Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews in United States

I was happy helping people
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 8, 2016
A Typical Day Working For Child And Family Protective Services

My day always started off with having to prioritize the many situation that would take place in a day, or that took place the night before I got to work. I had to manage a case load, up to 20 families at any given time. I multi-tasked always by visiting homes, making assessment to determine what the clients need were. I then set up any of the needs of the entire family. The best part of this job was that I was helping the success of the family.
Pros
What I liked most was being independent, because I am a self starter.
Cons
What I disliked most was the late night visits to homes.
Stressful but rewarding place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2015
The work with the families and children was amazing and rewarding. The management is demanding and unforgiving and do not take into account the sacrifices of the workers and/or their families.
Pros
Working with families and the insurance benefits
Cons
rigid management
A very good, consistent career opportunity
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 11, 2015
This was a very busy position; I started my days running but the craziness of the job was great. Management was awesome and very helpful as well.
Pros
A good, consistent job for a small community.
Cons
At times you feel like you're overworked due to the number of cases and low amount of caseworkers.
The position provided an excellent opportunity to provide direct services to families and children. Overall it was a wonderful experience.
Child Specialist V (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2015
I have worked with families and children throughout my career and retired from Oklahoma Department of Human Services as an administrator in Child Welfare Services. I desired to return to direct services and found the opportunity to do that through the Texas Department of Families and Services to Children.

It was delightful to have co-workers to work with and to learn from. The most difficult part of the job was the extremely large caseloads and long work hours which were often necessary to meet the needs of children, families, caretakers or demands of the Court system. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I had helped facilitate a child's return to their home, a mother being able to provide a home for her children and foremost, children were safer after intervening in their behalf.
Pros
Direct Services to families and children
Cons
Heavy caseloads
Long Hours
Child Protective Services Investigator IV (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 22, 2015
Long hours as an investigator with the expectation to make sure the children are safe at all times, even when you are not on the job. I enjoyed the job itself, but it was very demanding and some of the management was not supportive.
Pros
Protect children, help families, provide resources
Cons
management, pay, hours
Overall
Child Protective Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 11, 2015
Typical day at work requires a lot of driving and critical thinking when dealing with caregivers. It also requires a lot of case management and entering reports timely.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay is not worth the stress
A busy and multitasking place to work for.
Conservatorship worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 15, 2015
Organizational skills are a must to survive in this job. As a legal worker, I had to prep court documents, attend and testify in the court room, assist children with emotional and traumatic situations, create child and family plans, keep up with parents and their services, set up services, and document everything that happens in each case. I enjoyed working with my families and coworkers and had a great boss. Legal workers are definitely overworked and under paid. Keeping up with all the cases can be very difficult and stressful.
Meaningful but very consuming work
Conservatorship Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 3, 2015
This is a very challenging job that many love and hate at the same time. There is a sense of satisfaction in helping families, but there is more work than is reasonable for any one person to accomplish. There is a lot of pressure to meet deadlines and always something new to learn. It is nearly impossible to turn the job off after work or take time off.
Pros
Decent benefits, lots of time off offered, mileage reimbursement
Cons
Difficult to take time off, extremely demanding job, too much stress
Flexible job opportunity
Child Care Licensing Inspector (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 9, 2015
Management micromanages. Flexible job opportunity. However, it takes several years to move up within the agency.

Overall, it's a good first time job. Good opportunity to gain experience in Social Work and within the agency. With time there is room for advancement. If not within DFPS than with the State.
Rewarding job but comes with a lot of stress
Conservatorship Specialist III and FBSS (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXFebruary 2, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Child Protective Services. It is a very rewarding job getting to help children and families. The pay rate could be better due to the amount of stress it comes with and the high intensity it requires. I loved the employees I worked with and it feels like a family.
Productive workplace
Investigator IV (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 13, 2015
This job is very rewarding. There is supportive management with good team work. However, this job can be very stressful and is not for everyone.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
fast paced work enviroment with plenty of work to keep busy
Contract Technician III (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXSeptember 2, 2015
I learned time management, computer skills, contract management skills and what it's like to handle your own workload in a timely manner
Flexible but little room to advance
Foster/Adoption Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  casemanagerMay 15, 2015
The agency allows rooms for flexibility. It is very difficult to advance within the agency. The pay is very minimal and raises hardly ever occur on the case manager level.
CPS Investigator - Lufkin
CPS SPECIALIST - INVESTIGATOR I (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXJuly 23, 2015
Be prepared for this job, you will face a lot challenges. Their training program is a joke and they won't teach you much. They might as well just give a giant binder with all the rules and regulations in it. My experience was not great because no one was willing to help me when I finished training.

I was hired during a major transition period for the organization. They decided to make their employees mobile, meaning they worked from home mostly. No one was ever in my office and I felt like they kind of threw me out there. I only lasted a year.

Terrible office environment, lots of gossiping and adults behaving like they're in high school.

Advice to the "higher-ups" would be to make sure your supervisors are doing their jobs in helping newcomers. Even after asking my supervisors and other coworkers, I got no help. Everyone wants to benefit themselves and themselves only.

Good Luck!
Pros
Pay, stipend, flexibility
Cons
No help, heavy caseloads, terrible office environment, gossiping, selfish people, high school behavior
CPS Specialist IV
Conservatorship (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 28, 2012
Very stressful culture. Very little reward involved. Usually have plenty of paid leave, more than I ever have time to actually take, which is nice. Mobile unit provides increased flexibility but also a major disconnect between unit members, supervisor, and other coworkers. Great for people who like to work individually and not in team settings.
Pros
somewhat flexible schedule, good work experience (if you can do this job, you can do any job), medical and dental benefits are somewhat decent, some flexibility in your day-to-day schedule
Cons
no opportunity for advancement or growth, low pay, high turnover rates and absorbing delinquent abandoned caseloads, only recognition tends to be for what youre doing wrong
management
Protective Services Intake Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 21, 2015
Management is not supportive in promoting. I have been working for the company for three years and I haven't bee introduced to a plan in working my way up the ladder.
Pros
free health coverage
It has changed.
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 16, 2015
The agency has changed for the better since I was there. It is not an 8-5 job. Co-workers were great. Hardest part was seeing injured kids or dealing with child deaths.
Learning to work with numerous entites over the years.
Child Protective Supervisor II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2015
TDPRS can be a demanding job as it involves working with abused children and their families. TDPRS also can lead to quick burn out if each employee does not take the time to properly balance work and home/social life which is important in all jobs. TDPRS can be rewarding when positive outcomes occur between children and their families and the employees at every level are able to bare witness to progress.
Pros
Ability to work diligently with children and families
Cons
Based on the emotional factor, can lead to quick burn out
Good Cause
CVS Specialist II (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 10, 2015
You will never be caught up on paperwork. It is hard to balance personal and job life. The co-workers are the best part of the job. They are supportive and all have the same common goal to help others.
Emotional draining but rewarding at times
Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2015
This job gave a lot of advancement opportunities but it is very emotional draining and will take over your whole life. The job involves children removed from their parent's care and placed with a relative or foster care. the whole system is sneaky and biases.