Texas Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews

Data Entry
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Midland, TXAugust 24, 2015
Data Entry, entering traffic violations for that district. Midland County. Worked Monday thru Friday. This job was easy and no problems. I decided to move out of Odessa and move closer to my mother.
Great Work Environment
Licensing and Permit Specialist I (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 3, 2015
Really like the job security that this state agency provides, I get to learn and bout legislation in the state of Texas. Developing new programs and regulations is very interesting.
Great for a stable job, bad for advancement and compensation
Fixed Asset Accountant I (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Great Work/Life Balance, Good Benefits, Pension Plan
Cons: Limited Upward Mobility, Less Than Stellar Pay
TxDPS is, as I would imagine, like any other state agency. They are really great about giving you a steady 40hr. work week, so that you can be home on the weekends, and you don't have to worry about working overtime. Also, the state has very good benefits in the form of astronomical amounts of paid vacation and sick leave, 401k, pension funds, etc. Where I find DPS lacking though is in the areas of monetary compensation and opportunities to advance. You're never going to be rich working for DPS, as is the same for most any state agency. They pay you decently, but there is a lot of room for improvement. When it comes to advancement, don't get me wrong, you can move up in DPS (as my 3 positions in less than 3 years can attest to), but any upward mobility is severely restricted to your ability to break into management. If you're not looking to become a supervisor/manager, or have no supervisory experience, you'll be hard pressed to make a career at DPS that will be enjoyable long term.
Stable work environment.
Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee), Lewisville, TXJuly 1, 2015
Providing customers with current information regarding driver’s licenses policy and procedures. Responsible for handling customer financial information while ensuring security and proper ledger balancing. Training, instructing and mentoring of new employees to ensure proper adherence to state regulated procedures.
this is a very exciting place to work, i have nothing negative to say other than they don't pay enough
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee), District Office in Austin, TexasJune 16, 2015
Pros: flex time, i can take lunch when i want, HOLIDAYS and vacation
Cons: i . just wish they would pay a little more to their employees
i enjoy coming to work and i get along with all of my co-workers, the hardest part of my job is really nothing, i have learned my job and believe that i am very productive in what i do.
Stable employment
Driver License Division (Former Employee), Dallas,TXJune 16, 2015
The State does take the time to train your well and the investment in refining your technical skills. The hardest part of the job is the overload of work that makes you feel like you are not compensated for everything you have to do. Management could use additional training and scope of how to treat the employees they are responsible for.
Government service
Calibration Technician (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 10, 2015
All you would expect from a job in government service. Friendly coworkers and attentive management that lead from the fount.
Interesting
Driver's License Examiner (Former Employee), Rosenberg, TXJune 9, 2015
Pros: stability
Cons: dangerous
There was never two days that were the same, each day hold a different problem that needed to be solved or someone coming in that could not drive.
Professional atmosphere
Covert MVI Technician (Former Employee), El Paso TxMay 30, 2015
Pros: Insurance and benefits
Cons: Stressful environment
A typical day starts early. Lots of paperwork.
I learned about working for a large bureaucracy. Nothing trickles down. I learned the real definition of cronyism.
My co-workers were hard working self motivated people like myself.
The hardest part of the job was the rotating shifts.
The enjoyable parts of the job was when people of different divisions would work together and get results.
Life balance is excellent
Customer Service Representative III (Current Employee), Garland, TXMay 24, 2015
Flexible when it comes to balancing life. Management is okay, but they play favorites. Also pay is good for single person with no family, but if you have family you live paycheck to paycheck. get paid once a month so it gets hard at times.
DPS fits in the "its a job category"
Customer Service Repesentative (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 27, 2015
It is a typical call center position, which requires hours of phone time. Do not have much of any personal involvement with other parts of the company.
Valuable learning experience
SR Corporal/Trooper (Former Employee), Mason, TXApril 25, 2015
I enjoyed my time with DPS but as with everything there comes a time to pass the torch. I had many good experiences and several bad but I grew with each new challenge.
Interesting, Different
Customer Service Rep II (Current Employee), Angleton, TXApril 15, 2015
Pros: weekends off
Cons: no breaks
Interesting - never a dull moment
variety - no 2 days are the same
satisfying - helping people when you can
stressful - when nothing can be done and customer is upset
Job Stability
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 11, 2015
Love working with DPS and Serving the residents of our GREAT State (TX). Job Stabilty is available along with room to grow.
Helping the Community
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 1, 2015
Enjoyed assisting the people of Texas getting their driver's license. Also assisted customers understand the rules of the road and making sure that they are better drivers.
Stable workday
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee), Henderson, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Help customers maintain and acquire their driver license. Give all written and driving test. Court representative for state in legal issues in the county I worked.
Easy job but supervisors micromanage to much.
State Trooper (Former Employee), Weslaco district!January 13, 2015
Pros: good coworkers, fun job, take home car
Cons: supervisors, work lots of hours, not alot of family time
The weslaco district is ok but Too much micromanagement starting with the major and all the way down.. if ur a brown noser or are an interdictor then u have it made. U could make mistakes and they will cover you. The harder you work the more you get screwed. The lazier u are the easier u have it made so choose wisely. Very easy job over all just real stressful. Supervisors will counsel you for the littlest thing possible like insubordination. But the director always preached about "the department is not about numbers" yet weslaco district is ALL about numbers. Make sure you arrest enough drunks, and ticket speeders, seatbelt, and stop lots of CMVs because if not you WILL get a bad evaluation. So the insubordination starts with our major because he knows this very will but wont do anything about it. The brass forgot what it was like to be on the road, they have been behind a desk so long that they will hammer you for any little mistake. Some coworkers are awesome. mcallen has the worst supervisor and troops. Rio Grande city troopers on sullivan city will pull u over for no reason and make it up so watch out. So will edinburg. Other than that, the job is easy. Just work crashes and stop cars all day. You have a take home car. Also alot of wreck dodgers. I suggest go cve because those guys go to the POE undock there computer and go home. They do 5 inspections in 3 hours and claim 6 hours. Everyone in the valley knows that but they wont do anything. All they say is as long as you get ur inspections done. The inspectors at the poe bust there behinds on the inspections and the trooper gets the credit. Very unfair.
In General
License Permit Specialist (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2015
The Department is a great place to work when starting off with little experience or knowledge.The co-workers and managers are easy to work well together. A great agency
Compensation is well below the skill and responsibilities related to the position as well as the importance of providing the service to the public,
Facilitator and Examiner (Former Employee), North DallasDecember 13, 2014
Opportunities to advance are subject to nepotism. Healthcare benefits are way over rated.
Secure and Safe Work Environment
Senior Network Specialist III (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 12, 2014
Nice place to work. Friendly people. Helping people to be safe.