Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

Helping the elderly.
Adult Protective Services Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TexasAugust 31, 2015
Work is very flexible and supervisor is GREAT. You may have to work longer than 8 hours due to doing documentation. The job has a lot of driving but the company reimburses you each month.
Stressful but rewarding place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Working with families and the insurance benefits
Cons: rigid management
The work with the families and children was amazing and rewarding. The management is demanding and unforgiving and do not take into account the sacrifices of the workers and/or their families.
The position provided an excellent opportunity to provide direct services to families and children. Overall it was a wonderful experience.
Child Specialist V (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Direct Services to families and children
Cons: Heavy caseloads
I have worked with families and children throughout my career and retired from Oklahoma Department of Human Services as an administrator in Child Welfare Services. I desired to return to direct services and found the opportunity to do that through the Texas Department of Families and Services to Children.

It was delightful to have co-workers to work with and to learn from. The most difficult part of the job was the extremely large caseloads and long work hours which were often necessary to meet the needs of children, families, caretakers or demands of the Court system. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I had helped facilitate a child's return to their home, a mother being able to provide a home for her children and foremost, children were safer after intervening in their behalf.
Meaningful but very consuming work
Conservatorship Specialist II (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Decent benefits, lots of time off offered, mileage reimbursement
Cons: Difficult to take time off, extremely demanding job, too much stress
This is a very challenging job that many love and hate at the same time. There is a sense of satisfaction in helping families, but there is more work than is reasonable for any one person to accomplish. There is a lot of pressure to meet deadlines and always something new to learn. It is nearly impossible to turn the job off after work or take time off.
CPS Investigator - Lufkin
CPS SPECIALIST - INVESTIGATOR I (Former Employee), Lufkin, TXJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Pay, stipend, flexibility
Cons: No help, heavy caseloads, terrible office environment, gossiping, selfish people, high school behavior
Be prepared for this job, you will face a lot challenges. Their training program is a joke and they won't teach you much. They might as well just give a giant binder with all the rules and regulations in it. My experience was not great because no one was willing to help me when I finished training.

I was hired during a major transition period for the organization. They decided to make their employees mobile, meaning they worked from home mostly. No one was ever in my office and I felt like they kind of threw me out there. I only lasted a year.

Terrible office environment, lots of gossiping and adults behaving like they're in high school.

Advice to the "higher-ups" would be to make sure your supervisors are doing their jobs in helping newcomers. Even after asking my supervisors and other coworkers, I got no help. Everyone wants to benefit themselves and themselves only.

Good Luck!
Long Hours
Child Protective Services Investigator IV (Former Employee), Irving, TXJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Protect children, help families, provide resources
Cons: management, pay, hours
Long hours as an investigator with the expectation to make sure the children are safe at all times, even when you are not on the job. I enjoyed the job itself, but it was very demanding and some of the management was not supportive.
management
Protective Services Intake Specialist III (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 21, 2015
Pros: free health coverage
Management is not supportive in promoting. I have been working for the company for three years and I haven't bee introduced to a plan in working my way up the ladder.
Learning to work with numerous entites over the years.
Child Protective Supervisor II (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Ability to work diligently with children and families
Cons: Based on the emotional factor, can lead to quick burn out
TDPRS can be a demanding job as it involves working with abused children and their families. TDPRS also can lead to quick burn out if each employee does not take the time to properly balance work and home/social life which is important in all jobs. TDPRS can be rewarding when positive outcomes occur between children and their families and the employees at every level are able to bare witness to progress.
Different
INV (Current Employee), TexasJune 23, 2015
Poor management and traditional bureaucracy. Not for everyone, but it can be fun if you have the right supervisor. Difficult and rewarding.
Flexible job opportunity
Child Care Licensing Inspector (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 9, 2015
Management micromanages. Flexible job opportunity. However, it takes several years to move up within the agency.

Overall, it's a good first time job. Good opportunity to gain experience in Social Work and within the agency. With time there is room for advancement. If not within DFPS than with the State.
Overworked and underpaid
CPS Investigator Trainee (Former Employee), Galveston, TXJune 5, 2015
Pros: Helping to save the lives of neglected children.
Cons: Overworked and underpaid.
Working for the office that I worked at was crummy, and the supervisors were so unprofessional and not helping at all. Basically you attend training which does not at all prepare you for the field experience, and once training is complete you're thrown to the wolves as if you know your job.They expect you to learn as you go, and the experience I had was overwhelming and veeery stressful!!
Emotional draining but rewarding at times
Worker (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 27, 2015
This job gave a lot of advancement opportunities but it is very emotional draining and will take over your whole life. The job involves children removed from their parent's care and placed with a relative or foster care. the whole system is sneaky and biases.
Flexible but little room to advance
Foster/Adoption Specialist IV (Current Employee), casemanagerMay 15, 2015
The agency allows rooms for flexibility. It is very difficult to advance within the agency. The pay is very minimal and raises hardly ever occur on the case manager level.
A diverse group of co-workers to lean from
Human Services Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TX.May 13, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Need pay increase
No two days are the same, learning different ways of dealing with clients. Co-Workers are team-players and willing to help whenever possible.
huge responsibility
CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES INVESTIGATOR II (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 15, 2015
During a typical day at work, you juggle many different responsibilities, like interviewing children and families, reaching out to community resources, and writing legal documents. It is a hard job but it is worth it.
Okay
CPS Investigator (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 1, 2015
The job required too much of your time and did not allow for proper work life balance. The agency did not pay enough for the amount of work they expected you to do.
Not a fun job.
Investigator II (Former Employee), Jasper, TexasMarch 15, 2015
Pros: help abused children.
Cons: people do not like cps workers.
This job is not for everyone it is a very stressful job and you can have people hating you because you have taken their children away from them.
Caseworker
Investigative Caseworker (Current Employee), Alvin, TexasMarch 9, 2015
Pros: flexibility
A typical day is unheard of. The job entails a variety of different aspects in which changes occur frequently.
While working here I have learned to work with many different personalities. The hardest part of teh job is meeting time constraints for documemtation. The enjoyable part of the job is the flexibilty and cool people you meet while working here.
Constantly in change
Investigative Supervisor II (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 5, 2015
It taught me to be resourceful and think on my feet. Very chaotic work environment that taught me to deal with emergencies effectively.
Worked with families and children
Supervisor/Manager II (Former Employee), Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMarch 4, 2015
Pros: learned to work with multiple agencies
Cons: one cannot end their day until everything is completed.
Each person hired by the state is well aware of the time and commitment required for this job. It is a very rewarding field to be involved with. One learns how to be very organized, write extremely well, get along with departments, agencies and the public. One learns to be very detailed and also how to handle any emergency. This was an excellent opportunity.