Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

Intensive but Rewarding
Conservatorship Worker/ I See You Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJune 22, 2016
A typical work day at CPS will depend on which area you work in. What I can say for sure is that the job comes with high stress, it comes with wanting to put families first, it comes with wanting to put children first and their well being. This job is incredibly challenging, but rewarding at the same time. I enjoyed my time at CPS. I know the office I worked from was a supportive, positive and team built office. I know not all offices are the same.

Working as a caseworker you have to be mentally prepared to hear anything, a good listener, empathetic, patience, calm, tolerant, organized, and good with data entry skills. As a worker you have to be willing to have a voice to speak of the facts that you have found that serves in the best interest of the child. This can mean having different opinions from other caseworkers, supervisors or court. It is important that all facts are gathered to best serve the child and or family.

The best part of my job was my team, my co-workers, and the amazing children I met. It was hard work, but rewarding when you know you made a difference in at least one child's life.

The hardest part was not the 40-50 hours a week I put in, as I was compensated for that. The hardest part was pouring your heart into a job to help reunite a family and doing your best to help the parents only to see that they continued to choose drugs or lifestyle over the priority of the child. The other hard part is becoming too close to foster families only to find you have to send in a report due to suspected abuse or other issues. You do learn to balance
  more... it all and make boundaries where necessary.

People think working for CPS would be terrible and that they couldn't do it. CPS puts all new employees in an intensive training program. I think an employee quickly is able to compartmentalize their jobs and the stories they hear in order to work in this field. Keeping positive and remembering your purpose helps to keep one focused and grateful for what they do.

My management team was amazing and didn't throw me to the wolves. CPS trained me and my team also worked with me. I had a very good experience with CPS.
Pros
flexible hours, working from home, making a difference, meeting new people, team members, management, benefits, able to advance, training
Cons
Stress, children's stories, hearing what parents are capable of, lawyers, constant documenting (everything needs to be documented), long hours (however I didn't mind that) filing reports on abuse, having difficult and confrontational parents, having to stand your ground on facts that you have.
Rewarding and Sad
Conservatorship Worker (Former Employee) –  Andrews, TXNovember 22, 2016
This job is very difficult. You have to be sure you do not get attached. I worked with parents on working their services so that they could obtain custody of their children again. Should they decide not to do ask the court ordered I would have to present the case for parental termination. I wrote reports all the time, kept up with provider reports. All my notes had to be precise, detailed and current. The management left a lot to be desired. My co-workers varied - some were okay and others were not.
Pros
Reuniting families
Cons
Taking children away from their parents
Making a Difference
CPS Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TX 79412October 1, 2016
This is the place to be if you want to make a difference in a large part of the community. You must have the passion!

The work load is heavy, but this can be a very rewarding job. They do pay you for your hard work. Many lives can be saved and given great opportunities to grow, become stronger and succeed.

This job is for serious workers that can put in many hours!
Pros
You truely can make a difference!
Cons
Long work hours
Difficult but rewarding
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 8, 2016
The job as a child abuse investigator is tough but rewarding. Its a shame the pay is so small! It was a great job and better management/people than some jobs I have had.
Meaningful but very consuming work
Conservatorship Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 3, 2015
This is a very challenging job that many love and hate at the same time. There is a sense of satisfaction in helping families, but there is more work than is reasonable for any one person to accomplish. There is a lot of pressure to meet deadlines and always something new to learn. It is nearly impossible to turn the job off after work or take time off.
Pros
Decent benefits, lots of time off offered, mileage reimbursement
Cons
Difficult to take time off, extremely demanding job, too much stress
If you do not like casework, Do not take the Job!
Specialist (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TX 78504May 14, 2016
This line of work is not for everyone. It takes a special kind of person who genuinely cares about children and their families. This line of work is demanding and presents little to no reward. Do not expect any compliments from your superiors and be ready for unpaid overtime.
Pros
Flexible working hours. Free health insurance.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
Stressful but rewarding place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2015
The work with the families and children was amazing and rewarding. The management is demanding and unforgiving and do not take into account the sacrifices of the workers and/or their families.
Pros
Working with families and the insurance benefits
Cons
rigid management
CPS Specialist IV
Conservatorship (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 28, 2012
Very stressful culture. Very little reward involved. Usually have plenty of paid leave, more than I ever have time to actually take, which is nice. Mobile unit provides increased flexibility but also a major disconnect between unit members, supervisor, and other coworkers. Great for people who like to work individually and not in team settings.
Pros
somewhat flexible schedule, good work experience (if you can do this job, you can do any job), medical and dental benefits are somewhat decent, some flexibility in your day-to-day schedule
Cons
no opportunity for advancement or growth, low pay, high turnover rates and absorbing delinquent abandoned caseloads, only recognition tends to be for what youre doing wrong
Long Hours, Hard Work
Conservatorship Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 12, 2013
There is no such thing as a typical day at work. Every day is different with different circumstances arising.
I have learned that normal is subjective. I have learned how to help families and find resources.
My co-workers are understanding and kind as they have similar stress.
The most difficult part of the job is seeing parents who are so deep in their addiction that they cannot do the right things to have their children returned.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when children are reunited with family members who have successfully completed their services, have been punctual and concerned, and have made a complete turn around for their children.
Pros
Flexibility and great benefits.
Cons
Long hours, emotionally draining, you do not make decisions, people look at it as a regular 9-5 job and it is not, dealing with families who do not realize what they are doing wrong.
I was happy helping people
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 8, 2016
A Typical Day Working For Child And Family Protective Services

