Texas Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TexasJune 5, 2016
On a daily basis I would be pared with one of the State Troopers, or the Texas Ranger. I would be watching and observing in their daily activities and assisting whenever needed. Everyone I worked with seemed to be hardworking, dedicated and loved their jobs. The most enjoyable part of this internship was when I was helping the Texas Ranger investigate a fraud case.
A good place to work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 12, 2016
This job has its good and bad. It is usually a pretty easy place to work but sometimes you have to use physical force or activity.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Around prisoners everyday
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2016
Perk...Work days are Monday through Friday . A full days work is repetitious and Dealing with customers face to face. Team work is a must.
my review
TX DPS Maintenance Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 10, 2016
it was a job like ant other. lots of responsibilities working for the top poeple in the state of Texas at the Capitol building everyday
Pros
good benifits
Cons
work for police
Great Place if looking for stability
Communication & Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2016
Great place to work if you want a stable environment You need a degree if you do want promote. You have to train yourself to figure things out. Everyone is eager to help you, but you must seek them out.
Pros
time off
Cons
pay
It was ok
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2016
I meet different people from all over the world everyday and my co-workers was pleasant. You get a hour lunch and every week you had a different task to do.
Pros
Meet different people
Cons
short breaks
Dps
(Lead) Representative III/ Road Examiner (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 2, 2016
• Meets and screens applicants, administers written and visual tests, prepares application forms and collects license application fees.
• Conduct computer checks of state and federal information systems to verify license eligibility.
• Answers general information questions pertaining to driver license laws procedures and department services.
• Performs road tests for Class A and Class B driver's license.
Interesting place to work.
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Work with a variety of law enforcement staff on the regulatory side of the law. Work in a building with various agencies of law enforcement. A typical day at work is multi tasking all day, have to be very flexible to meet the demands of staff and the job. I've learned that this is totally different from any other job I've had because of the nature of the job. I've learned that all the skills and training I brought with me from previous work experience has been my life line, I was able to transition flawless into this new area. I'm able to rise to the occasion whatever it may be and handle everything correctly the first time. My co-workers are super nice people, I've established a great rapport with everyone and if I need assistance they do not hesistate and they can count on me to be there for them as well; great networking system.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Paid once a month.
Nice envoroment
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 20, 2016
I work in a office with a great group of attorneys. They help to make the office run smoothly, Its a state run agency and the benefits are great
Good work enviromnent, great benefits, including comp time off
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Totally enjoyed working there. It had a high level of interest for me throughout my 22 year tenure. Benefits include free healthcare, monthly annuity, Interest level of job high.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Salary
The Department of Public Safety was a great place to work. I worked with people who had high integrity and values. I would recommend them highly.
Receptionist / Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 29, 2015
I worked as the PBX / receptionist at the Texas Department of Public Safety. My day consisted of answering and routing calls to various departments. I duplicated crash reports and sold them to the public per request. I maintained various spreadsheets and data to compose my end of the month reports. I filed crash reports. At the end of the day I did the bank deposit. I learned a great deal about public safety and various organizations. Our management team was the best I have ever worked for, I learned the most from watching them at work. The way they handled different situations that arose and their decisiveness in executing the decisions they made. Their integrity is impeccable. The hardest part of the job was trying to get the public to understand i worked for the Highway Patrol and not the Driver License Division. My desk was the very front of the office which is what the public saw first. I enjoyed working to help people. The only down side to my job was there was no room for advancement . They implemented a new phone system which decreased my call volume by 70 percent and also implemented the Texas CRIS system to where crash reports were available for online purchase. My job duties decreased dramatically and I needed to find a more challenging position,
Pros
good working environment, good management, breaks, good benefits
Cons
the room for advancement
No additional
administrative assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2015
No additional information to include on this company. Additional information may be given on a case by case basis. I do not submit rating information online
It hasd great benefits, salary mostly competitve.
Receptionist Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXNovember 4, 2015
The organization I worked for was wonderful. The supervisors, co-workers all great. Everyone could get along. Leaving my job was a poor decision on my part.
Pros
Benefits, Co-workers
Be sharp, be knowledgeble, be nice and you'll be just fine
Fixed Assets Accountant II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 2, 2015
The TxDPS could qualify as one of the most esteemed Departments in the State of Texas just under the Governor. The personnel in this Department are extremely focused on the continuing efforts to keep the citizens of the State of Texas secure from growing numbers of violence, fraudulent behaviors, local and statewide corruption and any organization that threatens the safety of individuals. Management assists with all the tools necessary to be on the cutting edge of information on all aspects of the mission.
Job Security, great benefits
License & Records Customer Service Support II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 28, 2015
Effective way to learn more about the State of Texas and its functionality when it comes to License and Records. Job security is always a great highlight at any job. Benefits are wonderful, paid holidays, overtime is offered. I will say it is extremely difficult to move up in my division.
Pros
Overtime, Benefits, Paid Holidays, Vacation Time
Very Repetitive
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  beaumont txAugust 31, 2015
This job is the the same thing over and over can get very boring and stressful. You have to know how to deal with all personalities, all walks of life come in to these facilities. You do not get trained on every transaction at one time which makes it a little difficult if a customer has questions on something your not trained on. I thank God for this job but i dont like it. No room for growth
Pros
off every weekend and holiday's
Cons
no room for advancement, no culture
It's a job
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 28, 2015
IT Management from the top down is apathetic at best and incompetent at worst. For the most part your co-workers are good to work with. As with any place, some are on the top of their game and others are laughable.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Mangement
Data Entry
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 24, 2015
Data Entry, entering traffic violations for that district. Midland County. Worked Monday thru Friday. This job was easy and no problems. I decided to move out of Odessa and move closer to my mother.
Great Work Environment
Licensing and Permit Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2015
Really like the job security that this state agency provides, I get to learn and bout legislation in the state of Texas. Developing new programs and regulations is very interesting.
Great for a stable job, bad for advancement and compensation
Fixed Asset Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2015
TxDPS is, as I would imagine, like any other state agency. They are really great about giving you a steady 40hr. work week, so that you can be home on the weekends, and you don't have to worry about working overtime. Also, the state has very good benefits in the form of astronomical amounts of paid vacation and sick leave, 401k, pension funds, etc. Where I find DPS lacking though is in the areas of monetary compensation and opportunities to advance. You're never going to be rich working for DPS, as is the same for most any state agency. They pay you decently, but there is a lot of room for improvement. When it comes to advancement, don't get me wrong, you can move up in DPS (as my 3 positions in less than 3 years can attest to), but any upward mobility is severely restricted to your ability to break into management. If you're not looking to become a supervisor/manager, or have no supervisory experience, you'll be hard pressed to make a career at DPS that will be enjoyable long term.
Pros
Great Work/Life Balance, Good Benefits, Pension Plan
Cons
Limited Upward Mobility, Less Than Stellar Pay