Texas Department of Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Good
General Inspector (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2016
Inspecting every aspect of the job. From desk work to field work. Work more then 40 hours of week. Devote time & energy to the job that you are given to inspect. Communicate out side of work as well inside of work. Stay busy most of the time.
i dont want to do this
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJune 13, 2016
forcing me to write a review for a company that I no longer work for or care for is absolutely stupid. I hate this about indeed. not to mention requiring a minimum amount of words to continue is dumb
Great
Office Technician IV (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 8, 2016
I love this work place. This is the best job I have ever had. I could not ask for more. The people I work with and for are an added bonus.
Good place to gain government experience in transportation sector.
Contract Specialist VI (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2016
Ideal company to work for if you have an engineering or transportation back ground. Opportunity to meet and work with many different engineering companies.
Changes
Engineering Tech 1 (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 22, 2016
I really enjoy working in this field cause it is always changing. I find that no matter what you are doing there is always more than one way to accomplish the desired out come. I really enjoy working with my co-workers, and the wealth of knowledge that is available in their experiences and understanding of the job.
Pros
Learning, always changing locations
A well rounded company. Good working relations. Good place to work.
Contract Inspector (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXMay 19, 2016
The job is 8 to 5. Some overtime. I am a good worker and work independently. I come in, see what's going on for the day, and go on the road and check it out. Management is at a medium level. Most co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is dealing with people on the phone. We have to make sure we use good public relations. The most enjoyable part of my job is paying contracts after checking their completions for the month
Pros
We have hospitalization, dental, prescriptions
Cons
We pay partially for healthcare
government job that is secure
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 7, 2016
Nice place to work at. they offer reimbursement program for higher education, in turn employees can advance in Tex DOT.
learning experience
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXMay 3, 2016
If you want to learn the basics of hi-way maintenance this is the place to go. They will teach you a lot just don't expect to make a lot of money doing it.
close to home
Captain (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 22, 2016
Getting people to and from work, and the pretty mornings in the the foggy windy and rain , but we running thought in all . The management was great in the 90's but like every thing the times have changed .
Pros
bring on the water
Cons
rain and fog
did not like this job
Maintenance Tech Three (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 18, 2016
to many chiefs and not enough Indians to much good ole boy and not much work getting done spend more time moving to jobs then working
Fun work place
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Dalhart, TXApril 12, 2016
the days off were great. we worked Monday- Thursday. the 10 hour days got long but most were fun. the worst part of the job was having to work the roads after a snow fall.
Was okay if need lots of time off
Civil inspector (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXApril 11, 2016
Sometimes you would work long hours but could use FLSA to take time off. Never got paid overtime, only FLSA. Free insurance
Pros
steady schedule
Cons
bad pay
SIGN TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Baird, TXApril 5, 2016
I started with tx.Dot as a general roadway technician. Job duties were limited at first until I got my class a cdl. Upon recieving my cdl I was made the roadway herbicide applicator position for callahan county. Duties included keeping records of application rates, wind speed, location, herbicides being applied, as well as the form of applying the chemical. I was an applicator for the full spray season (lasting a year being unsupervised directly). At the end of the spray season I was promoted to the sign tech position. This position was also a nonsupervised job that required me to maintain interstate 20 through callahan county soley. Job duties included removing rubber and large sized trash from the roadway aswell as from the right of way. Repairing/ replacing damaged or old signs, post, and delineators. Digging holes by hand as well as with a posthole digger mounted on skid steer and setting base in cement.
Pros
God Benefits
Cons
Poor Advancement
Great Organization but Leadership lacking and department understaffed
Environmental Specialist II (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 29, 2016
Typical day at work environmentally clearing roadway project for letting. I learned lot about NEPA requirements for environmental clearance and multiple deadlines.Management and upper level leadership in short supply. My co-workers were mixed. Hardest part of the job was politics, stress, poor leadership, being understaffed, not having my autonomy and my personal leadership skills were not valued. Most enjoyable part of the job was doing the actual work.
Pros
Organization, Resources, Training
Cons
Poor Leadership, Understaffed
Productive and fast paced environment
Hebbronville Section - General Maintenance Tech I (Current Employee) –  Hebbronville, TXMarch 21, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of clocking in at 5am walking the halls to secure the facility and maintain a safe working environment for my self and others. I learned valuable communication skills and effective work relations with others. Management was on the fair side, coworkers all got along well with each other. The hardest part was dealing with uncooperative inmates. The most enjoyable part was the experience.
Nice place to work
System Developer / QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 15, 2016
Enjoyed every moment of it. Learned a lot. Sent me for a "managing the work place" course for a week. Learnt Natural/ADABAS language and JCL, TSO/ISPF OP system.
Pros
Very Flex hours
Cons
Very slow procedure for advancements
Lots of work, bad management, no advancement.
Contract Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 8, 2016
Overloaded with work, long hours, understaffed, no direction, forced to make executive decisions and hope for the best. Learned all the in and outs of contract award, execution, contractor certification/prequalification, monitoring and managing contractor insurance. Great co-workers, enjoyed working with most of the employees there.
Management hardly backs the employees, no communication from management and hardly provides leadership.
Pros
Benefits, lower level employees (great to work with)
Cons
Bad management and lack of leadership and direction
low pay, poor management, heavy workload
Inspector - West Central Harris Maint (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2016
For maintenance section employees, this is a job that's suited for young people with little education who enjoy being bossed around by people with little management skills. Too few employees for the workload, so everyone is overworked. The pay is entry-level and 2.5% raises received every 2 - 3 years do not keep up with inflation. Most employees work on call for one week a month in order to supplement our income, or we have to work a 2nd, outside job in order to make ends meet. Some do both. Benefits and retirement used to be good, but have changed for the worse for new hires in the last 2 years. The only redeeming portions of the job are the high number of paid holidays and the full-paid insurance for employees with no spouse/children.
seminole txdot
Tech II (Former Employee) –  Seminole, TXJanuary 8, 2016
I didn't mind the job, Just need a better supervisor. Couldn't advance in the job when I wanted to. Had to many broken promises about my pay and wasn't making enough
Workplace was fun and work varied every day
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 3, 2016
Worked as an engineering intern during the summer of 2015 before I graduated from Texas Tech University. I never did the same thing 2 consecutive days. Management moved me around frequently to get me exposure to all of the work they do. I ran field tests on concrete as well as flex-based and lime-based dirt. Performed many tests in the laboratory to verify the safety of the materials being used on roadways including concrete materials and dirt. Most people were easy to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Texas Department of Transportation Reviews by Location