Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

Job and Life balance
Child Protective Services Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 15, 2017
Typical day at work involved working after office hours were over. The job interfered with school. I had to make a decision whether to quit the job or quit school. I chose school.
Pros
Helping troubled families
Cons
work hours
Different experience every day
Child Protective Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande City, TXFebruary 23, 2017
Enjoyed serving the families and children in my community. Working in a small community enabled me to personally meet and work with various members of the community to better serve our clients.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
Long hours without compensation
Very professional.
Intern Student Full-time field placement (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Typical day at work was overwhelm employees. Venting is a key to stay clam. Management were difficult to voice concerns. Family and fun environment. The hardest part of the job is to receive calls from a hospital on one of the clients. The most enjoyable part of the job is closing a case.
Pros
limited time to review cases
Cons
high case loads
Investigated child abuse and neglect
Investigator II (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Investigated child abuse and neglect. Provided services to children in need. Completed court documents and testified when necessary
Pros
Employee benefits and retirement
Cons
too much work and not enough time to complete it
A very fulfilling job with high levels of stress.
CPS Specialist III (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 18, 2017
There is a lot more work to this job than most people realize. The stress of the job itself is hard. It then there is the stress of meeting impossible deadlines. And I can't speak for all supervisors but in my unit all that mattered was that my paperwork was done as quickly as they wanted it to. E done. Didn't matter how much time I was doing field work, it was more important to have the paperwork done. It was impossible to get everything done without someone suffering.
Benefits
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Fast paced ever changing work environment.
Child Protective Services Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXFebruary 18, 2017
A typical day at work may consist of Face to Face monthly visits with Foster Parents, Youth and possibly Biological Parents. Everyday is a learning experience. The constant interaction with different cultures teaches one to keep an open mind and understand the similarities as well as the differences. The hardest part of the job for me is the brokenness of the families I deal with daily. It can be heart wrenching and extremely overwhelming at times. On the other hand it is extremely rewarding and fulfilling to ones inner being.
Pros
Helping disadvanted families
Cons
Not enough workers and not enough pay
Great work experience, but long days
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Granbury, TXFebruary 9, 2017
The job itself was rewarding as you know that you are helping out innocent children. At the end of my time there, upper management only cared about getting their numbers lowered and not what they should be, getting the families and children the services they needed. It became a very political job. They also started to hire people right out of high school and I don't think that people right out of high school are prepared for the signs of abuse or neglect that you see in this job. This was their solution so people to stay in the jobs.
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2017
Working for the State of Texas was a good job. I really enjoyed working with my unit staff. The hours were great. Management was great. Being able to help someone in need is always a good feeling
It sucks the soul out of you
Conservatorship Worker (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 23, 2017
Whatever you do, don't do it. It's not worth all of the time with your family you miss out on. There is the expectation that you will work 24/7 with awful compensation.
Protecting children and keeping environments safe of any hazardous environments
CPS Investigator I (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 18, 2017
It is a very demanding job. It limits family activity. Too many cases and not enough workers. Demands on workers for closure cases within a 30 day frame.
Pros
Helping to keep kids safe from abuse and neglect
Cons
Dangerous and Unpredictable
Overworked and Underpaid
CPS Investigation Screener (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 28, 2016
This company has some good people but the upper level management was quite corrupt and the workers were treated less than human at times. They don't care about their employees and wouldn't protect them if the offender is someone who has friends in upper level management. Insane amount of work and extremely underpaid. No work life balance for sure if you're a caseworker, especially an investigator.
Pros
Job security (because no one else wants to do the job)
Cons
Pay, lack of work/life balance, biased treatment by managers
Hopefully changes are underway
Centralized Placement Unit Placement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 24, 2016
Working for this agency takes a special kind of person. While changes are trying to be made, it will take a while but I am hopeful. This work is necessary and there are lots of people there that want to make a difference. To have a work/personal life balance takes discipline because the demands of this job on a single person are high. It looks like the new commissioner is trying to fairly compensate their workers.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
High demand and high turnover
Great Benefits
CCL Abuse and Neglect Investigator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2016
The overall job is fun; especially when children are involved. It helps to know that you may be helping out a child in need. However, there are disadvantages. The upper management can micromanage, especially when state office is involved.
Pros
Health insurance, time off
Cons
Micromanaging, drama between staff
Rewarding Work
Child Protective Services Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 15, 2016
The job is rewarding and the place to work at if you are interested in making a difference in the lives of children and families and are not that concerned about compensation.
Hard Work for little pay
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXDecember 12, 2016
It was OK. Not much time to do anything else but work. Management is not consistent so the your job is not consistent. It can be draining and not awarding at times but you do have your days where you feel you did accomplish something
Pros
insurance
Cons
24/7 job
Rewarding and Sad
Conservatorship Worker (Former Employee) –  Andrews, TXNovember 22, 2016
This job is very difficult. You have to be sure you do not get attached. I worked with parents on working their services so that they could obtain custody of their children again. Should they decide not to do ask the court ordered I would have to present the case for parental termination. I wrote reports all the time, kept up with provider reports. All my notes had to be precise, detailed and current. The management left a lot to be desired. My co-workers varied - some were okay and others were not.
Pros
Reuniting families
Cons
Taking children away from their parents
Difficult but rewarding
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 8, 2016
The job as a child abuse investigator is tough but rewarding. Its a shame the pay is so small! It was a great job and better management/people than some jobs I have had.
Making a Difference
CPS Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TX 79412October 1, 2016
This is the place to be if you want to make a difference in a large part of the community. You must have the passion!

