Texas Juvenile Justice Department Employee Reviews

Challenging with little support from management
Juvenile Corrections Officer IV (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Difficult place to work with very high turnover rate. Very often schedules will be changed by supervisors with no concern to whether staff is available for different times
Pros
State benefits and lots of holiday and vacation time
Cons
no consistancy with work hours, very difficult to take the time off you have acrued, which is then taken away if not used
Good job security
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Easy job in a overall quiet workplace. Everyone is nice and helpful when help is needed. Steady work pace and not too stressful environment.
Tjjd
Re-entry Education Liaison (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXFebruary 14, 2017
All in all? it is... the Good, the Bad and the Ugly all wrapped up in one. High stress! Low pay is the ugly part. The bad is the fact that you never see to many results from your work. The Good? You do make a slight difference in a Youth's life.
Change, change, change
Parole Officer III (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXFebruary 5, 2017
There are different positions within this organization for dealing with at-risk youths and delinquents. I travel a great deal servicing over 5 counties.
Supportive staff
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXDecember 18, 2016
Structured but yet willing to re look at new ways of doing things. Employer is proactive with community involvement. Miss the great staff there.
terrible schedule
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXDecember 2, 2016
The job has great benefits, it seems to have great job security, but the work schedule is very hard to live with, also very far no time to spend with my kids.
Pros
a lot of overtime
Cons
no time for a balanced life
review
JCO III (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXNovember 4, 2016
Not such a bad job. Sometimes have to work 12-14 hour shifts.
Wake youth up and prepare them for their scheduled 16 hour schedule. Preparing the youth for breakfast, school, lunch, recreation, supper, and bedtime. The job can be complicated but it can also be very fun and easy.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Crazy Hours
overall
JUVENILE CORRECTIONAL OFFICER III (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXNovember 1, 2016
It is very stressful because the type of environment and the managers would make you stay longer than the time you were on the schedule for with minutes of notification.
right
Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2016
Its an ok place to work good benefits. Pay is to low. It is a very flexible company and they work around your schedule. You have to be self motivated to work there.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
low pay
Dangerous Youths
Juvenile Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Brownwood, TXAugust 22, 2016
Good place to develop skills to deal with abusive treatment because these youths give it to you regularly, and you better learn to take it or you won't make it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Schedule, Co-workers
Soul crushing place
Youth Rights Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXAugust 12, 2016
Do not work here unless you want to be depressed, harassed and generally miserable. If you "offend" the wrong person, you could be fired. I have learned nothing here other than I cant wait to find another job. This place sucks.
It was a productive work place.
Alcohol and Drug Treatment Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXJune 27, 2016
It was a high security place to work. I liked the job I did there. It gave me the opportunity to learn a lot. Everyone is a team player there.
Pros
A lot of training, security provided, team players
Cons
The pay was low, couldn't take personal items in like purse or phone.
Fun workplace
Parole Internship (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 4, 2016
It was fun to go do home visits with the Parole Officers. We also did school visits and work visits. We did drug tests and assessments.
Worst job I ever had
JCO III (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXMay 21, 2016
There is no structure and the juveniles get away with almost anything and the superintendent doesn't do anything to fix the problems.
Positve incentives for the youths every month.
PEIMS/ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, TXMay 17, 2016
A typical day at work would be working on attendance on a daily basis.

I've learned to become stronger with areas that I was not familiar with on certain reports.

Management has not been great. We have had several different leaders here that do not last to long on the job.

My co-workers are amazing. Very helpful and informative.

The hardest part about my job is watching or listening to the youths act out.

The most enjoyable part is helping youths with there education.
Pros
meeting new people.
Cons
youths are not always on their best behavior.
Cultrure Shock
Juvenile Correction Officer III (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXMay 2, 2016
After working in law enforcement and corrections for many years I found that the management lacked real leadership. The employees scheduling was chaotic to say the least. Although there were some professional people there it was not enough to out weigh the very unprofessional employees whose conduct was shocking. There was absolutely no structure.
It could e a productive work place.
Recreational Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Mart, TX 76664April 1, 2016
I was a Correctional Officer and Case Manager. It was really stressful. There is room for advancement the management is just horrible.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Management is horrible
Tough job
Juvenile Corrections Officer V On Duty Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brownwood texasMarch 17, 2016
Long hours, little supervision that looks out for their employees. They always say they have your back but when it comes down to it they will fire you so quickly. Its a decent paying job, but they tax a lot of your over time and usually takes them 3+ months to pay you your overtime.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
long hours, taxed overtime, no leadership, leadership doesn't have your back
Lack of support from higher-ups
JCO III (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Former employee of over a year
You will get hired and told that your job matters and that you'll make a difference. Sadly that's not the case here. Your 8 hour work day will soon turn into a 10 or 12 hour shift without a notice. The lack of professionalism, is so poor and the moral of staff is just as bad. The pay is decent depending if you have a college degree or military background. You'll watch as lower ranked staff get better treatment because they're friends with the supervisor outside the fence.
Over worked and always being called into work early because of staffing issues. A * will be place by your name, to show if you're stuck with a 12 hour shift. The different patterns for what your schedule will be is horrible and again if your coworker has it in good with the supervisor, their * will now be yours. The youth have problems and a restraint will happen, good luck getting other staff members to help you! The biggest problem is staffing issues and the upper management not backing you up at all. You're looked down upon and trust me, you'll get thrown under the bus so they get to keep their high paying job. It's a joke out there, just be ready.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Horrible hours, low pay, poor support from supervisors
You have to love what you do for the kids
Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXFebruary 7, 2016
You can't work for this agency and not want to help the children. My issues were not with the children but with the staff. It was nothing but a drama filled soap opera. Also my supervisor (she transferred after the person that hired me retired) made my life terrible and apparently I found out she made other people lives like that too. She was just a jerk, which made the environment very uncomfortable. When I became very ill she was even telling people I was faking and then when she found out I almost died, she had the audacity to visit me. Yet, told people I was going to die. I felt safer with the children I worked with and helped than the majority of the staff on campus. Too much staff/staff physical relationships, swapping partners, staff sleeping with children, etc. Then the workload it just ridiculous, you are never caught up with your work because you typically come into an environment that most department are already behind on paperwork. There were many nights I left at 12a to commute an hour home.
Benefits
Cons
Childish staff, non-supportive management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Juvenile Justice Department. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7