Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services

Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

High stress; invaluable experience; amazing co-workers
CPS Conservatorship Specialist II (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 18, 2013
High-paced, high stress job; however, I gained invaluable experience via the many duties and responsibilities as well as personal growth dealing with difficult situations on a daily basis.
Long hours, never caught up in paperwork, not rewarding, no overtime pay
RN (Former Employee), San AngeloDecember 9, 2013
Pros: no insurance cost off holidays
Cons: no overtime pay, just flex, can't take off unless u have coverage
Can't do client care due to the paperwork, and required data and reports due, meetings. Not the reason I got into nursing, but yet expected to know your clients. 10 hours minimal in weekly meetings.
Great Employer
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee), Galveston, TexasNovember 17, 2013
Great leadership/upper management. Training is extensive and appropriate.
Fun place to work if you have an experienced Supervisor
Children Protective Specialist IV (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 9, 2013
Cons: driving your own car to visits
The hardest part of the job is working with inexperienced supervisor.
Horrible hours and bad managers!
Investigator II (Former Employee), RGVNovember 6, 2013
Cons: supervisors, hours, using your own car.
After a 13 hour day you still had to input data into the system from your mobile computer from home. Therefor, the hours were long and the pay was low.

P.S.
You were still working but for no pay.
Workload so bad investigators make up fake interviews.
Investigator (Former Employee), Bell CountyOctober 11, 2013
Cons: poor management; poor morale; unrealistic workload
Be very aware of the region you choose to work for if you are applying. The management in some regions is good, in most it is HORRIBLE and full of favoritism.
I worked here for three years as an Investigator. This job does not allow you to apply LOGIC to any of the cases you investigate. You will work over ten hours a day and even if you end up in the emergency room you will get calls from your supervisor telling you to go to an investigation.
I was working with another (seasoned) investigator (who the management thought was the "investigator of the century") and found multiple marijuana plants growing in a home; when I suggested we contact local law enforcement (which is department policy), the 'investigator of the century' told me not to and the 'plants were not tall enough to contact local authorities... really. Now I know how she kept up with her workload.
Speaking of workload, it is unreasonable. They never have enough staff to handle the workload. Supervisors often talked about workers behind their backs.
BAD environment, poor morale.
There is no 'typical' day
If you even show a hint of success, you get other investigators workload.
Be prepared to never see your family
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Current Employee), Killeen, TXOctober 10, 2013
Working for DFPS is rewarding, especially when you remove a child from a home environment that is horrible. However, you are a number, a warm body, and someone who will eventually leave the position due to stress and anxiety.
Working with families
Conservatorship Caseworker (Current Employee), Plano, TXOctober 2, 2013
Was an exciting time in my life where I worked closely with the community resources and foster families to meet the needs of children in state care.
The benefits and flexibility is great....the advancement and recognition are the complete opposite.
Administrative Technician I (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 26, 2013
Pros: benefits and flexibility
Cons: no means for advancement/favoritism
I have worked with Child Protective Services for over 6 years; I have worked with the State of Texas for over 7. I started with the Department of Aging and Disability services as a clerk for getting aged and disabled people services, such as, home health, adult daycare, emergency response systems, etc. A typical day at work consists of me reading over emails, printing out dockets from the courts, answering phone calls and tending to my supervisor and my unit. I have learned so much working with the department. I have learned the whole process that it takes for a family to go through while we have a case in CPS. There are many stages if things go wrong. I initially started working with investigations, which is the first stage a family goes through when a case is called in. I worked with Investigations for 6 years. Working in investigations was more fast paced and workers were always on their toes, therefore, I had to be always a step ahead to prevent myself from falling behind. Now, working in an adoption unit, the job is more slow paced and not a lot of things are happening. Adoptions is usually the last stage when we try and find out children that are a ward of the state their "forever home." I have met many people while working here, there is a lot of diversity in not only our peers, but our cases as well. The downside of the job, is there is no incentive for your clerical staff. Staff are overworked and underpaid and there is no means of advancement. The State of Texas does not grant merit raises often, but when they do, you are not likely to see one given to your clerical staff. No matter how much work you put into the job, there is no recognition and if you do want to advance, you are not likely to have a good word put in for you from the higher ups. The job has become boring and lifeless. The best part of working at the state is the benefits and flexibility that come along with it.
A difficult job but can be very rewarding when you are able to help a family or child in need.
Special Investigator (Former Employee), Killeen, TXAugust 14, 2013
