Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

Helping children and families
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hallettsville, TXAugust 10, 2017
Child Protective Services was definitely a life-changing experience, in a good way. I was able to learn to effectively manage a high volume of work daily and still maintain a balanced life.
Critical Mission to Texas
External Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 7, 2017
Working at the Department of Family Services offers anyone the opportunity to help protect the most vulnerable in Texas. This mission is critical to protect the very young and the very old. At DFPS, we are proud to protect.
Stressful at times, but satisfying and valuable work.
Texas Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 5, 2017
I provided services as a contracted provider, not an employee. Generally speaking, I found the staff of the organization easy to work with. I am aware that there is rapid turnover there, which has both positive and negative implications for employees. The positive is that advancement can be rapid. The negative has to do with the stress level, which I understand is high for their staff.
Pros
Provide a critical service to the community.
Cons
High stress level.
Work was fulfilling and frustrating at the same time
CPS CVS Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2017
The workers were underpaid for the work that they performed. Most times it seemed like workers were expected to choose their jobs over their families. At times the environment was very cut throat and the supervisors would sometimes throw you under the bus. The best part was serving the children and their families.
This Workplace needs improvement
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 21, 2017
This agency needs more diversity training, management training, as well as sensitivity training for supervisors. The hardest part of this job is having supervisors who are not qualified for their positions and instructing workers to do wrong.
Pros
work with children
Cons
tearing families apart
A Great Place to Start a Carreer
Legal Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, TXJuly 14, 2017
I enjoyed working for a supportive supervisor. The work was challenging but also offered life-long rewards with regard to building my career. I would encourage others to work with the TDFPS to being a career in social work.
Pros
Good salary, support, team work
Cons
A lot of driving in personal vehicle
great workplce
CPS Investigator IV (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 12, 2017
you will learn a lot in this work place and grow as a professional. this job will open a lot of more doors in the community were you could work at.

management is not the best and you hardly ever got their back on you.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
Great place to work, but the workload is very high
CPS Investigations Worker II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2017
This job is not for the faint at heart. Requires more of your time so if you have families of your own you will not see much of them depending on your position.
All about the kiddos
CPS Caseworker II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2017
This job is not for the weak at heart. There is no typical day. If you are not ready to be flexible, see uncomfortable things or work closely with the perpetrators of abuse, you will not last long in this job. You definitely get plenty of opportunities to change peoples lives for the better, but if you abuse your position of authority or get lax in documenting or any role of your job, your role can lead to lead to devastating decisions made on behalf of families that could have long-lasting even life-threatening effects.
Pros
Families being reunited, permanent homes for children
Cons
long work hours, emotionally draining
Helping vulnerable Texans has high demands
Protective Services Intake Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2017
The recent changes in software have made a difficult job even harder. Demands on tenured staff have risen along with the hold times due to poor software performance. The calls can be very emotionally stressful as the majority of calls are about abuse and neglect. At least 30% of the staff work from home and appear once a month at the unit meeting. There is some effort to make the workplace more sociable but there is still little community. The organization is about to be split into three offices with new offices opening in El Paso and Texarkana. Going into the office is akin to entering a cubicle ghost town. Advancing is easier if you are willing to put in training time outside of normal working hours. Training time during normal working hours is extremely limited and usually only 45minutes is provided for mandatory training.
Not the best
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 4, 2017
I enjoyed the administrative job, however, I was never given enough work to do. I had empty days and when I asked for more work I was given a seating chart to do. I didn't feel as though they believed in my work capabilities which was upsetting.

Also, it seems as though there are cliques and I never was able to get through to anyone (besides one coworker). I felt as if I were in high school again!
Very high staff turnover
Program Director Clerk IV (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 22, 2017
High turn over in staff due to low pay. Supervisors have minimum years experience in management and leadership due to agency hiring very young candidates.
Pros
Free health insurance
Cons
Low pay
Great Place to Work
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 11, 2017
This job was one of the best jobs I have ever had. I loved the people I worked with. Everyone gets along with each other. Very family-like environment. The hardest part of the job is obviously the work we do along with Child Protective Services (CPS). The most enjoyable part is knowing that we helped future children of Texas.
Rewarding
Caseworker II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 3, 2017
No two days are the same. Extremely rewarding. Stressful but worth every moment. Meeting with clients all over the place is very exciting. You meet new people daily.
Pros
Flexiable
Cons
Long days and traveling.
Great Place To Work
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2017
I learned so much working here; but most importantly I have grown professionally. I was taught the importance of communication, professionalism and dignity.
very stressful workplace
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasApril 4, 2017
the management did not care about its employees and picked favorites
my supervisor here was very rude and hateful
There was very little positive reinforcement
I did like working and helping the people
benefits
Cons
stress
Job and Life balance
Child Protective Services Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 15, 2017
Typical day at work involved working after office hours were over. The job interfered with school. I had to make a decision whether to quit the job or quit school. I chose school.
Pros
Helping troubled families
Cons
work hours
Different experience every day
Child Protective Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande City, TXFebruary 23, 2017
Enjoyed serving the families and children in my community. Working in a small community enabled me to personally meet and work with various members of the community to better serve our clients.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
Long hours without compensation
Very professional.
Intern Student Full-time field placement (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Typical day at work was overwhelm employees. Venting is a key to stay clam. Management were difficult to voice concerns. Family and fun environment. The hardest part of the job is to receive calls from a hospital on one of the clients. The most enjoyable part of the job is closing a case.
Pros
limited time to review cases
Cons
high case loads
Investigated child abuse and neglect
Investigator II (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Investigated child abuse and neglect. Provided services to children in need. Completed court documents and testified when necessary
Pros
Employee benefits and retirement
Cons
too much work and not enough time to complete it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9