Texas Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews

There are much better state agencies
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  AustinJune 20, 2017
I have the highest respect for the Troopers... it's the other employees. Self centered snobs who think they are better than you despite having only a H. S education. Promotions based on friendships. Too many people are related at this job and it's generational. They live in the same town, drive in together, go out to lunch together and are on facebook together. Given inflated titles of Investigator and Secretary with only a H.S education. Allows bullying if the employee is a friend of the boss. Vicious and destructive gossip is allowed if the supervisor doesn't like you. Supervisors stick together like glue. I left and found another agency and have never been happier.
Benefits
Cons
Too many to list
I have good co-workers that are a team.
Inventory and Store Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 16, 2017
At a place like this, the cooperation could be better. A lot have part time jobs due to low pay here. Very thrifty organization, no pay raises. Does have good benefits and a lot of holidays but could do much better in the "pay scale" department.
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Under staffed
Customer service reps treated badly
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 13, 2017
I have worked at DPS almost 3 years. I started at a small office, ratty and run down but I had a good boss & co workers. Then they closed our office with no notice & dumped us at the Garland Mega Center. It is a HELLHOLE! The management team there did not even take the time to introduce themselves, we were given no training & the employees were rude & resentful. My poor boss is not treated with any respect. The supervisors have their pets, who are not held accountable for anything they do, including slacking off. Many a night myself & my co workers from our old office were there working over 9-10 hours a day, just to realize we were the ONLY employees left. Everyday you walk in to see if you schedule or seat has changed, it is so chaotic. We HATE it! DO NOT come to work for DPS unless you want NO raises, NO life balance, and a lousy management team. WALMART would be better!
Pros
Cons
bad hours, poor management team, low pay
A fast-paced office with a great deal of responsibility, but still fun.
Senior Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 6, 2017
Overall, DPS was a great place to work with a commitment to its employees and the public. However the "good ol' boy" environment could be a little much at times.
Pros
Benefits and co-workers
Cons
Sexism at times
Good
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2017
Helping my supervisor with scheduling appointment, deal with irritate customer about there license. Making travel arrangements. The best thing I like about that job was helping people
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Health insurance was not good
dept of public satfety
Locksmith, security operations (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 25, 2017
overall a good place to work should have stayed. uniforms provided. good benefits. and a retirement plan. its stressful work at the capitol complex everyday but worth the stress.very important high level of security clearance job. i took it to serious. so its a good career if you can take that the cops get all of the Ada boys and funds and raises.
Pros
very stable job
Cons
pay was too low
Legal Operations - Sealing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2017
I got sent here from Peak Performers Temp Agency
they hired me to do some work at there office. This in fact is a great job and the people are so respectful, and so kind.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
short breaks
Customer service representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 16, 2017
Very good place to work different people to work with the staff is very good would recommend the job to everyone I would go back when the hiring freeze is over
Good location and great commute
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 16, 2017
The people are great and the majority are older and have been here for a long time. A lot of them keep to themselves and I think morale could be better. I like that it is in a good location. The hours are great.
Pros
Good medical/dental benefits
Cons
Pay is not enough and could be better
Public service and job security
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 12, 2017
Beyond the red tape, the work itself is rewarding. It is a multi-faceted organization so there are numerous opportunities to change work duties or stay put.
Productive Place to work with holidays off.
Customer Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 26, 2017
It is a good place to work, with great benefits. The management is very great, and understandable. The hours are great and the great thing is that you have weekend off.
Pros
Hour Lunches
Enjoyable workplace with excellent job satisfaction
Compliance Review Program Investigator (Current Employee) –  Hereford, TXApril 25, 2017
Top-Notch Law Enforcement Agency with an excellent work environment. Positive management with good people skills to promote productivity and excellence.
stressful place to work
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXMarch 19, 2017
money is decent, not enough for what we are put through on a daily basis from the public or the amount of laws and policy's that have to be remembered. Management are all a bit cliquie but if you stay on their good side you'll go places.
Pros
learning alot and having several different positions within company
Cons
rude customers, stressful position
Great People
Customer Service Analyst IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 8, 2017
Outside of all the state bureaucracy, I loved going to work because of the people. They made the day go by so smoothly, not just the other employees, but the customers as well.
Stable job
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2017
We were always busy. Nobody was worried about layoff ever. I wish they would have worked with my school schedule. I had to leave this job in order to finish my bachelors.
Pros
benefits and salary
Cons
too much overtime
Busy
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 17, 2017
The department was always busy. Always had plenty to do. Learned to be a better supervisor. I enjoyed greeting customers.
One big happy family
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 14, 2017
Public service is an honor and the DPS name and reputation is legendary in Texas. The family of DPS is an amazing thing, particularly for the commissioned law officers in the agency. Support staff are always appreciated, but generally are underpaid based on state agency information from other agencies or even more when compared against open market.
Pros
Cons
Pay scale
would recommend it to anyone
Maintenance Technician II (Current Employee) –  Hearne, TXFebruary 13, 2017
great job awesome benefits would have my friends apply anytime and let them rep the rewards of working for the state. Would be an even better job if they paid more money
It's a job to retire in
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 5, 2017
the job is pretty redundant and at being at one of the busiest offices in Texas, extremely stressful. Management is a big key here. When first employed, our office had a great set of management and it was awesome. Fast paced but awesome. Then after a transfer, we were given a new supervisor who is not at all competent nor wants to familiarize herself with what works for her team. Our team is pretty great and if you have that then, under great leadership, the job flows efficiently.
Pros
Flexible with giving time off and work/life balance
Cons
Management poor, policies change like the wind
Hourly Position
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 31, 2017
They worked really well with my schedule while I was in school and doctors appointments. You make really great connections with other coworkers. You spend a lot of time in the office so it is good that i was able make lasting friendships.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of Public Safety. Our community is ready to answer.

Texas Department of Public Safety Reviews by Location