The work load is heavy, but this can be a very rewarding job. They do pay you for your hard work. Many lives can be saved and given great opportunities to grow, become stronger and succeed.

This job is for serious workers that can put in many hours!
Pros
You truely can make a difference!
Cons
Long work hours
Intensive but Rewarding
Conservatorship Worker/ I See You Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJune 22, 2016
A typical work day at CPS will depend on which area you work in. What I can say for sure is that the job comes with high stress, it comes with wanting to put families first, it comes with wanting to put children first and their well being. This job is incredibly challenging, but rewarding at the same time. I enjoyed my time at CPS. I know the office I worked from was a supportive, positive and team built office. I know not all offices are the same.

Working as a caseworker you have to be mentally prepared to hear anything, a good listener, empathetic, patience, calm, tolerant, organized, and good with data entry skills. As a worker you have to be willing to have a voice to speak of the facts that you have found that serves in the best interest of the child. This can mean having different opinions from other caseworkers, supervisors or court. It is important that all facts are gathered to best serve the child and or family.

The best part of my job was my team, my co-workers, and the amazing children I met. It was hard work, but rewarding when you know you made a difference in at least one child's life.

The hardest part was not the 40-50 hours a week I put in, as I was compensated for that. The hardest part was pouring your heart into a job to help reunite a family and doing your best to help the parents only to see that they continued to choose drugs or lifestyle over the priority of the child. The other hard part is becoming too close to foster families only to find you have to send in a report due to suspected abuse or other issues. You do learn to balance
  more... it all and make boundaries where necessary.

People think working for CPS would be terrible and that they couldn't do it. CPS puts all new employees in an intensive training program. I think an employee quickly is able to compartmentalize their jobs and the stories they hear in order to work in this field. Keeping positive and remembering your purpose helps to keep one focused and grateful for what they do.

My management team was amazing and didn't throw me to the wolves. CPS trained me and my team also worked with me. I had a very good experience with CPS.
Pros
flexible hours, working from home, making a difference, meeting new people, team members, management, benefits, able to advance, training
Cons
Stress, children's stories, hearing what parents are capable of, lawyers, constant documenting (everything needs to be documented), long hours (however I didn't mind that) filing reports on abuse, having difficult and confrontational parents, having to stand your ground on facts that you have.
If you do not like casework, Do not take the Job!
Specialist (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TX 78504May 14, 2016
This line of work is not for everyone. It takes a special kind of person who genuinely cares about children and their families. This line of work is demanding and presents little to no reward. Do not expect any compliments from your superiors and be ready for unpaid overtime.
Pros
Flexible working hours. Free health insurance.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8