Texas Juvenile Justice Department

Texas Juvenile Justice Department Employer Reviews

what I learend
Juvenile correctional officer 4 (Former Employee), Giddings, TXSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: make a differance in someones life
Cons: haveing to see them grow up so fast
always happy days and learned how to drive a school bus how to management of 82 students at one time. my co-workers were helpful when needed. my hardest part was to see my students go on to college and not see them aging till they graduated . the most enjoyable was to be pr have the privilege of meeting different cultures and ages of all the students.
Was once a good place to work.
Juvenile Correctional Officer IV (Current Employee), Mart, TXJuly 28, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, overtime
Cons: poor family/work balance, overtime, breaks, management, unsafe conditions
Management are only concerned with themselves. Job has become so dangerous that upper level management won't set foot on dorms or education. What's even worst is that the heads of the agency acts as though they don't know about the problems. Supervisors don't train staff. The program we run is similar to a daycare. No structure. High turn over. High – more... overtime. Favoritism. Terrible management decisions made. Hard to even get a restroom break. Town hall meetings are a joke because they leave like five minutes to address lower level issues then tell you to get with the same supervisors that haven't handled the problem. If upper management had to work the dorm one day for 12 hours a piece things would definitely turn around. This job is starting to get to the point where the pay and benefits are not worth it. That is why people are quitting for peace of mind. – less
Standard State of Texas Agency
Legal Assistant III (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 22, 2014
Pros: state benefits
Cons: lack of upward mobility
Standard day to day state agency that is dedicated to protecting the rights of children incarcerated in the juvenile justice system. Management and coworkers are all dedicated to the mission.
Ok Job and Good Benefits
Juvenile Corrections Officer (I-V) (Former Employee), Corsicana, TXJune 26, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: work hours
facility requires coverage 24 hours
communication issues with management
hardest part of job is the coverage issue that requires you to spend a lot of time away from your family
An okay place to work.
Juvenile Correction Officer (Current Employee), Mart, TXJune 23, 2014
Good working with the children and helping them turn their lives for the better.
A place to work
Juvenile Correctional Officer III (Former Employee), Mart, TXJune 7, 2014
Pros: pays well
Cons: no breaks and dangerous
This job can be dangerous and scary.
youth was ok but the staff is no good.
Tough Environment
Youth Facility Superintendent (Former Employee), Mart, TXMarch 18, 2014
Pros: state agency, job security
Cons: stressfull environment
The agency is a correctional organization and no day was typical, in a juvenile facility everyday is an adventure. I learned patience and self control in working with the many different personalities within the facility. My supervisors were supportive and ensured that we had what we needed to complete our jobs effectively.
My management team was great – more... and were willing to be part of a new team. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do more for my employees, and the most enjoyable was building and working with a great team. – less
Employee Drama
Juvenile Corrections Officer IV (Former Employee), Austin, TX,Giddings,TXMarch 9, 2014
Pros: benefits.
Cons: long work hours
constant problems with upper management, jealousy an envy throughout the workplace, if your working at the institution be prepared to work. highly stressful, very political. pay is good after having 120hrs of overtime at the end of the month. if your prior service like I was you'll be promoted easy.
Great co-workers
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: work/life balance
Enjoyed work with my co-workers. learned how to be professional at all times and to quickly diagnose a negative situation and fix it.
