Texas Juvenile Justice Department Employee Reviews

Never ever ever on gods good earth choose to work here
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXFebruary 7, 2014
When I first started here little to nothing if at all has changed, my first week on shift I remember very clearly having to work the whole week on 12 hour shifts. Low morale continues to exist and persist because not one supervisor is willing to stick there neck out for you even if your wrong. Overtime is plenty and will become so overwhelming you will begin to question if the money is worth the stress. Most of the time you will have no say so when you are told to stay over or when you are on call to clock in early. There on call system consists of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. stars that are issued on a weekly basis on the schedule board but little is done to follow it due to favoritism or due to shortage of staff some are made to stay over or clock in early because of it. The state of Texas also continues to refuse the fact that what they have here at their facilities across the state are spoiled, controlling, criminals who like to have their way REGARDLESS of the facility program or the charges the youth will get when they go apeshet and hurt themselves, others or staff. These motherfckrs called youth just don't care and can care less if they are copping out and nothing is done curb their appetite for destruction. So after you begin to lose morale and they have beaten you to a pulp with all the extra hours and stress you begin to slip up and make mistakes that can and will cost you your job.
Pros
pay, benefits and nothing else
Cons
no breaks ever, low morale, high turn over rate, short staff, work overtime at moments notice
benefits elsewhere are better... it all depends on your perspective
Prior Corrections Industry (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 23, 2013
You may think the benefits are good, if you never had any benefits at all.... not what they use to be, there is much better, keep looking expect the schedule to consume your life if you are a JCO, you will swing work wise all over the place. No raises ever because it is never ever in the budget except for top people who somehow manage to get/budget fat bonuses. Plus, even if they decide to budget for raises, you have to score "exceeds" satisfactory, not good enough to be satisfactory.. imagine some of the back stabbing, manipulative competition that goes along with this too, when they will only give a single budgeted raise to one person out of five, or ten people? This is one of their methods, but this depends on which location, what supervisor, maybe even what day it is and/or what side of the bed they got up on. I'd just say, if you are looking and have nothing to go to, this they might have something, a nice filler, if you are in a career for corrections, but otherwise, I would keep looking, they are still lacking in many areas, especially in the department of how they treat their employees.
Was once a good place to work.
Juvenile Correctional Officer IV (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXJuly 28, 2014
Management are only concerned with themselves. Job has become so dangerous that upper level management won't set foot on dorms or education. What's even worst is that the heads of the agency acts as though they don't know about the problems. Supervisors don't train staff. The program we run is similar to a daycare. No structure. High turn over. High overtime. Favoritism. Terrible management decisions made. Hard to even get a restroom break. Town hall meetings are a joke because they leave like five minutes to address lower level issues then tell you to get with the same supervisors that haven't handled the problem. If upper management had to work the dorm one day for 12 hours a piece things would definitely turn around. This job is starting to get to the point where the pay and benefits are not worth it. That is why people are quitting for peace of mind.
Pros
pay, benefits, overtime
Cons
poor family/work balance, overtime, breaks, management, unsafe conditions
Review
JCO 4 (Former Employee) –  Gainesville TXAugust 9, 2012
This place is a total joke these kids are allowed to assualt staff as they want to. Management is afraid of a lawsuits and caters to the gangbangers there. If you are assulted they either do nothing or tell you to" take one for the team" or the kids gets 55 minute time out. If you get hurt they try and get rid of you as soon as your suck time is used up. Constant turnover rate of 95% is also one of the problems.. Low morale if any. Poor management, long hours I worked several 24 hour days as people would take every day off they earned and there are never enough staff to manage the place. As the manager of a Federal Comunity Corrections Center for 9 years and the manager for a work relesae program, I never in my life had the type and kinds of problems Gainesville State school has. I even had my first evaluation changed after I had signed it.

As for the most enjoyable part of the job it is leaving at the end of the day as fast as you can.
Cons
pay, leadership, trust, discipline
Federal Corrections pay is appropriate
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 18, 2012
If you have the credentials to work in corrections, the compensation is appropriate at the Federal level, not state. Agency is on a raise freeze for everyone and has been now for years, more so than any other state agencies. Funds are not budgeted to provide for employee increases. Working in state government is also expensive, you are required up front to contribute 6% of your check to mandatory retirement and compensation for working in a halfway house is categorized at Hazardous Duty, which means you receive $10 per month for each year of state service, but you receive the same for longevity pay, but not hazardous duty and longevity at the same time, only one or the other, therefore, the compensation they call Hazardous Duty is one you would receive rate wise for longevity over a period of time anyway. Look at your job title and pay that you are starting with and make sure that you can live with it for a long, long time, if need be. Additionally, for some, it may be harder to find another job after working with this agency, unless corrections is your profession.
Productive and Challenging
Juvenile Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXApril 1, 2015
A typical day would begin 6pm to 6am 4 days on 4 days off, working with youths that have committed crimes. Most of the juveniles suffer with emotional, mental issues, most juveniles in this facility were sexually abused.

Each day we maintained appropriate control, security and well-being of youth at all times. Supervise the activities of adolescents in a residential setting. Escorted prisoners to court appearances in a timely fashion. Maintained correct physical head count at all times

The hardest part of this job was dealing with co-workers that would not up hold their duties.

