Texas Department of State Health Services Employee Reviews

High paced and productive. Enjoyed working with the patients and families.
Billing, Coding and Authorization Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harlingen TexasOctober 15, 2015
Wonderful place to work with supportive management. Enjoyed working directly with the Doctors, patients and their families. There was a lot of variety in what I did on a day to day basis, and enjoyed learning new skills from my colleagues.
Pros
State benefits/holidays
Cons
not enough employees to cover all the work load
Internship job
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXOctober 13, 2015
This was a requirement with my Bachelor's degree. However, in this internship, it was a rewarding position to be able to help children with disabilities.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
governmental agency
Contract Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TxAugust 25, 2015
Governmental agency. Allows flexible work schedule for job/life balance. Benefits and compensation are reasonable. Great job security. Advancement opportunities are minimal.
meaningful work
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 30, 2015
The work is meaningful and fulfilling, however improvements are needed in management structure. I enjoy this job, but the travel requirements are too much for me at this point in my life.
Pros
flexible schedule and state holidays
Cons
low morale
Entertaining and exciting job.
Environmental Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 30, 2015
This job had many facets and was always changing which made it interesting. I enjoyed the travel and getting to know the people of the communities.
Jobs
Human Services Specialist VII (Current Employee) –  Mercedes,TXJuly 23, 2015
Life and jobs are like a Box of Chocolates you never know what you are going to get. However if you wake up everyday with a positive attitude and look for solutions instead of problems. You are destined to have a terrific experience no matter where you work.
~ALR
Pros
Having a Job
Cons
all jobs have cons but you need to remeber the lessons they bring.
Great Work place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Conroe TexasMay 31, 2015
It was a great and rewarding learning experience in case management and working with families that have children with learning disabilities. Very enjoyable.
Disappointing
Public Health and Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 12, 2015
Started here with high hopes and ended up under a controlling manager and feel I must get out as soon as possible. My colleagues feel the same way.
Pros
no overtime
Cons
no creative freedom and punished for taking initiative
no advancement
Psychiatric Nursing Asst I (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 22, 2015
working at the health care facility with adolescent kids was an experience that I will not forget. although I did get a long with all the teens, dealing with their issues, and mental status was a set back for me, never working in an environment that personalities change from one min to the next, and having to deal with mental, physical, and verbal issues from the teens was an eye opener. The month training did help but, like they say not everyone is meant for the job.
Pros
diverse enviorment
Cons
no advancement
This is a Great place to work
Inspector IV (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2015
This is an very exciting place to work.I've learned so much about animals.the management here is OUTSTANDING this is one of the best leadership commands I've had.The co worker are very easy to work with and are always willing to help.there's nothing hard about the job.the most enjoyable part of the job is being there!!
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
pay could be better
Productive environment with friendly co-workers and customers
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, TXNovember 10, 2014
A typical day was seeing customers continuously all day long. I did a daily inventory check. I placed weekly orders of supplies and daily orders of special formula when needed. Very friendly and hard-working co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the wonderfully friendly customers.
Pros
friendly environment, paid vacations and holidays
Prepare to stay where you are
Systems Analyst IV (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 8, 2014
I've had two terrible managers in this agency. Overall others can be fairly happy here but my department has lost half its staff in less than 2 years. Also, pays at the lower end for state worker salary and raises are nonexistent. Can only get an increase by changing jobs.
Pros
stable, no layoffs for decent workers
Cons
bad management, no raises
Productive work enviorment
Psychiatrist Nursing Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 4, 2014
Learning to work as a team member, and working towards helping individuals to reach recovery goals to return as a suitable member of society.
Managed several employees, worked under minimal supervision of charge nurses, able to multi task, ability to fill in for co workers when needed changes on units.
Enjoyed job due to helping people, and being apart of successful recovery from mental illness.
Pros
benifits, and advancement oppurtunities
Great people, great environment!
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 13, 2014
I will only be here for a few months since I'm on contract with the state but I really enjoy the people I have been able to work with and like the passion they show about how they are really helping Texans and their healthcare and health needs.
Pros
awesome benefits.
Cons
wish they would look more to the pool of people in the public sector looking for work.
Great life/work balance, very nice people
Data Entry Specialist and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 14, 2014
Great people, who genuinely cared about their customers.
Management was not very communicative.
I learned to be a self starter and became very self reliant in terms of ramping up knowledge and education
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
non communicative manager, not an encourager
This is a very interesting place to work. Everyday you learn something new.
Inspector V (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXDecember 17, 2013
My works days consist of doing inspections at meat processing or slaughter plants. I train new employees on how to conduct inspections, and the regulations. This is not a hard job, but an important one. I am charged with the task of protecting the public from contaminated meat. I enjoy what I do. It's very rewarding.
Pros
flexible schedule.
Cons
don't spend many nights at home. always on the road.
productive and very stressful yet knowlegeable place to work
Public Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXOctober 24, 2013
Receive, review, scan and enter confidential reports
i learned to work at a fast paced environment
my coworkers and myself always tried to get along
the most difficult may have been to have time away
that i got to enjoy and meet new people
Pros
dressing up
Cons
healthcare
Health IT Policy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin. TXSeptember 25, 2013
As a consultant I was able to accomplish all elements of the contract I was on. Duty was either in office or remote, whichever was needed.
Great for a Temporary Contract
Microbiologist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 9, 2013
I do love everyone I worked with there. It is a state laboratory, so I was compensated nicely. However, the contract didn't have a direct-to-hire option. I observed that advancement within the company is lengthy and difficult. The work is very relevant. However, it can be occasionally repetitious. I am very thankful of the laboratory skills I learned and the tests I learned how to perform. I would never refuse an opportunity to continue working there.
Pros
lenient break schedules, lovely people, great pay, easy shift for doing hobbies outside of work
Cons
no benefits (if a contractor), repetitious tasks, hard to advance
Comfotable, laid back call-canter enviorment
Program Specialist I (Former Employee) –  1100 W. 49th St Austin,TX 78753September 9, 2013
Works under the direction of the Group Manager with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment; serves as technical consultant for Texas Electronic Registrar (TER) issues throughout the unit. Establishes goals, objectives and develops guidelines to ensure effective program operations. Expert in interpreting Texas statutes, policies and procedures, unit rules and regulation. Makes recommendation and/or resolutions relation to issues for electronic registration. Serve as a Team Lead for compliance, understanding and functions of electronic registration, and relating to Texas Statutes and Unit Rules and Regulation for administrative staff, the public, TER Users, local registrars and governmental offices. Handles Legislative contacts and assist with the analysis of Legislative bills. Provides on going monitoring and evaluation of Electronic Registration operations, focusing on customer support activities. Plans and prepares goals and objectives with other programs within the Unit. Assists with all human resource management actions. Trains administrative staff and handles high-level administrative issues. Coordinates team leave schedule. Performs other duties as assigned.