Never ever ever on gods good earth choose to work here
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Edinburg, TXFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits and nothing else
Cons: no breaks ever, low morale, high turn over rate, short staff, work overtime at moments notice
When I first started here little to nothing if at all has changed, my first week on shift I remember very clearly having to work the whole week on 12 hour shifts. Low morale continues to exist and persist because not one supervisor is willing to stick there neck out for you even if your wrong. Overtime is plenty and will become so overwhelming you will – more... begin to question if the money is worth the stress. Most of the time you will have no say so when you are told to stay over or when you are on call to clock in early. There on call system consists of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. stars that are issued on a weekly basis on the schedule board but little is done to follow it due to favoritism or due to shortage of staff some are made to stay over or clock in early because of it. The state of Texas also continues to refuse the fact that what they have here at their facilities across the state are spoiled, controlling, criminals who like to have their way REGARDLESS of the facility program or the charges the youth will get when they go apeshet and hurt themselves, others or staff. These motherfckrs called youth just don't care and can care less if they are copping out and nothing is done curb their appetite for destruction. So after you begin to lose morale and they have beaten you to a pulp with all the extra hours and stress you begin to slip up and make mistakes that can and will cost you your job. – less
The facility rooted some good youth along with some staff that help make better choices for them
Juvenile Correction Officer (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 21, 2013
I felt being with this agency 20 years Management should and could have been part of the problem ensuring the facility was manage 24hour a day also being fair and consistent with the staff and youth.
Not a stable place to work.
Investigator II/Case Manager II (Former Employee), Corsicana, TXNovember 15, 2013
Working the state always keep you edge about the stability of your employment.
Central Office
Juvenile Corrections Officer VI (Former Employee), Giddings, TXOctober 27, 2013
Central Office and Admin staff have lost control of what the job is. They are more worked about stats then getting what the public has trusted them to do.
Very stressful place
JUVENILE CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Former Employee), Corsicana, TXSeptember 10, 2013
Assisting youth with problems they may occur during the day. Deescalating situations with youth.
Juvenile Correctional Facility
Juvenile Corrections Officer V (Current Employee), Mart, TXSeptember 1, 2013
Pros: helping out troubled and disturbed teens
Cons: no work life balance with a hazardous and stressful environment
I have spent most of my time dealing with juvenile correctional youths whom have caused a variety of criminal activities such as; harm to innocent victims, heinous sexual assaults, sale or possession of drugs, and even involvement of gang activities.
benefits elsewhere are better... it all depends on your perspective
Prior Corrections Industry (Former Employee), TexasAugust 23, 2013
You may think the benefits are good, if you never had any benefits at all.... not what they use to be, there is much better, keep looking expect the schedule to consume your life if you are a JCO, you will swing work wise all over the place. No raises ever because it is never ever in the budget except for top people who somehow manage to get/budget – more... fat bonuses. Plus, even if they decide to budget for raises, you have to score "exceeds" satisfactory, not good enough to be satisfactory.. imagine some of the back stabbing, manipulative competition that goes along with this too, when they will only give a single budgeted raise to one person out of five, or ten people? This is one of their methods, but this depends on which location, what supervisor, maybe even what day it is and/or what side of the bed they got up on. I'd just say, if you are looking and have nothing to go to, this they might have something, a nice filler, if you are in a career for corrections, but otherwise, I would keep looking, they are still lacking in many areas, especially in the department of how they treat their employees. – less
no comment
Juvenile Correctional Officer 4 (Former Employee), Gainesville, TXJuly 12, 2013
if you are desperate for a job this is were to go,this place has a big turn around.
Last Chance Not First Choice
Juvenile Correctional Officer V (Current Employee), Brownwood, TXJune 12, 2013
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: kingdoms and silos, unqualified superintendent, ongoing scheduling issues, very low morale
Look before you leap! I would not recommend this place to friends, family or anyone I cared about. It is riddled with problems that management tries hard to coverup just like putting lipstick on a pig.
Very productive work environment
Correctional Officer Supervisor, (Former Employee), Waco, TXMay 30, 2013
Pros: working with a wide group of different individuals
Cons: summer time (heat)
I learned that patience is the most important factor in this type of job.. Well any job now that i think about it.
Job summary as a JCO at TJJD
Juvenile Correctional Officer III (Former Employee), Mart, TXMay 29, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: always late relief due to the lack of staff coming to work on time
A typical day of supervising young between the ages of 12 and 18 years of age. Escorting them to education, movie and game room, chow hall, med trips, and church services. Supervising, 8-12 youth on a pod setting with chores, games and television. Youth are on a 16 hour schedule everyday; going to be according to their behavior.