The best part of my job was watching some of the juveniles reach their potential.
Pros
good pay, and benefits
Cons
no breaks, and could not live the facility or dorm
Good foot in the door...
Juvenile Corrections Officer III (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, TXApril 25, 2013
If you don't have patience and can not adjust to change and lack of professional management...this is not the place for you. The juveniles are the least of your worries, your co-workers are the ones you have to keep an eye on. Don't trust anyone except for the people you train with. Better yet just say "Hi," and "Bye " to your fellow co-workers. Also have a make believe "life story", if not your business will be all over the facility and the youth will know as well. No one knows my real life story at work:)
Pros
compensation, free meals, holiday pay, and move up fast
Cons
co-workers and never ending changing of schedule at the last mnute
Managing unpredictable youth
Juvenile Correctional Officer IV (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJanuary 17, 2015
As security personnel I monitored youth housed in the security unit. This unit was a segregation unit for those youth who do not comply with the rules of the facility. I monitored youth by checking them every 15 minutes and documenting it on their door log. Give showers to those that are in compliance with the security dorm rules. Patrolled facility to make sure the facility is secure. I learned that these youth are unpredictable and you always need to stay alert.My co-workers had knowledge on what to do in certain situations. The hardest part of the job was the long hours due to short staffing. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a positive influence on these youth.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
no breaks if short staffed
TJJD
Juvenile Correctional Officer V (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXNovember 20, 2014
Supervising Juvenile Offenders, supervising JCO's, I have learned a lot of patience while working here as well as managerial skills such as imputing data and creating plan of actions, writing incident reports, responding to incidents, deescalating potential dangerous situations, I would have to say the hardest part of the job would have to be having most of your problems come from the employees and not the youth. The part of my job that I liked the most is working with the youth and helping them become productive citizens once reintegrated back into society.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
cost of living raises
Tough Environment
Youth Facility Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXMarch 18, 2014
The agency is a correctional organization and no day was typical, in a juvenile facility everyday is an adventure. I learned patience and self control in working with the many different personalities within the facility. My supervisors were supportive and ensured that we had what we needed to complete our jobs effectively.
My management team was great and were willing to be part of a new team. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do more for my employees, and the most enjoyable was building and working with a great team.
Pros
state agency, job security
Cons
stressfull environment
Job summary as a JCO at TJJD
Juvenile Correctional Officer III (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXMay 29, 2013
A typical day of supervising young between the ages of 12 and 18 years of age. Escorting them to education, movie and game room, chow hall, med trips, and church services. Supervising, 8-12 youth on a pod setting with chores, games and television. Youth are on a 16 hour schedule everyday; going to be according to their behavior.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
always late relief due to the lack of staff coming to work on time
Recreation Program Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXDecember 30, 2014
A typical day was different all the time. You always had to be alert and expect the unexpected at all times. Throughout my experience with this company, I learned that you never know what a person has gone through, going through, or will go through until you are actually there with them. The hardest part of the job was to deal with unprofessional co-workers. The most enjoyable part was impacting the youth's life in a positive manner.
what I learend
Juvenile correctional officer 4 (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TXSeptember 5, 2014
always happy days and learned how to drive a school bus how to management of 82 students at one time. my co-workers were helpful when needed. my hardest part was to see my students go on to college and not see them aging till they graduated . the most enjoyable was to be pr have the privilege of meeting different cultures and ages of all the students.
Pros
make a differance in someones life
Cons
haveing to see them grow up so fast
Working with Juveniles
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Giddings, TexasJune 15, 2015
My day at work was very interesting. Working with Juveniles was probably the most difficult job not only are you dealing with youths but with youths that committed a crime. Your train of thought has to change because your bond to think that how could you help someone that harm another human being. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping those youths better there life.
Pros
free lunch, free medical insurance
Cons
no breaks
Good if you want to help kids
JCO (Former Employee) –  Corsicana txSeptember 11, 2015
There is a possibility of helping the kids, but they get away with to much. I was assaulted with no charges filed and any use of force is made to make you look bad.

Many employees are unprofessional and dont show up making forced OT.
Pros
Easy job, get to talk to kids
Cons
Poorly run, no time for a life, not paid as well as you should be
Last Chance Not First Choice
Juvenile Correctional Officer V (Current Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJune 12, 2013
Look before you leap! I would not recommend this place to friends, family or anyone I cared about. It is riddled with problems that management tries hard to coverup just like putting lipstick on a pig.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
kingdoms and silos, unqualified superintendent, ongoing scheduling issues, very low morale
JCO III Duties
JCO III (Current Employee) –  Brownwood, TXNovember 17, 2012
Youth Supervision was my main duty. As a late night staff I was also responsible for setting up paper work for next shifts in a organized manner. I also have to routinely check forms and other paper work for compliance with ACA and TJJD standards.
Pros
pay and benfits, coworkers are just awesome here
Cons
no breaks or lunch break work 8 hrs strait.
Employee Drama
Juvenile Corrections Officer IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX,Giddings,TXMarch 9, 2014
constant problems with upper management, jealousy an envy throughout the workplace, if your working at the institution be prepared to work. highly stressful, very political. pay is good after having 120hrs of overtime at the end of the month. if your prior service like I was you'll be promoted easy.
Pros
benefits.
Cons
long work hours
Juvenile Correctional Facility
Juvenile Corrections Officer V (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXSeptember 1, 2013
I have spent most of my time dealing with juvenile correctional youths whom have caused a variety of criminal activities such as; harm to innocent victims, heinous sexual assaults, sale or possession of drugs, and even involvement of gang activities.
Pros
helping out troubled and disturbed teens
Cons
no work life balance with a hazardous and stressful environment
Close knit, family culture
Program Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 24, 2012
Family comes first in this state agency.Children are welcome in the office, as long as they behave themselves, and taking personal time due to family issues is of no concern. Everyone is held accountable for and is expected to pull their own weight. Micromangement is at minimum.
Pros
great benefits and retirement
Cons
low pay