Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services

Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employer Reviews

Investigator II fort worth tx
CPS Investigation Worker II (Current Employee), north txJuly 30, 2014
Pros: learn something new everyday, help a family in need
Cons: no support, no matter what time has been put into work still didn't matter
Caseloads very high. Was told by a supervisor in order to spend time in outside work activities(family, friends, dates), I needed to figure out how to submit my cases in a timely fashion in order to participate in outside work activities. I have spent time to catch up work by working on weekends, and working after hours with a 35+ caseload. When does – more... it end..was able to turn in 12 of my cases in a weeks time. Supervisor emailed," I see you have submitted several cases, but what about these other 4 cases". – less
Very Productive workplace. It is a great place to obtain work experience.
CPS Specialist II (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 27, 2014
Pros: a lot of flexibilty, case management
Cons: with the amount of flexibilty it is possible for workers to become lackadaisical.
Working for Child Protective Services provides good experience. It allows you to manage several cases, and determine the parents capabilites to successfully provide for and ensure their child/children safety. A typical can range from working in the office, or working in the field. Caseworkers are required to make recommendations to the court on the – more... parents abilities and inabilities to correctly parent their child. – less
N/A
APS In-Home Specialist I (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 22, 2014
I was able to gain a lot of knowledge working for this company. This is all I have to say about this employer.
Substitute Teaching
APS SPECIALIST III (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 2, 2014
I dont have too many complaints about the district. The work was steady and the pay was adequate for that time in my life. If you are able to deal with children you will be fine.
Call Center
STATEWIDE INTAKE SPECIALIST II (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 23, 2014
Take calls--constantly assessing if vulnerable populations are being abused/neglected as defined in the Texas state legislation.
Overall, I learned a lot and had some good and bad times at DFPS/CPS. It is a great place to gain trumendous work experience and people skills.
CPS Investigator (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 11, 2014
Pros: co-worker support, luncheons and holiday unit gatherings.
Cons: workload, removals and false allegations.
I day of work could start in the office or on the field at a clients house. I would either go to a kid's school and make contact with him or her their or at their home. It was interesting as I would have to question children about their life at home (concerning parenting, discipline and daily activities. Also, after every initial contact, I would have – more... to document what happened.

I learned that each family structure is different and that one cannot make judgements before meeting and investigating the family's situation. I also learned that if you can help the parents, you will positively help the children; however, parents may not always be helped.

I honestly think that communication is key between management and employee. I had some good experience and unfortunately some bad experiences. Management was both strong and weak at times. I do not want to say anything negative about managers because of my respect for authority.

My co-workers and I got along really well. We were able to work together efficiently. We were are great support for each other. There was mutual respect and a lot of team bonding. I am grateful for those I worked with.