Pros: job security and room for advancement.
Cons: difficult to balance work and home.
A very difficult place to work due to the abuse and neglect you see that occurs to children. It can be very rewarding when you are able to actually help a child or family.
Long Hours, Hard Work
Conservatorship Case Manager (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 12, 2013
Pros: flexibility and great benefits.
Cons: long hours, emotionally draining, you do not make decisions, people look at it as a regular 9-5 job and it is not, dealing with families who do not realize what they are doing wrong.
There is no such thing as a typical day at work. Every day is different with different circumstances arising.
I have learned that normal is subjective. I have learned how to help families and find resources.
My co-workers are understanding and kind as they have similar stress.
The most difficult part of the job is seeing parents who are so deep in their addiction that they cannot do the right things to have their children returned.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when children are reunited with family members who have successfully completed their services, have been punctual and concerned, and have made a complete turn around for their children.
No room for true advancement
CPS Specialist (Former Employee), DFWAugust 6, 2013
As with any other company, who you know will take you far. Looking for another job.
Protective
Child Protective Services Investigator II (Current Employee), Bryan, TXAugust 2, 2013
Pros: protecting the unprotected
Cons: n/a
A typical day as an Investigator II with Child Protective Services requires myself to overcome obstacles, have efficient and effective communicative skills, be a diligent hard-worker, and extremely versatile in adapting to any situation.
Intake Specialist
Protective Intake Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 29, 2013
Pros: 40 hour week
Cons: no contact with the humans calling for help.
Screened calls for abuse and neglect. This job is important but I left because I hated not being able to help in person. A typical day is taking calls and reports back to back, taking breaks, and leaving. Management in this area was very supportive.
Productive and Client Centered wr Enviornment
APS Investigator III (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJuly 24, 2013
The most enjoyable part of this job was the opportunity to assist the elder community from being taken advantage of.
Love helping children
Case Worker (Former Employee), Edinburg, TXJuly 1, 2013
I really love helping children and families. Work/Life Balance was the only thing bad about working for CPS
horrible
case worker II (Former Employee), texasJune 25, 2013
Pros: benefits are decent
Cons: bad mgmt, low pay, impossible caseloads, and dangerous
Horrible job, bad management, impossible caseloads, no advancement EVER, LOW PAY, AND LETS NOT FORGET...This job can get you killed. Lookers beware!
My heart goes out to the children
FBSS Caseworker (Former Employee), Edinburg, TXJune 11, 2013
Pros: flexible
Cons: heartbreaking situations with families.
I worked with FBSS and it was rewarding to reunite families together. My co workers were great. Removals were the hardest part of the job as you have angry parents and other family members.
Honorable Job, but Not Worth It
Contract Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 3, 2013
Pros: decent benefits, plenty of vacation and sick days.
Cons: low pay; poor morale (everyone is stressed constantly); poor communication between regions/divisions
Worked for DFPS for four years in three different positions, but never as a caseworker. I've found that in each job you learn valuable skills (such as how to use various computer programs, and work with difficult clients who are in a state of high emotional stress), but the majority of the people I've worked with are not driven to succeed and will ride out their career at a job that pays less than the national average because they can get by doing little to no work. There are some people in state office who work extremely hard, caseworkers in the field too, but most employees do the bare minimum and have no accountability. Whenever an issue arises, it's a constant toss the blame game. It's not a place to go if you want to surround yourself with intelligent or innovative ideas. Policies are extremely outdated and take a long time to update. It's a government agency, so there's going to be a lot of red tape. I thought the mission of the agency would be enough to motivate me, but I am getting tired of the extremely low pay and stagnant environment.
Caring staff with years of civil service to the people of Texas
Intake Specialist II/ Acting Supervisor (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 25, 2013
Pros: assisting with the protection of vulnerable communities (children, disabled adults)
Cons: long hours, intense subject matter
I work a 10 hour shift at the DFPS intake center. A typical day involves conducting phone interviews with a variety of people regarding the abuse and neglect of children and adults. Those who call to make reports include law enforcement officers, medical staff, state hospital and State Supported Living Center staff/consumers, and those in the general public. I assess the provided information based on the Texas Family Code, and determine what allegations (physcial abuse, neglect, sexual abuse etc) to allege, and what priority to give the report. Priority determinations tell the investigators in what time frame the investigation should be initiated in. I then write legal document reports and assign them to the appropriate county the victim lives is in. My supervisor is a macro-manager and essentially allows me to work unsupervised. I am surrounded by people who allow me to vent frustrations, and I in turn, listen to them and provide emotional support.

Texas Department Of Family And Protective Services Salaries