Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews in United States

Meaningful but very consuming work
Conservatorship Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 3, 2015
This is a very challenging job that many love and hate at the same time. There is a sense of satisfaction in helping families, but there is more work than is reasonable for any one person to accomplish. There is a lot of pressure to meet deadlines and always something new to learn. It is nearly impossible to turn the job off after work or take time off.
Pros
Decent benefits, lots of time off offered, mileage reimbursement
Cons
Difficult to take time off, extremely demanding job, too much stress
Stressful but rewarding place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2015
The work with the families and children was amazing and rewarding. The management is demanding and unforgiving and do not take into account the sacrifices of the workers and/or their families.
Pros
Working with families and the insurance benefits
Cons
rigid management
I was happy helping people
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 8, 2016
A Typical Day Working For Child And Family Protective Services

My day always started off with having to prioritize the many situation that would take place in a day, or that took place the night before I got to work. I had to manage a case load, up to 20 families at any given time. I multi-tasked always by visiting homes, making assessment to determine what the clients need were. I then set up any of the needs of the entire family. The best part of this job was that I was helping the success of the family.
Pros
What I liked most was being independent, because I am a self starter.
Cons
What I disliked most was the late night visits to homes.
If you do not like casework, Do not take the Job!
Specialist (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TX 78504May 14, 2016
This line of work is not for everyone. It takes a special kind of person who genuinely cares about children and their families. This line of work is demanding and presents little to no reward. Do not expect any compliments from your superiors and be ready for unpaid overtime.
Pros
Flexible working hours. Free health insurance.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
Flexible but little room to advance
Foster/Adoption Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  casemanagerMay 15, 2015
The agency allows rooms for flexibility. It is very difficult to advance within the agency. The pay is very minimal and raises hardly ever occur on the case manager level.
A very good, consistent career opportunity
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 11, 2015
This was a very busy position; I started my days running but the craziness of the job was great. Management was awesome and very helpful as well.
Pros
A good, consistent job for a small community.
Cons
At times you feel like you're overworked due to the number of cases and low amount of caseworkers.
A busy and multitasking place to work for.
Conservatorship worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 15, 2015
Organizational skills are a must to survive in this job. As a legal worker, I had to prep court documents, attend and testify in the court room, assist children with emotional and traumatic situations, create child and family plans, keep up with parents and their services, set up services, and document everything that happens in each case. I enjoyed working with my families and coworkers and had a great boss. Legal workers are definitely overworked and under paid. Keeping up with all the cases can be very difficult and stressful.
Rewarding job but comes with a lot of stress
Conservatorship Specialist III and FBSS (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXFebruary 2, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Child Protective Services. It is a very rewarding job getting to help children and families. The pay rate could be better due to the amount of stress it comes with and the high intensity it requires. I loved the employees I worked with and it feels like a family.
The position provided an excellent opportunity to provide direct services to families and children. Overall it was a wonderful experience.
Child Specialist V (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2015
I have worked with families and children throughout my career and retired from Oklahoma Department of Human Services as an administrator in Child Welfare Services. I desired to return to direct services and found the opportunity to do that through the Texas Department of Families and Services to Children.

