Texas Juvenile Justice Department Employee Reviews

Stressful
Juvenile Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJanuary 9, 2018
Seems like the only place in town that pays well and offers health insurance. Getting lock down and not getting off on time. Sucks because its basically the best place to work in this small town.
Pros
Free healthcare, 401K
Cons
Never sure you gonna get out on time, Lock downs
Great work - terrible "boys club" type style of management
Program Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJanuary 5, 2018
Save for one, the administrators of the Brownwood Facility were hard to work with on all fronts. Zero cooperation between central office departments and local facility administration at the highest level. Retaliation of some sort was typical for those whose spoke up and out against anything put forth by administration that wasn't in compliance with actual policy and procedure.
Pros
good pay for the area
Cons
extremely stressful work environment
very inconsistant
juvenile supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 2, 2018
cutthroat, backstabbers, inconsistent,bossy,if you like to take orders and get written up for what your supervisor says, take this job.Do what is told and you"ll be wrong.
Be aware at all times
Juvenile Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXDecember 5, 2017
I love working with children I really didnt know what i was getting into at the time of my employment honestly i cried everday as i drove to work.The Envioriment was stressful and challenging but i could not and would not give up on these children.
Good compensation/benefits.
Human Resources Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXDecember 4, 2017
TJJD pays well and has excellent benefits and retirement. There is room for advancement in some positions. Some positions require working a lot of overtime hours.
difficult, bad working enviroment
correctinal officer (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXNovember 27, 2017
I learned a lot, very challenging job. The youth are troubled and very disrespectful. The state cares more about the youth then the staff. There is no rel team work here. I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no breaks or lunch breaks
good place
Security Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, TXNovember 26, 2017
I recommend it here for those who just graduated with the bachelors degree and want to get their feet wet and want to get exposed to the criminal justice field
Great place
Clerical Substitute And Teacher Aide Substitute (Current Employee) –  Caldwell, TXNovember 4, 2017
Everyone works very well together, and functions as a team in a ambiguous environment. You are treated with respect by other staff members and you know you can depend on any assistance if needed.
Violent and dangerous
Juvenile Corrections Officer II (JCO) (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXNovember 1, 2017
I would be hesitant to to recommend a career as a Juvenile Corrections Officer to anyone given the dangerous and abusive environment that one is forced to endure while on duty.
Pros
One gets four dark green golf shirts to use on the job.
Cons
Danger, Violence, Foul language and disrespect etc.
good benefits
Juvenile Correctional Officer V (Current Employee) –  Giddings, TXOctober 12, 2017
this a secure and high benefit job but the management is horrible. I don't know if ti is because of the state regulations but the job id=s really stressful....
Pros
life time benefits
Cons
management needs to be changed
Stressful with a high turnover rate.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Mart, TxOctober 10, 2017
I enjoy working around the youth because a lot of them aren't use to being around a positive adult, such as myself, that's willing to guide them in the right direction. The pay and benefits are great, but you have to be able to work in a hostile environment without allowing the environment to control your ability to be a good, positive role model. You have to be fair and consistent on a daily basis, but humble enough to deal with those who aren't.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Cons
Hard to get breaks, expect the unexpected and be prepared to work 12hrs. daily.
Do not risk your well being
Correctional Officer IV (Former Employee) –  Mart, TXOctober 9, 2017
The management does not believe in breaks its almost close to impossible to get 1. The management has the youths back instead of their staff. The staff is constantly assaulted by the youth, and management gives the youth what they want. This is not a rehab center for the youth, its more of a vacation resort for them. The youth constantly makes false allegations, and the staff is punished for the youth allegations when its not true. This is not a safe environment.
Pros
Cons
everything
Don't work here
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXSeptember 23, 2017
Employees are devalued, unappreciated, overworked, and underpaid. There is no room for advancement. There is a lot of backbiting and backstabbing. Poor management.
Productive work place
Clerk IV (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, TXSeptember 13, 2017
everyday it's a different work load and learning something different. Our Dept. management is great we all communicate and work as team. Culture is all mixed all get along and work a team too. The hardest of job is comparing out PO and to our invoices and they are times that the invoice prices are incorrect so we have to wait to pay invoice until it gets correct by the vendors.

I enjoy coming to work every day my position is what I like doing reviewing invoice, filing, data entry.
Pros
I like working 10 hour shifts and enjoy a 3 day weekend .
Cons
i get only 30 minute lunch break
Very Stressful
Worker (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 24, 2017
Working in this field is incredibly stressful, but the cutthroat atmosphere adds greatly to the stress. While there should be a desire to work towards the best interest of the clients, instead there is secrecy, backstabbing, and lies--coupled with normal government work issues such as low budget
A difficult environment for everyone
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2017
Because of the nature of the agency (juvenile justice) many positions were stressful. I saw no room for advancement.The staff was more than willing to help each other out.
benefits
Cons
no advancement or raises
Stressful but rewarding
Human Resources Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Mart, TXAugust 11, 2017
Stressful but rewarding. The HR department is a good place to work. The job work/life balance is good. You only work 40 hours a week. There are a lot of jobs currently being cut due to the State budget.
Productive Day
Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2017
Did home evaluations. It was awesome. Very good company. You have to deal with a lot of kids. The workplace is very diverse, there's no hard part of this job.
Great Employer to work For
Juvenile Supervisor Officer II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 24, 2017
I worked in Dallas county under the Texas Juvenile Justice Department, the Culture was amazing I was surrounded by people who really cared for the children that they supervised and really felt like I could impact a child's life. There is also great upward mobility, they promote from within.
good job with great benefits
Teacher Aide IV (Current Employee) –  Giddings, TXJuly 7, 2017
This can be a stressful job working with students that are very challenging. It can also be very rewarding as long as you follow all of the training they give you from the beginning.