Texas Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Interesting and challenging
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 26, 2015
This job was fun, and learned a lot. I put in to practice what I had learned in college. The attorney I worked for is a great person. The people I worked with became my friends. The environment was great and I only wish the assignment had went permanent.
Awesome Company
Active Directory/GPO Architect- Contract (Former Employee), Austin TexasAugust 25, 2015
I've been fortunate enough to have autonomy within my group. My manager is a great coach and leader and he is committed to my career growth. People who are willing to work hard, be flexible and learn on the job are the most successful.
Very inspiring place to work and grow
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: raises
TxDOT is a wonderful place to work because it allows one to aspire to their future goals and to maintain knowledge, skills, and abilities to be successful.
Very Great Experience as a Summer Hire!
Summer Hire (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Great Work environment
As a summer intern for Texas Department of Transportation I had a great time getting to learn many new things. I want to thank everyone who helped me learn these things!
Terrible
Engineering Tech I (Former Employee), Dentin, TXJuly 30, 2015
No advancing. Very misleading and no real office environment. The management or if you want to call them bosses, really don't explain what your responsibilities will be from – more... week to week. They expect a lot. If you like working outside, this is your job. Not a lot of direction from the upper management and Engineers. They do offer a "Lab" assignment. – less
productive work place
Inspector, Maintenance Tech III (Former Employee), fort worth,tx.July 23, 2015
Pros: cook outs
Cons: pay per hour and pay once per month
12 to 15 hour work day on 8 hour pay, balance comes in comp time you might not ever get off. always watching over your shoulder for traffic trying to run you over. crazy ice storms and always on call.
My work experience from Txdot
Inspector (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits
Cons: Increasing work schedule
•a typical day at work
My job is field inspection of highway construction. This involves knowledge of Txdot standards and project plans. I input my report of activities and pay items into Sitemanager – more... software. I communicate to my main office through email or phone.
•what you learned
My degree not being of civil engineering, I have learned highway construction theory and practice. Txdot standards are stronger than some other standards. Keeping pace with the contractor is good, foresight is better.
•management
Good relationship with upper management will insure a good outcome
•your co-workers
A good relationship with Co-workers will help develop a good outcome in any project
•the hardest part of the job
is finding the minutiae that might damage a project
•the most enjoyable part of the job
is having a good working relationship with all principals – less
Construction Inspector (Former Employee), Waco, TXJune 29, 2015
A typical work day consited of inspecting roads and bridge construction. Onsite inspection of roadway and bridge construction using predetermined methods, sequences and setups by a heavy highway contractor – more... while working as part of an inspection team.

Conduct inspections, observations and run materials tests.

Writing of a daily report of construction and review the reports from the inspection staff.

Checking construction work while in process and/or upon completion.

Measuring and reporting quantities

Producing records, and reports observations including video and digital pictures.

Attend progress meetings and provides input to progress schedules and quantity amounts completed for monthly cost estimates paid to the contractor – less
very positive and safe
Mobile Mechanic MVT-III (Former Employee), Waco TexasJune 19, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no overtime pay
This is the place that is worth not letting go. i left to get schooling. and i have not found another job as secure. My coworkers were amazing to work with and i owe them a great deal of respect.
ok job
Line Service Technician (Former Employee), austin,txJune 9, 2015
Pros: good work hours
Cons: got real dirty
you got really dirty, you leaned alot ,about current and voltage. different companys that build them .fun people to work with.
The opportunity to work with the government.
Office Manager & Lab Technician (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXJune 4, 2015
Pros: Working as the Office Manager.
Cons: Some of the men thought they were better than women.
Doing the clerical for the Lab. Learned how to do reports for lab. Work closely to the employees. The co-workers for the most part were great. There were no hard parts of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping other people.
Good company to start with, easy to work with coworkers, great balance of work and social life, but not competitive pay with minimal chance to advance
Engineering Assistant III (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: work/life balance, time off, coworkers
Cons: Career advancement, compensation
Great company to start with and gain experience. Will allow you to gain experience in design as well as construction, but with minimal chances at advancement.
Really laid back work environment
Office Technician (Current Employee), Odessa, TXMay 14, 2015
A day consist of answering phones and setting meetings for the Director. I also open and file all the mail. I am also the point of contact between the engineers and the consultants for each project to – more... better provide safety for the people in Odessa. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all the hard work we do to get the roads safe are not in vain. When i notice a traffic signal that has been added to an busy intersection, in my head I think. I was a part of that. – less
Great, fun workplace
Construction Inspector Intern (Former Employee), Plainview, TXMay 14, 2015
Coworkers were friendly and were there to teach you and answer all questions. Project for interns are simple and you will get alot of hours.
productive
friendly management,
challenging job,
good perks,helping to co-workers,
The most enjoyble part of the job
Not a lot of work let to do
Engineering Tech IV (Former Employee), Yoakum, TXApril 9, 2015
When I worked for TxDOT over the summer, they didn't have much for me to do so I was constantly struggling to find something to keep me busy.
Great...
Business Survey Manager (Former Employee), Corpus Christi,TxApril 8, 2015
I had a pretty good time working with the people in my designated areas. I was treated well and given respect thoughout the entire time in my survey manager position.
Wonderful people and great environment
Engineering Office Assistant (Former Employee), Tyler, TXApril 3, 2015
Pros: great opportunities
Cons: government downsizing
Wonderful opportunities
daily experience for learning
management was always understanding and helpful when in learning curve.
Co-workers were al team players.
The state filing system in triplicate
all day work
Evolving State Agency
GIS ANALYST (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 7, 2015
Pros: staff engagement, benefits
Cons: change is slow
TxDOT is a traditional state agency that is evolving to keep up with technology. There have been stumbles along the way, but at the core is a dedicated group of talented professional.