Texas Department of State Health Services Employee Reviews

A very rewarding place to work at.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 17, 2017
A ton of pros to work for the state, one of the best is so many paid days off. Another is their health benefits and everyone who works here is like family and very sweet. A very laid back place to work at. Now for some of the cons, which there is not many but it can make the biggest difference. The pay is not great for most positions and their 401K program is not good at all. Other then that this place is a great place to work at.
No comment
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 9, 2017
I rather not comment on DSHS.
Each department is different. I enjoyed the fact that we were able to provide the community with public health
Pros
nice people
nice environment
PSYCHIATRIC NURSING ASST IV (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TX 79720January 10, 2017
This was a great job for someone looking for a stepping stone to advance their career in the mental health field or for someone who doesn't mind working an entry level position for a while before advancement.
Productive and rewqarding
Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXDecember 27, 2016
Working with the state provided the opportunity to give back to the communities in a variety of ways. Meeting people throughout the state working on the same mission and then taking those services out into the communities was very rewarding and provided great feedback to the mission.
Pros
Meeting great people
Cons
Lots of regualtions
Militaristic. No autonomy
RN Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXDecember 12, 2016
It was not revealed to me, until after I took the job, that the state does not give raises. Chain of command is strictly enforced, to the point that everything stops with your immediate supervisor. EVERYTHING has to go through your immediate supervisor. There is NO autonomy. If you can think for yourself, this is not the place for you. The work environment is hostile and they like it that way.
benefits
Cons
Poor leadership, hostile work environment
Hard but rewarding.
PNA 1 (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 30, 2016
Coworkers could have been a little easier to get along with. The long year associates aren't always the nicest or willing to teach to the new ones. Pay could have been better for the abuse taken on by staff and clients. Safety was not always a major concern. It was a very rewarding experience though.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unsafe at times.
Working enviroment was excellent
Paymaster/Accountant V (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78714May 27, 2016
I enjoyed and appreciate my 20 plus years of service in State Government. I was ready to retire and scale down to enjoy more time of doing things I enjoy.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
No cons
Steady work load
Data Entry Operator III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 29, 2016
A typical day consist of entering and verifying a workload depending on the day 500-900 samples, ensuring the completed work is filed and ready to be archived. Other tasked as assigned my the supervisors and or manager. Hardest part of the job is the lack of change very repetitive, however the best part is ensuring that the person on each forms will get their results in a timely manner.
Pros
steady work
Cons
poor management, lack of advancement
The hardest part of the job...
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 4, 2015
Would be dealing with the multiply attitudes of the authority above you bringing their baggage from home, cliques and favoritism!
Pros
Benefits and days off.
Cons
Multiple upon multiple personalities
High paced and productive. Enjoyed working with the patients and families.
Billing, Coding and Authorization Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harlingen TexasOctober 15, 2015
Wonderful place to work with supportive management. Enjoyed working directly with the Doctors, patients and their families. There was a lot of variety in what I did on a day to day basis, and enjoyed learning new skills from my colleagues.
Pros
State benefits/holidays
Cons
not enough employees to cover all the work load
Internship job
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXOctober 13, 2015
This was a requirement with my Bachelor's degree. However, in this internship, it was a rewarding position to be able to help children with disabilities.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
governmental agency
Contract Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TxAugust 25, 2015
Governmental agency. Allows flexible work schedule for job/life balance. Benefits and compensation are reasonable. Great job security. Advancement opportunities are minimal.
meaningful work
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 30, 2015
The work is meaningful and fulfilling, however improvements are needed in management structure. I enjoy this job, but the travel requirements are too much for me at this point in my life.
Pros
flexible schedule and state holidays
Cons
low morale
Entertaining and exciting job.
Environmental Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 30, 2015
This job had many facets and was always changing which made it interesting. I enjoyed the travel and getting to know the people of the communities.
Jobs
Human Services Specialist VII (Current Employee) –  Mercedes,TXJuly 23, 2015
Life and jobs are like a Box of Chocolates you never know what you are going to get. However if you wake up everyday with a positive attitude and look for solutions instead of problems. You are destined to have a terrific experience no matter where you work.
~ALR
Pros
Having a Job
Cons
all jobs have cons but you need to remeber the lessons they bring.
Great Work place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Conroe TexasMay 31, 2015
It was a great and rewarding learning experience in case management and working with families that have children with learning disabilities. Very enjoyable.
Disappointing
Public Health and Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 12, 2015
Started here with high hopes and ended up under a controlling manager and feel I must get out as soon as possible. My colleagues feel the same way.
Pros
no overtime
Cons
no creative freedom and punished for taking initiative
no advancement
Psychiatric Nursing Asst I (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 22, 2015
working at the health care facility with adolescent kids was an experience that I will not forget. although I did get a long with all the teens, dealing with their issues, and mental status was a set back for me, never working in an environment that personalities change from one min to the next, and having to deal with mental, physical, and verbal issues from the teens was an eye opener. The month training did help but, like they say not everyone is meant for the job.
Pros
diverse enviorment
Cons
no advancement
This is a Great place to work
Inspector IV (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2015
This is an very exciting place to work.I've learned so much about animals.the management here is OUTSTANDING this is one of the best leadership commands I've had.The co worker are very easy to work with and are always willing to help.there's nothing hard about the job.the most enjoyable part of the job is being there!!
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
pay could be better
Productive environment with friendly co-workers and customers
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, TXNovember 10, 2014
A typical day was seeing customers continuously all day long. I did a daily inventory check. I placed weekly orders of supplies and daily orders of special formula when needed. Very friendly and hard-working co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the wonderfully friendly customers.
Pros
Friendly environment, paid vacations and holidays
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of State Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2