My day always started off with having to prioritize the many situation that would take place in a day, or that took place the night before I got to work. I had to manage a case load, up to 20 families at any given time. I multi-tasked always by visiting homes, making assessment to determine what the clients need were. I then set up any of the needs of the entire family. The best part of this job was that I was helping the success of the family.
Pros
What I liked most was being independent, because I am a self starter.
Cons
What I disliked most was the late night visits to homes.
Over worked Underpaid
Kinship Development Caseworker IV (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2014
The job is great if you're looking for flexibility, but the expectaitions can be unrealistic and does not relfect the hard work. The job requries you to put yourself in dangerous situations at time. As with any job it benefits you to have an understanding and supportive supervisor. Unfortuanately, that is not always the case. This would definitely not be the job for you if you are looking for advancement or high pay.
Pros
Medical benefits are paid for the employee.
Cons
Moral is low and there is a high turn around rate because of the low pay, favortism and unrealistic expectations of the employees.
Great Learning Experience
Child Protective Services Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2014
Everyday is different at this company, some days are extremely busy other days are not as busy.
I learned a lot working for this company, in particular how to communicate with people from many different backgrounds.
My co-workers are hardworking individuals who love protecting the unprotected.
The hardest part of the job, is definitely having to hear about or see a child that has been hurt or neglected in anyway.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make a difference and add a sense of normalcy to a child's life.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Minimal Cost of Living Raises
Excellent benefits; tough job that is not for many people
Legal Liaison, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Angleton, TX (near Houston, TX)December 28, 2013
My job requires many skills and an ability to manage many tasks, all of which are important. I have learned to prioritize and multi-task. Most days, my plans are thwarted by an unexpected event that causes me to focus on a different project. My immediate management is very supportive and my co-workers are the most enjoyable part of my job. I really enjoy the opportunities to problem solve. The hardest part of my job is maintaining composure in challenging situations.
Pros
great benefits and co-workers
Cons
emotionally difficult at times, low salaries
Productive and fast paced environment
Foster Home Development Worker (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, TXMarch 6, 2013
I learn to accept people they way they are, invest in the children in the homes and not be judgmental. My co workers are dedicated to children and their needs. The hardest part of the job is placing a child in a foster home that has no idea who, what or understand why this is happening. Having to split up sibling groups because there are no homes for all of them to go to. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing my blessing coming from God, and not these parents, when I do right by the child.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no raises
Honorable Job, but Not Worth It
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 3, 2013
Worked for DFPS for four years in three different positions, but never as a caseworker. I've found that in each job you learn valuable skills (such as how to use various computer programs, and work with difficult clients who are in a state of high emotional stress), but the majority of the people I've worked with are not driven to succeed and will ride out their career at a job that pays less than the national average because they can get by doing little to no work. There are some people in state office who work extremely hard, caseworkers in the field too, but most employees do the bare minimum and have no accountability. Whenever an issue arises, it's a constant toss the blame game. It's not a place to go if you want to surround yourself with intelligent or innovative ideas. Policies are extremely outdated and take a long time to update. It's a government agency, so there's going to be a lot of red tape. I thought the mission of the agency would be enough to motivate me, but I am getting tired of the extremely low pay and stagnant environment.
Pros
Decent benefits, plenty of vacation and sick days.
Cons
low pay; poor morale (everyone is stressed constantly); poor communication between regions/divisions
Flexible but little room to advance
Foster/Adoption Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  casemanagerMay 15, 2015
The agency allows rooms for flexibility. It is very difficult to advance within the agency. The pay is very minimal and raises hardly ever occur on the case manager level.
Challenging and Rewarding
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, TXDecember 14, 2014
Overall a great organization to work for. An exceptional example of where being both a team player and individually motivated comes into play as being a key aspect of the job. Have to be willing to work hours outside the normal 8a-5p scope. Great benefits and many opportunities to advance.
Pros
Working with a diverse group of people on a daily basis
Cons
Unpredictable, no day is ever the same.
horrible
case worker II (Former Employee) –  texasJune 25, 2013
Horrible job, bad management, impossible caseloads, no advancement EVER, LOW PAY, AND LETS NOT FORGET...This job can get you killed. Lookers beware!
Pros
benefits are decent
Cons
bad mgmt, low pay, impossible caseloads, and dangerous
Rewarding job but comes with a lot of stress
Conservatorship Specialist III and FBSS (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXFebruary 2, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Child Protective Services. It is a very rewarding job getting to help children and families. The pay rate could be better due to the amount of stress it comes with and the high intensity it requires. I loved the employees I worked with and it feels like a family.
Good, stable employment
CPS Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasFebruary 12, 2015
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services was a good and stable source of employment with great benefits.
Pros
Flexible schedule, able to work from home
Cons
Rules changed often

2.8