Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

high stress
Ongoing Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 12, 2017
this is a high stress job that can take a toll on workers emotionally if they do not rely on their co-workers and leadership to process the day to day work experiences
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
long work hours
crazy
Human Service Tech (Current Employee) –  Big Spring, TXOctober 10, 2017
Working here is crazy. It is fast pace one day and the next slow. I love being able to help families get there life back together. When that doesn't work out, I love seeing kids find families, that love them and want to be there for them.
Child Protective Services
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 3, 2017
It is a stressful job but one that is very rewarding. You work a lot of hours but at the end of the day you feel rewarded that you are helping someone.
High stress, low appreciation from state
Child Protective Services Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2017
High stress, low appreciation from state, pay and advancement is slow, too many demands on your time after hours, a lot of travel, paperwork burden is such that the children suffer from lack of workers' time.
Too much work
Child Protective Services Specialist, Investigator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 15, 2017
Work is very inspiring. However, the expectations are in my opinion are unattainable. The turnover rate is extremely high due to the workloads.>>>>>
This job will prepare you for future endeavors
Family Group Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2017
This job allowed me to establish a great work ethic. I was able to learn to communicate effectively. I was able to learn to balance work and life, but the job can be stressful.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
micromanaging by supervisors
The Department helps children and families to reach the best outcome for the children.
Case Manager 1V (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXSeptember 10, 2017
The department work load in the county I worked was two/ three times the caseload recommended by the department. Also we had to help out with investigations. The amount of paperwork was tremendous. I was a conservator case worker snd had foster children placed in 6 different counties which I had to do a home visit every month. I left due to illness of my family member as well as my own health issues.
Pros
Very good benefits. Knowing that you could make a positive impact on children and famlies.
Cons
To heavy of a work load. It sets caseworkers up ti fail..
fast pace
CPS Investigator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXSeptember 6, 2017
It is a fast pace environment. very rewarding helping others, even though it might get stressful when the ones that need help do not want the help. I enjoyed my time with the agency
Pros
good benefits, rewarding job helping others
Cons
long hours, stressful cases
Job organization
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78701September 1, 2017
It took them a while but they finally became organized and caseload manageable for the case workers. If I had to do it again I would go back and work for them.
Pros
working in that environment.
Cons
working with an incompetent trainer.
CPS Investigator
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXAugust 20, 2017
Child Protective Services is a meaningful job and you really have the opportunity to make a difference in the world. However, this job can really take a toll on you and your family. You have to be willing to dedicate your life to this job in order to succeed.
fast paced, busy, goal oriented
CPS Investigator I (Former Employee) –  Quitman, TXAugust 17, 2017
Had to review and work case within 24 hours, so it was fast paced. Learned a lot. Hardest thing sometimes was removing children from parents, but sometimes it not hard, depending upon circumstances.
Helping children and families
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hallettsville, TXAugust 10, 2017
Child Protective Services was definitely a life-changing experience, in a good way. I was able to learn to effectively manage a high volume of work daily and still maintain a balanced life.
Critical Mission to Texas
External Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 7, 2017
Working at the Department of Family Services offers anyone the opportunity to help protect the most vulnerable in Texas. This mission is critical to protect the very young and the very old. At DFPS, we are proud to protect.
Stressful at times, but satisfying and valuable work.
Texas Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 5, 2017
I provided services as a contracted provider, not an employee. Generally speaking, I found the staff of the organization easy to work with. I am aware that there is rapid turnover there, which has both positive and negative implications for employees. The positive is that advancement can be rapid. The negative has to do with the stress level, which I understand is high for their staff.
Pros
Provide a critical service to the community.
Cons
High stress level.
Work was fulfilling and frustrating at the same time
CPS CVS Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2017
The workers were underpaid for the work that they performed. Most times it seemed like workers were expected to choose their jobs over their families. At times the environment was very cut throat and the supervisors would sometimes throw you under the bus. The best part was serving the children and their families.
This Workplace needs improvement
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 21, 2017
This agency needs more diversity training, management training, as well as sensitivity training for supervisors. The hardest part of this job is having supervisors who are not qualified for their positions and instructing workers to do wrong.
Pros
work with children
Cons
tearing families apart
A Great Place to Start a Carreer
Legal Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, TXJuly 14, 2017
I enjoyed working for a supportive supervisor. The work was challenging but also offered life-long rewards with regard to building my career. I would encourage others to work with the TDFPS to being a career in social work.
Pros
Good salary, support, team work
Cons
A lot of driving in personal vehicle
great workplce
CPS Investigator IV (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 12, 2017
you will learn a lot in this work place and grow as a professional. this job will open a lot of more doors in the community were you could work at.

management is not the best and you hardly ever got their back on you.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
Great place to work, but the workload is very high
CPS Investigations Worker II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2017
This job is not for the faint at heart. Requires more of your time so if you have families of your own you will not see much of them depending on your position.
All about the kiddos
CPS Caseworker II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2017
This job is not for the weak at heart. There is no typical day. If you are not ready to be flexible, see uncomfortable things or work closely with the perpetrators of abuse, you will not last long in this job. You definitely get plenty of opportunities to change peoples lives for the better, but if you abuse your position of authority or get lax in documenting or any role of your job, your role can lead to lead to devastating decisions made on behalf of families that could have long-lasting even life-threatening effects.
Pros
Families being reunited, permanent homes for children
Cons
long work hours, emotionally draining

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9