Documenting and the workload was the hardest part of the job. There was always so much documenting and if there was a removal, the case did not stop coming. The job was high stress and demanding much of my time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was co-worker support. Knowing that I could count on my co-workers, helped so much with my sanity. I learned so much about team work. – less
Overall
Social Worker (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 14, 2014
Pros: hotel discounts
Cons: stressed all the time.
It is a good to gain the social work/case work experience. But not a job I would recommend to anyone for retirement. The work load is extremely high, the demands of the job wears you down.
Fast paced and intense work environment.
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Current Employee), San Antonio, TexasMarch 31, 2014
Meeting with several clients daily and ensuring a safe home environment for children and families.
Great Learning Experience
Child Protective Services Specialist III (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 25, 2014
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: minimal cost of living raises
Everyday is different at this company, some days are extremely busy other days are not as busy.
I learned a lot working for this company, in particular how to communicate with people from many different backgrounds.
My co-workers are hardworking individuals who love protecting the unprotected.
The hardest part of the job, is definitely having to hear – more... about or see a child that has been hurt or neglected in anyway.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make a difference and add a sense of normalcy to a child's life. – less
A Busy Environment
Convservatorship Specialist II (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: flexible, health insurance is free for the employee.
Cons: lots of paper work
This is great place to work. It is very flexible. This job is never boring and you have to be Ready for the unknowing!
Over worked Underpaid
Kinship Development Caseworker IV (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: medical benefits are paid for the employee.
Cons: moral is low and there is a high turn around rate because of the low pay, favortism and unrealistic expectations of the employees.
The job is great if you're looking for flexibility, but the expectaitions can be unrealistic and does not relfect the hard work. The job requries you to put yourself in dangerous situations at time. As with any job it benefits you to have an understanding and supportive supervisor. Unfortuanately, that is not always the case. This would definitely not – more... be the job for you if you are looking for advancement or high pay. – less
Children Protective Services
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2014
CPS is a great company. They go above and beyond to save children and make peoples lives better.
Steady work place
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee), San Angelo, TXJanuary 8, 2014
In this field, I learned that child abuse can occur at any day and at any time. Time management skills are a must in this field, you have to be flexible. I loved this job because I was able to help families and children obtain the necessary resources they needed.
Excellent benefits; tough job that is not for many people
Legal Liaison, Supervisor (Current Employee), Angleton, TX (near Houston, TX)December 28, 2013
Pros: great benefits and co-workers
Cons: emotionally difficult at times, low salaries
My job requires many skills and an ability to manage many tasks, all of which are important. I have learned to prioritize and multi-task. Most days, my plans are thwarted by an unexpected event that causes me to focus on a different project. My immediate management is very supportive and my co-workers are the most enjoyable part of my job. I really – more... enjoy the opportunities to problem solve. The hardest part of my job is maintaining composure in challenging situations. – less
High stress; invaluable experience; amazing co-workers
CPS Conservatorship Specialist II (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 18, 2013
High-paced, high stress job; however, I gained invaluable experience via the many duties and responsibilities as well as personal growth dealing with difficult situations on a daily basis.
Long hours, never caught up in paperwork, not rewarding, no overtime pay
RN (Former Employee), San AngeloDecember 9, 2013
Pros: no insurance cost off holidays
Cons: no overtime pay, just flex, can't take off unless u have coverage
Can't do client care due to the paperwork, and required data and reports due, meetings. Not the reason I got into nursing, but yet expected to know your clients. 10 hours minimal in weekly meetings.
Great Employer
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee), Galveston, TexasNovember 17, 2013
Great leadership/upper management. Training is extensive and appropriate.
Fun place to work if you have an experienced Supervisor
Children Protective Specialist IV (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 9, 2013
Cons: driving your own car to visits
The hardest part of the job is working with inexperienced supervisor.
Horrible hours and bad managers!
Investigator II (Former Employee), RGVNovember 6, 2013
Cons: supervisors, hours, using your own car.
After a 13 hour day you still had to input data into the system from your mobile computer from home. Therefor, the hours were long and the pay was low.

P.S.
You were still working but for no pay.
Workload so bad investigators make up fake interviews.
Investigator (Former Employee), Bell CountyOctober 11, 2013
Cons: poor management; poor morale; unrealistic workload
Be very aware of the region you choose to work for if you are applying. The management in some regions is good, in most it is HORRIBLE and full of favoritism.
I worked here for three years as an Investigator. This job does not allow you to apply LOGIC to any of the cases you investigate. You will work over ten hours a day and even if you end up in the – more... emergency room you will get calls from your supervisor telling you to go to an investigation.
I was working with another (seasoned) investigator (who the management thought was the "investigator of the century") and found multiple marijuana plants growing in a home; when I suggested we contact local law enforcement (which is department policy), the 'investigator of the century' told me not to and the 'plants were not tall enough to contact local authorities... really. Now I know how she kept up with her workload.
Speaking of workload, it is unreasonable. They never have enough staff to handle the workload. Supervisors often talked about workers behind their backs.
BAD environment, poor morale.
There is no 'typical' day
If you even show a hint of success, you get other investigators workload. – less

1 2 3