It was delightful to have co-workers to work with and to learn from. The most difficult part of the job was the extremely large caseloads and long work hours which were often necessary to meet the needs of children, families, caretakers or demands of the Court system. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I had helped facilitate a child's return to their home, a mother being able to provide a home for her children and foremost, children were safer after intervening in their behalf.
Pros
Direct Services to families and children
Cons
Heavy caseloads
Long Hours
Child Protective Services Investigator IV (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 22, 2015
Long hours as an investigator with the expectation to make sure the children are safe at all times, even when you are not on the job. I enjoyed the job itself, but it was very demanding and some of the management was not supportive.
Pros
Protect children, help families, provide resources
Cons
management, pay, hours
Overall
Child Protective Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 11, 2015
Typical day at work requires a lot of driving and critical thinking when dealing with caregivers. It also requires a lot of case management and entering reports timely.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay is not worth the stress
CPS Specialist IV
Conservatorship (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 28, 2012
Very stressful culture. Very little reward involved. Usually have plenty of paid leave, more than I ever have time to actually take, which is nice. Mobile unit provides increased flexibility but also a major disconnect between unit members, supervisor, and other coworkers. Great for people who like to work individually and not in team settings.
Pros
somewhat flexible schedule, good work experience (if you can do this job, you can do any job), medical and dental benefits are somewhat decent, some flexibility in your day-to-day schedule
Cons
no opportunity for advancement or growth, low pay, high turnover rates and absorbing delinquent abandoned caseloads, only recognition tends to be for what youre doing wrong
Long Hours, Hard Work
Conservatorship Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 12, 2013
There is no such thing as a typical day at work. Every day is different with different circumstances arising.
I have learned that normal is subjective. I have learned how to help families and find resources.
My co-workers are understanding and kind as they have similar stress.
The most difficult part of the job is seeing parents who are so deep in their addiction that they cannot do the right things to have their children returned.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when children are reunited with family members who have successfully completed their services, have been punctual and concerned, and have made a complete turn around for their children.
Pros
flexibility and great benefits.
Cons
long hours, emotionally draining, you do not make decisions, people look at it as a regular 9-5 job and it is not, dealing with families who do not realize what they are doing wrong.
Great Learning Experience
Child Protective Services Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2014
Everyday is different at this company, some days are extremely busy other days are not as busy.
I learned a lot working for this company, in particular how to communicate with people from many different backgrounds.
My co-workers are hardworking individuals who love protecting the unprotected.
The hardest part of the job, is definitely having to hear about or see a child that has been hurt or neglected in anyway.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make a difference and add a sense of normalcy to a child's life.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
minimal cost of living raises
Over worked Underpaid
Kinship Development Caseworker IV (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2014
The job is great if you're looking for flexibility, but the expectaitions can be unrealistic and does not relfect the hard work. The job requries you to put yourself in dangerous situations at time. As with any job it benefits you to have an understanding and supportive supervisor. Unfortuanately, that is not always the case. This would definitely not be the job for you if you are looking for advancement or high pay.
Pros
medical benefits are paid for the employee.
Cons
moral is low and there is a high turn around rate because of the low pay, favortism and unrealistic expectations of the employees.
Challenging and Rewarding
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, TXDecember 14, 2014
Overall a great organization to work for. An exceptional example of where being both a team player and individually motivated comes into play as being a key aspect of the job. Have to be willing to work hours outside the normal 8a-5p scope. Great benefits and many opportunities to advance.
Pros
working with a diverse group of people on a daily basis
Cons
unpredictable, no day is ever the same.
Excellent benefits; tough job that is not for many people
Legal Liaison, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Angleton, TX (near Houston, TX)December 28, 2013
My job requires many skills and an ability to manage many tasks, all of which are important. I have learned to prioritize and multi-task. Most days, my plans are thwarted by an unexpected event that causes me to focus on a different project. My immediate management is very supportive and my co-workers are the most enjoyable part of my job. I really enjoy the opportunities to problem solve. The hardest part of my job is maintaining composure in challenging situations.
Pros
great benefits and co-workers
Cons
emotionally difficult at times, low salaries
Productive and fast paced environment
Foster Home Development Worker (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, TXMarch 6, 2013
I learn to accept people they way they are, invest in the children in the homes and not be judgmental. My co workers are dedicated to children and their needs. The hardest part of the job is placing a child in a foster home that has no idea who, what or understand why this is happening. Having to split up sibling groups because there are no homes for all of them to go to. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing my blessing coming from God, and not these parents, when I do right by the child.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no raises
Productive workplace
Investigator IV (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXOctober 13, 2015
This job is very rewarding. There is supportive management with good team work. However, this job can be very stressful and is not for everyone.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Good, stable employment
CPS Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasFebruary 12, 2015
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services was a good and stable source of employment with great benefits.
Pros
flexible schedule, able to work from home
Cons
rules changed often