Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services

Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employer Reviews

Challenging and Rewarding
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee), Lake Worth, TXDecember 14, 2014
Pros: working with a diverse group of people on a daily basis
Cons: unpredictable, no day is ever the same.
Overall a great organization to work for. An exceptional example of where being both a team player and individually motivated comes into play as being a key aspect of the job. Have to be willing to work hours outside the normal 8a-5p scope. Great benefits and many opportunities to advance.
Wonderful place to work
Human Services Technician (Current Employee), Austin, TXDecember 1, 2014
Cons: not enough pay
If you love helping others who are unable to help themselves, this is the place for you.
fast paced job
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Former Employee), Killeen, TXNovember 28, 2014
This job was a learning experience for me. It was long hours and a lot of work. I learned how to interview parents and children that were under investigation for complaints of child abuse. The hardest part of the job was having to see actual cases where the child was hurt.
Stressful Job Environment
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 11, 2014
Although I enjoyed the job itself, the work environment is stressful and demanding. I could not plan a life outside of work, and the expectations were unattainable.
Management is inconsistent.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 2, 2014
Policy and procedures are open to interpretation; very inconsistent.
Productive and fun job
Investigator (Former Employee), Copperas Cove, TXNovember 2, 2014
Pros: i liked everything about this job
Cons: i didn't have a permanent status & pay could be better.
I really liked this law enforcement job. I loved my supervisors, leads, co-workers (civilians & soldiers), location and work I did.
Life as a CPS worker
Child Protective Services Investigator IV (Current Employee), Plano, TXOctober 31, 2014
I have been a CPS Investigator for nine years. My experience has been rewarding yet challenging. Relationships have been built with peers as well as professionals such as law enforcement officials, school staff and medical staff, etc. The knowledge that I have gained has been monumental. Working with a vast array of clients has been rewarding and interesting. – more... The schedule has the potential to be flexible although some days require working until very late hours of the night. The hardest part of the job to me was placing children in foster care. The most enjoyable part is the help that can be offered to families to preserve the family. I enjoy talking with the children and clients and being able to make a difference. – less
Good benefits and good co-workers
Foster/Adopt Development (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 8, 2014
Helping child and families. Long hours and stressful environment. Good benefits and good co-workers.
Great teamwork.
Adult Protective Specialist IV-Caseworker (Former Employee), Alamo TexasSeptember 23, 2014
I was able to meet a lot of interesting individuals with a great knowledge of history. My co-workers were team players and were great communicators. Policy and changes were often given to employees. I enjoyed helping and assisting clients.
Good job
CPS INVESTIGATOR (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Good job - overwhelming at times, two many cases assigned to the case workers/investigators. I worked as an investigator for a period of 10 months. I was offered a job at Weslaco Independent School District.
A very productive low rewarding environment
Child Protective Services Investigator Specialist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2014
Investigating allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking the necessary steps to protect children. This could include removing a child from their family.
Interviewing people in the case such as the person who reports it, family members, doctors, nurses, and others familiar with the family situation.
Checking children for signs of abuse or neglect.
Talking – more... frankly and objectively with families about income, money management, abuse, and personal relationships that they will probably consider personal and private.
Testifying in court and preparing comprehensive reports of investigative findings that support recommendations to the court.
Documenting all relevant and appropriate information and completing all required forms.
Serving as liaison to social service agencies, schools, local law enforcement agencies, and attorneys.
Working under constant deadlines that require prioritizing efforts and flexible work hours.
Maintaining a balance of objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful and crisis situations. – less
Investigator II fort worth tx
CPS Investigation Worker II (Current Employee), north txJuly 30, 2014
Pros: learn something new everyday, help a family in need
Cons: no support, no matter what time has been put into work still didn't matter
Caseloads very high. Was told by a supervisor in order to spend time in outside work activities(family, friends, dates), I needed to figure out how to submit my cases in a timely fashion in order to participate in outside work activities. I have spent time to catch up work by working on weekends, and working after hours with a 35+ caseload. When does – more... it end..was able to turn in 12 of my cases in a weeks time. Supervisor emailed," I see you have submitted several cases, but what about these other 4 cases". – less
Very Productive workplace. It is a great place to obtain work experience.
CPS Specialist II (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 27, 2014
Pros: a lot of flexibilty, case management
Cons: with the amount of flexibilty it is possible for workers to become lackadaisical.
Working for Child Protective Services provides good experience. It allows you to manage several cases, and determine the parents capabilites to successfully provide for and ensure their child/children safety. A typical can range from working in the office, or working in the field. Caseworkers are required to make recommendations to the court on the – more... parents abilities and inabilities to correctly parent their child. – less
N/A
APS In-Home Specialist I (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 22, 2014
I was able to gain a lot of knowledge working for this company. This is all I have to say about this employer.
Substitute Teaching
APS SPECIALIST III (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 2, 2014
I dont have too many complaints about the district. The work was steady and the pay was adequate for that time in my life. If you are able to deal with children you will be fine.
Call Center
STATEWIDE INTAKE SPECIALIST II (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 23, 2014
Take calls--constantly assessing if vulnerable populations are being abused/neglected as defined in the Texas state legislation.
Overall, I learned a lot and had some good and bad times at DFPS/CPS. It is a great place to gain trumendous work experience and people skills.
CPS Investigator (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 11, 2014
Pros: co-worker support, luncheons and holiday unit gatherings.
Cons: workload, removals and false allegations.
I day of work could start in the office or on the field at a clients house. I would either go to a kid's school and make contact with him or her their or at their home. It was interesting as I would have to question children about their life at home (concerning parenting, discipline and daily activities. Also, after every initial contact, I would have – more... to document what happened.

I learned that each family structure is different and that one cannot make judgements before meeting and investigating the family's situation. I also learned that if you can help the parents, you will positively help the children; however, parents may not always be helped.

I honestly think that communication is key between management and employee. I had some good experience and unfortunately some bad experiences. Management was both strong and weak at times. I do not want to say anything negative about managers because of my respect for authority.

My co-workers and I got along really well. We were able to work together efficiently. We were are great support for each other. There was mutual respect and a lot of team bonding. I am grateful for those I worked with.

Documenting and the workload was the hardest part of the job. There was always so much documenting and if there was a removal, the case did not stop coming. The job was high stress and demanding much of my time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was co-worker support. Knowing that I could count on my co-workers, helped so much with my sanity. I learned so much about team work. – less
Overall
Social Worker (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 14, 2014
Pros: hotel discounts
Cons: stressed all the time.
It is a good to gain the social work/case work experience. But not a job I would recommend to anyone for retirement. The work load is extremely high, the demands of the job wears you down.
Fast paced and intense work environment.
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Current Employee), San Antonio, TexasMarch 31, 2014
Meeting with several clients daily and ensuring a safe home environment for children and families.
Great Learning Experience
Child Protective Services Specialist III (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 25, 2014
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: minimal cost of living raises
Everyday is different at this company, some days are extremely busy other days are not as busy.
I learned a lot working for this company, in particular how to communicate with people from many different backgrounds.
My co-workers are hardworking individuals who love protecting the unprotected.
The hardest part of the job, is definitely having to hear – more... about or see a child that has been hurt or neglected in anyway.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make a difference and add a sense of normalcy to a child's life. – less

1 2 3 4