Texas Gas Service Employee Reviews

productive and fun place to work
Account Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 27, 2015
Typical day entailed keeping up on accounts that had been flagged delinquent, researching. Loved coworkers and comrodery
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 11, 2015
Good work environment, great people.

Enjoy going to work to a place were you are appreciated for what you do every day.
The company provides good training for development when the employee ask for it.
Some how a very slow pace to grow within the company.
Excellent benefits, but unless your friends with upper management there's not much room for advancement.
Service Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2015
I've been with this company for six years. The benefits are great, and the amount of money you can make with overtime is fairly decent. A typical day usually starts out making service calls in a company work truck for customers who need their gas service turned on. It also involves responding to emergencies involving leaks, CO, fires, pressure, maintenance, and any other natural gas issues. I've learned how to remain calm in stressful situations, and trouble shoot through difficult tasks that sometimes required a fairly decent amount of problem solving. Initally a great place to work, but unfortunatley I found out that management loves to play favorites and if your not one of them then good luck moving up. Service Techs work alone, but whenever there's a big project then teamwork is key. Getting along with your coworkers is crucial in this business. If you need help it's as easy as making a phone call, and there will always be someone to assist you. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress that upper management enforces upon its employees. Demanding that quotas are met by a certain time frame yet. So you have to work fast but in a safe way so you don't make a single mistake. When working with natural gas all it takes is one mistake to cost you your job and someone's life, or property. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you've satisfied the customer by providing them with a service they will need to make thier lives easier.
Pros
Great benefits, decent starting wages, decent overtime
Cons
stress from upper management, hard to advance, no one is never on the same page when it comes to enforcing rules and procedures
Corrosion Technician (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TxJune 28, 2015
This is a great company to work for due to the fact that they are very pro on safety and employee development. i learned to become a corrosion technician which was something i had never done before. This experience has opened many doors for me to expand my knowledge and put my past experience in this field.
great company to work for
Serviceman Tech (Former Employee) –  Monahans,Tx.June 22, 2015
Work 8 hour days off on weekends on call for a week,
work other towns nearby,meet customers everyday,
Great benefits maun office El Paso great communication
with supervisors
Pros
excellant training
Cons
office closed to public in small towns
An overall good company to work for.
DAMAGE PREVENTION/FIELD TECH III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 8, 2015
I was happy to be at work earlier than my appointed time and begin my day with all things in order.

I learned quite a bit about the natural gas industry in the way of damage prevention, state and federal regulations, safety and overall operations.

The management, for the most part, was a pretty good group of folks that knew their jobs well.

My coworkers were hard working and professional.

The hardest part of my job was being on call 24/7/365.

I really enjoyed training people to do a better job and to work safely.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
being on call 24/7/365
Was Temporary service
installer/helper (Former Employee) –  galveston,txNovember 7, 2014
Company wasn't hiring just temporary services. Installed Gas lines at homes and businesses. Also fixed leaks and made repairs to damage lines
Great company to work for. Very diversified and great benefits!
Staff Specialist - Construction (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 23, 2014
I am extremely busy day in and day out processing gas service retirements, requesting excavation permits from the COA Right of Way Management Division, and coordinating gas line repairs. The management is very personable and understanding about your workload and responsibilities as well as your personal and family responsibilities.
The toughest aspect of my job is dealing with the City of Austin and Travis County in order to obtain excavation permits. There is a lot involved with obtaining each and every permit. I have to coordinate with other contractors in the downtown area, turn in the necessary paperwork called for in special situations and maintain a professional, working relationship with each entity.
The most enjoyable aspect of my job is the wonderful camaraderie and interaction with my co-workers.
Pros
great folks to work with and great benefits!
Cons
not being able to work from home, on occasion.
Assistant Buyer (Stores and Purchasing Department)
ASSISTANT BUYER (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 9, 2014
I loved working at this company because TGS invested in me with so much professional development. They helped me to grow in the technology field, administrative field, interpersonal skills, professional and personal etiquette. They have employees and management that care and are true leaders in the utility business.
Good place to work and retire from.
Service Technician II (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 5, 2014
A typical day starts from my home with a company provided vehicle and ends with the drive home. I get the added benefit of not having to use my own personal vehicle. I learned a lot about gas and fuel codes and installations. The hardest part of the job would probably be the accountability. Being accountable for anything you do inside the customers home once you leave, despite what might happen when customers decide to make repairs themselves. So what I've learned is to make sure to document everything you did or did not do before you leave or you could be held accountable. Natural gas is dangerous and not to be taken lightly so it is so important to educate customers on the dangers involved in appliances that are not installed up to code. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be taking a negative situation and turning it into a positive one. It's a challenge to let customers see the positive side to red tagging their appliances even after a licensed co. installed it. It is my job to show them the safety side of the issue.
Pros
good benefits, you don't use your own vehicle, plenty of vacation days and sick days
Cons
you can't use your license, you can't practice all aspects of plumbing, just gas
Good company to work for, but management lacks knowledge..
Pipeline engineer II (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJuly 25, 2013
A typical day at TGS will be running up and down with managing multiple projects at a time. The employees are great, but you won't get any support from upper management.
Best Place I've Worked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 7, 2013
Everything about this company was amazing. They really took the time to please both customers and employees.
Pros
free company events and incentive competitions
Cons
highly demanding work schedule
Great working relationships, great support in a stressful work environment
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 5, 2013
This was a great place to work at in regards to relationships made. I am still friends with the people I worked with 10 years ago. The management was tight and micromanaged; however, their concern for you well being balanced a highly stressful work enviroment dealing with irrate customers.
Pros
friendly and sympathetic work environment
Cons
low pay and very little room for advancement
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  El Paso TxFebruary 7, 2013
Took phone calls over the phone for Texas Gas Service turned service on, off and took payments over the phone as well.
Management was good
Co-workers were great
Dealing with upset customers
Being able to help customers out in anyway possible
Pros
great work environment
Cons
n/a
Company with a great deal of responsibility on its shoulders
Senior Feild Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2013
Setting up cng trailers,odorant concentration test,leak investigation.
I learned I am capable of more than I thought I was.
Very fun Company to work for ,lots of volunteer opportunities
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 1, 2012
6am-3pm loved my shift ,learned more opportunities to better my customer service skills .
Management - I believe management team needs to be retrained or atleast give them a refresher every 6 months due to lots of managers are not helpful with problems due to them not knowing the system .

My co-workers are fun loved working w/them made me feel like an outside fam was always there.

Hardest part of my job at Texas Gas Service was having a problem with a customer i couldn't assit due to limited resource and try to get help from management and they were not able to assist .

The most enjoyable par was working with different customers and helping them with different issues they needed to resolve .
Pros
lots of volunteer opportunities.
Cons
short brakes, management not helpful.