexible and supervisor is GREAT. You may have to work longer than 8 hours due to doing documentation. The job has a lot of driving but the company reimburses you each month.
Stressful but rewarding place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2015
The work with the families and children was amazing and rewarding. The management is demanding and unforgiving and do not take into account the sacrifices of the workers and/or their families.
Pros
Working with families and the insurance benefits
Cons
rigid management
The position provided an excellent opportunity to provide direct services to families and children. Overall it was a wonderful experience.
Child Specialist V (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2015
I have worked with families and children throughout my career and retired from Oklahoma Department of Human Services as an administrator in Child Welfare Services. I desired to return to direct services and found the opportunity to do that through the Texas Department of Families and Services to Children.

It was delightful to have co-workers to work with and to learn from. The most difficult part of the job was the extremely large caseloads and long work hours which were often necessary to meet the needs of children, families, caretakers or demands of the Court system. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I had helped facilitate a child's return to their home, a mother being able to provide a home for her children and foremost, children were safer after intervening in their behalf.
Pros
Direct Services to families and children
Cons
Heavy caseloads
Meaningful but very consuming work
Conservatorship Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 3, 2015
This is a very challenging job that many love and hate at the same time. There is a sense of satisfaction in helping families, but there is more work than is reasonable for any one person to accomplish. There is a lot of pressure to meet deadlines and always something new to learn. It is nearly impossible to turn the job off after work or take time off.
Pros
Decent benefits, lots of time off offered, mileage reimbursement
Cons
Difficult to take time off, extremely demanding job, too much stress
CPS Investigator - Lufkin
CPS SPECIALIST - INVESTIGATOR I (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXJuly 23, 2015
Be prepared for this job, you will face a lot challenges. Their training program is a joke and they won't teach you much. They might as well just give a giant binder with all the rules and regulations in it. My experience was not great because no one was willing to help me when I finished training.

I was hired during a major transition period for the organization. They decided to make their employees mobile, meaning they worked from home mostly. No one was ever in my office and I felt like they kind of threw me out there. I only lasted a year.

Terrible office environment, lots of gossiping and adults behaving like they're in high school.

Advice to the "higher-ups" would be to make sure your supervisors are doing their jobs in helping newcomers. Even after asking my supervisors and other coworkers, I got no help. Everyone wants to benefit themselves and themselves only.

Good Luck!
Pros
Pay, stipend, flexibility
Cons
No help, heavy caseloads, terrible office environment, gossiping, selfish people, high school behavior
Long Hours
Child Protective Services Investigator IV (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 22, 2015
Long hours as an investigator with the expectation to make sure the children are safe at all times, even when you are not on the job. I enjoyed the job itself, but it was very demanding and some of the management was not supportive.
Pros
Protect children, help families, provide resources
Cons
management, pay, hours
management
Protective Services Intake Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 21, 2015
Management is not supportive in promoting. I have been working for the company for three years and I haven't bee introduced to a plan in working my way up the ladder.
Pros
free health coverage
Learning to work with numerous entites over the years.
Child Protective Supervisor II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2015
TDPRS can be a demanding job as it involves working with abused children and their families. TDPRS also can lead to quick burn out if each employee does not take the time to properly balance work and home/social life which is important in all jobs. TDPRS can be rewarding when positive outcomes occur between children and their families and the employees at every level are able to bare witness to progress.
Pros
Ability to work diligently with children and families
Cons
Based on the emotional factor, can lead to quick burn out

2.9