Texas Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Maybe in a few years
Building Operations Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78731August 13, 2017
Current Supervisor lacks knowledge of the job to fully lead a team. No college, no experience, on my last day he finally had classes pertaining to the job. My Supervisors boss and his bosses boss are all from DPS. The People hired are also from DPS. This is only in SSD. I cant speak about the rest of TXDOT but will say they treat temps horribly from my observation.
Pros
Some good people to work with
Cons
hardly any advancement in pay, buddy system
Great Work-Life Balance
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland / OdessaAugust 11, 2017
This agency is oriented in advancement for Engineers. If you are an engineering graduate and looking to get excellent training and skills, this is a great company to work for.
Pros
State Holidays
Cons
Advancement Opportunities for Administrative Staff is Limited
Great Job
Office Manager / Office Technician III (Current Employee) –  Athens, TXAugust 8, 2017
Very generous with time off for Family matters, and able to accrue Comp time to use for other matters. Not very good with getting promotions or career ladder changes.
Best Work place
Contract Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 3, 2017
Easy work, good pay, every weekend off. The work it self was a good work out, and the co workers where there to always give you a hand. Holidays where always awesome. Plenty of work to do, always something new to learn.
easy but political
Maintenance Tech III (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXJuly 17, 2017
not bad job, a lot of good ole boy stuff, great time off, and a lot of low stress situations. Management could be better, again the good ole boy stuff.
Great Place to work and start a Career.
Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belton, TXJuly 12, 2017
TXDOT is a great career job and offers a very good Retirement Package. It is a great place to receive all types of training for its employees and it takes Great Pride in its Safety Program. Their are a lot of advancement opportunities for any employee that is willing to take on more responsibilities.
Pros
Employee receives advance training.
Cons
Pay is competitive but could be better.
Enjoyable work environment. Good team spirit
Right of Way Agent II/Litigation Support (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2017
I enjoyed the experience of working at TxDOT. The right of way department was a well oiled machine and the staff worked very well together. I always felt the team camaraderie and willingness to work together for the betterment of the department.
I enjoy working for a good manager in a friendly job environment.
Associate General Counsel (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 8, 2017
A typical day at work would be responding to requests for legal advice, drafting and reviewing contract documents and advising the client on compliance/enforcement issues, drafting and interpreting legislation, representing the company as legal counsel in internal and external meetings, making educational presentations and generally learning new concepts and new pathways to success every day. The hardest part of any job I have had as legal counsel is when the client ignores or is hostile to legal advice and fails to listen, understand and comply with the law. The most enjoyable part of the jobs I have held as in-house counsel has been training and educating clients and enabling the client to accomplish their goals, both personally and professionally. I am seeking a workplace culture which is friendly and compassionate about work and dedicated to doing the right thing. I am seeking management that will listen to me, respect and trust my opinion and one who is interested in the advancement of its employee's careers and one who is sincerely interested in compassionate management and helping employees reach their own highest potential while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Pros
Flex time, respect for employee family obligations, employee benefits, interest in maintaining a healthy work/life balance, not tolerating employee rudeness to one another or to the client.
Cons
Politically motivated agendas, advancing profit over fiduciary duties to client
Not your typical state job
Compliance & Ethics Specialist V, IV, III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 7, 2017
TxDOT is not your typical state agency. They have so many different departments and it is easy to find what you love to do. The days are not the same and the people are genuinely nice.
Great company to work for
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2017
Laid back environment, a lot of room for growth and mentorship, and family friendly. Was a positive experience and would recommend. They have a great opportunity for Civil Engineering EIT's to get 2 years of lab, 2 years of field, and 2 years of design experience. Thus producing a very well rounded P.E., and the pay isn't too bad.
Pros
Good, decent place to work. Lots Training with emphasis on training, lots of learning opportunities, family friendly.
Cons
Little passive decision making, little sensitive and negative people. Slow pay rises, Contractors and Consulting Engineers rule the day.
Great company to work for
Resident Adviser (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 23, 2017
benefits
Cons
bureaucracy that comes with government job, also inefficiency
Very Productive with great people and a nice environment.
Summer Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJune 22, 2017
I am always able to fine stuff to do to help all of the employees in mine department. I have a lead worker that has me stuff to do most of the time but there are times when she is busy and so I will just go find someone else in my department that is needing to get some work done that they don't have time for. I have learned so many different helpful computer programs since I have been employed there. The management stays on top of things for the most part and they are very understanding when things come up or during difficult times. The workplace environment and culture is very good, all the people that work there are very friendly and always open to listen and talk with you if you need it. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with all different people that teach you all different types of things. There really isn't a hard part of the job, but one difficult frustrating thing about the job is the new programs that you have to learn and all the steps you have to take to get something done.
Pros
Lunch Breaks, understanding if an errand needs to be run
Txdot
Purchaser / Contracts Specialist V (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 21, 2017
I enjoy my job at TxDOT. The range of items procured is varied and interesting. I've learned that while similar, no two procurements are alike.

Coming from private industry to the public sector has been an adjustment. Government does not move quickly due to regulations and the need for transparency.

The hardest part of the job is balancing what your end user wants and relating that to what a vendor can provide.

The most enjoyable part of the job is completing a procurement from start to finish with great results.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Healthcare is very expensive.
fun work enviroment
General Tech 2 (Former Employee) –  Kaufman, TXJune 20, 2017
A typical day at work was, I show up get all the construction exipment read to go. Make sure all the power tools were charged. Turned on all the heavy equipment so it can warm up for the day. Then I would get to working on the projects the manager had me working on for the day.
Not a good working environment
Toll Roads Cashier (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 15, 2017
This is job for someone that do not want to move up within a company. The pay you can barely make ends meet on. I do not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
There are none
Cons
You can not make a living off this company
Good job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  1313 county Rd 19 lamesa TX 7933@June 14, 2017
This job my responsibility was to maintain and keep safety and security of offenders and provide public safety. To pass out mail and keep offenders staying focused.
great agency to work for great people, smart people
OPERATION SPECIALIST III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2017
Busy agency always on the news for the good and the bad that the public thought was the agency's fault. They had great intelligent employees and management from the Top to the Bottom of the latter.
Pros
Great people and management to work with
should have never left
Road Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  Floresville, TXJune 5, 2017
you work on the roadways in all kinds of weather, but you get to go home every night and off every weekend. I should have never left there. want to chase money.
Pros
stability
Cons
pay
Intense job due to safety for motorists and employees
Maintenance Section Supervisor V (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 30, 2017
Stressful place with respect to job safety and the safety of everyone using the transportation system. Required after hour work on holidays and weekends and time away from family.
Benefits
Cons
Time working after hours and weekends
cut throat
ROW Project (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2017
not a very good place to work at unless you have a supportive supervisor. You need to play the game to get along with others and upper management is not too certain of what they are doing.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Texas Department of Transportation Reviews by Location