Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services

Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employer Reviews

Overall
Social Worker (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 14, 2014
Pros: hotel discounts
Cons: stressed all the time.
It is a good to gain the social work/case work experience. But not a job I would recommend to anyone for retirement. The work load is extremely high, the demands of the job wears you down.
Fast paced and intense work environment.
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Current Employee), San Antonio, TexasMarch 31, 2014
Meeting with several clients daily and ensuring a safe home environment for children and families.
Great Learning Experience
Child Protective Services Specialist III (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 25, 2014
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: minimal cost of living raises
Everyday is different at this company, some days are extremely busy other days are not as busy.
I learned a lot working for this company, in particular how to communicate with people from many different backgrounds.
My co-workers are hardworking individuals who love protecting the unprotected.
The hardest part of the job, is definitely having to hear – more... about or see a child that has been hurt or neglected in anyway.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make a difference and add a sense of normalcy to a child's life. – less
NA
Conservatorship Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 12, 2014
Pros: benefits.
Cons: pay.
Very stable job. Work environment can be very stressful, turnover rate is very high.
A Busy Environment
Convservatorship Specialist II (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: flexible, health insurance is free for the employee.
Cons: lots of paper work
This is great place to work. It is very flexible. This job is never boring and you have to be Ready for the unknowing!
Over worked Underpaid
Kinship Development Caseworker IV (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: medical benefits are paid for the employee.
Cons: moral is low and there is a high turn around rate because of the low pay, favortism and unrealistic expectations of the employees.
The job is great if you're looking for flexibility, but the expectaitions can be unrealistic and does not relfect the hard work. The job requries you to put yourself in dangerous situations at time. As with any job it benefits you to have an understanding and supportive supervisor. Unfortuanately, that is not always the case. This would definitely not – more... be the job for you if you are looking for advancement or high pay. – less
Children Protective Services
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2014
CPS is a great company. They go above and beyond to save children and make peoples lives better.
Steady work place
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee), San Angelo, TXJanuary 8, 2014
In this field, I learned that child abuse can occur at any day and at any time. Time management skills are a must in this field, you have to be flexible. I loved this job because I was able to help families and children obtain the necessary resources they needed.
Excellent benefits; tough job that is not for many people
Legal Liaison, Supervisor (Current Employee), Angleton, TX (near Houston, TX)December 28, 2013
Pros: great benefits and co-workers
Cons: emotionally difficult at times, low salaries
My job requires many skills and an ability to manage many tasks, all of which are important. I have learned to prioritize and multi-task. Most days, my plans are thwarted by an unexpected event that causes me to focus on a different project. My immediate management is very supportive and my co-workers are the most enjoyable part of my job. I really – more... enjoy the opportunities to problem solve. The hardest part of my job is maintaining composure in challenging situations. – less
High stress; invaluable experience; amazing co-workers
CPS Conservatorship Specialist II (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 18, 2013
High-paced, high stress job; however, I gained invaluable experience via the many duties and responsibilities as well as personal growth dealing with difficult situations on a daily basis.
Long hours, never caught up in paperwork, not rewarding, no overtime pay
RN (Former Employee), San AngeloDecember 9, 2013
Pros: no insurance cost off holidays
Cons: no overtime pay, just flex, can't take off unless u have coverage
Can't do client care due to the paperwork, and required data and reports due, meetings. Not the reason I got into nursing, but yet expected to know your clients. 10 hours minimal in weekly meetings.
Great Employer
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee), Galveston, TexasNovember 17, 2013
Great leadership/upper management. Training is extensive and appropriate.
Fun place to work if you have an experienced Supervisor
Children Protective Specialist IV (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 9, 2013
Cons: driving your own car to visits
The hardest part of the job is working with inexperienced supervisor.
Horrible hours and bad managers!
Investigator II (Former Employee), RGVNovember 6, 2013
Cons: supervisors, hours, using your own car.
After a 13 hour day you still had to input data into the system from your mobile computer from home. Therefor, the hours were long and the pay was low.

P.S.
You were still working but for no pay.
Workload so bad investigators make up fake interviews.
Investigator (Former Employee), Bell CountyOctober 11, 2013
Cons: poor management; poor morale; unrealistic workload
Be very aware of the region you choose to work for if you are applying. The management in some regions is good, in most it is HORRIBLE and full of favoritism.
I worked here for three years as an Investigator. This job does not allow you to apply LOGIC to any of the cases you investigate. You will work over ten hours a day and even if you end up in the – more... emergency room you will get calls from your supervisor telling you to go to an investigation.
I was working with another (seasoned) investigator (who the management thought was the "investigator of the century") and found multiple marijuana plants growing in a home; when I suggested we contact local law enforcement (which is department policy), the 'investigator of the century' told me not to and the 'plants were not tall enough to contact local authorities... really. Now I know how she kept up with her workload.
Speaking of workload, it is unreasonable. They never have enough staff to handle the workload. Supervisors often talked about workers behind their backs.
BAD environment, poor morale.
There is no 'typical' day
If you even show a hint of success, you get other investigators workload. – less
Be prepared to never see your family
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Current Employee), Killeen, TXOctober 10, 2013
Working for DFPS is rewarding, especially when you remove a child from a home environment that is horrible. However, you are a number, a warm body, and someone who will eventually leave the position due to stress and anxiety.
Working with families
Conservatorship Caseworker (Current Employee), Plano, TXOctober 2, 2013
Was an exciting time in my life where I worked closely with the community resources and foster families to meet the needs of children in state care.
The benefits and flexibility is great....the advancement and recognition are the complete opposite.
Administrative Technician I (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 26, 2013
Pros: benefits and flexibility
Cons: no means for advancement/favoritism
I have worked with Child Protective Services for over 6 years; I have worked with the State of Texas for over 7. I started with the Department of Aging and Disability services as a clerk for getting aged and disabled people services, such as, home health, adult daycare, emergency response systems, etc. A typical day at work consists of me reading over – more... emails, printing out dockets from the courts, answering phone calls and tending to my supervisor and my unit. I have learned so much working with the department. I have learned the whole process that it takes for a family to go through while we have a case in CPS. There are many stages if things go wrong. I initially started working with investigations, which is the first stage a family goes through when a case is called in. I worked with Investigations for 6 years. Working in investigations was more fast paced and workers were always on their toes, therefore, I had to be always a step ahead to prevent myself from falling behind. Now, working in an adoption unit, the job is more slow paced and not a lot of things are happening. Adoptions is usually the last stage when we try and find out children that are a ward of the state their "forever home." I have met many people while working here, there is a lot of diversity in not only our peers, but our cases as well. The downside of the job, is there is no incentive for your clerical staff. Staff are overworked and underpaid and there is no means of advancement. The State of Texas does not grant merit raises often, but when they do, you are not likely to see one given to your clerical staff. No matter how much work you put into the job, there is no recognition and if you do want to advance, you are not likely to have a good word put in for you from the higher ups. The job has become boring and lifeless. The best part of working at the state is the benefits and flexibility that come along with it. – less
A difficult job but can be very rewarding when you are able to help a family or child in need.
Special Investigator (Former Employee), Killeen, TXAugust 14, 2013
Pros: job security and room for advancement.
Cons: difficult to balance work and home.
A very difficult place to work due to the abuse and neglect you see that occurs to children. It can be very rewarding when you are able to actually help a child or family.
No room for true advancement
CPS Specialist (Former Employee), DFWAugust 6, 2013
As with any other company, who you know will take you far. Looking for another job.

1 2 3